Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Fitness

Old 03-19-07   #41
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
Yes, InK...I've heard of that whole 10K steps thing. I think more than anything it really makes people aware how little they actually move.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I was reading an article about things people lie to themselves about in the way of exercise, and they said a biggie was "I don't have time". The study they referred to said people didn't have 30 minutes 5 times a week to exercise, but apparently had an average of 4 hours a day that were spent watching television. Sad.
It's a good article...if you get a chance to stop by a bookstore any time soon, it's in the April issue of Wellness magazine.

I really need to get more cardio happening. I'm pretty much okay with where I am though I would like to tone up more and build more strength and endurance. Now that's it's getting warmer, I'll be glad because I like to mostly do things that I do outside for that(walking, running, biking, hiking, etc.). I'm still debating going back to martial arts, and also taking a yoga class (I never went into a class; I had always worked on my own). I'm not much of a gym person, and around these parts it's sort of expensive anyway. I'm getting to an age where it's more important that I'm doing it for the inside than the outside, though I'd be lying if I said how I looked didn't matter at all to me.

PS - Shoulderstands and other inversions can be very very beneficial if worked up to and done correctly from what I know.
Old 03-20-07   #42
darklingmiss
Face in the Mist

darklingmiss is on a distinguished road
Credits: 2,863
Oh yeah, it really solves that whole oxygen deprivation thing.

And kudos to you for doing a variety of things to keep it exciting. I mean, who would want to just do work on a treadmill for every minute of cardio? I like to dance, and I've found that the bellydance videos featuring the Belly Twins and Rania are empowering and have beautiful music. You get to learn how to control muscle groups individually, and you notice your posture becoming more graceful as you progress. Just throwing that out there, because I know how hard it can be to find fun cardio that actually does some great toning.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07   #43
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Yeah, I had thought about looking into that too...it sounds good for a lot of reasons.

I like to mix it up because the variety is fun and it challenges different muscle groups, etc. I don't really dig the treadmill much at all...it's okay I guess though we have one here and I've been on it and I'm just not very fond of it in general (besides the fact that we have it downstairs in the basement and my head is veryyyy close to the ceiling). When I walk or run, I actually like to move along, so outside or off the mill works better for me.
I really would like to get a new bike too.

Have any of you tried a BoSU ball? I had a body mechanics class at school and the instructor brought in one for us to check out. I already have a regular balance ball, and I thought the BoSU was neat too. They're like 100 smackers though, so that might have to wait.
Old 03-20-07   #44
darklingmiss
Face in the Mist

I don't dig the balls too much. Main reason being is that if you aren't really careful with your form, then you can hurt yourself without realizing it. I mean, I fully anticipate the risk of standing on my head; pulling a small muscle while stretching the wrong way can sneak up on you.

One thing that a former supervisor of mine did was buy one of those ergonomic chairs that basically puts you in a kneeling position throughout the day. It engages your core muscles without a risk of slipping the wrong way, and it's cushioned under your ass and at your knees, so it's really comfortable. Those run you a fair price as well, but if you do a lot of sedentary work, then it can really make a difference in vitality.
Old 03-21-07   #45
janitorsteve
Face in the Mist

janitorsteve is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,659
I run 5 miles every other day. I've run 2 marathons but don't have the energy to train for those anymore.
Old 03-22-07   #46
darklingmiss
Face in the Mist

That's cool. One of my resolutins this year is to run at least one marathon. It's basically my way of making health my bitch.
Old 03-28-07   #47
InKY
SchmInKY

InKY is on a distinguished road
Credits: 34,022
10,000 steps program update: I'm averaging 7500 with at least one hour exercise every day except days when I work both jobs. Really don't know how to fit more steps in.

Funny: I work in the beef industry, and my fitness buddy is a modern day cowboy who contracts the type of cattle we want and sorts them into pens & onto trucks. During our fitness discussions, he is very concerned that his pedometer is giving him false readings b/c every time he moves his foot to change pedals in his pickup truck his pedometer records a step he hasn't actually taken. He is proud of drinking fruit flavored water that is currently on sale 2/$2 at a gas station chain in his region of the country.
Old 03-29-07   #48
darklingmiss
Face in the Mist

How far away do you park from entrances? You could sneak in some more steps by parking further away, as long as it's safe.
Old 03-29-07   #49
InKY
SchmInKY

Yeah, I'm pretty much to work, to other work, home except on weekends.

I actually make over 13,000 steps yesterday, if my pedO is to be believed. It varies widely depending on the pair of pants I clip it to. I did stay up 'til midnight exercising.

Spring greenery has burst up everywhere, so I think I'll take a walk this evening and enjoy some of it. What do you all listen to when you walk or run?
Old 03-30-07   #50
darklingmiss
Face in the Mist

I listen to the noises around me. The birds are out now, and if I'm walking outside, I don't carry music to listen to. If I'm inside working out, I listen to the radio. Mostly the rock station nearby. I'm kindof thinking of making some mix cd's, but I need more CDR's. I don't have the kind of funds available to buy an mp3 player, so that's my only real options at the time.
Old 03-30-07   #51
~Viqueen~
New Blood

~Viqueen~ has disabled reputation
Credits: 1,393
I do cycling, and walking frequently. It strengthens your heart and makes you feel better, phsyically and psychologically. I also go to the gym once a week.
Old 03-30-07   #52
InKY
SchmInKY

Good for you! How much are you paying for that gym membership that you use only once per week?

