Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Mayhem
Reload this Page The age of aquarius

Old 02-28-13   #61
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on his heads. His tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that he might devour her child the moment it was born.
Old 02-28-13   #62
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,595
Cool story, bro. Can't wait for the sequel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13   #63
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

The sequel to the bible? Oh. You're probably looking for this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Bible
Old 04-08-13   #64
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Meteor shower date is evening april 22, 2013 through to evening april 23, 2013
Greatest visibility will be at night on april 22.
Old 04-08-13   #65
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,389
Marking my calander!
Old 04-09-13   #66
neonwraith
Voice of Unerring Reason

neonwraith
Credits: 108,935
Is that a US visibility thing?

Neon
As much as if the deed were done.

If wishing damns us, you and I
Are damned to all our hearts content.
Come then we may at least enjoy
Some pleasure for our punishment..."

Sir Thomas More
Old 04-09-13   #67
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Yes, central america is the prime locale for observation i believe, probably worth researching, though I'm not going to mexico to see some falling stars lol.
Old 04-23-13   #68
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Pffffawwww. They turned the damned fog machine on, of course, so I can't see nothing. WTF.
Old 06-01-13   #69
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

While weather patterns surely will fling some hurricanes our way this year, the real issue will be earthquakes. Because of polar shift, the magnitude of regular earthquakes WILL be increased. So places with very active fault lines like the new Madrid fault line could see a powerful shake or two.
Old 06-01-13   #70
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

he potential for the recurrence of large devastating earthquakes, such as the 1811-1812 series of events, and the effects on heavily populated cities within and adjacent to the New Madrid Seismic Zone has sparked a great deal of ongoing research concerning mitigation and hazard reduction of possible future earthquakes. If an event equal in magnitude to the largest 1811-1812 quake occurred today, it is estimated that the loss of life would be great and property damage would be in the billions of dollars. Many scientists believe we are overdue for a large (>6.0) earthquake, and that through research, public awareness, and emergency preparedness may be able to substantially decrease these estimated losses. Based upon historically and instrumentally recorded earthquakes, some scientists suggest the probability for a magnitude 6.0 or greater earthquake is 25-40% in the next 50 years and a 7-10% probability for a magnitude 7.5-8.0 within the next 50 years (source: USGS Fact Sheet FS-131-02)
Old 06-02-13   #71
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 2,809
Polar shift? Like that shitty movie where they dig to the center of the Earth?
Old 06-02-13   #72
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Journey to the center of the earth by Jules Verne? That movie was badass man. Well anyways no, keep up, the earth poles are rapidly shifting due to A.) galactic allignment B.) increase in gravity in the dark rift C.) collisions with meteors D.) melting of the polar ice caps E.) redistribution in the earth's mantle.
Old 06-02-13   #73
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 2,809
Yeah, that sounds like bullshit.

No, the movie was called like the Core or something.
Old 06-02-13   #74
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

true story bro, I couldnt make this up I wanted to. http://www.npr.org/2011/01/14/132934...ing-north-pole
Old 11-13-13   #75
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik Simon View Post
A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on his heads. His tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that he might devour her child the moment it was born.
So, everybody is flipping out about the comet coming back around and it's trajectory, just like about this time two years ago. The truth is, the likelihood that such a large object could come in at the exact angle to counter it's own gravi field and ours to impact earth is basically impossible, it's the smaller stellar objects like meteors that astronomers call planet killers, not comets. In reality, we've been aware of this event for years and have been talking about it, everyone accuses the gov't and media of not warning people, even though we've been discussing this for years, and I specifically have focused on preparing you fir the icefire Dragon. You can't blame them for not making a huge media sensation about it because really, it's not a huge deal, the threat of nuclear war outweighs comets as threats to the planet by a long shot.
When a comet passes by the earth, the tail can release debris that can spray at the earth, this is a documented event that has occurred many times in earth 's lifetime, the debris, mostly made from ice, will mostly melt up upon entry, however some debris may make impact, but it's not the icefire that is the main threat, it's the bedlam and anarchy that occurs after the event. You guys need to chill the fuck out and brace yourself instead of freaking out about something that occurs ALL THE TIME. You just don't know about it, there are always debris barreling toward earth that are way more volatile than a comet. Chill da fuck out, shit happens.
Old 11-13-13   #76
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Now pay attention, even if this event occurs, the initial environmental impact isn't the main threat here. As we discussed earlier, if a space object impacts earth at the correct angle, that can be a major attribution to the polar shift, which is the rapidity of the movement of magnetic north, because magnetic south is stable. Polar shift is what can cause problems with environmental events later on.
Old 11-21-13   #77
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

