Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Proper Diet & Exercise.... WTF??

Old 06-19-08   #1
Manifesto
Biggest Dick Contest Winner
Admin

Manifesto is on a distinguished road
Credits: 95,882
Proper Diet & Exercise.... WTF??

OK - so heres the story, some of you already know it but your gonna hear it again. I had my first son almost two years ago... I straightened my life out, got sober(ish), and started on my career in technology support. In the last two years, between the kids (now two sons) and the all consuming job I have put on some weight.

Heres my current stats:

height: 6'8"
weight: 285 lbs

As you can see i'm not a small person - but Im not in horrible shape, I have a good bit of muscle tone, its just covered in a thick layer of fat. I don't expect to look like these emo kids with their hip bones poking out over their lowrider buttpirate-pants. I would however like to lose 35 lbs and get in better shape.

Here are the steps I have taken so far, what im looking for are some other ideas that can help me lose some of this fat (35 lbs).

1. waking up at 5:30am to walk around the lake 3x (about 2 miles total)
2. I have cut all soda products out of my diet: I had some questions about this, because ive been substituting with Arizona Green Tea and someone said that might be just as bad as soda
3. I eat a salad for at least one meal a day
4. substitute ALL junkfood for trailmix, dried fruit...etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You're my bitch, Bitch. You'll do exactly what I tell you.

<3,

WL
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08   #2
Manifesto
Admin

also I am getting a puppy in a couple of weeks (siberian husky) so I will have someone to walk/jog with me.... hopefully by the time she is ready to run full speed I will be in good enough shape to be running around the lake.

I gotta quit smoking before I can start running, I feel like an old man after walking two miles.... out of breath and shaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<3,

WL
Old 06-20-08   #3
Manifesto
Admin

I dont have room for a bike/rower in my living room, but I do live on the beach.... so im trying to take advantage of the outdoors. the only problem is I have to do it before the sun comes up or its hot as hell.

<3,

WL
Old 06-20-08   #4
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
Did you mean 5'8"? cause at 6'8", 285, your thinnish..

Just so you know. every one i've known that quit smoking had a time period shortly after the craving went away that involved illness. You get that crap outta your system, and your body, apparently, realises all the other crap thats in you.. But it too passes.
Just thought i would give you a heads up on that.

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 06-20-08   #5
Manifesto
Admin

thanks - but still worth it.

<3,

WL
Old 06-20-08   #6
Manifesto
Admin

Im not obese or anything, just flabby.... need to tone up.

<3,

WL
Old 06-20-08   #7
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,203
Do some resistance workout stuff. Weight lifting etc, it will increase your metabolism, and use up a lot of calories in the muscle building process. Walking alone will not cut it.
Old 06-21-08   #8
Duddy
Bacon

Duddy
Credits: 128,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifesto View Post
OK - so heres the story, some of you already know it but your gonna hear it again. I had my first son almost two years ago... I straightened my life out, got sober(ish), and started on my career in technology support. In the last two years, between the kids (now two sons) and the all consuming job I have put on some weight.

Heres my current stats:

As you can see i'm not a small person - but Im not in horrible shape, I have a good bit of muscle tone, its just covered in a thick layer of fat. I don't expect to look like these emo kids with their hip bones poking out over their lowrider buttpirate-pants. I would however like to lose 35 lbs and get in better shape.

Here are the steps I have taken so far, what im looking for are some other ideas that can help me lose some of this fat (35 lbs).

2. I have cut all soda products out of my diet: I had some questions about this, because ive been substituting with Arizona Green Tea and someone said that might be just as bad as soda
Just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, I am a personal trainer, certified by ACE and ISSA.

Weight loss in it's simplest form comes from one thing: A negative calorie balance. I.e., burning more calories than you take in. It is, of course, much more in depth than that, but that's the most basic aspect of it. So for losing weight, the first two steps you need to take are 1) reduction in calories and 2) increase in exercise. Your walks around the lakes are great. Cardio is the best way to burn calories. Look for other things to do also, so you don't get bored with it. Since you live by the beach, try swimming as well, and jogging on the beach (which, by the way, was Ahnold's favorite form of cardio back in the day).

Since you're waking up at 0530, make sure you aren't cutting into your sleep too much. Many of your hormones, including testosterone and human growth hormone (both very important in weight loss) are produced in abundance during sleep. Not getting enough sleep can blunt the production of these and other hormones, which can make weight loss more difficult. I'm not telling you to sleep in, just make sure you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night.

