Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Iron's Rite and Nivvie's thread of angry weight-loss.

Old 01-09-05   #1
Iron's Rite
United States of Moronica

Location: "The forest folded it's branches around me, something passed by and I went into a dream." -Opeth
Iron's Rite is on a distinguished road
Credits: 253,465
Iron's Rite and Nivvie's thread of angry weight-loss.

Blame Nivvie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivvie
We should have a Fat and Unhealthy Folk thread over on friendship (away from the jeering folk). It would keep things neat and tidy, as a lot of threads these days are going the way of the fat and addicted.
It could be like Weight Watchers and AA all in one. We could go there and say how much we've lost, how miserable we are, and we could all be nice and encouraging to each other.

Why do I get the feeling someone's going to quote that, and I'm going to regret it?
Anyhoo, 2 hours sleep out of 48 so I don't know anything anymore...
Good idea.
Uhh . . . Introductions? We should know each other well enough by now but just give a quick rundown of your current state of health, what you are doing to improve it and why;
I'm 21, I don't smoke, I'm a vegetarian and I only drink rarely. I have been active and healthy all my life in spite of being over-weight but I have just recently decided to try to eat healthier and exercise because I've gotten tired of it. It's all motivated by self-loathing really . . .
So far I have been succesful, I seem to have lost some weight but I don't dare use a scale as I am certain that using one would be counter-productive to my efforts. I have been working out every day, usually for about an hour with sit-ups, squats and push-ups and I get outside and run around my backyard whenever I can too. I also practice martial arts although I have no formal training so it's more because it's a fun workout then anything else. I am attempting to eat smaller portions and less often. Like when I am actually hungry instead of just eating when I want to.
Well, that's my run-down. You're turn?
[hildegard von bingen - ordo virtutum]

Last edited by Iron's Rite; 01-09-05 at 10:11.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05   #2
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

Nivvie is on a distinguished road
Credits: 108,942
Yay!
I saw you were here and clicked to see what you were doing
-creating thread in friendship- it said
Is he? Is it what I think?

Double yay!

So, *stand up* My name is Azniv and I'm tubby.
I did the double of giving up smoking, put on about ten pounds, then a while later got myself knocked up.
I then thought 'Sod it, I'm a mum, I'm allowed to be fat' and so kept eating.
That's bollocks, and now I want to get some confidence back and get back into all my favourite clothes.

My tips to you all include buying some new jeans a size smaller and measuring your weight loss by how well you can get into them, as scales are evil.
I am also chewing a serious amount of gum.

Come on Sybs, where are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-09-05   #3
Iron's Rite

Location: "The forest folded it's branches around me, something passed by and I went into a dream." -Opeth
Ah, advice. Personally, I would recommend joining a well-qualified martial-arts school if you can find the time for it. You get a lot of other benifits out of that besides fitness; self-confidence, the ability to defend yourself if needed.
Look for a school that takes a serious, no frills stance on training and centering though. None of that padded-"attacker", power-word, New-age Bullshit.
Old 01-09-05   #4
TheBladeRoden
Лезвие Роден

TheBladeRoden
Credits: 12,188
Crap, my name's not in the title. Does that mean I can't complain about my health status?
Old 01-09-05   #5
Iron's Rite

Go ahead, I only titled it with our names because I decided to start it after reading Nivvie's suggestion.
Old 01-10-05   #6
Sybs
Unfolding

Sybs is on a distinguished road
Credits: 202,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivvie
Come on Sybs, where are you?
I'm here, I'm here!

My name is Alice, and while plenty people may disagree with me, I want to lose some weight.
I'm nearly 18, smoke sporadically (depends on my mood) and rarely drink.
I'm addicted to Muller Lite yogurts.

Um, um um.... I'm currently on 'Day 5' of my 'diet' (basically healthy eating with a calorie limit, loosely based on the GI plan) which is an unprecedented success, seeing as I only usually manage 2 days.

Today is my 'weigh-in day' and while I have no desire to share my weight with the world I will, post gym visit, disclose the precise amount I have lost since last monday.

I have a pair of Levis I bought, which are my 'aim'.
Old 01-10-05   #7
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

Indeed, there is no need for too much personal weight info, just how much has been lost, if you wish.
I find starting weights depressing, and also misleading.
There are two guy at my work both on diets, and one weighs 15 stone and you can't really see it, and other is 13 1/2 and a right chubby bastard, and they're both the about the same height. One just carries it better than the other, has more muscle, and also wears clothes that fit him better.

I got some Levis too, if you're going to get some 'aim' clothes, it has to be something that would be a total waste of money if you could never wear it.

So, went jogging this morning, and thanks to my new, but a bit cheap MP3 player, I managed not to embarrass myself too badly.
I'm aiming to go Monday, Wednesday and Friday, whatever the weather.

I used to do a lot of Yoga, legs in the air and the like, I'm gonna start that up again, or I'll be a hunch-back by the time I'm thirty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-05   #8
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,389
Just thought I'd post a good luck thing so...good luck everyone!
Old 01-10-05   #9
Sybs
Unfolding

I went to the gym earlier, my running is getting better, I did 3.5km without stopping. I could have done more but I only realised that when I slowed down. I walked the last 500m.