'Monster' cosmic blast zipped harmlessly by Earth
Associated Press By SETH BORENSTEIN 5 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Astronomers call it the monster. It was the biggest and brightest cosmic explosion ever witnessed. Had it been closer, Earth would have been toast.

Orbiting telescopes got the fireworks show of a lifetime last spring when they spotted what is known as a gamma ray burst in a far-off galaxy.

The only bigger display astronomers know of was the Big Bang — and no one, of course, was around to witness that.

"This burst was a once-in-a-century cosmic event," NASA astrophysics chief Paul Hertz said at a news conference Thursday.

But because this blast was 3.7 billion light-years away, mankind was spared. In fact, no one on Earth could even see it with the naked eye.

A gamma ray burst happens when a massive star dies, collapses into a brand-new black hole, explodes in what's called a supernova and ejects energetic radiation. The radiation is as bright as can be as it travels across the universe at the speed of light.

A planet caught in one of these bursts would lose its atmosphere instantly and would be left a burnt cinder, astronomers say.

Scientists might be able to detect warning signs of an impending gamma ray burst. But if a burst were headed for Earth — and the chances of that happening are close to zero, astronomers say — there wouldn't be anything anybody could do about it.

NASA telescopes in orbit have been seeing bursts for more than two decades, spotting one every couple of days. But this one, witnessed on April 27, set records, according to four studies published Thursday in the journal Science.

It flooded NASA instruments with five times the energy of its nearest competitor, a 1999 blast, said University of Alabama at Huntsville astrophysicist Rob Preece, author of one of the studies.

It started with a star that had 20 to 30 times the mass of our sun but was only a couple of times wider, so it was incredibly dense. It exploded in a certain violent way.

In general, gamma ray bursts are "the most titanic explosions in the universe," and this one was so big that some of the telescope instruments hit their peak, Preece said. It was far stronger and lasted longer than previous ones.

"I call it the monster," Preece said. In fact, one of the other studies, not written by Preece, used the word "monster" in its title, unusual language for a scientific report.

One of the main reasons this was so bright was that relative to the thousands of other gamma ray bursts astronomers have seen, the monster was pretty close by cosmic standards. A light-year is almost 6 trillion miles.

Most of the bursts NASA telescopes have seen have been twice as distant as this one. Other explosions could be this big, but they are so much farther away, they don't seem so bright when they reach Earth, the studies' authors say.

Astronomers say it is incredibly unlikely that a gamma ray burst — especially a big one like this — could go off in our galaxy, near us. Harvard's Avi Loeb, who wasn't part of the studies, put the chances at less than 1 in 10 million.

Our galaxy doesn't have many of the type of star that lends itself to gamma ray bursts, said Charles Dermer, a co-author of the studies and an astrophysicist at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory.

"The chance of anything happening and being dangerous is virtually nil," Dermer said.

Also, because a burst is concentrated like a focused searchlight or a death beam, it has to be pointing at you to be seen and to be dangerous.

"Either it's pointed at us or it's not," Preece said. "If it's not, yay! Civilization survives and we see maybe a supernova. If it were pointed at us, then it matters very much how far away it is in our galaxy. If it's in our local arm, well, we had a good run."

