Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Ideas On A Party Free System

Old 03-15-06   #1
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Dyshade will become famous soon enoughDyshade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,453
Ideas On A Party Free System

I have thought long and hard about the political parties in the United States and I think the largest fault in them is the hard-liners. Your average joe Republican is a nice guy and means well yet is conservative minded. Where-as the Democrat average joe is a little more liberal in his stances but can agree on most things with the Republican AJ. But once you involve hard-liners most arguments become a joke. There is no give and take and no understanding. One may as well be a martian and the other a venusian.

I do not know how exactly we would implement it but a party-less system would effectively end stubborn standoffs(for the most part).

Any ideas either for or against???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06   #2
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,469,816
I would be happy if we just had more than 2 parties that actually had a shot at ever winning an election.

Old 03-15-06   #3
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g
I would be happy if we just had more than 2 parties that actually had a shot at ever winning an election.
That is another avenue of thought as well. Right now all the tertiary parties do is draw votes away from the primaries.

S.O.D.

Old 03-15-06   #4
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
can you imagine what would happen if you tried to institute legislation against 'party-lines' ?

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 03-16-06   #5
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

theburningbush is on a distinguished road
Credits: 33,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshade
I have thought long and hard about the political parties in the United States and I think the largest fault in them is the hard-liners. Your average joe Republican is a nice guy and means well yet is conservative minded. Where-as the Democrat average joe is a little more liberal in his stances but can agree on most things with the Republican AJ. But once you involve hard-liners most arguments become a joke. There is no give and take and no understanding. One may as well be a martian and the other a venusian.

I do not know how exactly we would implement it but a party-less system would effectively end stubborn standoffs(for the most part).

Any ideas either for or against???
damn the lobbiests and the hard liners the thing is these are the majority of people whom really care enough to do something so its there issues that get addressed. frankly there destroying this country with one stupid narrowly focused policy after the other.
Old 03-17-06   #6
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

sephardic-male is on a distinguished road
Credits: 7,832
a party free system will not work

gothic music and eurodance music
Old 03-18-06   #7
masochist
Still Hungry

masochist is on a distinguished road
Credits: 195,480
I havn't thought this through completely, so correct me or point out faults in my thinking, but I think governments that have power over smaller areas would be nice. That way the people voting have a more direct impact on the people making the laws.

I'm thinking smaller the area, the better and less faceless the decision making will be at the top. Example: small governed group is a family. Parents at the top make decisions based on what they feel is good for the family. It works because the parents are connected and have good feedback. Where you have a huge population with only a few at the top that have never experienced what it is like in the normal people's shoes, should they really be allowed so much say in matters?
Old 03-18-06   #8
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephardic-male
a party free system will not work
Please back up that statement. Suggest why it would not work.

Instead of promoting a party we would promote an individual outside of party lines. Why would that not work???

S.O.D.

Old 03-19-06   #9
eresh_cloudy
Darkness Incarnate

eresh_cloudy is on a distinguished road
Credits: 24,598
Over here we have a multiple party system
Anyone who gets a certain amount of back up (members) from society can start up a political party and run in the elections.
We have about 9 big political parties, from a bit to the right, to centre to leftist, and many smaller parties who can also run in the elections (elections are once every 4 years)
It works in my opinion.
We also have a queen (monarchy) but she serves more a symbolical function than an influential one.

There are three territorial levels of government: the state, the provinces and the municipalities. At all three levels direct elections are held, resulting in coalitions (aka cabinets), without an overriding amount of power invested in one person. For example, the prime minister is just one of the ministers.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...he_Netherlands
Old 03-19-06   #10
masochist
Still Hungry

Eresh, your government sounds a bit like ours. I think what I like about our government is since we have a small population our politicians represent all walks of life.

That link on the Netherlands inspired me to look up our one:
New Zealand has a genuinely multi-party system, with eight parties currently represented in Parliament. Neither of the two largest parties have been able to govern without support from other groups since 1996, meaning that coalition government is required.
The two largest, and oldest, parties are the Labour Party (centre-left progressive) and the National Party (centre-right conservative). Other parties currently represented in Parliament are New Zealand First (populist, nationalist), ACT (free market), the Greens (left-wing, environmentalist), United Future (family values), the Progressives (leftist), and the
Old 03-19-06   #11
masochist
Still Hungry

Poo. It cut me off...Probably too boring....

Anyway, we get 2 votes so I split it up between the party I want to win and the one I want them to form a coalition with...
Old 03-19-06   #12
eresh_cloudy
Darkness Incarnate

eresh_cloudy is on a distinguished road
Credits: 24,598
yes it is a lot alike :-)
we only get 1 vote per person over 18 though
Old 03-19-06   #13
thefinalw0rd
SaxophoniusExtraordinaire

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
thefinalw0rd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 138,566
I think that as long as a majority can rule, there will always be parties. In a system such as ours, strength in numbers becomes a rule rather than a cliche. Similar-minded people will always band together, and even if official parties don't exist, there will always be some form of orginization that make it work out more or less the same. I think so, anyway. We all have a voice, but if I'm saying something by myself its a whisper. If I find 50 other people to say it with me, all of the sudden it sounds a little louder. And so on.
Old 03-21-06   #14
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshade
Please back up that statement. Suggest why it would not work.

Instead of promoting a party we would promote an individual outside of party lines. Why would that not work???

it will be impossible to form a government with people who don't agree with each other and have different views and policies most of the time

Old 03-21-06   #15
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by masochist
I havn't thought this through completely, so correct me or point out faults in my thinking, but I think governments that have power over smaller areas would be nice. That way the people voting have a more direct impact on the people making the laws.

I'm thinking smaller the area, the better and less faceless the decision making will be at the top. Example: small governed group is a family. Parents at the top make decisions based on what they feel is good for the family. It works because the parents are connected and have good feedback. Where you have a huge population with only a few at the top that have never experienced what it is like in the normal people's shoes, should they really be allowed so much say in matters?
That wouldnt work in a country like the USA because everyone wants to impose thier morality on everyone else.

Its why Abortion isnt decided on a local level, because back when it was 47 out of 50 states made it illegal.
Old 03-22-06   #16
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephardic-male
it will be impossible to form a government with people who don't agree with each other and have different views and policies most of the time
Are you serious???

The United States Government usually completely disagrees with everyone. Reps disagree with Dems, Dems with Reps, Reps with Reps, and Dems with dems. And it seems we run fairly smoothly

S.O.D.

Old 03-22-06   #17
sephardic-male
Lurks in the Shadows

in british like parliamentary system parties are needed

Old 03-23-06   #18
masochist
Still Hungry

I think it would be nice if each state had a say on their own. At least you might get your voice heard. I'm guessing 1 U.S. State has more than the population of NZ combined. We have around 5 million in our country.
Old 03-23-06   #19
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by masochist
I think it would be nice if each state had a say on their own. At least you might get your voice heard. I'm guessing 1 U.S. State has more than the population of NZ combined. We have around 5 million in our country.
Again this wouldnt work, the liberals would go apeshit, because when South Dakota banned abortions and Texas makes gay sex illegal they will have a crusade to whine about.
Old 03-24-06   #20
thefinalw0rd
SaxophoniusExtraordinaire

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
thefinalw0rd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 138,566
Well, the articles of confideration gave states more power, and that almost killed us before we got anywhere...