Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page Favorite Anime

Old 06-12-09   #1
Axantha
peripheral visionary

Axantha is on a distinguished road
Credits: 95,266
Favorite Anime

I recently was exposed to a one called Code Gaess.

I'm hooked.

That which does not kill us hurts like hell.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09   #2
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,418
I think Billy and I should resurrect the old "Anime is dogshit" threads from back in the day. Because it's dog shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-09   #3
Phthonos
Moans in the Night

Phthonos is on a distinguished road
Credits: 13,773
Fuck that. I loved both series Code Geass. Show was one of the most Tzeenchian things I've ever watched.
Old 06-12-09   #4
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
Favorite anime ever- FLCL. Anyways have any of you guys ever seen code lyoko? It's pretty fun, kind of repetitive but cool and fun nonetheless.
Old 06-12-09   #5
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,377
OMG Furi Kuri. What a strange anime. Interesting at the same time though.
Old 06-12-09   #6
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Man, a couple beers, a couple niacin pills, a bag of tortilla chips and all six episodes of FLCL in the dark, that's my kind of night. So I have all these crazy anime dolls from the mall i've collected them for a while, and I have the little cat from flcl. Totally unimportant character but they made a stuffy of him so I had to get one.
Old 06-12-09   #7
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzy View Post
I'm currently watching 'The vision of Escaflowne' and 'Elfen Lied'
I had a friend recommend me to Escaflowne, tell me how it is!
Old 06-13-09   #8
Axantha
peripheral visionary

Axantha is on a distinguished road
Credits: 95,266
I agree with Tozzy. it's one of the best.

That which does not kill us hurts like hell.
Old 06-13-09   #9
Phthonos
Moans in the Night

Phthonos is on a distinguished road
Credits: 13,773
I did enjoy Elfen Lied. I tried to get my friend to watch it, but he couldn't get past the whole, opening scene is naked girl blowing people up with her mind, next scene is frail little amnesiac who can't do jack.

Personally I'm glad I got to the end. It featured just the right amount of gore.
Old 07-22-09   #10
LavendarWings
One Winged Angel

LavendarWings is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,286
One of my favorite anime shows is Wolf's Rain. They used to have it on Adult Swim, but then they quit showing it. It had so much emotion and I'm seriously thinking about buying the episodes..
We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we have deliberately and mistakenly perceived it to be.. The mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer.. Which is in reality no more than a reflexed image of ourselves.
Old 07-23-09   #11
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,956
I have a question;

Why the fuck do fans of Japanese comics and animated films feel the need to segregate their comics/animated films off from the rest of the world's?

Like, I'm not an otaku or whatever. I've never been to an anime convention. I happen to enjoy several Japanese comics and animated films- most of Studio Ghibli's stuff, Death Note, 20th Century Boys. I liked Sailor Moon and Naruto despite myself.

What I don't get is why Japanese (and sometimes Korean) comics are considered a different genre than Mexican, American, British, French, Chinese or other comics.

I get that there are cultural differences, but those exist between every nation's arts. As far as I'm aware, Osamu Tezuka is the grandfather of modern Japanese comics and animated films, and he was basically directly inspired by Walt Disney. It's not like there's not cross influence back and forth; you see plenty of Japanese influence in shows like Avatar, Invader Zim, Boondocks, Samurai Jack; pretty much all major comic brands at this point.

Like, I'm pretty sure if I set up a separate term for work done by African artists, segregated it off from civilized and accepted mainstream works and tried to ingratiate myself into the culture with thousands of other pasty white people at conventions that were all desperately trying to be African, it'd be considered racist or something.

Soooo... what gives?
Old 07-26-09   #12
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Sixgun_Symphony is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 280,566
Anime has a very distinctive style. Thats why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 07-26-09 at 15:46.
Old 07-26-09   #13
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Sixgun_Symphony is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 280,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lady View Post
I think Billy and I should resurrect the old "Anime is dogshit" threads from back in the day. Because it's dog shit.
There is some good anime. Problem is sorting it out from the bad anime.

Some titles that I liked.