Some theorize that a mass extinction on Earth 450 million years ago was caused by a gamma ray burst in a nearby part of our galaxy, but Dermer said that's unlikely.

We don't see gamma ray bursts from the surface of Earth because the atmosphere obscures them and because most of their light is the type we cannot see with our eyes. That's why NASA has satellites that look for them.

This burst was so bright telescopes on Earth saw a brief flash in the constellation Leo.

For scientists, this was a wow moment.

"These are really neat explosions," said Peter Michelson, a Stanford physicist who is the chief scientist for one of the instruments on a NASA gamma ray burst-spotting telescope. "If you like fireworks, you can't beat these. Other than the Big Bang itself, these are the biggest there are."

The burst "is part of the cycle of birth and life and death in the universe," Michelson said. "You and I are made of the stuff that came from a supernova
Old 11-21-13   #78
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

See, there's always some shit plummeting at us, chill out.
Old 12-07-13   #79
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

4.5 magnitude earthquake rattles central Oklahoma

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A 4.5-magnitude earthquake in central Oklahoma shook residents Saturday, just weeks after the two-year anniversary of the strongest earthquake ever recorded in the Sooner state.

The shaking is increasingly commonplace in the state, so after the initial surprise, customers at a central Oklahoma restaurant returned their attention to an in-state college football rivalry game.

Marty Doepke, general manager of Pops Restaurant in Arcadia, said there was no damage at the restaurant that's known for its selection of some 600 soft drinks -- hundreds of which are displayed along shelves.

"It shook a bit, that's for sure. Everybody just kind of stopped and looked around," Doepke said. "Everybody almost automatically knew what it was and then went back to watching the Bedlam game" -- Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.

MSN Weather: Oklahoma adopts California-style earthquake precautions

MSN Weather: Learn more about earthquakes

The earthquake was centered near Arcadia, about 14 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, and was about 5 miles deep, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management spokeswoman Keli Cain said no injuries or damage were reported. A spokesman for the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office did not immediately return a phone call.

Oklahoma is crisscrossed with fault lines that generate frequent small earthquakes, most too weak to be felt. But after decades of limited seismic activity in this region, earthquakes have become more common in the last several years.

The strongest earthquake on record in Oklahoma was a magnitude-5.6 earthquake on Nov. 5, 2011. That time, the football stadium in Stillwater, about 70 miles north of Oklahoma City, started shaking just after OSU defeated No. 17 Kansas State and left ESPN anchor Kirk Herbstreit wide-eyed during a postgame telecast.

That temblor also toppled castle-like turrets at St. Gregory's University in Shawnee, some 40 miles east of Oklahoma City.

Bing: See videos of the tornado that struck Oklahoma City in May 2013

MSN Weather: How to prepare for an earthquake

Since 2009, more than 200 magnitude-3.0 or greater earthquakes have hit the state's midsection, according to the Geological Survey. Scientists are not sure why seismic activity has spiked, but one theory is that it could be related to wastewater from oil and gas drilling that is often discarded by injecting it deep into underground wells.

Saturday's tremor was felt in the northern Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond, where Gabriella Devero, a University of Central Oklahoma student, was visiting her grandmother and experienced her first earthquake.

"My jaw was just wide open, 'Was I actually going through an earthquake?'" Devero said about her initial thoughts. "Then I was like, 'Yep this is actually an earthquake.'

She continued: "My grandma came into the room and was like 'Gabby are you OK,' and I was like, 'yes, I'm just terrified.'"
Old 12-10-13   #80
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

By Maria Danilova, The Associated Press

Police clashed with protesters and tore down their tents in the main square of the Ukrainian capital early Wednesday, in an escalation of a weeks-long standoff threatening the leadership of President Viktor Yanukovych.

Hundreds of police in riot gear moved on the camp at Independence Square, dismantling barricades and pushing demonstrators who fought back. Scuffles broke out between police and opposition lawmakers who arrived to defend the camp.

Several thousand protesters shouted "Shame!" and "We will stand," and sang the Ukrainian national anthem. An Orthodox priest read prayers.

