Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page ? Iraq war

Old 03-10-06   #1
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

theburningbush is on a distinguished road
Credits: 33,266
? Iraq war

Just wondering if anyone had a historical example of a nation successfully liberating another nation from its established goverment.
Old 03-10-06   #2
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,418
What do you define as "successful"? No bloodshed? Limited bloodshed? Lots of bloodshed?

There's no such thing as a successful liberation. And I use the word "liberation" extremely loosely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06   #3
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

people are capable of governing themselves would equal success as that appears to be the goal
Old 03-10-06   #4
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
the americas from england...i believe france helped us at some point.
Old 03-10-06   #5
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn
the americas from england...i believe france helped us at some point.
that was the people rising up to overthrow the existing goverment. The situation in Iraq is completely diffrent.
Old 03-10-06   #6
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Dyshade will become famous soon enoughDyshade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,453
With the help of France the America's were liberated from English control and the United States was formed.

Sounds about the same. Sure there are some differences but it amounts to the same thing.

India was ruled by the English for years and are now governing themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.

Old 03-10-06   #7
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburningbush
people are capable of governing themselves would equal success as that appears to be the goal
Why would that equal success? "Liberated" people still elect terrorist organizations into power. That's not success.

Old 03-10-06   #8
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshade
With the help of France the America's were liberated from English control and the United States was formed.

Sounds about the same. Sure there are some differences but it amounts to the same thing.

India was ruled by the English for years and are now governing themselves.
I guess if France had come in conqured all of the Americas and then let the "forfathers" build a goverment with the intention of turning power over to that goverment it would have been the same. I dont think this happened though so I fail to see the similiarity.
Old 03-10-06   #9
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lady
Why would that equal success? "Liberated" people still elect terrorist organizations into power. That's not success.
aint the democratic process a bitch
Old 03-10-06   #10
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Quote:
I guess if France had come in conqured all of the Americas and then let the "forfathers" build a goverment with the intention of turning power over to that goverment it would have been the same. I dont think this happened though so I fail to see the similiarity.

I agree. It's not the same thing. Iraq's people weren't rising up against the tyranny of the government. Iraq's people are rising up and trying to annihilate the "liberators".

Old 03-10-06   #11
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lady
I agree. It's not the same thing. Iraq's people weren't rising up against the tyranny of the government. Iraq's people are rising up and trying to annihilate the "liberators".
And each other...

Oh wait, no. I forgot that Rumsfeld said there isn't any civil war building in Iraq, and of course everything he says is the gospel truth.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 03-10-06   #12
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Quote:
you're right

one has been proven an effective method in assuring the successful liberation of one country from another, and there are many instinces in history...versus the "our way or you're a terrorist way" choice for liberation they are forced to choose...between.

and die either way.
Old 03-10-06   #13
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowborn
And each other...

Oh wait, no. I forgot that Rumsfeld said there isn't any civil war building in Iraq, and of course everything he says is the gospel truth.

iraq? look at how america's becoming...

don't get me started on that opinion.
Old 03-10-06   #14
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

It's past time to admit some major mistakes have been made. And it's past time to start rectifying them. With Iran threatening us, we simply can't afford to be fighting a war on two fronts. Something's got to be done.

Old 03-10-06   #15
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,203
Sadly the way it looks, the situation will only be rectified when we start dropping guided missiles into any Iranian nuclear facilities. Maybe a little fallout will persuade them against nuclear power.

As per the original question. Japan? We toppled thier government then practically wrote them a brand new consitution complete with anti military clauses. MacArthur was running Japan for a while, he even had the Emporer as a puppet.
Old 03-10-06   #16
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy the Kidd
Sadly the way it looks, the situation will only be rectified when we start dropping guided missiles into any Iranian nuclear facilities. Maybe a little fallout will persuade them against nuclear power.

As per the original question. Japan? We toppled thier government then practically wrote them a brand new consitution complete with anti military clauses. MacArthur was running Japan for a while, he even had the Emporer as a puppet.
thats a good example one I didnt think of. now I would like to know how unfied the people were in Japan at the time (Iraq has a couple diffrent groups that all want to rule)

there are a few other issues that also might have made that work. 1)Japan lost a war they started the people would have had some expectation that there were going to be changes made (you gets what coming to you), 2) the world was more in our corner at the time, not one but 2 Atomic Bombs.
Old 03-10-06   #17
theburningbush
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn
you're right

one has been proven an effective method in assuring the successful liberation of one country from another, and there are many instinces in history...versus the "our way or you're a terrorist way" choice for liberation they are forced to choose...between.

and die either way.
not sure exactly what your getting at but if your saying the only way this really works in history is for the people to overthrough the existing goverment then we are on the same page.

Iam not questioning the war in Iraq I question the feasablity of implementing a sustainable democracy in that country.
Old 03-10-06   #18
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Quote:
not sure exactly what your getting at but if your saying the only way this really works in history is for the people to overthrough the existing goverment then we are on the same page.

Iam not questioning the war in Iraq I question the feasablity of implementing a sustainable democracy in that country.

are there any reasonable feasibilities when it comes to iraq, now they have all been debunked?

the only way a democracy will work, is if the people want it to..otherwise it's just wasted resources...
Old 03-10-06   #19
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,469,591
Quote:
that was the people rising up to overthrow the existing goverment. The situation in Iraq is completely diffrent.
Tell that to the thousands of Iraqi soldiers dying to make their country hole again, asshole.

Old 03-10-06   #20
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g
Tell that to the thousands of Iraqi soldiers dying to make their country hole again, asshole.
Freudian slip?

I feel this way on DF...a lot.