Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page The Zombie Survival Guide

Old 10-25-10   #1
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Sixgun_Symphony is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 280,566
Story The Zombie Survival Guide

The Zombie Survival Guide : complete protection from the living dead - Max Brooks.

This book is usually found in the humor section at the major bookstores. It is dark comedy, it's also well thought out. The author recommended tearing out the stairs from ground floor of buildings to limit access to upper stories. The living can use ladders to get up and down, which can be raised up when not in use.
Another bit of advise is that no place is safe, only safer. Which of course means that no one should ever let their guard down.

It's a great read, I really recommend it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 10-25-10 at 23:36. Reason: spelling
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10   #2
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 3,265
Fucking weeaboos and their katanas.

It was a good read otherwise though.
Old 10-26-10   #3
Iron's Rite
United States of Moronica

Location: "The forest folded it's branches around me, something passed by and I went into a dream." -Opeth
Iron's Rite is on a distinguished road
Credits: 253,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post
The author recommended tearing out the stairs from ground floor of buildings to limit access to upper stories. .

I have to wonder how often people freak out for whatever reason and do exactly that.
[hildegard von bingen - ordo virtutum]
Old 10-27-10   #4
Tentacledead
Immaculate Missconception

Tentacledead is on a distinguished road
Credits: 72,205
Having thought long and hard about it (Yes it arouses me that much) I've concluded that the ultimate melee weapon against zombies is the machete. The chainsaw has its attractions but like all power tool is guaranteed to let you down in a sticky situation. Not to mention that there's a reason lumberjacks tend to be missing limbs.

I've seen demonstrations of samurai swords against meat and they're impressive but a machete has some weight behind it and doesn't require special training or exercise to incur massive critical damage (Can't say fatal with zombies). By preference I'd have a machete and a flame thrower of some sort. A ring of fire is highly effective against zombies who are shrivelled and drying out already.

I don't need this book. Zombies go to bed at night thinking I'm under their bed/above their grave.

Old 10-27-10   #5
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

How very dark.

I would go with machete or crowbar. I think it's nonsensical to rely on a replica weapon some fucking 36 year old computer programmer who's never been on a date hangs on his wall. You want a tool that's actually used by people in high stress situations that you know isn't going to snap easily. Although having backups is going to be a necessity anyway.

Flamethrower seems horrible though. It assumes you're in an open area without anything particularly flammable around.
Old 10-27-10   #6
Iron's Rite

Location: "The forest folded it's branches around me, something passed by and I went into a dream." -Opeth
I'd fabricate my own weapons, first on the list would be a good war-hammer but you can improvise a really effective one just by say; mounting a standard, machinists ball-peen hammer on a long haft. One thing that would be a must for me and anyone I would join up with would be acquiring a suit of protective armor at some point. The titanium Chain-mail designed to protect against Sharks would be ideal but I'd just as soon go for a well-made suit of armor. Either one would be hard to find and expensive but well worth it.
Old 10-27-10   #7
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron's Rite View Post
I'd fabricate my own weapons, first on the list would be a good war-hammer but you can improvise a really effective one just by say; mounting a standard, machinists ball-peen hammer on a long haft. One thing that would be a must for me and anyone I would join up with would be acquiring a suit of protective armor at some point. The titanium Chain-mail designed to protect against Sharks would be ideal but I'd just as soon go for a well-made suit of armor. Either one would be hard to find and expensive but well worth it.
You think that the first thing you want to do in a post-zombie apocalypse world where movement and stamina are essential and sanitation is incredibly difficult to maintain is trap yourself in a giant metal can.
Old 10-28-10   #8
Iron's Rite

Didn't we already go over this argument? Well-designed armor does not limit mobility and the concept that it did was the invention of Victorian-era researchers operating under a superiority complex. They weighed suits armor designed for jousting in tournaments and ignored that armor was a highly versatile and adaptive means of defense.

Old 10-29-10   #9
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

You're full of shit if you think that you can run as fast or jump as far/high with an extra fifty pounds of metal on you.

Stamina here also refers to the fatigue incurred by wearing a closed insulation system (I'm assuming you have a helmet here or thew hole thing's pointless). Also limited breathing.

The most important thing is probably the sanitation though. You can't carry that shit around in your backpack, and if you were it all over the place (besides making a lot of noise), it's going to get really foul really quickly.
Old 10-30-10   #10
Iron's Rite

I argue that a degree of limited agility would be effectively compensated for by how effectively it would protect the wearer from attacks by anything but large groups of Zombies. Imagine if Zombie Outbreak survivors would only think to improvise something that covers the body and is Bite-proof, you could throw out the whole "Character-gets-bitten-and-hides-it" trope.
Old 11-02-10   #11
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

If you're stuck under a pile of grabbing zombies, it really doesn't matter if you're not immediately bitten. You won't be able to breathe or move and their fluid will leak in anyway. You're delaying the inevitable. You might as well hide under a blanket.
Old 01-07-11   #12
Autumn
Face in the Mist

Autumn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,575
wouldn't you rather a pole weapon? so you can keep them at a distance
Old 01-08-11   #13
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,740
From the oodles of hack n' slash games I've played, I can state that long weapons are slow. I'd go medium range, personally.

Old 01-08-11   #14
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Yeah, but realistically if you have to chop down more than a half dozen zombies you're probably dead anyway. People don't have that much stamina to keep swinging a machete in real life, and all you need is one bite and you're FUBAR'd. I mean I'd still go with the machete, but you want multiple weapons in case one breaks. I'd say carry a crowbar and machete for utility and a strong walking stick that can buy you some distance. Or double as a pole vault depending on the situation. Easy to drop and find another one as need be anyway.
Old 01-08-11   #15
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,342
Fucking pop culture has ruined zombies for me. The market is officially saturated.

Old 01-08-11   #16
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I kind of agree. At the same time, you can't let the fucking hipsters win.

Also there's a certain delicious irony to a genre that's a metaphor for mindless mass-consumer culture going mainstream.
Old 01-10-11   #17
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,462
I would keep a mace as my primary zombie defense weapon, like steal one from the history museam and use that, the kind that were made to be light but penetrate helmets, that would be ideal against zombies.

I would say no to the heavy armor too, I would wear thick leather.
Old 01-10-11   #18
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,342
all you're stopping is teeth and fingernails, some heavy riding leathers would get the job done, no need for full plate. Something to cover your mouth so that blood doesnt fly in as you're screaming and chopping. Also if the idea is to destroy the brain, I've got a wicked looking demo bar in my garage that would do the job nicely... but only after I ran out of ammo... which would be a very very long time.