Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page Battle of the Game Systems - Xbox vs. Gamecube vs. PS2

Old 11-14-04   #1
Abigor
Born Of Fire

Abigor is on a distinguished road
Credits: 13,464
Battle of the Game Systems - Xbox vs. Gamecube vs. PS2

The presence of these three systems has caused many debates and arguments over which is better. You may ask yourself, "Which is the best?" or "Which should I buy?" I'll give you the low down on these three systems.

The Xbox

The Xbox is the latest from Microsoft and has the most powerful hardware out of the 3 systems. The Xbox doubles as a DVD player, but it requires a remote controller that needs to be purchased separately. It also has 4 controller plug-ins that allow up to four players to play simultaneously. The Xbox has a wider variety of games than that of the Gamecube, but not as many as the Playstation

An advantage that it has over the other 2 systems is that it doesn't need a memory card because it has its own hard drive. Another special feature that only the Xbox has is the ability to make your own soundtracks and play them while you're playing your favorite game. On a personal note, it seems to me that they have lots of "rent only" type of games that would only be good for a few days then get boring, but that's just my opinion.

The Xbox has recently made a great decision by getting rid of the old bulky controllers that looked and felt very uncomfortable and replaced them with a sleek smaller one. The Controller Type S as it's called is similar to the PS2's and the Gamecube's. Recently the Xbox has dropped in price to $199 US, so it is now more affordable.

The Gamecube

The Gamecube is the smallest of the three yet it has the second most powerful processor. The system is produced by Nintendo, a company that has been in the gaming industry for 20 years. The Gamecube doesn't have a DVD player but it is also the cheapest system at $149 US.

The Gamecube doesn't have as many games as the PS2 but it had some of it popular titles. The controllers are small, convenient and comfortable. The Gamecube needs a Memory Card to save game process. A bonus of this system is that if you have a Game Boy Advance, you can connect the two using a connection cable. With this attachment, you can plan strategies in your favorite sports games on the screen of the Game Boy Advance, and then play them out in the game. It also features a Wireless Wavebird controller that is completely portable, so there are no cords to trip over. A new memory card has been released that has 251 slots instead of 51, over 4 times as much storage. The system also comes in 3 colors, Indigo, Black and Spice Orange, as do the controllers. The Gamecube is also very small and compact. Overall a good system, it could use some more games, but for the amount of features it has, a great deal.

The Playstation 2

The Playstation 2 is the oldest of the three systems yet it still has graphics rivaling the other three. The system is produced by Sony who also has experience in the gaming industry. Since it is the oldest of the three, the hardware specs aren't as good as the Gamecube or the Xbox but it still has awesome graphics.

The Playstation 2 controllers are very comfortable and similar to the Gamecube's. Also, Playstation 1 controllers are able to work on the Playstation 2 but the Playstation 2 controllers have unique features that the Playstation 1 controller doesn't have, such as pressure sensitivity.

A great feature of the Playstation 2 is its ability to play Playstation 1 games and DVD's. To play DVD's you'll need to buy a separate remote control. The Playstation 2 also works on its side so it's standing vertically. The stand that holds it vertically is sold separately. The system has about 200 games on the market. Also, a memory card is required to save game progress. Overall, the system is very good. Sony makes games for a wide range of ages and tastes and I would highly recommend this system to anyone.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-04   #2
Edge
Soi.

Edge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 100,046
It all comes about who makes most games. PS2 is the winner for me.
Iíve gotta say what I wanna say
Your face doesnít show your fighting pose.
Old 11-15-04   #3
Crypt
___

Crypt is on a distinguished road
Credits: 132,985
i own the PS2 and the X-Box and have to say unless you have a modded xbox the PS2 is a better system

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

" It is easier to write words on water then to try to use argument on a christian"
Old 11-15-04   #4
FuckBag
Manipulating your brain

FuckBag is on a distinguished road
Credits: 7,852
XBOX all the way, altough I haven't got one
Old 11-15-04   #5
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
I have all three. As far as hardware goes, the PS2 pales in comparison to the Xbox, and even the Gamecube. The Xbox in the undisputable winner in terms of hardware; games that come out for both the PS2 and the Xbox ALWAYS look better on the Xbox. You can quote me on that.

In terms of games, PS2 still has the edge, but Xbox is starting to compete. Gamecube is in its own little happy-fairly-la-la land, sadly; more third party licenses would be nice.

Hardware:
1. Xbox
2. Gamecube
3. PS2

Games
1. PS2
2. Xbox
3. Gamecube
Old 11-15-04   #6
Sic Simon
Permanently Banned

Sic Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 304,625
well i dont play anything but my snes and ps2 sometimes but i listen to music and watch dvds on my xbox and gamecube is a fucking joke so i vote uhh...my gateway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-04   #7
Phage
Masticator

Phage is on a distinguished road
Credits: 39,708
I've been debating the x-box and the ps2 for a while now. Does the x-box play pirated stuff or do you have to get it modded? I know that the most recent ps2 plays prettymuch anything that's been put onto a cd.
Old 11-16-04   #8
Nox noctis Umbra
Proud papa

