Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Big Brother Really IS watching you!

Old 06-12-04   #1
Arkantis
Happiness.

Arkantis is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 28,235
Big Brother Really IS watching you!

Da link
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/kathleen/parker.html

Kathleen Parker
WASHINGTON — While you were watching President Ronald W. Reagan's caisson wend its way up Constitution Avenue to the Capitol Rotunda on your television screen, Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Tommy Thompson was watching you on his screen.

Or, more accurately, watching out for you on numerous satellite video screens in his Washington-based "Command Center" - a surreal, high-tech, couch-potato fantasy located in a large, converted conference room a few steps from Thompson's office in a nondescript building on Independence Avenue.

Thompson gave me a tour of his universe Wednesday, a few hours before Reagan's body arrived in Washington for funeral ceremonies. The aptly named Command Center looks and feels like a hybrid of "Star Trek" and "ER." I half expected Spock and Leonard McCoy to beam down and report to Captain Thompson.

All four walls are filled with plasma television screens, the latest in display technology, including some with satellite videoconferencing capabilities. The floor space is filled with rows of tables and computers, and populated with men and women from various branches of the military as well as civilian experts in science, medicine and bioterrorism.

Thompson put this place and team together about two years ago following the anthrax attacks. Caught off guard and harshly criticized for his handling of the anthrax scare, he clearly doesn't intend to allow a repeat.

"This is the most exciting war room in the world," Thompson says with grim pride. With its own ventilation system, it is also impervious to bioterrorist attack.

If a bomb goes off, Thompson says, "we can stay."

There is solace in that knowledge, even if the technology that permits such preparation is chillingly Orwellian.

"What's your address?" Thompson asks. I give him a street number and a grid suddenly appears on a screen with a tiny computer-generated hand resting on the spot. When I asked if he could tell whether my assistant had shown up for work, Thompson laughed, but not much. In a few months, technology under development will allow his staff to zero in on a license plate.

Another wall is covered with one huge screen (which is really 10 screens cobbled together) that can project the entire planet as a flat, one-dimensional image with touch-pad access to location-specific information. An adjacent wall is home to four television screens that can pick up 4,000 stations. I lift a telephone receiver to hear the telecast from Al-Jazeera. Other screens map weather, storm damage and diseases.

Thompson points to a map of Asia where the avian (H5N1) influenza, a deadly disease, has infected millions of birds (geese, ducks, chickens) and taken a human toll in several countries, including Taiwan, China and Vietnam. This particularly lethal virus, for which there is no vaccine, is Thompson's greatest concern, he says.

Another screen reports on America's 6,600 hospitals. With a finger tap to the screen, Thompson can know instantly the capacity of every hospital in the nation: how many beds, doctors, nurses, etc.

Next to the hospital screen is a grid of The Cloister, the Sea Island, Ga., resort where the G8 (Group of Eight) summit was meeting. From Command Center in Washington, Thompson and his 24/7 crew can direct emergency teams to just the right door - or hospital. A similar mobile surveillance center is deployed in Georgia.

HHS has "multiple" mobile facilities, but Thompson won't say how many. He could tell me, of course, but then he'd have to kill me. That's a joke, but Thompson doesn't laugh much. The former Wisconsin governor, who left office with an 82 percent approval rating, is a serious man these days. Bearing the burden of saving hundreds, thousands or millions of lives in the event of a WMD puts job-related stress in fresh perspective.

Wednesday night was solemn as more than 17 personnel from the Defense Department, as well as various health and emergency agencies, kept close watch over Reagan's entourage and the Georgia summit. Thompson stepped out to attend the formal reception at the Rotunda, but stayed in constant contact with the center throughout the evening. As you were sleeping, Thompson's Command Center was not.

It is an odd sensation to find comfort in the knowledge that your government is watching, but so it goes in the age of terrorism. The movie is us, and "remote control" isn't just a channel changer anymore

-------------------------------------------

I am not a big fan of reading the paper, but I was in my coffee shop and nobody was around so I picked it up and started reading it.
The first thing that I noticed is that "Big Brother" is the chineese comunist goverment, therefore making it one of the worst titles ever. (I mean for the content that is in it)
The second thing that I noticed is that, in startreck there is no "Leonard McCoy" there is a McCoy, and his first name is NEVER EVER stated anyplace (Captin kirk calls him "Bones" everybody else says "McCoy"). I thought it was funny that she said "Spock" and then "Leonard" just beacuse Leonard Nemoy is Spock, that I know for a fact, I met him.
The third thing I noticed is that it was just written poorly, why did they let this woman in this place?

