Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Shed some light on my problem..?

Old 06-25-07   #1
Jobe

Shed some light on my problem..?

Hi there,

I seem to have a problem with my Monitor. It's a 19" LCD that came with the PC about 2 years ago. Until recently everything was fine, but then a few days ago it started to go black for no reason at all...

I did some searches on the net and it seems I might have a problem with the backlight. The screen works for a while and then all of a sudden goes black, the sound still works and when I shine a light on it you can see the screen faintly in the background. If I turn off the screen for a an hour or so it seems to remedy the problem for a while, also if I turn it off and on a couple of dozen times it seems to make the problem disappear for a short time too, though this really is annoying.

So, should I leave the problem and just see if it fixes itself, should I look at getting it repaired, or should I just say feck it and buy a new one..?

A new one would be nice but I really could use the cash for better things, but is this problem just going to persist and the screen just die anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Jobe
Old 06-25-07   #2
dk123
Lost Soul

dk123 will become famous soon enoughdk123 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 262,974
im assuming there's no warranty on the item. (since you'd have sent it back and not posted this in the first place) so...

my first idea, since it seems that after time it starts to work again, there may be a problem with heat. alot of LCD monitors suffer from this, mine does. i have to run it without a back, which was a design fault really. i've not come across many problems, the aforementioned as well as obviously the display matrix fucking up, connections running dry, pixels burning out, and the ever popular wiimote in the face.

put a deskfan behind the monitor in order to blow cold air onto it. see if that helps. i did this before taking my back panel off...

if possible (and if you're brave enough) after it being unplugged for a little while, remove the back panel and check all connections.

carefully go around all the clip connectors and give them a gentle and small amount of push and check theyre all clipped in together. (a problem i've encountered)

have a sniff. see if you can smell any hot parts.

if possible, plug it in, and turn it on (make sure you won't get electrocuted) and see if it heats up. have a sniff. might be a case that a heatsink has been put on with shit transfer paste (something ive had to change)

run it with the back off if you can, see if it does the same thing as you described.

i've not had extreme amounts of experience with busted flatpanels, the above being the only things ive known really.

if it's anything that the above can't solve, a repair job would probably be less of a financially viable solution. repairs i've paid out for haven't lasted. and have cost way too much for the work done, and i've never bought parts. just had insane soldering/mounting work done that i couldn't do myself. silly really, but that's how it is.

i can understand not wanting to shell out for a new one, money can always be spent elsewhere. ideally, if you can live with it, then just do until it completely fucks itself in the ass. then purchase a new one, or get a cheap recon crt off the net for pennies until you can justify a new purchase.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07   #3
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,223
If its under warranty send it back and have it fixed for free, if it isnt. Just sell it cheap on ebay or something and buy a new 20 inch monitor.
Old 06-27-07   #4
Jobe

Thanks for the advice both of you. It wasn't under warranty, and with no real repair places close by I just decided to go out and buy a new cheap one until I upgrade to a new comp in the new year.

I got a cool and cheap little HANNS-G 19" monitor which has DVI. Now my question what's the difference between the normal cable that comes with it and the output that I would get with DVI, can anyone explain it in simple terms to me?

Thanks,

Jobe
Old 06-28-07   #5
dk123
Lost Soul

dk123 will become famous soon enoughdk123 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 262,974
dvi-d is the full name for it now, the older dvi being half the pins and not full digital. (As far as i remember)

DVI = HDMI - audio.

superior video connection up to about as high a resolution as you can imagine. some newer screens use TWO dvi cables.

the older connection is called VGA, via a D-SUB.

i was about to say that computer shopper have a big review on cheap widescreen tft screens, including a 19" for just over £100
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07   #6
Jobe

Thanks mate

I only paid £119 for it so it was quite cheap. Thinking of upgrading to a Mac in the new year so didn't want to spend too much anyways.