Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Book Of the Week.

Old 08-05-03   #1
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Necropolis is on a distinguished road
Credits: 107,272
Book Of the Week.

In the Interests Of Helping People New to the occult, And just so I can keep track, I am going to put a book up here every week and then say what I thought of it (once I've read it), if you've read it we can discuss it, if your in the Mood. No doubt Lillith will find this amusing but the first Book is from Llewellyn Publications

Psychic Vampires
Protection from Energy Predators and Parasites
Joe H. Slate, Ph. D.
(blurb)
Consuming energy instead of blood, psychic vampires come in a variety of unsusoecting guises. This unique approach to the subject will introduce you to a trio of new theives: group vampires, parasitic vampires, and global vampirism.
Exploring enviromentl, developmental, past-life factors, Psychic Vampires presents effective step by step empowerment procedures that you can use to protect yourself and replenish you energy reserves.
This Practical guide offers:
*And exploration of previously unknown forms of psychic vampirism
*Methods to identify and counteract the effects of psychic attacks
*Thirteen photographs illustrating the "Vampire Shadow Phenomenon," the "Halo effect," and more
*A Seven day Protection Plan.

Joe H. Slate Ph.D. (Alabama), is a licensed psychologist, professor, and founder of the International Parapsychology Reasearch Foundation. He has appeared on the TV programs Sightings and Strange Universe. He is the Authour of five books, including Astral Projection and Psychic Empowerment and Aura Energy for Health, Healing, and Balance.

May Chaos Be Visited Upon You.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03   #2
Hippikiller
Fiend

Hippikiller
Credits: 3,027
i have the book vampires the ocult truth by konstantions who also just happens to be published by Llewellyn

in this book the author tells about the vampires of the past (which arent really vampires) like vlad dracula and elizabeth bathory, psychic vampires and how there are intentional and unintentional vampires and legends of the past
The work of crafts surpassing sin
As She graced Her window ledge
- An orphaned gypsy nymph
This issue of the forest's bed
Skin flushed with sipped absinthe -
Her eyes revealed, as Brocken's peak
Tried once concealing Hell
A snow white line of divine freaks
In riot, where they fell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-have a nice day-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hippikiller; 08-05-03 at 23:37.
Old 08-05-03   #3
Necropolis
Higher Principality

I hope its easier to read than this one is, I am half way through and its heavy going, but so far worth it information wise. I am up to Parasitic Vampires, and so far its taken me longer to read it than any other book.

Old 08-08-03   #4
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Time for My Review.
Psychic Vampires was set in a scientific format(What they were trying to find out, what was done, conclusion, Summary). This made it very hard to get into but very detailed.
The Information was good, along with the excersizes for Protection, and overcoming being a Psychic Vampire. As well as going a little bit into the nature of energy transfer, and energy itself.
I think its at least worth a look at, for all but especially those just starting out.

Old 08-11-03   #5
Necropolis
Higher Principality

New Book

The Wizard
By Alan Baker, Published by the Ebury Press

(blurb)

Wizards have always been powerful iconic figures, whether as Neolithic Shamans, robed Druids, Renaissance mystics or twentieth-century occultists.
The Wizard takes a look at their history, and the broader world of our fasination with the supernatural.
It's a history full of incredible characters: Paracelsus the Alchemist, a major influence on Frankenstein; Dr John Dee, the Elizabethan mathematician who talked to angels; Merlin, a key figure of Celtic Mythology who later inspired Gandalf; and Aleister Crowley, the self-styled 'wickedest man alive.'
But The Wizard also provides an insight into the practical uses of magic, showing how spells, sigils and talismans are thought to work, as well as covering the origins of secret magical societies and their missions.
So whether you have a serious intrest in magical men of the past, or a curiousity about all things occult, The Wizard will entertain with its wealth of mystical information.

Old 08-11-03   #6
Lillith

I love this thread, it's such a brilliant idea. And yes like I said before, that publication house does bring out rather wonderful material! I am rating this thread, I suggest everyone does too.
Old 08-12-03   #7
Necropolis
Higher Principality

My Review for The Wizard.
I liked it alot, everything related to the next subject. I learnt that I have things in common with Apollinus, and that Lovecraft hated occultists. I am not sure about what I think of Cogliostro though.
It made me feel sorry for Crowely (and thats a feat in itself).
It was a very good book, I read it cover to cover in one sitting, and loved it.

Old 08-15-03   #8
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Ok, I am reading some fantasy novels now, befroe I move onto my next one, but this brings up a different point, Katherine Kerr novels, the characters in them use High Magic, and can give you a rough kind of idea on some of its uses, and also in some cases tell you how to do it.

Old 08-15-03   #9
Necropolis
Higher Principality

But in two days when I finish them this is the book I will be reading.

