Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Fitness

Old 04-11-07   #61
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
Well, the increase in stringency of the regulations has to with a few different things. I know that for one they do want to cut down on the illegal business end of things...mostly because of the prostitution-fronting end of it, and also because of the fact that there are so many places (salons, etc.) that had sprung up with people doing massage that have no clue what they are doing (i.e. - people who do not seem to realize that it affects all body systems, etc.). There is a HUGE liability there to have someone who is not aware of these things. For example...someone who has a certain health condition has special conditions that need to be met in order to do bodywork on them, including that it possibly might be contraindicated.
Now, say someone has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes. If they were to go to a certified/licensed therapist, the therapist would know what to do/how to handle the situation more likely than not because of intake questions, discussion with the client, etc., and would likely insist on a written "OK" from the person's doctor before working with them. Send same person to a salon or nail salon, or (unfortunately) to a massage parlor, for instance, and it's not at all likely to my knowledge that they would be asked any sort of questions about their medical history and the like. Why would this be a big deal? Well, in the case of diabetes, depending on the individual, there are considerations when it comes to the possibility of dislodging clots (which we all know what those can cause) to things like open wounds, etc.

From what I've been told as well, another reason may be that it has to do with the state wanting to charge sales tax on the services now, which is a whole new ball of wax to deal with.

It's really okay with me, though at times frustrating in a way, that they are doing all this. If it makes it safer for the clients, for us, and helps to present it more to the public in a positive alternative for well-being, stress reduction and healing, then I'm all for it.

I almost giggled when I read that "healers" part, because instead of a holistic healer of some sort, frankly, I pictured Ernie Angley.

Well, to update my situation...after I got out of work, we had decided to get dinner, and we walked across town and back rather than drove. I did free weights (arms) when we got back. I'm glad I bring it to my own awareness and my slack-ola doesn't last long. I'm glad it's getting warmer too, because I like doing things outside. Maybe about last year, I started doing intervals, which for me was a big deal, because while I've always seemed to do something, running was never something I liked or seemed feasible. I could do any activity for hours, but when it came to straight running, I was always a no-go. I noticed a big big big difference in how much I like it now since I can breathe a lot more deeply (three years cigarette-free, thank you) and learned how to breathe correctly and watch my posture and realized that I really like doing it. I just have to get a decent new pair of running sneaks because I also learned that the ones I had don't fit correctly. My extra fundage lately isn't at an all-time high, so I'm debating if I would rather a new pair of sneaks or a new bike.
Old 04-12-07   #62
InKY
SchmInKY

InKY is on a distinguished road
Credits: 34,122
Celebrate you!

I had to google that Angley guy. Who knows? He definitely looks & sounds distasteful. At least the place to buy books, tapes, etc. on his website was lowest on his list of page links.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07   #63
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

I remember seeing him on TV when I was a kid...he's the epitome of overdone televangelist and I sometimes wonder if he (Angley) is part of why Marilyn Manson is the way he is.

Today I just did core stuff and was hooping. Twas raining here all day, so I didn't go out till I had to go to school (I have off on Thursdays).

Last edited by ~G~; 04-12-07 at 22:57.
Old 05-03-07   #64
InKY
SchmInKY

I tried fiber water today. If you've ever done Weight Watchers, you've heard fiber is the Magic Ingredient that causes the body to burn more calories during digestion. It's also supposed to make you feel full and keep you regular. I didn't notice any unusual sensation after drinking the water, but, hey, it kept me focused on my health and, as one of my co-workers has taken it upon herself to preach to me, it was better for me than my usual diet soda.
Old 05-03-07   #65
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Quote:
you've heard fiber is the Magic Ingredient that causes the body to burn more calories during digestion
I disagree, though I do agree about the other half of that part (the full and regular part) and of course about the diet soda, but I am not going to even say anything since apparently someone else is.

I'm glad the weather's gotten better because now I can get outside and actually DO stuff I like!
Old 05-07-07   #66
InKY
SchmInKY

I've been paranoid about vitamin D deficiency, so I'm making sure to get the recommended 10 minutes outside too (I'm sure you had something much more healthful in mind- running, right?).

I have also been working on my jumping, and I can jump the horizontal distance of my own height. Stuck on the next inch though.
Old 05-08-07   #67
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Nope...going outside and just being outside is fine with me too. I really don't want to run much until I get some new sneaks. I was outside playing in dirt today (moving some arugula).
Old 05-28-07   #68
InKY
SchmInKY

Had to buy clothes today, and - lo and behold- for the first time in my life I wear a Medium in women's clothing! I think the change is due to the fattening of America rather than a decrease in my actual size though (I recently saw on TV that today's sizes are several inches larger than they were in the 60's. Still, the last time I bought pants, I bought a waist 2 inches smaller than usual (I have to buy men's pants), and now they're loose. It wouldn't be very "dark" of me, but maybe I can allow myself to release a bit of insecurity about my physical appearance.
Old 06-24-07   #69
CannibalFetus
junkhead

CannibalFetus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 4,742
everyday exercising(uhm if u know shamrock from UFC then, thats what i follow as exercising).
70 squats
80 push ups
100 guards, 800 sit ups
200 leg lifts

as for diet i eat every 3-4 hours just meat or chicken or fish with salad as regular meals which are two or only one a day. No sauces or any kind of carbohydrates like rice or potatoes or pasta. Just once a week or twice i might eat rice or toast instead of bread but with the least carbohydrates. Other than that fruits or cereal bars are great.
as far as i can remember thats all lol.
Old 07-15-07   #70
InKY
SchmInKY

Sounds like a pretty restrictive regimen. Are you worried about losing it one day and binging (sp?) on carbs?

