Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page New users introduce yourselves

Old 11-25-10   #2041
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah View Post
But at the end of the day, I realize that your objections are bullshit and you basically just don't like when I point out that you're wrong about something, or I guess, empathically, Wicked; you're not stepping in threads here to defend Pahu or Dyshade from my dastardly contrarianism.
Typically I understand where you are coming from even if I do not agree.

This whole little paragraph crumbles into pieces though.

I don't even know why you mentioned I or Pahu.

Makes no sense I say, no sense at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10   #2042
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,680
Quote:
Wicked lives in England, which is, for all intents and purposes, America Beta.. You married a European. Yeah, somehow I'm not feeling the "God, it's so ridiculous that you think having actually studied this subject gives you an edge" angle working for you here, even were there an actual level of experience abroad that would validate the kind of claim that says Americans can be generalized and Europeans can't..
What? America Beta? You just proved his point. You have no idea what cultural differences exist in England. You assume because we have McDonald's and get 90210 and the NFL plays a single game a year at Wembley that it's America Beta? Every day life helps define culture. And culture defines a country. Yes to an idiot with arrogant tunnel vision there are a lot of similarities on the surface, but that's where it ends. When was the last time you had a sink with two separate taps, one for hot and one for cold? When was the last time you got 27 days paid holiday a year outside of sick leave and public holidays because the government says you have to give that to employees? Do you celebrate Boxing Day? Guy Fawkes? Eat a yorkshire pudding with gravy and a side of mushy peas as part of your Sunday roast? I bet you loooove black pudding as well. Shopping at a Tesco? Had a run in with a chav or god forbid a yardie? Absolutely can't miss Never Mind the Buzzcocks because GODDAMMIT you love Noel Fielding? Tried going shopping after 5 on a weekday only to find every shop but the paki shops are closed, except for that one day where there's late night shopping... but you wouldn't know which day that is BECAUSE YOU'VE NEVER LIVED IN ENGLAND.

Old 11-25-10   #2043
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,266
You can validly generalize sometimes, for sure. In america we have the same leaders whether we live in Florida or Washington state. We get the same TV shows, we watch the same commercials we shop at virtually the same stores, and its been that way for 100 years. The accents are different, the politics might be different, but those two states are mostly the same when compared to the rest of the world.

Now you compare two countries on the opposite ends of Europe. Western Turkey and Ireland. Yeah they've all seen Transformers 2, they've all heard Lady Gaga, but both of those nations have a wealth of culture, media, music, food, and traditions that are unique only to them. Could you call an Irishman a turk and when he corrects you say "Eh, same difference"? Nobody is arguing that America is big, and we have a lot of diversity between our two oceans, but it is MUCH easier to generalize one country that has been around for a couple hundred years than it is to generalize a continent (OH SNAP NO I DIDNT) of countries with their own cultures and thousands of years of history.

Sadly I think this whole argument could have been avoided if you'd just said "The Western World" or something like that.

Old 11-25-10   #2044
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g View Post
You can validly generalize sometimes, for sure.
Yeah. And all fat people smell. This cannot be argued.

Old 11-25-10   #2045
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 3,178
I offer as exhibit A that Wicked considers eating a Yorkshire pudding to be a significant cultural difference.

If you traveled from Alabama to southern Florida, to D.C., to New York, to Maine, thence to Michigan and San Antonio and Seattle and San Francisco and Hawaii, you'd encounter similar differences along the way, although granted that those differences wouldn't be exacerbated by completely different governance.

No one who is remotely informed and serious considers the cultural differences between the US and the UK to be significant, anymore than the differences between the US and Canada.

Alaska and Florida occupying different ends of a vast and actual continent, incidentally.

Now I wouldn't pretend that the differences between continental European countries aren't greater; they've had centuries and in some cases millenia to establish their own languages and traditions, after all. But that's a difference of degree. America is not categorically "all the same thing", and Europe is not categorically "impossible to generalize", which is what Wicked's argument amounted to.
Old 11-25-10   #2046
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,266
I'm gonna stop participating this and go smash my dick between two cinder blocks. I'd get more accomplished.

Old 11-26-10   #2047
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Yeah?
Old 11-26-10   #2048
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Quote:
I offer as exhibit A that Wicked considers eating a Yorkshire pudding to be a significant cultural difference.

America is not categorically "all the same thing", and Europe is not categorically "impossible to generalize", which is what Wicked's argument amounted to.
First off, I never said that any of that stuff was a significant cultural difference. I said every day life helps define a culture and then went on to list some every day activities that are wholly different from America.

Secondly, I never said Europe was impossible to generalize. I said that American mentalities are easier to group that European ones.

But if you want to purposely trivialize things and completely rewrite others I'll join fr0g in the dick smashing.

Old 11-26-10   #2049
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I never said that America was the same as Europe, or that Europe didn't contain greater overall diversity of culture and political opinion than America; I just said they were comparable. Target and Wal-Mart are comparable, though the latter is a far larger corporation.
Old 11-26-10   #2050
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Pedal faster!

Old 11-26-10   #2051
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I literally have no idea what it would take to make you happy.

You started an annoying, pedantic argument over nothing, and then claimed that oh of course I wasn't going to agree with you because I never admit that I'm wrong (my being wrong obviously being a given since you said so and you're always rights).

When the prospect of an understanding rears its ugly head, you now want to start an annoying and pedantic argument about whether or not I'm backpedaling because you've realized I'm not actually wrong, which is still impossible because of course you said I was wrong before so it has to have been true.

Last edited by Dark Messiah; 11-26-10 at 17:42.
Old 11-27-10   #2052
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Why do you care if I'm happy? I think you're a tool. You've known this for a long time, but it still seems to surprise you when I remind you.

Old 11-27-10   #2053
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,473
I think DM has youthful Alzheimers.

S.O.D.

Old 11-29-10   #2054
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lady View Post
Why do you care if I'm happy? I think you're a tool. You've known this for a long time, but it still seems to surprise you when I remind you.
What surprises me is your logical and emotional inconsistency.

Also?

Dyshade is agreeing with you. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Last edited by Dark Messiah; 11-29-10 at 02:00.
Old 11-30-10   #2055
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

I'm sorry I can't be more constant so you can be more comfortable. The ability to adapt is overrated.

Old 11-30-10   #2056
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I forgive you.
Old 12-06-10   #2057
SybaCid
New Blood

SybaCid has disabled reputation
Credits: 860
Hello everyone!! I'm here coming from Sunny South Africa! This place looks like a great place to hang out.

() ()
( '.' )
(")_(")
Old 12-06-10   #2058
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Rabbit or bot? Rabbot?
Old 12-06-10   #2059
SybaCid
New Blood

SybaCid has disabled reputation
Credits: 860
Rabbot! hehe. No not a bot bru.
Old 12-06-10   #2060
Nightcap
New Blood

Nightcap has disabled reputation
Credits: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SybaCid View Post
Hello everyone!! I'm here coming from Sunny South Africa! This place looks like a great place to hang out.

() ()
( '.' )
(")_(")
I can do that too.
() ()
( '.' )
(")_(")

Your not so special.