Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page A Problem with Alternate Realities..

Old 07-20-04   #1
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
A Problem with Alternate Realities..

Yes, el stupido(or whatnot) is back with another problem/question.

How can a single decision carry enough energy within it to generate another reality?

What do I mean?

Supposedly every choice, every alteration in an action or various other things(Like walking an inch further or not) result in the creation of alternate realities.

If this is the case than an immense amount of energy is being generated every SECOND. No, not day, but SECOND. Whole universes are being created, and as such causing all new planets and so on and so forth, which in turn add on to the creation of more universes.

The sheer volume of creation occuring would therein be in direct violation of the "We can neither create nor destroy energy." If this was the case, than that would mean whole universes popping in out of nowhere makes no sense.

Also, exactly where do these universes appear? Parallel to a current universe? And if that is the case, than since it's a three-dimensional existence we live in exactly which direction would that parallelness be in?

I have a hard time swallowing this alternate reality theory..
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04   #2
Aeternus
-= Grey CyberAngel =-

Location: 41:65:74:65:72:6E:75:73 => 58:65:78:71:82:89:58:00 <=
Aeternus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 112,545
Are these energies actually created? Or simply duplicated into a different state?

I think there's simply too little information available to be able to begin to answer that particular question.

... Time has no bearing...
...when the whiteout begins...

Don't come after me...

Old 07-20-04   #3
crypt orchid
: f : u : c : k : e : r :

crypt orchid is on a distinguished road
Credits: 56,182
Energy isn't created, it's utilized. (Not sure what happens after that, though) Planets and universes (or whatever you want to call them) are made of matter and created through the utilization of energy.

I'm stupid, so I'll just throw that in and see what happens.

Old 07-20-04   #4
sixxx(sic)six
satanic teddybear

Location: Under your bed with a very sharp knife...and nekkid!
sixxx(sic)six is on a distinguished road
Credits: 395,024
what and the hell are you talking about?!

first off, pass the bowl......secondly, don't confuse universe with galaxy or with reality.....what i mean is, in our universe itz a law that "energy cann't be created nor destroyed".....doesn't necessarily deem it so with another "universe"

thridly, where's the proof that every action leads to a creation of sum "reality?"

what i mean is.....what the hell are you babbling about? i don't quite understand....are you saying, everything we do creates realities? and alternate universes?! what?! where does this stem from?
Old 07-21-04   #5
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
the whole conservation of energy thing always leads me back to universal expansion and the cold loneliness that all particles will eventually succumb to should the big crunch fail to occur (where or where are you missing mass?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 07-21-04   #6
*SpaceGhost*
none

*SpaceGhost* is on a distinguished road
Credits: 111,939
Maybe the future and past are happening right now.Over, and over.(Dont mean to sound cliche) but think of it as a movie that is being played somewhere in three theaters,the present,past,and future.Its all happening in one plane.Would'ent it be amazing to see that in the exact spot your in right now,there could be something else going on,that already happened,or has'ent happened yet but is happening right now?
In these three theaters,the movie of reality plays over and over again starting at different times. Now,that you think of it that way,it really is'ent that hard to think of going back to those times.Of course all this is speculation,and does'ent include an ounce of science.
Old 07-21-04   #7
John Preston
Listen

Time related crap doesn't matter buddo, I'm wondering where this nigh-infinite amount of energy is coming from and why a single action/reaction sequence causes a new spawning of universes to come into being.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 07-22-04   #8
*SpaceGhost*
none

*SpaceGhost* is on a distinguished road
Credits: 111,939
thats boring,lets talk about time travel,which is obviously alot cooler!
Old 07-22-04   #9
John Preston
Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SpaceGhost*
thats boring,lets talk about time travel,which is obviously alot cooler!
I beat that horse so hard that it ceased to be.
Old 07-31-04   #10
sixxx(sic)six
satanic teddybear

Location: Under your bed with a very sharp knife...and nekkid!
sixxx(sic)six is on a distinguished road
Credits: 395,024
so you don't think time travel is possible *applauds*
Old 07-31-04   #11
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

diogenes is on a distinguished road
Credits: 19,633
Okay, I'm sure real physics fits into this somewhere ( what the hell do I know, I studied History). But the energy problem is solved simply with the standard answer: energy can niether be created or destroyed, it can however expand and contract. You have to take for granted that since energy can not be created it is allready there-infinite and limitless. okay thats the energy issue. I'don't know about the mass issue though, that it would take to duplicate the matter of a universe unless you take into effect that were talking about unknowns here. can energy create matter? if that is where the universe is drawn from originally why not? the next you start to get into philisophical issues-you have to eliminate fate. Fate is meaningless in a multi-verse where all choices are played out equally. This puts the idea of choice as the most powerfull idea ( or is it a form of energy?) in the multi-verse ( I guess I have to use that term here). The idea that every decision is played out for some reason denotes meaning and purpose which is where we enter the idea of religion and a concious mind ochestrateing the events and pasic principals of reality.

