Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page New Profile System

Old 07-17-06   #1
gArGOyLe^^
The ModFather

gArGOyLe^^ will become famous soon enough
Credits: 280,051
New Profile System

We'll be testing a new profile system. A small number of forums have banded together to form the Zoints system. It's an attempt to provide better looking profiles to users. It also lets you network with users from other forums. Currently this is a closed beta and only a select few forums have this feature.

Click on the username and then view my public profile to see the new profile system in action.

What is Zoints?

Zoints is a community-based social network and profile system that will take forums like ours to a whole new level via a feature common to all forum software: profiles. By its very design, Zoints is meant to benefit online communities. It will help us get new members, increase revenue, and much more.

Zoints will help keep the Internet democratic and free from censorship by empowering the operators of online communities and their members. Rather than a few large companies controlling the users' experience, Zoints is working to ensure that the beautiful diversity of the online community continues to flourish.

Zoints Basics

Using the simple drag and drop interface and selection of various dropdown options, you can configure your profile to be uniquely yours. But first, you need to link your forum profile here to your Zoints profile.

Getting Started

To link your profile, follow these easy steps:

Step 1:

Go to the Zoints dropdown at the top and click on "My Profile"

Step 2:

If you already have a Zoints account, login. Or select create your profile.

Step 3:

Create your account (it takes 30 seconds max) and that's it. You can now play with the most powerful profile system on the net

Zoints provides an easy means for you not only to create an incredible profile, but to connect with new people and manage those contacts in an efficient manner.

Configuring your profile is a snap! You can simply drag and drop any of the blocks to the desired location. Don't like a block? Simply click on the and it disappears (it can always be added back later). An example of a block being dragged to a new location:

If you don't like the look or color of your profile, you can change it with a single click. Zoints comes with different color default styles, you can create your own, OR you browse through hundreds of member created and shared styles in the Style Database. An example of how easy it is to change the look of your profile:

The interface for creating a new style and editing single blocks is very easy to use:

There are three editing modes. "Advanced" where you can drag and drop blocks, "simple" which allows blocks to be moved with arrows, and "disabled" which shows you your profile as other members would see it. Switching between the three modes is quick and easy:

There are MANY additional blocks you can add to your profile with just a couple clicks. Or, if you're a more advanced user, you can code and use your own (Zoints allows most HTML and .css to be used). An example of some blocks:

If you like .rss feeds, there are quite a few ready for you to add. Or, if you want to use one not already provided, you can create a new .rss block VERY easy using the "create new block" system:

There's a lot to do on Zoints. You can meet new people and add them to your network:

Search for others using the powerful search system:

Rate other members or let them rate you:

Add "interest tags" that, when clicked, show you other members who share those same interests as you:

The "network interests" block lists interest tags that those members who are in your personal network have listed. The more people who share an interest, the larger the tag becomes:

If you want to let others send you a real quick message, why not utilize the "social actions" block?

Some sites just have "friends", Zoints goes the extra mile and lets you have friends and any other group you want to create. YOU create and manage your groups:

Zoints has an extremely powerful permissions system that allows you to show the content you want to the users you want. You can show different content to one group than you do to another group:

There is so much more to Zoints than what has been listed here. Dive right in and explore the system for yourself!

So try it out and give me some feed back. This is still in beta and if you leave some feedback we can make the changes

Also there are more features coming very soon!

Enjoy

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06   #2
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
*claps for garg*

it'll be an adventure...
Old 07-17-06   #3
Zerozkyo
Cheer Up Emo Kids

Zerozkyo is on a distinguished road
Credits: 17,547
Whoa!

Gargoyle... Your cool in my book man.

and I have 2 questions for you.

1. Are you the creator of darkforum?

2. What is your avatar? 0_o I've come to the reasoning that its a santa hat hopping around with green circles on it.. or.. i dunno.

-Jon Stewart
Old 07-17-06   #4
patryn
fuck off

patryn will become famous soon enoughpatryn will become famous soon enough
Credits: 171,553
fuck. as if it's not already hard enough to be cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jesus wants his fucking whistle.
Old 07-17-06   #5
Zerozkyo
Cheer Up Emo Kids

ya kno.. I hear the word 'fuck' come from you more than I've heard it in my life.

