Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Vegetarianism

Old 03-28-08   #1
Mia~ow
Dark Misanthrope

Mia~ow will become famous soon enoughMia~ow will become famous soon enough
Credits: -2,625
Vegetarianism

Vegetarianism is something I've thought about doing for years but never actually got around to until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm a huge lover of animals, and despise animal cruelty - so after restricting my meat intake to free range only (for quite some years) , it seemed the natural and logical next step.

I'd like to hear from other veggies - advice on nutrition (I'm already taking veggie flaxseed capsules in place of cod liver oil) - recipe ideas, inspiration etc.

What I don't want is people posting pictures / videos of animal cruelty - I've seen enough!

I'd also like constructive opinions of meat eaters because I think it makes for interesting discussion (I myself still wonder what would happen to certain animals if farmers didn't 'look after' them).

Cheers!
Old 03-28-08   #2
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,462
I tried vegetarianism for a year or two when i was 18 or 19, I became anemic and sick. Vegetarianism is not natural for humans IMO.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08   #3
Mia~ow
Dark Misanthrope

Mia~ow will become famous soon enoughMia~ow will become famous soon enough
Credits: -2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy the Kidd View Post
I tried vegetarianism for a year or two when i was 18 or 19, I became anemic and sick. Vegetarianism is not natural for humans IMO.
Yea - my sister tried it a few years ago too, and she was also aneamic and sick - but I don't think she ate properly - she didn't substitute any vitamins and minerals that she was missing from meat.

I'm interested though Billy, as to why you decided to try it. Was it for humane reasons, or health reasons?
Old 03-28-08   #4
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,473
It is pretty human and natural. Just a choice. You have to eat correctly even if you eat meat. Most people just eat your average veggie fare and forego the ones that actually provide the nutrients you need. BEANS!!! Eat lots of them

My dad has been a vegetarian for over 40 years. He is 71 and still works and hikes all over the place. The Docs say that he is healthier than some 40 year olds.
I still eat meat by choice.

Just do not be stupid and you can make it work. I was one for 7 years and never got sick or unhealthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-28-08   #5
dk123
Lost Soul

dk123 will become famous soon enoughdk123 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 263,074
I was a vegetarian for probably about a year and a half, bordering on 2 years. I did it because of health problems. I have serious digestive system problems, that seem to move around and shift and suchlike from place to place in my digestive system. Everything from irritated bowel, to stomach ulcers to grumbling appendix and close on peritonitis.

A friend of mine suffered from grumbling appendix and was a vegetarian. her pain was nowhere near as bad as mine, so I decided to give it a go. I had a proper varied diet, making sure I had everything...

but I got rediculously ill. I seriously can't say how much pain i was in, how it fucked up my insides and how i wish i hadn't done it.

Plus i love the taste of meat way too much

ain't much better than a properly grilled and seasoned veal steak

Last edited by dk123; 03-28-08 at 20:43.
Old 03-28-08   #6
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

Spikess is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,982
my sis has been veggie for atleast 15 years, and it would probably have been longer if she had gotten her way when she was a kid. she has just never liked the taste of meat, plus once she got older,never liked the treatment of the animals either. but she has never had any health problems because of it, and doesnt take any extra vitamins either.

i was veggie for five years, but sucked at it. never had any health issues with it either.

maybe some folks are just better suited for it?

Old 03-28-08   #7
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
I started trying it in my late teens-early twenties, got off track with it a few years after that then went back to it and that is how I basically eat now. I'm not full on vegan but I don't eat red meat or organ meat of any kind, and I'm gradually taking it further to almost doing away with the poultry. I feel and am healthier and better than I have in my entire life.

As Dyshade said about making it healthy...I totally agree. If you're going to do it, changing eating habits that much is a major lifestyle change. Educate yourself well about it first. Get to really know your body and know what works for you.

I'll say one thing though...regardless if anyone decides to eat meat or not, I will always laud the idea that eating well and balanced nutrition as often as possible can do wonders for you in all sorts of ways. It's a commitment but what it does for your over all wellness is incredible. It's such a rudimentary thing that anyone can do for themselves to improve their quality of life. It's sad that more people don't.
Old 03-29-08   #8
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
Don't go cold turkey.. Your body is used to certain things. If you do, you'll have problems.
Feel free to do it, but cut out just one thing at a time.. If you go 'cold turkey'. Your body will rebell!!!