I've lost 3lbs since last monday. But yesterday I weighed myself and I was about a lb lighter. I haven't cheated, I've stuck to my calories, I've eaten healthily... Confusing, but I blame the porridge I had for breakfast, I think that's made me retain water because I really don't see how I can have put on a lb in one day whilst sticking to my diet. It's actually made me feel like I haven't achieved anything. Which sucks.
Old 01-10-05   #10
Iron's Rite

I say to hell with scales. Seriously, you are so much better off going by how your endurance has improved and just sticking with it even if you don't immediatly notice major changes.
Going by your weight to determine health seems like a bad idea to me becuase there are so many other factors, how it pertains to your actual BMI, water retention as Sybs mentioned. Also, the fact that depending on how you work out you might actually not lose as much weight as you expect as you can also gain muscle mass. If you've already been at it for a while I say go ahead but in my opinion it dramatically increases the chances of getting discouraged and giving up early on.
Old 01-10-05   #11
Sybs
Unfolding

Thing is, I'm kinda fit already, just want to lose flab. I'm not really bothered about being super-fit, just want to be skinny.
Old 01-10-05   #12
Iron's Rite

Same here. I hiked over a mountain trail that was at least 5 miles long without any trouble and I even ran out of water halfway.
Old 01-10-05   #13
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybs
I went to the gym earlier, my running is getting better, I did 3.5km without stopping. I could have done more but I only realised that when I slowed down. I walked the last 500m.

I've lost 3lbs since last monday. But yesterday I weighed myself and I was about a lb lighter. I haven't cheated, I've stuck to my calories, I've eaten healthily... Confusing, but I blame the porridge I had for breakfast, I think that's made me retain water because I really don't see how I can have put on a lb in one day whilst sticking to my diet. It's actually made me feel like I haven't achieved anything. Which sucks.
And don't forget the hormone thing, I gain 4lbs and then lose it a few days later every month.
Your running is the important thing, well done!
And well done on 3lbs, if you lose more than that it will just be muscle. Your body won't let you burn lots of fat at once.

Don't forget to watch that addictive tripe Fit Club tomorrow (fat celebs for the record, who are put through their paces by a U.S marine, and have a weigh in), I find it quite nice to look at heavier people than me. And of course, You Are What You Eat is back on C4 on wednesday, beware the scary Scottish woman!

Old 01-11-05   #14
Sybs
Unfolding

I don't have the hormone thing. But you have reminded me of something I have to do, thankyou.
3lbs is really great, I'm pleased.

I love Fit Club! It makes me laugh so much, they have such attitudes on them. I would love to go to a boot camp!
I have the You Are What You Eat book, it's bit bizarre and the theory just doesn't cut it in my head, but it's fun to read.
Old 01-11-05   #15
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

Oo, are you talking about depo-provera?

I gained a stone on that thing. It's not as bad as the implants, but it still makes some people have permanent fluid retention. When I came off it I lost the weight in a month, a very nice feeling indeed.
Still, if it works for you it's great, and a lot less fattening than pregnancy.

Anyhoo, I'm measuring rather than weighing, and since last week I have lost an inch off my wasit.
I'm happy with that as I've still eaten a few things I shouldn't, and only been running once so far, now the kids are back at school. I look dumb enough wobbling along the pavement, I don't need a skinny fit five year old showing me up, charging on ahead.

I know if I go hell for leather I'll give it up, so basically, I have been trying to eat like a normal person that doesn't count marzipan as a suitable dinner.
I make my family eat healthily then I go and eat like a kid who's parents are out of town.
Tut tut.

Old 01-11-05   #16
Sybs
Unfolding

Some people have very bad experiences on DP. However, I was fatter before I went on it than I am now, so it seems to be ok. Plus I've never been very good at using any other form of contraception. The best part I think is that after you've been on it for a while you can't get pregnant for about a year or so when you come off it, which means if anyone is barmy enough to want a child with me then they have a year to change their mind without turning me into a barrel.

I don't want to measure really. I had my boobs measured a week or so ago and that had pleasing results, but I can't imagine I would have the same satisfying results if I measured my arse.

I'm on 1200 calories a day and trying to have as little saturated fat as possible, and of course plenty of yogurt (and fruit and veg), restricting my dense carbs (porridge) to breakfast.

Last edited by Sybs; 01-11-05 at 06:07.
Old 01-11-05   #17
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

I'm on between 1400-1600 a day. I wish I could do 1200, but I know it'll only last a few days. Sometimes, especially if we're very busy at work I do the Slim Fast thing, then it's about 1200, but too much of that and I'd end up in prison for a myriad of offences.

Old 01-11-05   #18
Sybs
Unfolding

I wish I could do 800 a day, but I just break down and reach for the chocolate/prawn cocktail crisps/baileys.
Old 01-11-05   #19
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

800 a day and you'd be damaging your health, possibly forver. It puts a massive strain on your heart and immune system. No point being skinny and dead, although, coffins are cheaper....
Your body would think it was in a famine and retain as much fat as possible. Your metabolism would virtually stop.

What you're doing is good, keep that up.

*gets out short skirt and pom poms and does a little cheer for Sybs*

Old 01-11-05   #20
Sybs
Unfolding

I know, but I used to be on 400 a day so 1200 seems greedy to me.

That's a point, I'd love to have a cheerleader outfit.