Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page What qualifies a person as Goth?

Old 01-21-04   #1
Solas
New Blood

Solas is on a distinguished road
Credits: 966
What qualifies a person as Goth?

Hi there! My name is Claudia, and im new here. I have been doing alot of reading, and ive noticed alot of friction between alot of people. Now, i havnt been here long enough to know everyones personalities and relationships with other members, so i wouldnt know if the comments are personal or actuall opinions.

One of the main causes of argument on the forum is the different ideas held between people on what it meens to be Goth. I myself am confused. What doesqualify someone as Goth? This isnt a qustion thats coming from someone thats ignorant, but from someone that is very interested in hearing what others think the definition is.

Actually, when i was young i thought that what it meant to be goth was someone who was very depressed, lonely, and 'different'. The only reason why i thought that was because the kids in my school made it seem that way. When i grew older, i realized that you can be Goth and be very happy.

Does Goth meen that you have to get drunk every weekend, go to clubs and get spanked? =) Does Goth meen that you have to be angry with the world and with yourself? Does go meen you have to have mental problems, slash your wrists, write depressing poetry, and love all thats disturbing?

Those are most of the Stereotypes about Goth. I know that everyone here is aware with them. What does disturb me sometimes, is that i see some people falling right into those stereotypes. Sometimes it even seems like they do it because they cant be themselves, or because they find that since they are already stereotyped as this or that, why not do it? An example : A black person who is loud, rude, into gangs and drugs, and doesnt try to be different because he thinks that thats what it meens to be Black. I know this from experience. This example is in no way an attack to that culture or race.

I troubles me when i see someone who claims to be goth, but they just cant be happy. Im saying this because im perfectly happy and content with the way i am. I dont suffer from depression, nor do i hate the world. Yes, i do think that the world is changing, and for the worst. Yes, people are getting more rude, obnoxious, self indulgent, arrogant, incenstive, etc, by the moment. That is why i choose to be different, and seclude myself from everyone else.

I always thought that Goths had this superiority complex =). But i think that its wrong to think that you are better than anyone else because of what you believe in. Actually, what do we believe in? I know that Goth came from Punk, because two different groups didnt share the same idea on how to rebel against the european government. But, i dont know what Goths believe in now. Does is have a meening anymore? Or is it just a fashion statement?

If its just a fashion statement, then doesnt that just make us like everyone else?
I hope not. Perhaps what brings us together, and what makes us Goth is what our goal is? If we share the same goal that is. I wouldnt know, unless you told me.

*Solas

-Im sorry if my post may be a little unclear but i had so many things running through my mind that i couldnt think. I apologize if this subject has already been posted, but i did do a search for it and found nothing. Please, this is in no way an attack to anyone here, it is just a way for me to find out what everyone else thinks. Thank You.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-04   #2
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
Goth derives from barbaric, or barbarian.
One must be, therefore, barbaric or a barbarian in order to be a goth.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 01-22-04   #3
Billy the Kidd
Self Serving Hypocrite
Admin

Billy the Kidd will become famous soon enough
Credits: 418,233
no no, in order to be goth you have to be homo-erotic and cut yourself alot on impulse.
Old 01-22-04   #4
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,469,744
Anybody who writes that much shit on "What it means to be goth" deserves to be curbied American History X style.

Do you honestly give that much of a shit about the little social classification you've shoved yourself into? Are you proud? Who cares... there are more important things in this world to worry about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-04   #5
patryn
fuck off

patryn will become famous soon enoughpatryn will become famous soon enough
Credits: 171,553
i'm gawth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jesus wants his fucking whistle.
Old 01-22-04   #6
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
This thread proves that God does not exist.
Old 01-22-04   #7
patryn
fuck off

but without god, how could i worship satan, our cousin?

Old 01-22-04   #8
(antihero)
N/A

(antihero) will become famous soon enough
Credits: 297,800
Let the rabbits wear glasses!!!
Old 01-22-04   #9
patryn
fuck off

save our brothers! can i get an amen?

Old 01-22-04   #10
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g
Anybody who writes that much shit on "What it means to be goth" deserves to be curbied American History X style.
Ow.

Ouch.

Owwie.

Ow.

Ouch.

Ooooh.

Ow.

Ow.

Ouch...

Owwwwwwwwww that had to hurt.
Old 01-22-04   #11
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Lenina will become famous soon enough
Credits: 375,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah
Ow.

Ouch.

Owwie.

Ow.

Ouch.

Ooooh.

Ow.

Ow.

Ouch...

You feel everyone elses pain! Thats soooo goffic!!!!

You'll never understand it
Try to buy and brand it
I win, you lose, cause it's my job
To keep punk rock elite
Old 01-22-04   #12
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by (antihero)
This thread proves that God does not exist.
Yeah god does exist!!! I mean, look at me!! Of course I exist!! You will become a Heratic and never darken my doorway again!

