Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page FMA vote tomorow another form of segregation and loss of civil rights.

Old 07-13-04   #1
Lanthros
Embracer Of The Dark

Lanthros is on a distinguished road
Credits: 21,764
FMA vote tomorow another form of segregation and loss of civil rights.

Congress convienes tomorow to vote on the FMA (federal marrige ammendment) which if passed will ban all same sex marriges. By makeing this an ammendment to the constitution it is by passing one of the systems of check and balance that was put into the government here and one of the few left that still works. This will keep the supreme court from being able to overturn this decision.

When it boils down to it this is another form of segregation to me and restrictive of the human rights we all are supposed to have. Instead of focusing on the colour of skin now it is focusing on the sexual orientation of the citizens of this country. While some may view gay marrige as defileing the sanctity of marrige under god this is just injecting religion where it isnt supposed to be, in our government. A HUGE fault of bush's. The seperation of church and state is key to the equality of all individuals in this country. Bush himself when called for this ammendment to be initiated stated his reasoning as "relligious morral objections". This comeing from the president who while allowed to have a personal religion is SUPPOSED to be barred from publicly displaying ANY religion.

Just as it was viewed as wrong to deny black people the same rights as the rest of america before so should it be viewed as wrong to deny that to homosexuals. Granted that the homosexual population is a minority in this country right now so were blacks (and still are technicaly) before the civil rights movement. This should in no way be an acceptable move in our government. It is no secret that bush and his administration are playing favourites with the insane religious right (term for such raceist prejudice scum as the christian coalation, jerry fallwell etc..) but also to the obbscenely rich.

Put in simple terms, if you ban gay marrige then you may as well cause all civil rights acts of the past to be sriken from the records along with all constitutional instances of religious freedom. This administration and government in general is fast backslideing into a repugnant past of inequality,delussions of granduer, and corruption not unlike the american view of england before the colonization of america (which is a VERY untrue history taught in the states). SO I say if you support in anyway the FMA then you support segregation and raceism in general.
Old 07-13-04   #2
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Lawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 65,081
Homos already have the right to marry. They just don't like the fact that marriage always has been, and always will be, the union of a man and a woman. Just as men cannot get pregnant, and thus have no right to complain because they can't, homos cannot marry each other, as marriage is defined as the union of those of the opposite sex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-04   #3
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
Credits: 202,919
I think you need to look at infidelity and the divorce rate if you're worried about the sanctity of marriage.

'Time-proven' attitudes denied the ability of man to fly (it's not natural!), showed that the earth was flat, and center of the universe. And, Lawson, can I see a direct dictionary quote on the definition of marriage?

"Move that one of your pieces, which is in the worst plight, unless you can satisfy yourself that you can derive immediate advantage by an attack." -Adolph Anderssen
Old 07-14-04   #4
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d=512&ncid=716

Even Republicans are (thankfully) split on the issue.

Say, Lawson, do you EVER go against party line?

"Move that one of your pieces, which is in the worst plight, unless you can satisfy yourself that you can derive immediate advantage by an attack." -Adolph Anderssen
Old 07-14-04   #5
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

[quote=SirVLCIV]I think you need to look at infidelity and the divorce rate if you're worried about the sanctity of marriage.

Thank Clinton for the decline of morality in America.

Quote:
'Time-proven' attitudes denied the ability of man to fly (it's not natural!), showed that the earth was flat, and center of the universe. And, Lawson, can I see a direct dictionary quote on the definition of marriage?

Main Entry: mar·riage
Pronunciation: 'mer-ij, 'ma-rij
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
1 a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law

I win again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-04   #6
Peter
Non-sequitur

Peter is on a distinguished road
Credits: 65,928
You left out the rest of the definition.

1 a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage b : the mutual relation of married persons : WEDLOCK c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3 : an intimate or close union

Wrong again!

(my emphasis)

I'm afraid I've left this forum, please read

Last edited by Peter; 07-14-04 at 03:01.
Old 07-14-04   #7
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
Oh, and Rush Limbaugh getting divorced! Whatever happened to the sanctity of marriage!!! (I wonder how many Republican congressmen are on their first marriage...)

Old 07-14-04   #8
Peter
Non-sequitur

The sanctity of marriage is ... not existent.

Ask Britney Spears.

Old 07-14-04   #9
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV
Oh, and Rush Limbaugh getting divorced! Whatever happened to the sanctity of marriage!!! (I wonder how many Republican congressmen are on their first marriage...)
So what?

Old 07-14-04   #10
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
You left out the rest of the definition.

1 a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage b : the mutual relation of married persons : WEDLOCK c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3 : an intimate or close union

Wrong again!