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 03-29-08   #9
SwampWitch
x

SwampWitch is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,583
I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for nineteen years; I did it for moral reasons. I studied nutrition and had a very healthy diet. I've always avoided junk like refined sugar, artificial flavors and colors, and highly processed foods, and focused on eating whole foods that do not come in any kind of package.

Unfortunately, I have some health issues that were not caused by vegetarianism but were exasperated by it. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (an autoimmune disease) and I could not tolerate synthetic thyroid and only desiccated (real) thyroid hormone helped. Right there, I realized, I am no longer a vegetarian.

I also needed more B-12 in my diet to supplement my Hydroxocobalamin injections for Pernicious Anemia. And my protein was low and I couldn't eat soy because it is bad for your thyroid gland.

I started realizing it was either me or the animals so I broke down and started eating fish and meat again. I found myself CRAVING meat for the first year. A steak was like ambrosia and I wanted it all the time!

If you want to be a true vegetarian, you need to avoid hidden animal products like rennet (used in most cheeses), gelatin (used in some yogurts and many jelly-like products), and anchovies (in condiments like Worcestershire sauce).

My favorite cookbooks are Anna Thomas' Vegetarian Epicure and VE Book II. Every recipe is fantastic and I still use these recipes often since we don't eat meat every night. Lots of people love the Moosewood cookbooks but I found the recipes to be very time-consuming for dishes that weren't that great.

Like others have said, get informed about nutrition so you make wise food choices. Good luck!

Last edited by SwampWitch; 03-29-08 at 13:24.
Old 03-29-08   #10
dk123
Lost Soul

I'm beginning to notice a pattern in these posts.

The words - 'I' and 'Vegetarian'

seem to commonly be wrapped around the words 'was a'
Old 03-29-08   #11
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

i know, damn those cows for being so tasty!

Old 03-29-08   #12
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
HAHA when folks come to the Deli and ask for roast beef. I ask them if they want it Mooing, or non-mooing!!

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 03-29-08   #13
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

what's the options for chicken!?

Old 03-29-08   #14
Axantha
peripheral visionary

Axantha is on a distinguished road
Credits: 95,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncletiggs View Post
HAHA when folks come to the Deli and ask for roast beef. I ask them if they want it Mooing, or non-mooing!!
I want it so rare a good vet can have it back on it's feet in 5 minutes.

I tend to eat more buffalo and wild game then I do beef anymore. I've always eaten poultry and fish. But I do have some veggie dishes I make.

but with my diabetes being diet controlled, I have to be very picky on what and how I eat. A vegetarian diet actually would be harder for me becuause of the higher carb counts and glycemic index in alot of vegetables

That which does not kill us hurts like hell.
Old 03-29-08   #15
dk123
Lost Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axantha View Post
I want it so rare a good vet can have it back on it's feet in 5 minutes.
Ever been to Belgium?
Old 03-30-08   #16
Axantha
peripheral visionary

Axantha is on a distinguished road
Credits: 95,266
Honestly don't think that I have.

But the 9 months I spent tooling around Europe, I was drunk enough I might have been and just don't remember it.

That which does not kill us hurts like hell.
Old 03-30-08   #17
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,740
What morals/ethics do you violate by eating jell-o??

Old 03-30-08   #18
dk123
Lost Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axantha View Post
Honestly don't think that I have.

But the 9 months I spent tooling around Europe, I was drunk enough I might have been and just don't remember it.
Uh... okay...

You'd remember it if you did. The Belgians not only make the best beer for wife beaters (and some of the best fruity beers in the world) the second best chocolate in the world and invented the delicious belgian waffle with hot chocolate fudge sauce, but they cook THE best steak. Seriously.

Proper Belgian Steak (and if you've got the nads - Steak Tartare) is pure pleasure in meat form. Sinking your teeth into a slice of the best cut, cured and perfectly cooked meat that tastes so fresh and full of flavour, it's beyond comparison. you'd swear if you looked to the left, you'd see the cow staring you right in the face.
Old 03-30-08   #19
dk123
Lost Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lady View Post
What morals/ethics do you violate by eating jell-o??
you've got to call that "Jelly" now
Old 03-30-08   #20
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzy View Post
you've got to call that "Jelly" now
Suck it.