I have bought an aerobic step. I set it in front of the computer an play music videos while I step carrying light hand weights. Korn is great for it.

I'm also walking every day during lunch with a co-worker. I'm getting a *gasp* tan!
Old 07-16-07   #71
CannibalFetus
junkhead

well.. i even started making more of these exercises.. like...

1000 sit ups and 100 push ups..

but ya know ive reached 61.8 kg right now and if u want it in libres im pretty sure it is smthng like, 135lbs.. if im correct.
of course i want 1.8 kg off to stop this. i mean, u know my man who told me to follow this "diet"( because he does it as well for his UFC style training), told me that after i reach the kilos that i want, he will show me how i can stop and keep my kilos where they are.
Like there is no way that i will gain all those kilos that i lost cause the way i eat and exercise now its like.. healthy u know. before i was like eating once a day with no exercises and i was mainly.. all the time hungry lol. thats not healthy...

but i should tell ya the thing i do... its for UFC fighters heh... ;P

does that aerobic step really works? i dont trust those things.. lol

as for the tan.. im still white as dead and ill keep on with that ;p
Old 07-16-07   #72
InKY
SchmInKY

My guess is your friend will have you do something similar to the method recommended for coming off the Atkins diet- so many grams of carbs per day, building up to a normal amount.

I'm confused, are you adjusting your weight up or down? Are there weight classes in Ulitmate Fighting? Why did you decide to make having a UFC body your fitness goal?

Yes, the step works, and it's awesome to have sweat actually drip off me.
Old 07-17-07   #73
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
Work
Old 07-17-07   #74
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InKY View Post
My guess is your friend will have you do something similar to the method recommended for coming off the Atkins diet- so many grams of carbs per day, building up to a normal amount.

I'm confused, are you adjusting your weight up or down? Are there weight classes in Ulitmate Fighting? Why did you decide to make having a UFC body your fitness goal?

Why are you so "anti-carb"?
Old 07-18-07   #75
CannibalFetus
junkhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by InKY View Post

well im adjustign my weight down of course! i mean the lower it goes the better for me!
Well there arent really any weight classes in UFC mostly cause if u notice there are like heavy weighters, light weighters and middle weight fighters!
But you know, you need to have a goo dbody i suppose a fit one for t UFC, if u are middle or light wighter. As for me it wasnt actually my decision.. i mean he showed me how to eat well and how to exercise... my man showed me what he does everyday.
And i just followed his way, and it worked so i continued heh..
Old 07-20-07   #76
Zinzo
Face in the Mist

Zinzo is on a distinguished road
Credits: 2,440
I do a boxing workout. I really like natural weight resistance(pull ups, dips, push ups, crunches, running, and the like) its funny because for all the fitness products that exist in my opinion all you need is your own body. Though I must admit if I were preparing to box I would lift weights though. I also really like interval training and ploymetrics.
Darkness inside integrated to light. Neurosis waning, dreams of bliss merge with nightmares of terror. Definitions outside words coalesce into themselves as they spiral back to the source. To once again create unity in this paradoxical creation of our own design.

Last edited by Zinzo; 07-20-07 at 14:21.
Old 07-20-07   #77
InKY
SchmInKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinzo View Post
its funny because for all the fitness products that exist in my opinion all you need is your own body.
I heard a fitness guy on TV say the best exercise was sitting down on the floor and getting back up again b/c it requires lifting your entire body weight against gravity.

I don't know what to think about who likes push-ups though. =-)
Old 07-20-07   #78
InKY
SchmInKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~G~ View Post
Why are you so "anti-carb"?
=-D You make it sound like racism or something. (Hi again, BTW)

It's just easiest to consume a lot of calories with carbs, and because the refined ones are so easily digestable they don't satisfy, leading to eating even greater quantities. (this is all gleaned from various weight-related books & programs, obviously, but my personal experience has confirms it).
Old 07-21-07   #79
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

That is why whole grains are important. Stay away from the refined crap and you can eat all the carbs you want. Check your PM's BTW.
Old 07-22-07   #80
InKY
SchmInKY

"all...you want"- that's dangerous. I get your meaning though.

Speaking of whole grain, have you noticed manufacturers have begun featuring "X grams of whole grains in every serving"; when you look at the nutrition information label though, you find there are only 1 or 2 grams of fiber? Tricky.

RE the PM, ~G~: is food combination like eating an apple after a fatty meal to absorb some of the fat. An athlete friend of mine does that.