Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Darkforum Support Forums > Support Forum
Reload this Page Suggesting/starting a new forum.

Old 03-21-04   #1
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Lenina will become famous soon enough
Credits: 375,069
I think that you should reopen the bitch forum... Unless you can do more or less the same in the off topic discussion... So tell me, how the hell does that work? Did you close the bitch forum because of a minority? I mean, even if you did thats fine but then, its like your giving in to people or something... Because the off topic forum is moderated which means that the mods can take action in there... The whole point of the bitch forum was that there was no moderation... If people bitch at mods for being bitched at in the bitch forum then thats thier tough luck really... Im not saying "DO IT NOW!" or anything, Im just wanting a better understanding of what happened... Is it like.. Temporarily closed or is it permanently closed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You'll never understand it
Try to buy and brand it
I win, you lose, cause it's my job
To keep punk rock elite
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-04   #2
Sphyre
Cyber Sadist

Sphyre is on a distinguished road
Credits: 56,861
Yeah. I have to go with Lenina.

People really shouldn't be complaining about the Bitch Forum. There were warnings all over the place. It was a post-at-your-own-risk forum. Anyone posting there should know that and shouldn't be complaining about anything, they should know better, and if they have a problem they don't have to go to the forum.

I mean, I understand needing to moderate DF, but the bitch forum was a fantastic idea and it was a good forum. Getting rid of it will only cause more hassles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-04   #3
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
Credits: 202,919
Agreed - Bitch forum existed partly so flame wars CAN occur, and people who don't want to participate in them, don't even have to know they're occurring. In effect, the bitch forum cleaned up the off-topic forum.

"Move that one of your pieces, which is in the worst plight, unless you can satisfy yourself that you can derive immediate advantage by an attack." -Adolph Anderssen
Old 03-23-04   #4
Lillith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV
In effect, the bitch forum cleaned up the off-topic forum.

If only that were true.
Old 03-24-04   #5
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
The fact that the Bitch forum was closed doesn't even make sense. Why were people getting warnings in a forum whose purpose is to be a haven for flame wars? And if that isn't its purpose, then what is? Seems to me like the place was closed right after that glorious dispute between JLB and Lillith. If this has anything to do with the disputes between members and mods, then that's just silly. Mods tell us our flaws all the time; we should be allowed to tell them theirs.
Old 03-24-04   #6
Lillith

No one got warnings for stuff that happened in the Bitch forum. If you think that then you got false information. I wasn't the only one having a dispute with him, (antihero), he was in the thick of it with Dyshade too. And actually, I know you wouldn't want to believe it, but the closing of it has nothing to do with me, and I myself don't know the exact reason. If it looks like it coincided with the fight Dyshade and I was having with JLB it's pure coincidence. It was Garg's decision, and only he knows.

Though my opinion of it, is that it got out of hand. Severely, and perhaps that's why. I believe Garg wants to know why everyone feels it's necessary to have back. If you look at the dreadful content then I have to wonder why it should exist. But it's not up to me, or anyone really, in the end it's up to Garg.

Use this space to tell him how you feel, I mean why you think it should be open again.
Old 03-24-04   #7
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
Simply put, it was fun. The rules you people make give me a headache, and I always forget what they are, So I go to the Bitch Board to not have to worry about that crap. Also, I am able to utilize my extremely politically incorrect sense of humor, which would probably get me ultrabanned anywhere else. Furthermore, half the stuff in there makes me laugh my ass off; I specifically remember a while back when DedMetlBitch made a thread about how ugly someone was, and it made my day. If this is going to be less of a forum where we can be jokingly wrong, and more of a forum that feels like it's run by a bunch of uppity Mormons, then you might start losing members. I know the arguments can get serious too, but that's the point; the Bitch Board is a dump for all the crap that doesn't belong anywhere else. If we start picking and choosing what we can and can't dump in there then that completely defeats its purpose. It'd be like if they had a civil rights parade, and refused to let black people march in it. make sense to you?