Okay, How's that?
-Slim Pickens
Old 08-13-04   #12
The Pooch
New Blood

The Pooch is on a distinguished road
Credits: 672
I think diogenes has a great finishing there. And I don’t know if this is going off topic, but where I want to go from here is that their very well might be a multi-verse, but in this universe (inside the multi-verse) is where "we" exist. I have doubts that everything as we know it exists in another universe, and the only different is that I chose to wear a red shirt as I typed this. In other universes I would doubt “we” even exist.

A mans walking down a path and he comes to a fork init, he decides to go left. That’s it, he can wonder what might of been if he only went the other way, he might even turn around go back to the fork and take the right instead. No matter what choice this man made, at no point did he have the choice to go down both. Just cause he was making a choice doesn’t mean that at that instant a whole other universe was created for him, that in witch he could make the other choice. He had a choice, he made it and that’s how his life in his universe goes.

*Just an idea, another way to look at it maybe*

Last edited by The Pooch; 08-13-04 at 02:58.
Old 08-13-04   #13
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

My idea is that major events create thier own realities where as small changes whereing a red shirt create something of a 'pocket reality'. This reality would then collapse back into the main reality string once it's played out. example: you where a red shirt instead of green, createing a pocket reality where you wore the green, both of you have the same day-go home at night and take off the shirt chucking it into the corner next to the other/alternate shirt. The pocket realities created by a small change collapse back into the main string and you live your life as before. There can even be realities that weave in and out of each other. Say instead of playing on Darkforum I play on some other forum, but the rest of my life remains constant. the reality would diverge in only that aspect in the way I play on the computer and then collapse back into the main stream for the rest of my life.

Also, just another idea
-Slim Pickens
Old 08-13-04   #14
thefinalw0rd
SaxophoniusExtraordinaire

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
thefinalw0rd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 138,566
Well, if you consider how mind-boggling it is for every second that an alternate reality is created for every decision that every one and every thing every where makes and comes upon.

Conservation of Energy doesn't apply because its only revelant as far as our own universe is concerned. Actually I'm not certain that any energy would be involved at all given that this is time diverging rather than space.
Old 08-13-04   #15
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

I don't think it has anything to do with time but rather space. The split draws from energy to create a different dimensional reality but running along the same timeline.
-Slim Pickens
Old 08-14-04   #16
The Pooch
New Blood

The Pooch is on a distinguished road
Credits: 672
Quote:
My idea is that major events create thier own realities where as small changes whereing a red shirt create something of a 'pocket reality'.
Who’s to say that the red shirt wasn’t a major event? Maybe by wearing the red shirt I get some comment from some one who wouldn't normally of said anything, and this person turns out to impact my life in a substantial way. So this seemingly small event dose steam off into it's own reality, not just a pocket reality. The whole idea of every little decision could result in a whole alternate reality (not just a pocket reality) really dose exist, and by the same standers as the "pocket reality" idea. But it brings me back the idea that I pointed out earlier, of maybe only one actual possible path. We are the products of all of are experiences, thoughts and surrounding up till the point of a decision. Now me being the product of every experience I’ve had up till this point makes it so that I really only have the one choice, that being, to pass on the red shirt. Now if in some other reality where all my life experience are different, and they lead HIM (not me) to the picking of the red shirt, well that’s the point HIM, I cease to be me. The instant we change all my life experiences I'm no longer me. Granted the two lives might still be similar, they are not the same. That "alternate reality" could very well just be some John Doe in a red shirt's life inside of this reality. Similar experiences yet just different enough to pick the red shirt.

*once again it’s just an idea*

Last edited by The Pooch; 08-14-04 at 05:27.
Old 08-14-04   #17
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

By that argument you would have ceased to be 'you' tens of thousands of times by this point. That also begs the idea of weather the soul exists across all the reality strings or if each different 'you' has it's own individual soul. It might result in a 'simultaneous incarnation' situation where you can live all life experiences across all the different strings in a single lifetime.
-Slim Pickens
Old 08-14-04   #18
thefinalw0rd
SaxophoniusExtraordinaire

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
thefinalw0rd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 138,566
Its not the same timeline, otherwise everything would be the same between the two...they occupy the same space at different dimensional "wavelengths" or whatever it is that keeps one separate from another.