Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page Donnie Darko & its meaning?

Old 10-30-04   #1
ZiggyZ74
Face in the Mist

ZiggyZ74 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,757
Donnie Darko & its meaning?

I guess most people would of heard of Donnie Darko its become something of a cult film. Personally few films blow me away! Apocalypse Now, Pulp Fiction & Fight Club all blow me away & so did Donnie Darko.

Donnie Darko is about an adolescent descending into psychosis well that’s what I got from the film. However others think it’s a film about time travel or a comment upon 80’s materialism. Whatever this has to be one of the most unique films made in recent years & I highly recommend seeing it.

Its going to be one of those films that will be debated for a long time to come.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04   #2
Abigor
Born Of Fire

Abigor is on a distinguished road
Credits: 13,464
I most definitely agree. Everyone should see this film.
Old 10-31-04   #3
Harry Hard-On
It's Ok, You Can Touch It

Harry Hard-On is on a distinguished road
Credits: 69,966
It was very good... aside from Barrymore forcing herself into EVERY fuckin movie she produces.

I was really looking forward to the director's cut, but it didn't come to my town. I can't wait for the DVD though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|-| /-\ |2 |2 `/ |-| /-\ |2 |) - () |\|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coldplay = Shit
I Don't Pay Prostitutes For Sex,
I Pay Them To Leave Afterward.

~Charlie Sheen
Old 10-31-04   #4
drugstore cowboy
all blues

drugstore cowboy is on a distinguished road
Credits: 81,920
i agree with the barrymore comment; thank fuck they removed that "we're losing them to apathy" line in the director's cut... it always made me cringe. anyways, the director's cut puts everything into perspective; it's all spelt out pretty blatantly for you using the roberta sparrow book. the only downside being that some of the mystery is lost, but once you've seen this cut the original doesn't seem complete... so it's kind of got its good and bad points. i prefer the new cut cause it gives the story more of an epic feel, and it's just more complete. my only disappointment was that they moved the church's under the milky way from the party scene, i thought that track fit in perfectly with the rotating shot of donnie.
Old 10-31-04   #5
ZiggyZ74
Face in the Mist

I'm not going to see the Diector's Cut I like the mystery
Old 10-31-04   #6
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
i fall more to the metaphysics side of things... since he only hallucinated and saw the Walking Dead (IE -Creepy Bunny Guy) WHEN he took his meds, not from lack of taking them.

"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 11-01-04   #7
ZiggyZ74
Face in the Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by errantrogue
i fall more to the metaphysics side of things... since he only hallucinated and saw the Walking Dead (IE -Creepy Bunny Guy) WHEN he took his meds, not from lack of taking them.
I think that was point in that do pstchiatric drugs improve somebody or destroy who they are etc?
Old 11-01-04   #8
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

Spikess is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,982
acording to the director there isnt any meaning to the film..

Old 11-04-04   #9
ZiggyZ74
Face in the Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikess
acording to the director there isnt any meaning to the film..
Is he a nihlist
Old 11-05-04   #10
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

nope..just probaly thinks like me, not every film has to have a meaning..you can just have a fucked up film for the sake of just haveing a fucked up film..

Old 11-07-04   #11
Harry Hard-On
It's Ok, You Can Touch It

Harry Hard-On is on a distinguished road
Credits: 69,966
Hey Hey The Director's Cut hits DVD on Feb. 15 2005.
*Tribal Dance*

|-| /-\ |2 |2 `/ |-| /-\ |2 |) - () |\|

Coldplay = Shit
I Don't Pay Prostitutes For Sex,
I Pay Them To Leave Afterward.

~Charlie Sheen
Old 11-11-04   #12
Spikess
Spikes Personal Stalker

its already out in the uk...

Old 11-12-04   #13
Punisher
The Punisher

Punisher is on a distinguished road
Credits: 18,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikess
nope..just probaly thinks like me, not every film has to have a meaning..you can just have a fucked up film for the sake of just haveing a fucked up film..
That or you can come up with your own meaning of the movie and the director wanted it to be personial to every individual that sees it. It could be whatever you wanted it to mean.

I completely agree, amazing movie. I work at a record store (HMV) and we also sell movies as well as CD's. This movie is on sale atm on DVD and I am gonna buy it next week when I get my pay in. Definately a must see.

Btw, that bunny mask rules!

Old 11-12-04   #14
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
watched it again saturday... hmph... i remember it being tighter. anyone else think it was loose? must've not noticed cause i was buzzed last time

"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 01-12-05   #15
sixxx(sic)six
satanic teddybear

Location: Under your bed with a very sharp knife...and nekkid!
sixxx(sic)six is on a distinguished road
Credits: 395,024
so everyone's been rantin' and ravin' about this flick.....so i finally got my hands on it, and decided to resurrect this dead thread....

personally.....i think it blows....i don't see why everyone loves it so much? i'm debating whether or not i want to watch it a second time.....i most likely will, and who knows.....i have this odd way of hatin' a movie the first time then absolutely lovin' it after the second time....

but as it stands i don't like it......i don't care that there's no meaning or anything, i just thought it was poo.........and they could've done so much more with "Frank the Bunny" in my opinion.......

and don't even get me started on time-travel......gah, what a horrible notion

and this whole "gah, what does it mean?! itz such a mind-bender.....you can think about it from so many perspectives"......well, many of you know me, and know that i like to "wax philosophical" from time to time (i should, since i got a B.A. in it) but to me, there isn't any "philosophy" here......i don't like movies that try to explian themselves by simply sayin' they do, or those which try to explain themselves by havin' no explanation......if there is to be no explanation, then don't write it off as there is one.......but the movie really doesn't set off any thoughts in my mind....Irreversible and even One Hour Photo will get my mind goin' more than this flick did

the movie was comical though

Last edited by sixxx(sic)six; 01-12-05 at 06:48.
Old 01-17-05   #16
Sybs
Unfolding

Sybs is on a distinguished road
Credits: 202,466
I like it because Jake Gyllenhaal is a fittie and Maggie Gyllenhaal is a great actress (see Secretary).
Old 01-17-05   #17
bluten
human

bluten is on a distinguished road
Credits: 14,010
If you've seen the DVD, watched all the features and read all the junk on the website (if you could navigate that damn thing) you can piece together the movie some more, but it only serves to further screw the plot. ((ermm..spoiler warning ahead))

Frank the Bunny was the catalyst for this whole "tangent" universe. He's the one who called Donnie from his sleep before the engine crashed through his bedroom. Now, he helps Donnie fix what he has wronged.. which is to return to the begining of the movie and die in his room. By doing so, he ultimately saves the entire universe from destruction..again, Franks fault. Going on that "Philosophy of Time Travel" supplement, Frank is supposed to be the dead coming back to help Donnie, but he didn't die until Donnie shot him near the end... so if Frank wasn't dead 'till almost the end of the movie, how was he able to save Donnie in the begining? arrrrr!!! God I hate this movie, it was a good first watch.. but the more I thought about it, the more it pissed me off. there have been a lot of people lately hyping up this movie to the poing of pretentiousness. It's an OK movie at best.

Last edited by bluten; 01-17-05 at 19:24.