Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page i'm trying to get a debate started here...

Old 03-01-04   #1
silverflame
a strange little lesbian

silverflame is on a distinguished road
Credits: 87,417
i'm trying to get a debate started here...

okay, i will say this now. i have no problems with other religions as long as people don't try to shove their own beliefs down my throat. now that that has been gotten out of the way;

i have a little hobby of studying different world religions. i study their bibles and some scriptures though i myself practice witchcraft. sometime back i noticed something quite interesting and a bit perplexing about comparisons between pagan practices and Christianity.

first thing i notice; monotheistic religions believe that one shouldn't pray to an idol or any representation of what they believe God to look like, right?

*** Christianity has a representation of a form of God on a cross. sometimes, in catholic churches, there are statues of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus in her arms. people go to many of these statues and pray.****

another thing that i notice is that fact that two cetic deities are represented in the same way that Mary holds her child, both when he is but a newborn and dying in her arms. this is Danu holding her baby son, Dagda.

another aspect that has obvious similarities is the christian and pagan holidays.

*yule is the same day as christmas BUT celebrates the winter solstice with a large dinner, tree with charms that act as house guards against evil, and emphasizes giving to others in need

*beltain is the same day as easter, a holiday for the the spring and fertility. easter incoporates eggs, beltain has eggs (a symbol of fertility)

these are just a few, but i could go on and on down the list if i so desired.

the point i'm trying to make is, do you feel that all of the aspects really make christianity a pagan religion? and i want to know why you feel the way that you do. i'm not making any critisisms here, just observations from some past years of extensive research.

Last edited by silverflame; 03-01-04 at 17:56.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04   #2
Heathen
Still The Last

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,520
Christianity evolved from pagan religions, and pagan religions evolved from earlier pagan religions. It's just semantics to me, but to a christian it may be a big deal to imply their religion (or they) evolved from anything.
Old 03-01-04   #3
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflame
first thing i notice; monotheistic religions believe that one shouldn't pray to an idol or any representation of what they believe God to look like, right?

*** Christianity has a representation of a form of God on a cross. sometimes, in catholic churches, there are statues of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus in her arms. people go to many of these statues and pray.****
What? A contradiction in a religion? Do tell...

Quote:
another thing that i notice is that fact that two cetic deities are represented in the same way that Mary holds her child, both when he is but a newborn and dying in her arms. this is Danu holding her baby son, Dagda.

another aspect that has obvious similarities is the christian and pagan holidays.

*yule is the same day as christmas BUT celebrates the winter solstice with a large dinner, tree with charms that act as house guards against evil, and emphasizes giving to others in need

*beltain is the same day as easter, a holiday for the the spring and fertility. easter incoporates eggs, beltain has eggs (a symbol of fertility)
What you have to realize here is that Christian missionaries realized that it would be easier to incorprate important dates and traditions into the religon, allowing for an easier transition to Christianity via recognizable and comfortable things, rather than changing everything wholesale. Then you have religions like Voodoo, where they actually incorporated Jesus and the saints into their already existing pantheon.

It doesn't make Christianity pagan, just makes early Christians wily...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 03-02-04   #4
surreal

surreal is on a distinguished road
Credits: 105,127
Christmas trees are bad ass and no matter what your affiliation you can't deny it. And I'm sure no God is scared of easter eggs.
Old 03-03-04   #5
errhead

errhead is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,286
monotheistic religions believe that one shouldn't pray to an idol or any representation of what they believe God to look like, right?

wrong, certain sects of christianity believe this, and there was much debate about this in early church thought, but it is in no way inherent to all monotheistic religions

christianity has long followed the same philosophy as microsoft, embrace and extend, absorbing portions of the local religions in order to bring different groups of pagans under their power

christianity isn't a pagan religion, because of the way the word pagan is defined as anything nonchristian, but all religions have common elements, and there are many similar elements between christianity and the religions it supplanted.
however, the one universal element of all religions is that god(s) need your money

Last edited by errhead; 03-03-04 at 14:04. Reason: my fingers suck
Old 03-05-04   #6
Kendra
Darkness Incarnate

Kendra will become famous soon enough
Credits: 661,678
Well since I don't know anything about this topic. I really don't know what to say. But since you asked me to come here and look at it. To let you know I read the post and was here. Maybe other people would help you out.
Old 03-18-04   #7
crying childe
demon childe

Location: dark and cold in the silence of a sweaty dream..........no ones here........
crying childe
Credits: 16,419
sooooooo....microsoft is the new religion??

christianity only dictates that you shouldnt worship false idols...
also beltain is the first of may, easter changes dates from year to year.

still the whole judeo christian mytho's is derived from solar myths anyway.

think odin hanging on the storm tree, christ on a cross, the hanged man in tarot...........all for enlightenment......................the list could go on for hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-22-04   #8
Lord-IVD
DM

Lord-IVD is on a distinguished road
Credits: 61,492
All of us are smart enough to see the rip offs in Cristianity !! but ya gotta realize even english and its writings are ripps of pagan oragin ..
Of course lets set up a system that damms all unles they Follow a path thats impossible to walk then surround them with authoritive figures who all seem to be able to walk the walk and talk the talk ..make the rule book the most confusing contridictory ,goes aganist common intellegence etc. and just cap any anomolys with GOD works in mysterious ways and repeated verses that claim your falling into the hands of evil if you ask questions or your not trying to read it with devine help ( ya know because GOD wants you to know him and his ways yet YOU CANNOT read HIS BOOK Without his help and it will take you a support group ( of Special agents of the lord ) to help you stay on track??)) .. yet just about anyone can read the little engine that could ....
Not to mention the IM the GOD of Love and forgivness But im gonna fry all who oppose me etc. Oh wait look ill kill myself to forgive you all and give ya a second chance !! heres the new unreadable rules have fun tata now ..Pisst I'LL BE BACK !!! and you better be ready !! MO HAHAHA !!! Homey dont play that !!

HOWEVER I DO Know GOD and do my best to keep it in my life and dayly actions .And that for ALL the pages in the GOOD BOOK is all that GOD asks of One..

Why give Sheep free will? dammit self is ranting again lol ... here its this simple .

Whats more evil than the Devil?
More Powerful than GOD ?
and if you eat it you will Die !!! ???

ALL ARE ONE .