(my emphasis)

Sorry, wrong again!

mar·riage ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mrj)
n.

The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The state of being married; wedlock.
A common-law marriage.
A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
A wedding.
A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).
Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

Old 07-14-04   #11
Peter
Non-sequitur

lol, how does disproving your own point with a secondary dictionary because Merriam-Webster doesn't agree with you, make you right?

I think you were better off with your partial definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson
marriage is defined as the union of those of the opposite sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson
A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

Old 07-14-04   #12
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
It's also illegal to sell candy to children on Sundays.

Old 07-14-04   #13
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
lol, how does disproving your own point with a secondary dictionary because Merriam-Webster doesn't agree with you, make you right?

I think you were better off with your partial definition.

English not your first language?

Old 07-14-04   #14
Peter
Non-sequitur

You have nothing.

Sorry, you proved yourself wrong, again. You defined marriage, and it wasn't definitively the union of the opposite sexes.

Old 07-14-04   #15
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
You have nothing.

Sorry, you proved yourself wrong, again. You defined marriage, and it wasn't definitively the union of the opposite sexes.

Wrong again!

mar·riage ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mrj)
n.

The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The state of being married; wedlock.

The truth hurts, but you must take it.

Old 07-14-04   #16
Barely Breathing
Pocket size pocket

Barely Breathing will become famous soon enough
Credits: 201,964
ok, as an outsider just to shush lawson and peter

Definition provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Other important copyright information here.

marriage:

Noun
1. a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife. b. The state of being married; wedlock. c. A common-law marriage. d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage. 2. A wedding. 3. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose). 4. Games The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.
Etymology
Middle English mariage, from Old French, from marier, to marry ; see marry1.
Old 07-14-04   #17
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriWicked
ok, as an outsider just to shush lawson and peter

Definition provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Other important copyright information here.

marriage:

Noun
1. a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife. b. The state of being married; wedlock. c. A common-law marriage. d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage. 2. A wedding. 3. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose). 4. Games The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.
Etymology
Middle English mariage, from Old French, from marier, to marry ; see marry1.

Same definition I quoted. Thanks for agreeing with me. Marriage is legally only between a man and woman.

Old 07-14-04   #18
Lanthros
Embracer Of The Dark

Lanthros is on a distinguished road
Credits: 21,764
LEGALLY but not morally DUH. There by makeing your argument unfounded lawson. Not to mention the deffinition says USUALY NOT THE LEGAL FORCE not allways. This is why the majority of the inteligent people out there are non republicans. The entire idea of a republican argument is simply childish tactics of partial deffinitions misconstrueing facts and plain and simple denial. Im willing to bet lawson that your either an over privaliged white kid or a redneck. Either way you perpetuate stereotypes and close minded false morals best kept only if enforced on others rather then self. Also funny how you state blame clinton for the decline of morality when that would have to be blamed on Nixon A REPUBLICAN. Clintons personal buisness had nothing to do with the running of a country though nixon's did. Also quite interesting how when the republican lynch mob after clinton lary flint uncovered proff of over half of those republicans being involved in far more lurid and immoral activities then even clinton. The saying goes people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones, I preffer saying republicans in glass houses shouldnt shoot shotguns.
Old 07-14-04   #19
Lawson
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthros
LEGALLY but not morally DUH. There by makeing your argument unfounded lawson. Not to mention the deffinition says USUALY NOT THE LEGAL FORCE not allways. This is why the majority of the inteligent people out there are non republicans. The entire idea of a republican argument is simply childish tactics of partial deffinitions misconstrueing facts and plain and simple denial. Im willing to bet lawson that your either an over privaliged white kid or a redneck. Either way you perpetuate stereotypes and close minded false morals best kept only if enforced on others rather then self. Also funny how you state blame clinton for the decline of morality when that would have to be blamed on Nixon A REPUBLICAN. Clintons personal buisness had nothing to do with the running of a country though nixon's did. Also quite interesting how when the republican lynch mob after clinton lary flint uncovered proff of over half of those republicans being involved in far more lurid and immoral activities then even clinton. The saying goes people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones, I preffer saying republicans in glass houses shouldnt shoot shotguns.

Yes, it's morally wrong too, thanks.

Old 07-14-04   #20
Peter
Non-sequitur

Don't worry about Lawson, he just hates it when he proves himself wrong.

Like I say, he was better off with a partial definition. It was far less of a lie that way, just trying to save face now by saying, "look, this marriage definition about same sex marriage means same sex marriage doesn't exist!".

Maybe if he thinks it enough, to him, it becomes truth?, who knows.