Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page In the beginning...

Old 04-13-01   #1
Sire
Darkness Incarnate

Sire is on a distinguished road
Credits: 90,618
We create our gods in order to explain what we don't understand. There is an evolution of deities as parts of each is adapated into various new cultures throughout the history of man.

The hunter/gatherers had their gods and the earliest deities were those of the stars and seasons responsible for the successes or failures of our early ancestors.

As we progress we developed minor deities responsible for skills, emotions, fear and so on. The popular or powerful gods survive.

Many still practice the earliest known forms of religion that were eventually called pagan religions and famtrads. On some level, humanity needs to believe in something. The ego of mankind that this life couldn't possibly be all there is, and that we are so meaningful that a higher power created us. That we are indeed, unique and beautiful snowflakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
|

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-01   #2
slit
Moans in the Night

slit
Credits: 330
I think that religion has come full circle. . worshiping natural forces/things/spirits, anamorphasizing nature, personify goddess/god's, a unipersonal deity. . .

Now people are seeing the univeral in the history of religion/philosophy, and the question is one of spirituality rather than religion. There are so many paths to enlightenment/the universal/ a goddess or god.
Old 04-14-01   #3
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 3,276
...Now, valid reasons why it's good for the ego to give a humoring but condescending view of the entire human race aside, why is the idea of there actually being a God or gods so ridiculous? Is the idea that maybe people living 6,000 years ago knowing something you don't that frightening?
Old 04-14-01   #4
lost and found
New Blood

lost and found
Credits: 136
Quote:
Originally posted by Sire
We create our gods in order to explain what we don't understand
Or could it be possible that we explain Him away because we don't undertstand Him?

Just a thought...
Old 04-14-01   #5
Pyrric Dicktory
fuck off

Pyrric Dicktory is on a distinguished road
Credits: 86,393
Quote:
Originally posted by Sire
We create our gods in order to explain what we don't understand. There is an evolution of deities as parts of each is adapated into various new cultures throughout the history of man.

your half-way correct...different localities will not adapt the gods of other localities. the chinese will not have the same gods as the romens, vikinings, and so forth.

Quote:
The hunter/gatherers had their gods and the earliest deities were those of the stars and seasons responsible for the successes or failures of our early ancestors.

no proof has been found to state concreatly that the hunter/gatherers had gods. it is implied though.

Quote:
As we progress we developed minor deities responsible for skills, emotions, fear and so on. The popular or powerful gods survive.

the most powerful gods did survive and the only reason society still has those who worship celtic gods is wholely for the sake of difference.

Quote:
Many still practice the earliest known forms of religion that were eventually called pagan religions and famtrads.

i havn't met a person who practices the old sumerian or babaloynian gods.

Quote:
On some level, humanity needs to believe in something.

ever read neitzche's morals and ethics without the presence of a god-like power?

Quote:
The ego of mankind that this life couldn't possibly be all there is, and that we are so meaningful that a higher power created us. That we are indeed, unique and beautiful snowflakes.

you really should have added something to tie this in because there is nothing to critque on this one.

JUST ME AND YOU FOREVER.............................
Old 04-16-01   #6
Shadow_Born
Lurks in the Shadows

Shadow_Born
Credits: 2,193
I agree with the ego statement. Mankind is so egocentric they're convinced it took something intelligent to come up with them--however i must say that it would take an idiot to actually create such a species . . .
Old 04-17-01   #7
SOLACE
The Abused Concept

SOLACE is on a distinguished road
Credits: 137,187
Energy...

Ok...i'm the one way off topic but just hear me out... We are energy, energy never end but rather that gets made to another type of its self! maybe we all have a different end to ourselfs, this is why it is better to believe then not to! What i mean is what ever you believe in will be your end...maybe that energy that you whold through out life finaly gets made into the end of your life...want to relive your life...thats what happens, waht to come back as something else...thats what happens, want to just stay in a dream...thats what happens! All cause of the energy you have! It all gets made into the end of what you believe!!! But if i'm right...only if i'm right...then i fear for you's that believe in nothing!!!
Old 04-17-01   #8
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I believe the real ego trip is that every petty little atheist pseudo-intellectual today believes they're more intelligent than 99% of the human population to ever exist.
Old 04-17-01   #9
slit
Moans in the Night

slit
Credits: 330
It's all to do with what is considered as important and what is privaleged as 'knowledge' - people are not encouraged to explore spirituality but to focus on the material. It reminds me of a bit from a Douglas Adams book which goes something along the lines of: 'Human beings had always considered themselves more intellegent than dolphins because they had had wars and built things while the dolphins just spent their time playing in the sea. The dolphins considered themselves superior for exactly the same reasons.' The actual quote is much better but I can't find the book right now.
Old 04-17-01   #10
TwilightKitten
Darkness Incarnate

TwilightKitten
Credits: 7,423
Why does it matter how we came to be? Just be.
There's a universal justice
And the eyes of truth
Are always watching you

~Enigma~ ("Cross of Changes")
Old 04-17-01   #11
Shadow_Born
Lurks in the Shadows

Shadow_Born
Credits: 2,193
Everyone thinks they're right. They might not admit it, but they wouldn't think what they do if they didn't truly believe it. So maybe we all have ego problems . . .
Old 04-17-01   #12
TwilightKitten
Darkness Incarnate

TwilightKitten
Credits: 7,423
But of course, humans are egocentric creatures.
There's a universal justice
And the eyes of truth
Are always watching you

~Enigma~ ("Cross of Changes")
Old 04-18-01   #13
Demetri666
Lurks in the Shadows

Demetri666
Credits: 498

the only reason humans have created gods is for their lack of responcibility...for they do not feel that if something bad happens that they have the capacity to blame themselves.
Old 04-19-01   #14
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I'd love to know what logic you're basing that statement on.