Try to buy and brand it
To keep punk rock elite
Old 01-22-04   #13
One
Live. Love. Life. DIE!

One will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas
I apologize if this subject has already been posted, but i did do a search for it and found nothing.
Then you did not look hard enough.
Old 01-22-04   #14
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Then you did not look hard enough.
I was thinking that maybe this thread should have been on the Lifestyles forum somewhere....

Try to buy and brand it
To keep punk rock elite
Old 01-22-04   #15
One
Live. Love. Life. DIE!

yep, it would add nicely to all the same threads that are there already ... of course i think alot of them are hard to find now a days
Old 01-22-04   #16
Lenina
Mad Kangaroo sex

I never go to the lifestyles forum... I mean... Its full of Stapling hands to foreheads and being all "Im soooooo goth ya know OMG LOL WTF? !!!111!!!!!" Its made for the 12 year old AOLer that has a spunky problem....

Try to buy and brand it
To keep punk rock elite
Old 01-22-04   #17
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah
Ow.

Ouch.

Owwie.

Ow.

Ouch.

Ooooh.

Ow.

Ow.

Ouch...

I'm so turned on.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 01-22-04   #18
One
Live. Love. Life. DIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenina
I never go to the lifestyles forum... I mean... Its full of Stapling hands to foreheads and being all "Im soooooo goth ya know OMG LOL WTF? !!!111!!!!!" Its made for the 12 year old AOLer that has a spunky problem....
actually, no its not, that would be the "gothic" subforum of lifestyles that your referring to. The LifeStyles forum itself does not have any of that.
Old 01-22-04   #19
Soul Erosion
Darkness Incarnate

Soul Erosion will become famous soon enough
Credits: 71,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Preston
Goth derives from barbaric, or barbarian.
One must be, therefore, barbaric or a barbarian in order to be a goth.
The term "barbarian" was coined by the Greeks. They thought that anyone who was not Greek (and therefore uncivilized) made sounds like "bar bar bar" when talking, and so they called them barbarians. (Thankyou History Channel) The fact that the term has been allowed to run loose pisses me off.

That's the same for heathen, which is basically anyone who is not Christian. My handle on many other boards is that and my bf told me to change it because it makes me sound "uncivilized." People piss me off some days...Needless to say, but I'm going to say it anyways, he got his ass sent to dictionary.com

And though I would be a priss about this situation like I am with all others, I wont be sending anyone there today, becaue who gives a fuck what "goth" is? :jerk:

Once you get out of HS, you begin to understand that labels aren't everything, especially in a cultural melting pot.
Old 01-22-04   #20
Solas
New Blood

Solas is on a distinguished road
Credits: 966
In responce.

Well, ill be honest and say that i didnt expect this kind of reply. Perhaps i came to the wrong place, nobody hear was able to be mature enough to talk about the topic.

I was neither hurt, nor insulted. Why was it that everyone answered my questions with sarcasm? Do you not have an aswer? If you consider the topic a joke, then you are a joke as well. You are what you believe. It doesnt seem to me that anyone actually took the time to think of an asnwer.

I have been able to talk about this topic with other people without any confrontations. And i have found that there are many reasons why people are the way that they choose to be. Even if its the same thing. I hope that i do triger some kind of question in your minds, and you do take the time to think of the answer.

If you dont know why you do things, and if you have beliefs but contradict yourself, then its needed to take the time, to ask yourself who you really are.
You may still find me as a joke, but life meens more to me, its not just something i can shrugg off. When somebody brings up a question about life, even if i dont understand it, i take the time to. You cant grow as a person if you dont.

Of course, i am aware that that is what makes me me. And that its hard for people to actually step out of there shoes, or circle of life, and view things from another perspective, but its not impossible. You may make fun of me, and what i believe in, but it will be to your waist of time. I am very content with myself, and no matter what anyone else may think, it wont change that.

I try to be the best person i can be, and im constantly trying to improve myself, working for that kind of being that i want to be. Nobody can achieve perfection, but you can come very close. A way of growing is by learning, and that is why i take the time to consider other peoples views, beliefs, etc. That is why i took the time to ask my questions.

Yes, i did look for the topic. But then i am knew, and dont how to work this site well. As i said, i apologize. It isnt right to attack someone for their mistake when they told you that they knew there might be a chance that they were wrong, or if they already apologized for the inconvenience.

If someone you didnt know, or even a friend, asked you why you are Goth, you wouldnt attack them would you? Of course not. Its different then, you would want to prove something it would seem. If someone wanted to know why you are the way that you are, wouldnt you be happy to explain? Actually, you might or might not be happy about it, but most people would take the time to answer that question. Why is it any different now?

Why would you attack someone when they took every effort to make sure that they didnt offend anyone, etc.? Why did you take advantage of the fact that i was openining myself to you?

*Solas