Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page R.I.P- Atkins Diet (2003-2004)

Old 12-30-04   #1
silverflame
a strange little lesbian

silverflame is on a distinguished road
Credits: 87,417
R.I.P- Atkins Diet (2003-2004)

" At least God has a sense of humor about the end of the world. Dr. Atkins died. Slipped, hit his head, got brain damage, died on life support. The man that invented the all meat diet...died a vegetable."
Christopher Titus, Irvine Improv, May 8 2003

do you guys think the craze is finally over?
Old 12-30-04   #2
Sybs
Unfolding

Sybs is on a distinguished road
Credits: 202,466
People will always do faddy diets because they want a quick fix, but the body isn't stupid, it sees starvation/nutrient deficiency the moment you start cutting down on food and will try as hard as it can to hold onto that fat.

It will always work for someone, and that person then convinces their friend etc etc etc.

As for keeping it up long-term?
Personally, I couldn't give up my peas
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04   #3
bluten
human

bluten is on a distinguished road
Credits: 14,010
There's something seriously wrong with that diet. You body derives most of it's needed energy from charbohydrates, you shouldn't be cutting back on them. Proper management of what you eat is what's key here...
Old 12-30-04   #4
silverflame
a strange little lesbian

so why haven't people caught on to that? are they stupid or just plain gullible?
Old 12-30-04   #5
bluten
human

bluten is on a distinguished road
Credits: 14,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflame
so why haven't people caught on to that? are they stupid or just plain gullible?
It's what Sybs said, people looking for a quick fix.
Old 12-30-04   #6
silverflame
a strange little lesbian

yeah, well...life is not a quick fix. i was so angry when i found out my grandma had bought into that shit. she has ms (multiple sclorois)(sp?) and that is EXTREMELY bad for her health. good thing she's not doing it anymore.
Old 12-30-04   #7
Sybs
Unfolding

It's terrible strain on ya kidneys.
Old 12-30-04   #8
Sybs
Unfolding

The problem with carbs is when some dumb arse gets the idea that roast potatoes are the staple of a healthy balanced diet, or that fried bread should be the main basis of every meal.

Look at the Japanese: rice, fish and stir fried vegetables. They have this weight control malarkey off pat.
Besides, if you can only eat with chopsticks you'll eat much less.
Old 12-30-04   #9
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

Nivvie is on a distinguished road
Credits: 108,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybs
The problem with carbs is when some dumb arse gets the idea that roast potatoes are the staple of a healthy balanced diet, or that fried bread should be the main basis of every meal.

Look at the Japanese: rice, fish and stir fried vegetables. They have this weight control malarkey off pat.
Besides, if you can only eat with chopsticks you'll eat much less.
And it takes longer. You body has a chance to feel full, recognise the signs, instead of just gobbling and then sitting back, burping, and thinking,'shit, I'm stuffed. Can't move a muscle.'

Although, the Atkin's diet does have some benefits and these should surely be enough to put any healthy person off. A diet ridiculously high in protein can help those with very severe epilepsy, so that shows you the effects it can have on your brain. It's best only attempted when you life is one long mass of fits that could render you brain damaged at any point, and if not, for God's sake, have a potato.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-30-04   #10
Sybs
Unfolding

People set themselves ridiculous goals, and fad diets promise they will achieve them.
C'est la probleme.

Last edited by Sybs; 12-30-04 at 09:50.
Old 12-30-04   #11
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
The Atkins Diet was (and still is) unhealthy as all hell. I've read way too much about that crap. It's badbadbad. Don't ever do it, or i'll come and give you brain damage.
Old 12-30-04   #12
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Lenina will become famous soon enough
Credits: 375,069
What the fuck is a diet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You'll never understand it
Try to buy and brand it
I win, you lose, cause it's my job
To keep punk rock elite
Old 01-02-05   #13
silverflame
a strange little lesbian

i don't believe in diets...they're against my religion
Old 01-02-05   #14
Synikul
fucking jackass

Synikul is on a distinguished road
Credits: 117,776
Atkins works. I dropped 25 pounds in 3 months doing it hard core. The diet isn't good for long term, but it works great when you want to jump start your weight loss.
Old 01-02-05   #15
Sybs
Unfolding

It doesn't work for everyone though. I know if I tried it I would gain weight, my body is not used to large amounts of fat and protein and would react by making me blow into a balloon.
Old 01-02-05   #16
Nivvie
is an acrobatic hamster!

Nivvie is on a distinguished road
Credits: 108,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synikul
Atkins works. I dropped 25 pounds in 3 months doing it hard core. The diet isn't good for long term, but it works great when you want to jump start your weight loss.
Atkins works, but not through any of the reasons it claims, it a physical impossibility.

It claims that you don't have to count calories, eat as much as you like in the way of fat and protein, and not put on weight due to the processes your body must go through to extract the energy.
That's bollocks, and the energy must go somewhere, hence the whole constant state of matter and energy theory. It cannot be desroyed, just moved.

Tests were done and it was proven that due to the nature of the food eaten, it satisfying qualities and the signals sent to the brain, it made you feel fuller, but the average person on Atkin's consumes no more calories than any other dieter, about 1200 a day. If you break it down, you could lose just as much weight if you ate 1200 of sensible food, but that's harder as without banned foods, there is a tendancy to have just another piece of bread, chip, etc, but when these things are totally out, there's less risk.

But the real risk is that people have died of malnutrition on the Atkin's diet.

And everyone I've ever known that has done Atkin's has had dog breath and been constipated to the point of insanity.

Old 01-02-05   #17
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
The Department of Health is thinking of changing around the food pyramid because of the Atkins Diet.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 01-02-05   #18
Sybs
Unfolding

That's ridiculous.
Old 01-02-05   #19
Synikul
fucking jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybs
It doesn't work for everyone though. I know if I tried it I would gain weight, my body is not used to large amounts of fat and protein and would react by making me blow into a balloon.
Read the book, do it right, and it will work for you too. In the first week you actually feel your body change. You get grumpy, and feel hungry, because your body is starved of carbs, and it's still looking for the carbs. Then it's like a switch gets turned in your body somewhere, you start burning fat, and feel great.
Old 01-02-05   #20
Synikul
fucking jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivvie
Atkins works, but not through any of the reasons it claims, it a physical impossibility.

It claims that you don't have to count calories, eat as much as you like in the way of fat and protein, and not put on weight due to the processes your body must go through to extract the energy.
That's bollocks, and the energy must go somewhere, hence the whole constant state of matter and energy theory. It cannot be desroyed, just moved.

Tests were done and it was proven that due to the nature of the food eaten, it satisfying qualities and the signals sent to the brain, it made you feel fuller, but the average person on Atkin's consumes no more calories than any other dieter, about 1200 a day. If you break it down, you could lose just as much weight if you ate 1200 of sensible food, but that's harder as without banned foods, there is a tendancy to have just another piece of bread, chip, etc, but when these things are totally out, there's less risk.

But the real risk is that people have died of malnutrition on the Atkin's diet.

And everyone I've ever known that has done Atkin's has had dog breath and been constipated to the point of insanity.
Tests are always conducted to prove a predetermined point decided on by the tester.