Cutting out soda is an excellent thing to do. One can of that crap is 150-180 calories. Drink 5 a day and you're approaching 1000 calories that are nothing but sugar. The arizona green tea probably isn't much better if it's sweetened, as the calories won't be much different. Also, the specific sugar they use, high fructose corn syrup, is terrible for you. It's a synthetically made sugar from left-over corn starch. It has been linked to certain kinds of cancer, abdominal fat, and diabetes, and a bunch of other things. Start reading your ingredients label, and try to avoid stuff with high fructose corn syrup. If you really want something sweet to drink, try a bottle of vitamin water. They use a more natural sugar, and it's much much lower in calories, and it has some vitamins in it. Mostly vitamin B, which is good for maintaining healthy energy levels.

Salads are good. Try spinach leaves instead of lettuce sometime. Cheap, and much tastier, and softer, so when you try to push a forkful in your mouth you don't have a strand of greenage hitting you in the eye. Watch your dressings also, many of them are very high in calories/fat. Toss some diced chicken breast or something similar on there for some lean healthy protein.

Getting rid of junk food is a great idea. Trail mix is good stuff, just check the ingredients list and make sure it doesn't have a lot of added sugars. Dried fruit is good too, just again watch out for added sugars.

Fruit in general is a good idea for that matter. Some people complain that fruit has too much sugar. Well, first off the sugar found in 95% of fruit is very low glycemic, so it won't affect your blood sugar and insulin levels that much, and secondly fruit tastes awesome and has tons of vitamins and antioxidants in it, and it's low calorie.

A note on your food intake, just don't starve yourself, and try to eat a small meal or at least a snack every few hours. It doesn't really speed up your metabolism like everyone thinks it does, it just keeps you from getting too hungry, which causes a drop in blood sugar and can put your body in starvation mode. Eat plenty of lean protein, whole grain carbs, healthy fats, and fruits and veggies. And if you want some cool 'vintage' advice that's still actually true today, just hit up youtube and look up jack lalanne. That guy's awesome, and back in the 50s he knew more than most people know today. Plus it's just neat to see.

Also weight lifting is beneficial. While the act of weight lifting itself doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, it's an important factor in overall health and fitness. If you'd like, you can PM me with the days you'd like to workout and the equipment you have available, and I can help you create a workout routine. As you can see, I'll talk forever about this stuff if I don't watch it, so I'll end this post now. Any questions just PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Old 06-21-08   #9
Duddy
Bacon

Duddy
Credits: 128,079
Almost forgot to add, congratulations on this decision to get yourself in shape. In this crazy world one of the few things we truly have control of is our health (in most cases), so it's always nice to see someone trying to improve themselves this way. Again, congrats, and best of luck to you.
Old 06-23-08   #10
Manifesto
Admin

Thanks for the tips duddy - I appreciate your help.

I did some research and mt dew has 275 calories per 20 oz, Arizona has 100 per 11.5 ounce can.

mt dew was my addiction, I was drinking 3x bottles a day... now im down to 2 arizona cans.

<3,

WL
Old 06-23-08   #11
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
Quote:
I gotta quit smoking before I can start running, I feel like an old man after walking two miles.... out of breath and shaking.
DO IT. If you feel like you can't quit outright, cut down as much as possible. I can't even begin to tell you how worth it is, though trust me on this one. Eating a nutrient dense diet can help get you through the nicotine withdrawls and drink tons of water (if you've got healthy kidneys).

Good luck to you!
Old 06-23-08   #12
bloodbath581
Lurks in the Shadows

bloodbath581 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 3,065
I say good luck and i hope you lose the weight but i agree with billy work out lift weights so the fat doesent just go away it will turn into mucsle
Old 06-23-08   #13
Zelos
lo ucciderò con fuoco

Zelos is on a distinguished road
Credits: 12,583
All i eat is doritos and burger king.

Old 06-23-08   #14
sixxx(sic)six
satanic teddybear

Location: Under your bed with a very sharp knife...and nekkid!
sixxx(sic)six is on a distinguished road
Credits: 395,024
A little over a year ago I weighed 230 lbs, and I'm only 5'10". Today, I weigh 163 lbs, dropped 4 pant sizes (or 4 inches or whatever) and went from an X-Large to a medium. I'm proud of that. And it makes me happy to know that I now weigh the same as I did when I was a sophmore in High School, only today I exercise as well.

Twice a week I run/walk 3+ miles. I can't run it all because my lungs have been polluted by many, many, many, many, many cigarettes . . . something I've recently been trying to quit. The first time I ran almost a mile non-stop, I violently coughed up this black crap . . . ew!

I also use weights. I'm not a huge fanatic of weight lifting, but I use 45lb dumb-bells almost everyday in the most basic of exercises, and it shows.

As for food intake . . . my pirmary diet is mainly organic food. Some say organic food is hogwash, but it works for me. I really no longer eat fastfood (and I say this right after eating an Arby's roast beef sandwich . . . woopsie), but I occasionally eat crappy foods (pizza, burritos, gyros, etc.), but I try to eat as healthy as possible. I eat a lot of sushi, tuna, sardines, squid, etc. etc. etc., only buy cereal with high fiber content, eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible, buy some dried fruit and other organic snacks (like nuts or wasabi peas) and for my main meal intake: Amy's frozen organic dinners, organic soups, and of course sushi, tuna, etc.