Cowboy Bebop
Gunsmith Cats
The Irresponsible Captain Taylor

As a child, I really liked the works by Leiji Matsumoto. "Star Blazers" was the English title for "Space Battleship Yamato" and it played on early weekday mornings before we had to leave for school in the morning. Later years I got to watch "Arcadia of My Youth" and "Galaxy Express 999" which were excellent.

Old 07-27-09   #14
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post
Anime has a very distinctive style. Thats why.
1) So do Mexican/French/Taiwanese comics, as well as a bunch of others I'm sure.

2) Bullshit.
Old 07-27-09   #15
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah View Post
I have a question;

Why the fuck do fans of Japanese comics and animated films feel the need to segregate their comics/animated films off from the rest of the world's?

Like, I'm not an otaku or whatever. I've never been to an anime convention. I happen to enjoy several Japanese comics and animated films- most of Studio Ghibli's stuff, Death Note, 20th Century Boys. I liked Sailor Moon and Naruto despite myself.

What I don't get is why Japanese (and sometimes Korean) comics are considered a different genre than Mexican, American, British, French, Chinese or other comics.

I get that there are cultural differences, but those exist between every nation's arts. As far as I'm aware, Osamu Tezuka is the grandfather of modern Japanese comics and animated films, and he was basically directly inspired by Walt Disney. It's not like there's not cross influence back and forth; you see plenty of Japanese influence in shows like Avatar, Invader Zim, Boondocks, Samurai Jack; pretty much all major comic brands at this point.

Like, I'm pretty sure if I set up a separate term for work done by African artists, segregated it off from civilized and accepted mainstream works and tried to ingratiate myself into the culture with thousands of other pasty white people at conventions that were all desperately trying to be African, it'd be considered racist or something.

Soooo... what gives?
This black girl that was in the MH with me. OK one time I will tell you what MH stands for it's mental hospital, anyways, the girl's name was not important because I can't remember the shit. So, she does origami to the max, draws anime the best, like I wanted to fuck her anime portrait little girl in her white Kimono then get with her kinda drawing. I MEAN she was raw. I think I was supposed to forget her name. She gots muscles too a lil'.
Old 11-29-09   #16
Miasu Ayumu
Moans in the Night

Miasu Ayumu is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,906
There Is 3 Not So Sure If There New, Blood plus, Now there and Then, monster Im Hooked lmao
Old 11-29-09   #17
Cursed666
Face in the Mist

Cursed666 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 3,374
Inuyasha, now and then here and there, darker then black, gunslinger girl, and devil may cry.
Old 11-29-09   #18
ruban psychote
Face in the Mist

ruban psychote is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,373
What on earth is this anime garbagle?? What makes it so interesting!
My friend used to talk about it and I would stare at her and wonder why she was telling me all this, wasn't Pokemon for five year olds and recessed violence-addicted 30 year old paedos who felt painful affinities to strange shrieking yellow hybrid type creatures? But she said, no, it's Marvellous! I took her word for it.
Isn't anime the TV thing...and then manga must be the book, the book you read from back to front? V. sensible way of doing things. This I must agree with.
Old 11-29-09   #19
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
Hmm, you have a problem with the word 'very'?

LOL one of my son's friends learned Japanese just so she could watch then without the dubbing or captioning.

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 11-30-09   #20
Miasu Ayumu
Moans in the Night

Miasu Ayumu is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah View Post
I have a question;

Soooo... what gives?

Okay now i see your point and understand what your saying but us humans we fall in love with the beauty of it all. like gamers who go on
(www game faq.com) they love to talk ,complain and rant about the games they buy, also when it comes to celbertys, girls and guys going out to look like pete wentz or katy perry, and there new looks think about it its all entertainment, i just rather watch something like anime bc the story uplifts me. bc i know that this life isnt so great unless you make it and anime gives me that longing that i am hoping for, relgion same thing they shout it out whatever it may be. ppl who belive in something get excited so they grasp onto it and spread there happyness around so whats wrong with happyness? cant we let them enjoy the taste of life? enjoy something in this life as long as were happy i belive its worth it until the end.