Nox noctis Umbra is on a distinguished road
Credits: 96,032
God what am I the only gamecube? I like the ps2 and I would have to have a damn good reason to buy the xbox, though doom 3 might end up giving me that reason. Those of you who would laugh and mock me for owning a gamecube, fuck off. I like it cause I can play Metroid prime1 and 2 The zelda games, and metal gear solid twin snakes( I used to have more, but alas I had to sell them).
Old 11-16-04   #9
Jobe

I have a PS2 & a Gamecube, and although the PS2 is far better and my little Cube is gathering dust you can't beat for the sheer fun of some of it's titles. I also bought it because I am a Mario Kart nut!!! I have Mario Kart on SNES, N64 and now the Cube. I also love it for titles such as Luigi's Mansion, Enternal Darkness and Mario Party, call me lame but they are just so fun to play...
Old 11-16-04   #10
Nox noctis Umbra
Proud papa

Yeah I had a similar problem before my ps2 broke..... cheap piece of shit anyways. But then I also had the laser on my cube go out while still under warrenty....... maybe I should have left it on so much.
Old 11-16-04   #11
cola
Broken Condom

cola is on a distinguished road
Credits: 53,526
you do know the PS2 won right

oh and you don't need a remote to play dvd's with ps2......just xbox

Last edited by cola; 11-16-04 at 17:26.
Old 11-16-04   #12
Nox noctis Umbra
Proud papa

Well yeah thats cause the xbox sucks, cause Billy boy wants more money. I will stick with my PS2(when I can get another one, the newer ones are kind of nice) And my gamecube. Unless I decide that I want to get back into doom
Old 11-17-04   #13
(antihero)
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Lord
Well yeah thats cause the xbox sucks, cause Billy boy wants more money. I will stick with my PS2(when I can get another one, the newer ones are kind of nice) And my gamecube. Unless I decide that I want to get back into doom
The Xbox doesn't suck at all; you're just saying that because you're clearly a loyalist. Objectivity is key.
Old 11-17-04   #14
Jobe

I agree that the XBox doesn't exactly suck, but I don't find the need to have one. I find that my PS2 takes care of my main gaming needs and my little Cube is just something fun that I play once in a while. Second hand games for the cube are seriously getting to a level where it's only a little more than rental on some games. I picked up Eternal Darkness (which is a cool and freakingly scary game at times) for only £6 ($10 approx)
Old 11-17-04   #15
Edge
Soi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (antihero)
I have all three. As far as hardware goes, the PS2 pales in comparison to the Xbox, and even the Gamecube. The Xbox in the undisputable winner in terms of hardware; games that come out for both the PS2 and the Xbox ALWAYS look better on the Xbox. You can quote me on that.

In terms of games, PS2 still has the edge, but Xbox is starting to compete. Gamecube is in its own little happy-fairly-la-la land, sadly; more third party licenses would be nice.

Hardware:
1. Xbox
2. Gamecube
3. PS2

Games
1. PS2
2. Xbox
3. Gamecube
Is starting to compete...by the time that happens we will have PS3 and everything will start all over again.

Graphics...right, the dithering mode. Please. The only game I am envy of is Ninja Gaiden and ok..Halo.

All else is the same to both consoles. Soul Calibur 2 looks much better in PS2. Plus...the damn analog stick in xbox? And the size of the controller?
I guess it's only my opinion. I regret buying it. At least with the mod chip I got to play the games ps2 did not have.
Old 11-17-04   #16
(antihero)
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Is starting to compete...by the time that happens we will have PS3 and everything will start all over again.

Graphics...right, the dithering mode. Please. The only game I am envy of is Ninja Gaiden and ok..Halo.

All else is the same to both consoles. Soul Calibur 2 looks much better in PS2. Plus...the damn analog stick in xbox? And the size of the controller?
I guess it's only my opinion. I regret buying it. At least with the mod chip I got to play the games ps2 did not have.
They decreased the size of the Xbox controller significantly; the new model rivals the PS2 controller. And the Xbox2 is already in the works as well. PS2 got a BIG head-start.

And no, I still say that games always look better on the Xbox. I have yet to see a game on both systems that runs more smoothly on the PS2. I loves my PS2, but when a new game comes out that's available for both systems, I tend to buy the Xbox version.
Old 11-17-04   #17
Edge
Soi.

Hmm, give me some examples of games? I have some free time and I am willing to try to see if you are right.

PS: I did not know about the controllers. I am going to check tommorow.
Old 11-17-04   #18
Jobe

One area I find the PS2 excels at is the add ons...

Stuff such as the Eyetoy, Dance Mats, Singstar and oddles of other bits and bobs all make up for some great fun.

And before you belittle them, I use my Eyetoy regular and they have just released a whole bunch of titles for it with a lot more planned. Cool fun
Old 11-18-04   #19
xiaphon
Perfection Personified

xiaphon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 58,078
I like my ps2, since I've never really played Xbox.

My brother has an Xbox and pretty much lives on it, but I've never actually played it.

GameCube is fun because the games are kind of cute, Super Smash Bros..Luigi's Mansion..all those other Mario games. Eh..I'm sure there's more, but overall I like PS2.
Old 11-18-04   #20
Nox noctis Umbra
Proud papa

Yeah theres more. The next REsident evil game is coming out on Gamecube