I've made my 10k steps two days in a row and worked in quite a bit of hand weights too. Our company fitness walk today helped. We began & ended with some breathing exercises & stretching, and the instructor bade us farewell with a little bow, hands in the prayer position. We're getting more Eastern all the time =-).

Heard on the radio this morning that Gwin Stefani works out 5 hours per day to look like she does. Makes me realize it's unrealistic for a normal person to ex pect to be able to look that good.
Old 03-30-07   #53
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

I would think five hours a day is just a bit excessive...

That's cool that your company does that for you guys.
Old 04-01-07   #54
darklingmiss
Face in the Mist

Yeah, when No Doubt was forming, she was a healthy looking girl. She wasn't fat, so to speak. I personally think she looked fine then. The pressure that most people in the public eye feel makes it easy for them to spend what seems like insane amounts of time exercising. But I will say that I'm sure that her pre-tour schedule looks a lot more daunting than when she's actually touring. The kind of strenuous exercise you get moving around onstage makes up for not doing so much when you finally get to relax and get some oxygen.

Best thing to do is find something you love and do it often. But don't make yourself stroke out. That would kindof defeat the purpose
Old 04-01-07   #55
InKY
SchmInKY

I found whole wheat tortilla chips yesterday, which are lower in calories that regular chips and have fiber, so I made "healthy nachos" by adding corn, 96% lean ground beef, and mozzarella cheese. =-D <)
Old 04-09-07   #56
InKY
SchmInKY

Tomorrow I must be at work at 8am for yoga, a walk, instruction on carbon emission and a showing of "An Inconvenient Truth". Our corporate wellness program has become a fun source of experiences that are more "left wing" than the ones I am used to.

I was in a group photo today, and I was greatful to be able to look at myself and not just think "fat" right off. I may be experiencing positive self esteem =-).
Old 04-10-07   #57
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Good for you! It sounds like you're hitting it on all levels and that's the best.

I've been SUCH a slacker...I caught a cold a week or so ago (which is VERY unlike me---I don't think I've had a cold or flu or whatever in at least 9 years) and was miserable and cranky and tired for a while. Lately I've just been blah. I guess between that and the fact that I have been using so much of my energy and time to do other things that I'm just spent a lot and when I do have time I usually am using it to just unwind (because sometimes it DOES feel good to not have to focus on anything, including exercise). It's no excuse though and I know it. I need more motivation right now (buying my new bathing suit was not enough). You'd think I would have plenty considering the field(s) I'm in---ha! I don't need to lose any...I only really need to move.

Any suggestions for getting oneself out of a rut?
Old 04-10-07   #58
InKY
SchmInKY

How about taking a walk or going dancing or doing something else fun that happens to be active but isn't only for the purpose of improving fitness? I've found that when I make being active another chore, I'm ill motivated to do it. I'll tell myself I'm going out to, say, take pictures, while in the back of my mind I know it's really to get a walk in. Later on I congratulate myself for the extra accomplishment of the workout.

What's your field besides chiropracty?
Old 04-10-07   #59
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

I'm not really looking at it as a chore, I just need to get out of the slump...usually, I wind up coming around, though I'm open to suggestions about how to kick myself out of it a little more quickly. So, thanks. I think I need to have a talk with myself because I have a feeling it's something irrational that's blocking me.

Quote:
What's your field besides chiropracty?
I am actually a chiropractic assistant, not a chiropractor, but I am going to be working in the fields of holistics (massage, bodywork, etc. etc.) more independently once I am done with my certs and licensing (now required because law are becoming more strict, which is actually a good thing). That's why I said the stuff about having the awareness of the importance of exercise and the like, and mentioning about you "hitting it on all levels" with the things you've been doing for yourself. I have a pretty much holistic approach to health and lean a little more toward naturopathic rather than allopathic (traditional) healthcare.
Old 04-11-07   #60
InKY
SchmInKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~G~ View Post
I am actually a chiropractic assistant, not a chiropractor, but I am going to be working in the fields of holistics (massage, bodywork, etc. etc.) more independently once I am done with my certs and licensing (now required because law are becoming more strict, which is actually a good thing). That's why I said the stuff about having the awareness of the importance of exercise and the like, and mentioning about you "hitting it on all levels" with the things you've been doing for yourself. I have a pretty much holistic approach to health and lean a little more toward naturopathic rather than allopathic (traditional) healthcare.
Are the new regulations to prevent "massage parlors", to prevent "healers" from keeping people from getting care, or for other reasons?

Yeah, I've never needed much medical attention, but the more I hear about it from others, chemical treatments usually trade one problem for another instead of restoring health. I am also amazed at the overwhelming difference a positive attitude makes in every aspect of life.