The protests began in late November when Yanukovych backed away from a pact that would deepen the former Soviet republic's economic ties with the 28-nation EU — a pact that surveys showed was supported by nearly half the country's people. The agreement would make Ukraine more Western-oriented and would be a significant loss of face for Russia, which has either controlled or heavily influenced Ukraine for centuries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The confrontation at the protest camp unfolded as EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton and U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland were in the city to try to talk to the government and the opposition and work out a solution.

One protester undressed to his waist, got down on his knees and shouted "Stop this ... We are one people!"

An opposition lawmaker laid down on the snow try to block a police vehicle from advancing to the camp.

Several protesters were injured. Some policemen helped injured activists up from the ground and moved them away.

Aiming to defuse the crisis, Yanukovych had called Tuesday for the release of the demonstrators previously arrested in the protests and vowed that Ukraine is still interested in integrating with Europe.

His efforts, however, stopped far short of opposition demands that his government resign, and the two sides appeared no closer to a resolution that would chart out a secure future for their economically troubled nation.

Soon after Yanukovych spoke in a televised broadcast, top opposition leader Arseniy Yatsenyuk told demonstrators at the square that the protest leaders were still insisting on their key demands: that Yanukovych fire the government, appoint a new one committed to signing an association agreement with the EU, release all the arrested protesters, and punish the police who beat peaceful demonstrators.

Riot police have twice previously dispersed demonstrators with clubs and tear gas, beating some severely enough to send them to intensive care.

Yanukovych, in a televised meeting with Ukraine's three previous presidents, said he asked the prosecutor-general to ensure the release of some of the protesters — those who haven't committed grave crimes and who have children or families.

"Certainly, such people will be released," the president said.

Investigations into the actions of the freed protesters would still continue, he said.

Yanukovych also vowed to renew talks with the EU on the trade and political agreement. He indicated he was still willing to sign the EU deal at a summit in spring, but only if the EU can offer better financial terms. He said at present, the EU agreement could cost economically struggling Ukraine billions in lost trade with Russia, which has used trade threats to try to keep Ukraine in its orbit.

"We want to achieve conditions that satisfy Ukraine, Ukrainian producers, the Ukrainian people," Yanukovych said in the televised meeting. "If we find understanding and if such compromises are reached, the signature will be put" on paper.

The EU's enlargement commissioner, Stefan Fule, said Tuesday the bloc was ready to step "up the European Union's financial assistance programs to help Ukraine implement the agreement, when signed."

But Yanukovych appeared unreceptive to the criticism voiced by Leonid Kravchuk, Ukraine's first president, who said that beating protesters was simply unacceptable.

"Law enforcement must know that it is forbidden to beat people. And there can be no justification" to do so, a stern Kravchuk said, sitting with Yanukovych and the two other former leaders at a table decorated with blue-and-yellow flowers — the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

Yanukovych insisted both sides were guilty.

Kravchuk and his successor, Leonid Kuchma, hinted that Prime Minister Mykola Azarov's resignation could help resolve the crisis, but Yanukovych did not comment on that.

At a separate event, Kravchuk called for a nationwide round table involving both authorities and opposition members, but it was unclear when or how such a meeting would take place.

Ukraine's dire economic straits have also been a factor in its political crisis. The country of 46 million people has been in recession for more than a year, and the government is in desperate need of foreign funding to avoid a default.

Moscow has worked aggressively to derail the deal with the EU and lure Kiev into its own economic group by offering price discounts and loans as well as imposing painful trade restrictions.

Yanukovych said he would renew talks with the International Monetary Fund about getting a bailout loan.

But some analysts were skeptical that Yanukovych's pro-EU talk was genuine, believing he was still trying to play off Russia against the bloc.

"I am not sure these comments will be taken that seriously after the fiasco in the run-up to Vilnius," where the agreement was to have been signed, said Tim Ash, an emergency markets analyst with Standard Bank in London.