*BTW, I read that in the NEW ULM JOURNAL I dont read the Jewish World Review.

Bad
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04   #2
surreal

surreal is on a distinguished road
Credits: 105,127
in the words of arnold..
i want to go to mars.
Old 06-12-04   #3
Arkantis
Happiness.

Ya, I feel, watched.
Old 06-25-04   #4
DarkSoul
CUNT

DarkSoul is on a distinguished road
Credits: 18,896
pervert......

The dead travel quickly.....

I wish my grass was an Emo, then it would cut itself.
Old 07-11-04   #5
Arkantis
Happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul=)
pervert......
Huh?
Old 07-11-04   #6
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

Dyshade will become famous soon enoughDyshade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkantis
The second thing that I noticed is that, in startreck there is no "Leonard McCoy" there is a McCoy, and his first name is NEVER EVER stated anyplace (Captin kirk calls him "Bones" everybody else says "McCoy"). I thought it was funny that she said "Spock" and then "Leonard" just beacuse Leonard Nemoy is Spock, that I know for a fact, I met him.
The third thing I noticed is that it was just written poorly, why did they let this woman in this place?
Leonard McCoy is Bones. That was the screen name alrighty. You should "Bone" up on your Star Trek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-11-04   #7
Arkantis
Happiness.

Thats what I said.. But he is never refered to as LENORAD .. I looked it up in a star treck dictionary.. My pa is a trekie.
Old 07-11-04   #8
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

diogenes is on a distinguished road
Credits: 19,633
Not to be completly petty but on Star Trek Doctor McCoy's first name is 'Leonard' even though it's only mentioned a few times.
-Slim Pickens
Old 07-11-04   #9
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal
in the words of arnold..
i want to go to mars.
wasn't that
"get your ass to Mars'?

sounds so much more butch
-Slim Pickens
Old 07-11-04   #10
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

You said it was never ever stated anyplace. It is. It states it in every beginning sequence when they list the cast and who plays who

S.O.D.

Old 07-11-04   #11
Arkantis
Happiness.

I be supriesed that a treck encylopedia tells me wrong.
Old 07-11-04   #12
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

thats the problem! your useing the 'treck' encyclopedia-this is "Star Trek", you just had the wrong book dude.
-Slim Pickens
Old 07-11-04   #13
Dyshade
The King Douche
Admin

LOL....... listen up Arkantis---- never do the castmembers utter "Leonard" this is true--- kind of.... maybe--- I will take your word on it though--- BUT in the CREDITS before the show they list all the CastMembers and who they play----

Credits---

Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy---- DeForrest Kelly---

Get it

S.O.D.

Old 07-22-04   #14
DarkSoul
CUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkantis
Huh?

talking about Thompson

Old 07-22-04   #15
Arkantis
Happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshade
LOL....... listen up Arkantis---- never do the castmembers utter "Leonard" this is true--- kind of.... maybe--- I will take your word on it though--- BUT in the CREDITS before the show they list all the CastMembers and who they play----

Credits---

Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy---- DeForrest Kelly---

Get it
Curse my young age...
Old 07-23-04   #16
DarkSoul
CUNT

ha ha ha

Old 07-23-04   #17
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
Actually, he was called leonard several times during the series...

most were during introductions while kirk was trying to get laid..
But i do remember one time a female called him by his first name.. Seems they had been in a relationship at one point in their younger years..

I know this because i used to watch the episodes first run!!!! Yes, i AM that old!!!!

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 07-29-04   #18
DarkSoul
CUNT

wow have you done a hip yet? or aren't you THAT old?

Old 08-05-04   #19
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
I'm old, but not feeble.. I do remember watching voyager.. no wait, that was lost in space.. Back when it, and star trek, were black and white tho..

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 08-06-04   #20
diogenes
Rational Anarchist

Black and white Lost in Space....you mean you never got to see the giant talking space carrot in full glorious technicolor? how sad...damn I'm old too.....
-Slim Pickens