Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page setting up home wireless

Old 12-27-04   #1
SSJAoshi
my avys bigger than yours

Location: the wonderful word of hentai. oh how beutiful it is!
SSJAoshi is on a distinguished road
Credits: 50,658
setting up home wireless

so ive got my desktop running windows xp on cable internet, the modem is connected through USB...
then ive got the access point is connected to the pc with an rj 45 cable... and its plugged into L1 socket in the access point

so what i want to do is have the other computers in the house be able to share the internet connection that the connected desktop has.

i dont think the access point came with any software, but the wireless adaptors did
ive tried heaps of stuff but nothing seems to work, i somehow got a two computers connected to share files, but not internet... and now the connection seems to have disappeared...

any help to get this working would be greatly appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04   #2
bluten
human

bluten is on a distinguished road
Credits: 14,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJAoshi
so ive got my desktop running windows xp on cable internet, the modem is connected through USB...
then ive got the access point is connected to the pc with an rj 45 cable... and its plugged into L1 socket in the access point

so what i want to do is have the other computers in the house be able to share the internet connection that the connected desktop has.

i dont think the access point came with any software, but the wireless adaptors did
ive tried heaps of stuff but nothing seems to work, i somehow got a two computers connected to share files, but not internet... and now the connection seems to have disappeared...

any help to get this working would be greatly appreciated
yay, I get to geek out!

Ok, I've never messed w/ an access point, only routers and the like. I'm assuming your access point has only one ethernet port (rj45).. you need your cable modem connected to the access point and NOT the PC, with each computer needing a wireless card/adapter for internet access. The only way I figure you could run it the other way is be using the internet connection sharing tool built into XP.. but I've messed w/ it before and was only successful in linking one computer.. it won't allow multiple computers running off one. Good luck. any more questions, feel free to ask.

edit: also, if after connecting the access point to cable modem directly....make sure the access point is set for AP mode (Access Point) and enable DHCP.

Last edited by bluten; 12-27-04 at 18:03.
Old 01-20-05   #3
patryn
fuck off

patryn will become famous soon enoughpatryn will become famous soon enough
Credits: 171,553
i believe you have to bridge the ethernet and wireless connections via network connections in order to share the net without distributing through a router.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jesus wants his fucking whistle.