Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page House of Flying Daggers...

Old 02-13-05   #1
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
House of Flying Daggers...

lovely sets and costumes... subpar martial arts and plot.

D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05   #2
syphilis
Darkness Incarnate

syphilis is on a distinguished road
Credits: 31,258
Haven't heard of this movie before,so i looked it up and viewed the trailer.

It looks really nice,kinda reminds me of crouching tiger, hidden dragon.
Old 02-14-05   #3
errantrogue
which one, though?

in that its a feudal chinese setting... nothing else though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 02-14-05   #4
Styles
Reject

Styles is on a distinguished road
Credits: 3,460
I liked it. I felt it was played out too long though. They could have ended it alot earlier. And the changing of the seasons in the last fight, I didn't quite understand that...

Old 02-15-05   #5
Kain424
Death to Hollywood

Kain424 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 90,483
I liked it... I liked it more than I liked Hero (although I didn't necessarily like Hero).

Old 02-15-05   #6
errantrogue
which one, though?

at least hero had good choreographers for their fight scenes... and the whole three day love story was trite.

Old 02-15-05   #7
Kain424
Death to Hollywood

Both of these films had plot that suffered from what many romantic comedies suffer from, which is the lack of honesty. If someone would have been honest in the first place, all of the shit (and it is shit) that follows would never had happened.

Hero, I felt, was worse here because not only did the primary character lie to get where he was, he made the whole damn movie superfluous because he changed his mind and walked away at the end anyway! Everyone dies for nothing (moviewise) and I, the viewer, am back to where I started. I saw some pretty pictures and then went home. That would have been nice if it were really an action flick, but no! It was an arthouse drama. I need story, not people fighting cable-enhanced battles in their minds and pointless suicides.

Old 02-15-05   #8
BlyssfulStorm
Comrads!!!!!!

BlyssfulStorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 65,347
I want to see this. I've been told that I should, for the cinematography, if nothing else.
Old 02-15-05   #9
twentysomething
Moans in the Night

twentysomething is on a distinguished road
Credits: 2,181
I feel like the novelty of this genre is wearing off. Crouching Tiger was awesome, but its been done.
Old 02-15-05   #10
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysomething
I feel like the novelty of this genre is wearing off. Crouching Tiger was awesome, but its been done.
Are you talking about the Hong Kong martial arts genre, or something else? Because if that's what your talking about, its "been done" for decades now, and shows no sign of stopping, which is a good thing. "Crouching Tiger..." was just one in a long line of similar movies.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 02-15-05   #11
errantrogue
which one, though?

but Crouching Tiger was good... Ziyi has been in three major releases by that production company and they've gone from good (CTHD) to meh (Hero) to pretty/shit (HFD)

Old 02-15-05   #12
Kain424
Death to Hollywood

I liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers more than Hero by far.

But you know what's really good? The Street Fighter with Sonny Chiba. Until that film, I don't think that I'd ever seen anyone do a back flip kick to someone's face without it being in slow-motion or done with wires. Plus, it's a gory fun-fest.

Old 02-15-05   #13
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
I'm probably one of the only people in the world who thought that Crouching Tiger was stupid. I'm sorry... but for movies like that, I have to believe the choreography. All those wire tricks with people jumping infinity feet in the air and bouncing off walls makes me think the whole thing is just one big damn cartoon. If I want to watch a martial arts cartoon, there are plenty of those. I want to know what the human body can do, not what the happy fairyland uber-Orient mystical fictional bullshit body can do. I've got Dragonball Z and the Matrix - a movie with justifiably superhuman choreography - for that.
Old 02-15-05   #14
Edge
Soi.

Edge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 100,046
I am with errant on this.
I’ve gotta say what I wanna say
Your face doesn’t show your fighting pose.
Old 02-15-05   #15
Harry Hard-On
It's Ok, You Can Touch It

Harry Hard-On is on a distinguished road
Credits: 69,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by errantrogue
but Crouching Tiger was good... Ziyi has been in three major releases by that production company and they've gone from good (CTHD) to meh (Hero) to pretty/shit (HFD)
I have a similar scale for your taste in movies....
Meh - Idiotic - And Realy Shitty.

|-| /-\ |2 |2 `/ |-| /-\ |2 |) - () |\|

Coldplay = Shit
I Don't Pay Prostitutes For Sex,
I Pay Them To Leave Afterward.

~Charlie Sheen
Old 02-16-05   #16
Kain424
Death to Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by (antihero)
I'm probably one of the only people in the world who thought that Crouching Tiger was stupid. I'm sorry... but for movies like that, I have to believe the choreography. All those wire tricks with people jumping infinity feet in the air and bouncing off walls makes me think the whole thing is just one big damn cartoon...
I said the same thing when I first saw the movie. And I still agree about wire-work. It's pretty fucking annoying even in a film where the story justifies
it (i.e. The Matrix). But I really liked the story, the themes, and the acting (something that The Matrix, for the most part, was lacking) and so I was able to look beyond just the visuals.

Old 02-16-05   #17
kareanne
screw you

kareanne is on a distinguished road
Credits: 4,202
i enjoyed Crouching Tiger, thought it was an an excelllent movie, but their's something about Hero, which caught my interest more, can't really pinpoint it. just have a certain feel for this movie. and speaking in regards to martial arts,Once Apond A Time In China(1,2 and 3 were excellent films as well, for their liberal amount of Chinese history and for their excellent action design.

Last edited by kareanne; 02-16-05 at 14:13.
Old 02-16-05   #18
bobbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by errantrogue
lovely sets and costumes... subpar martial arts and plot.

D
remember
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japanese7eq.jpg (62.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-16-05   #19
bobbbo

Crouching tiger along with 99.999% of all hong kong fuey movies are lame as all hell.
Old 02-16-05   #20
bobbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by (antihero)
I'm probably one of the only people in the world who thought that Crouching Tiger was stupid. I'm sorry... but for movies like that, I have to believe the choreography. All those wire tricks with people jumping infinity feet in the air and bouncing off walls makes me think the whole thing is just one big damn cartoon. If I want to watch a martial arts cartoon, there are plenty of those. I want to know what the human body can do, not what the happy fairyland uber-Orient mystical fictional bullshit body can do. I've got Dragonball Z and the Matrix - a movie with justifiably superhuman choreography - for that.
What is unrealistic about 2 people standing on 1/inch thick tree branches 200 feet in the air fighting and not falling? Get real, thats totally real, they used to like do that back in the old days because AzNs are like kool, and mysterious and like awsome to the max.