You guys run the place, but dammit, this is as much my place as it is yours and everyone else's. Don't make it less entertaining.
Old 03-24-04   #8
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
I see the Bitch Board as an unmoderated forum. The key of the forum is that no one is forced to visit the forum. If someone has a problem with an argument there, they can leave, and go back to moderated forums.

"Move that one of your pieces, which is in the worst plight, unless you can satisfy yourself that you can derive immediate advantage by an attack." -Adolph Anderssen
Old 03-24-04   #9
Lillith

Very valid points, and this is I think exactly what Garg was hoping for. That you all speak your minds freely without getting hostile or angry about it. Personally, I didn't see the Bitch forum "helping" keeping that element out of the rest of the forum. It was everywhere. The way I see it, the more people behave in a manner that provokes a need for moderation the more moderation is inevitably required. I remember when I moderated a roleplay chat room which was strictly about character interaction and not a chat room at all, patrons complained constantly about being moderated, yet their behaviour called for it. And so the more considerate they became of other patrons and the more appreciative they were towards the owners of the site, the less moderation was needed.

I'm not comparing people, just the situation of moderation. If people behaved a little more respectful in general then there wouldn't be a need to have to enforce rules all the time.

That's just the way I see it.
Old 03-24-04   #10
Soulfull
Necessarily So

Soulfull is on a distinguished road
Credits: 68,284
What happened to freedom of insulting speech!! It was the only forum I could laugh at. I was hoping Darkforum would never be that censored. Two parties can only bitch if they want to. It's not like anybody doesn't have a choice to keep arguing.
Old 03-24-04   #11
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillith
Very valid points, and this is I think exactly what Garg was hoping for. That you all speak your minds freely without getting hostile or angry about it. Personally, I didn't see the Bitch forum "helping" keeping that element out of the rest of the forum. It was everywhere. The way I see it, the more people behave in a manner that provokes a need for moderation the more moderation is inevitably required. I remember when I moderated a roleplay chat room which was strictly about character interaction and not a chat room at all, patrons complained constantly about being moderated, yet their behaviour called for it. And so the more considerate they became of other patrons and the more appreciative they were towards the owners of the site, the less moderation was needed.

I'm not comparing people, just the situation of moderation. If people behaved a little more respectful in general then there wouldn't be a need to have to enforce rules all the time.

That's just the way I see it.
Good point. Are you saying that maybe the bitch forum, which allows (and supports) aggravated arguments might lead to increased aggravation of arguments in the other forums?

Hmm. Perhaps increased pointing at the rules when arguments initially get out of hand, and/or moving of threads to Bitch forums?

Old 03-24-04   #12
Lillith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV
Good point. Are you saying that maybe the bitch forum, which allows (and supports) aggravated arguments might lead to increased aggravation of arguments in the other forums?

Hmm. Perhaps increased pointing at the rules when arguments initially get out of hand, and/or moving of threads to Bitch forums?

In my opinion yes it definitely does. But then again, not always. It seems to fluctuate, and so I believe when something like that occurs one has to shift the balance of moderation to comply with the tone in general. So I suppose that is why it would appear that the rules always change. And in effect they don't, but they certainly have to be applied to the general needs or rather current needs. To me, given my previous experience as I mentioned, the less deliberate behaviour the less need for "stern" moderation. It's akin to when DF was invaded by the Gurns, I wasn't a Supermod back then but I remember clearly that the efforts of all the Supermods were intensified. So reactions are based on existing action. That is how I see it.

I have also had many a laugh from the Bitch forum, and even though condemned for it, it gives all the Mods the opportunity to blow off steam too. But unfortunately the level of degradation was just too extreme towards the end.

We did precisely that, and so eventually one is forced to try a different attempt. And that attempt currently is intensified moderation, unfortunately.
Old 03-24-04   #13
windowpained
VE38 Monocerotis

windowpained is on a distinguished road
Credits: 9,734
With Garg's stipulations on starting a new subforum I have one thing to say:...are there even that many regular posters here these days? bwahaha
Old 03-24-04   #14
Lillith

Yeah, nineteen of them right now.

Twenty one, sorry I hadn't refreshed the page.