I'd like to say I don't drink pop, and for the most part I don't drink the average pops (unless I'm hungover, then I'll occasionally have a coke or something), but I am addicted to both coffee and energy-drinks. But I also drink a lot of water. In fact, all I ever drink in any given day is some coffee and water, or some redbulls and water. But I know I have to get away form those energy-drinks, but now that I'm relatively skinny, I'm always so hyper and love keeping myself hyped up as much as possible.

I'm no expert on dieting or exercising, and what Duddy says is probably the thing to listen to, but I personally think you just have to do whatever it is you can do, with whatever you feel comfortable doing . . . then, when the day comes where you feel motivated to go that extra mile, make that become your new comfort level.

Last edited by sixxx(sic)six; 06-23-08 at 19:30.
Old 06-23-08   #15
The Fool
Court Jester

The Fool is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,944
ok are you looking to build muscle or lose weight? 2 very different things. as for quitting smokeing, find something you like to do with your hands, stress balls are good so are hand exercisers. you smoke when you are even slightly bored. many people replace the "something to do" with eating. find something you can do to take the place of smokeing when you get bored.

either path with diet go for protein, yes i'm drinking a beer right now, but try to stay from carbs. don't go crazy with it but less bread more lean meat and veggies. fried is bad.

exercise- i use weights, personal preference. running is good, swimming is better, marathon sex is best. no i'm not jokeing about that either. you use more muscle groups and mainly the muscle groups that need it most on a guy trying to lose. many peoples brains also allow the release more stored energy for the activity. swimming is better than running because of more muscle groups with more resistance.

this being said i'm 6' usually 215 to 230 lbs muscle, i work road construction, yes i'm the poor bastard out there laying asphalt in 100 degree weather. i also work out about 3 times a week at the gym. balance your weight with your diet and activity level. your activity drops so should your calory intake.
Old 06-24-08   #16
sixxx(sic)six
satanic teddybear

Location: Under your bed with a very sharp knife...and nekkid!
sixxx(sic)six is on a distinguished road
Credits: 395,024
Well, in place of cigarettes I now chew on toothpicks. It actually helps thus far.

I don't know really what I want to do . . . whether I really want to hit the gym and build up muscle or what. Right now, my main focus is burning off the rest of this belly fat. At 163 lbs, I still have quite a disgusting lil' blob of fat. Everything I read says cardio-stuff is the best way to burn it . . .

Overall, I'm like the dad from American Beauty: "I want to look good naked."
Old 06-24-08   #17
Manifesto
Admin

Muscle is all good, but id be happy to just be fit and toned. I have a good amount of muscle mass already, so I dont really want to build that - I just want to be able to see it.

<3,

WL
Old 06-24-08   #18
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,203
Quote:
Muscle is all good, but id be happy to just be fit and toned. I have a good amount of muscle mass already, so I dont really want to build that - I just want to be able to see it.
You have to hit the weights as well. If you have fat AND muscle mass you are going to lose both if you only do cardio etc. So I would suggest keeping up with resistance weight training as well as a lot of cardio. Curbing how much you eat and eating more nutritious food will also make a difference.
Old 06-25-08   #19
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
Quote:

Heres my current stats:

I only found one flaw in your diet, which actually might be what shooting for I could be dead wrong, and correct me if I'm wrong but, -Arizona green tea- = Sugar = Carbohydrates. -Salad- = Fiber = Carbohydrates, -Trail mix, dried fruit- = Sugar and Fiber = Carbohydrates. I'm no nutritionist but I'd say you'd have plenty of energy, but you'd have to work hard to burn off all those carbs. This is like the opposite of the Atkins diet.
Old 06-25-08   #20
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
As for arizona tea: A serving of mountain dew has (46g of sugar) or (170 calories); whereas a serving of Arizona green tea w/ ginseng and honey has (17g of sugar) or (70 calories). This means Arizona green tea is much less fattening than soda, and it doesn't sacrifice energy for low calorie count either, the lost calories and caffiene in the tea is substituted with the ginseng, therefore providing a good amount of energy, and what some say is a more prolonged and 'Better' energy than typical caffieine/sugar energy. So yes Arizona Tea = Way better for you.
The only real reason we should drink soda is when we're experiencing nausea, the acids in soda help quell nausea, particularly high acid-content sodas like Coca-Cola. However prolonged use of these products causes a variety of shit including: Ulcers, Tooth decay, even Bronchitis and Heart problems, whereas green tea in particular has various health benefits including a natural ingredient that actually helps your heart.

Last edited by Sik Simon; 06-25-08 at 17:24.