...and thats cool.

-Jon Stewart
Old 07-17-06   #6
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

Spikess is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,982
so can we still view the usual darkforum profile or are we just going to be forwarded to so an so's zpoint profile wether they have one yet or not!?

Old 07-17-06   #7
gArGOyLe^^
The ModFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikess View Post
so can we still view the usual darkforum profile or are we just going to be forwarded to so an so's zpoint profile wether they have one yet or not!?

When you click on a persons profile you'll get the message

"You are being redirected to MrMagoo's Zoints profile.

View MrMagoo's Philosophy Religion Poetry Art Politics General Discussion Dark Forums profile

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you."

Click on the "View MrMagoo's Philosophy Religion Poetry Art Politics General Discussion Dark Forums profile" part and you get sent to the usual darkforum profile.
Old 07-17-06   #8
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

cool, cheers.

Old 07-17-06   #9
Kendra
Darkness Incarnate

Kendra will become famous soon enough
Credits: 661,698
this is starting to remind me of myspace a little bit. though i'm going to choose not to have a zoints profile. i still pretty much like to have my own privacy. i like to stay away from things like that. i'm not into them.
Old 07-17-06   #10
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

i cracked..i now have zoints profile..

Old 07-17-06   #11
BlyssfulStorm
Comrads!!!!!!

BlyssfulStorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 65,347
I'll support gargy any way I can.
Old 07-17-06   #12
Alpha
Because I was here first

Alpha is on a distinguished road
Credits: 66,564
Kinda neat. Of course the real question is "is it free? if so, for how long?".
It reminds me a bit of myspace; but not too much. Perhaps I'll make a profile.

Old 07-17-06   #13
gArGOyLe^^
The ModFather

A staff member of Zoints can come over and answer the questions. He'll do a better job than me.
Old 07-17-06   #14
Zerozkyo
Cheer Up Emo Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
this is starting to remind me of myspace a little bit. though i'm going to choose not to have a zoints profile. i still pretty much like to have my own privacy. i like to stay away from things like that. i'm not into them.
Yeah, I got the whole Myspace vibe too.

...buuut I think I'm gonna make a profile ^_^

-Jon Stewart
Old 07-17-06   #15
Jobe

Personally hate it, and it feels like the death of the old DF...

...if things keeps changing at this rate I don't think I'll stick around.
Old 07-17-06   #16
gArGOyLe^^
The ModFather

Jordyn >> cool I hope you enjoy it.

Spikess>> hehe cool. Let me know if you like it/hate it/find it tolerable.

BlyssfulStorm >> Thanks. but it's also nice for the users. It's better profiles.

Alpha>> It should stay free with no popups etc. It's not going to get all messy like myspace.

zerozkyo>> Try it out and give some feedback

Sorry to hear that Jobe.

Last edited by gArGOyLe^^; 07-17-06 at 20:08.
Old 07-17-06   #17
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

i think it's quite fun least theres an option to have one or not!

Old 07-17-06   #18
Jobe

My main gripe with it is why the hell do I have to be taken off site to this Zoints crap if I want to look at someone's DF profile?

I have to quickly click a link just to stay here, that to me is just not why I come to DF, I come to DF to be on DF and not to be linked off elsewhere...
Old 07-17-06   #19
Zerozkyo
Cheer Up Emo Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
My main gripe with it is why the hell do I have to be taken off site to this Zoints crap if I want to look at someone's DF profile?

I have to quickly click a link just to stay here, that to me is just not why I come to DF, I come to DF to be on DF and not to be linked off elsewhere...
Well... maybe if garg makes that page not automatically redirect and you can choose df profile or zoint profile? ....just a suggestion.

-Jon Stewart
Old 07-17-06   #20
gArGOyLe^^
The ModFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozkyo View Post
Well... maybe if garg makes that page not automatically redirect and you can choose df profile or zoint profile? ....just a suggestion.
Alright. Try now. This can be done.

If you click on my name in the thread you'll notice a "view public profile" and "view zoints profile".

Also, if you click on the name in "Who's online" or "Last poster" then you'll go to the public profile and that has an option for Zoints on top.

Is that better for most people or do you want the old way back?