Mysteries Of Magic
By Stuart Holroyd and Niel Powell
Bloomsbury Books

(blurb)
Most of us would like to have power - power over our fates and power over other people. For centuries men and women have sought such power in the rituals and formulas of magic. This book tells how some have turned to the ancient wisdom of the Cabala; how others have looked for it in the hidden meaning of words and sounds; how yet others have thought they found the key in numbers. All have hoped that magic would help them understand and influence the world we live in. What have magicians discovered? Have they in fact succeeded in controlling certai forces? Did they like the alchemists, have deeper motivations than persnal gain?
The second part of this book reveals that many alchemists were notable scientific and philosophic figures of their day: Helvectius, Paracelsus, Dr John Dee, Issac Newtown. They believed that the secret of making gold was tied in the search for spiritual perfection, and that success meant the achievement of immortality. There are traditions of alchemy in the East as in the West, today as in the past.
Did anyone ever succeed in the alchemist's quest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillith
I love this thread, it's such a brilliant idea. And yes like I said before, that publication house does bring out rather wonderful material! I am rating this thread, I suggest everyone does too.
I am glad you like. Although I would like to remind you I said 'Not all Llewellyn books are a waste of time'
And Thank You. Give me reputation?

Old 08-19-03   #10
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Mysteries of Magic what can I say about it? It is not a how to book, nor is it written by magic users or otherwise biased individuals, but it is a complete book written by researchers.
And as such gives an in-depth description of the theories and principals behind magic, how and why each thing is supposed to work, as well as some 'how to' knowledge and some rather amusing stories of magickal mishaps.
Mostly I like the theories and the art, which there is alot of, and that it covered a wide range of styles of magic:
Chance, magic and Synchronicity. Magical Correspondances. Mysteries of The Cabala. Magic Words and Spells. Number magic. Ritual Magic. Books in Stone(Also covers ley-lines). What is Alchemy... etc.
So if your looking for understanding and little bits of magical lore that would otherwise be hard to find, this is a good place to start.

Old 08-19-03   #11
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Write Your Own Magic
Richard Webster
Llewellyn Publications

(blurb)
Create the Life You've always Dreamed about
Write your Own Magic shows you how to use the incredible magical power of words to make your dreams a reality. This guidebook presents the three magic steps essential to manifesting exactly what you want, for dreams both big and small.
First you'll learn how to determine your life's purpose. Next, find out how to write magic that makes your dreams come true in six important areas- physical, spiritual, mental, financial, social, and intuitive.
Finally, discover how to use the hidden power of words- sacred names and secret writings, magic diaries and dissolving ink, along with other simple white magic techniques- to make your desires, hopes and wishes come true!

--END-

By the By the Writer Richard Webster is a New Zelander

Old 08-30-03   #12
Necropolis
Higher Principality

With all thats gone on recently I haven't read the whole thing and really I dont want to anyway, the book is useless to me.
Write Your Own Magic is a self help book all about changing your life to how you want it to be.
It is about using and understanding the power of word to take control of your life and change how you think and feel about things, with words.

Old 09-02-03   #13
Callamus
Hallucinogenic Shaman

Callamus
Credits: 10,405
Wonderful thread Necropolis. I have already decided to read Alan Baker's, The Wizard. I thoiught that you would really like this book.

The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner published by Harper Collins publishers.

In this book Michael Harner anthrpologist and practicing Shaman gives an overview of the history and background of Shamanism. In the beginning of the book he starts out with his own life changing experiance of how he became a shaman and immediately you are hooked. He goes on to explain the background of Shamanism and the cultures that still practice it today. He covers the scientific aspects as well as the spiritual. After a basic education on Shamanism Harner teaches you how to use and benefit from these practises. An awesome book on self help and empowerment. A must read for anyone interested in Shamanism or Etheral/astral projection.

definately one of the BEST books i've ever read!

"...we lose ourselves, but we find it ALL." -system of a down

My eyes are firey blades cutting through darkness, exposing the truths hidden within.
Old 09-03-03   #14
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Callamus, Thank You, I'll look into it .

Old 09-03-03   #15
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

Guy_Person is on a distinguished road
Credits: 120,591
hahaha

Lullaby
Chuck Palahniuk

just read it.

Old 09-05-03   #16
Necropolis
Higher Principality

I am going to have to quit doing this thread for a bit, Tabitha is more important, and being newborn doesn't sleep through the night yet. So I dont have much time for reading.

I was reading this though

Crystal Balls and Crystal Bowls
Tools for Ancient Scrying and Modern Seership
By Ted Andrews
Llewellyn Publications

I cant give you the blurb, its covered up, but heres the first page, before the the Contents and Authors Note.

The Return of Technologies Timeless Tool

Divination, oracles, seership, alchemy-- these words have prokoved scoffs and fear for centuries. Today, the growing partnership between ancient mysticism and modern scirence brings validity and acceptance to many divinatory tools and techniques. In no area is this more evident than in crystal technology.
As transistors and computer chips, crystals are at the heart of tools in the communication field. As personal communication devices, crystal balls and crystal bowls are multi-purpose intruments of transformtion. Both allow individuals to access, amplify, and project energies not normally avaible. Still, with all of their popularity, there has been little practical information on there applications and use.
Now, anyone can utilize crystal balls and crystal bowls in one of their most prized roles. Crystal Balls & Crystal Bowls takes these mighty intruments of divination out of the realm of the occult and places them in the hands of people for empowering personal use. Join author Ted Andrews as he uncovers all the aspects of crystal science and mysticism in the authoiritive guide to Crystal Balls & Crystal Bowls: Tools for Ancient Scrying and Modern Seership.

Old 09-05-03   #17
Necropolis
Higher Principality

I guess its alright, some one the techniques in it I wouldn't use and others I would, theres a very so-so quality about it.
*shrugs* The information was alright, except he kept plugging other books he's written all through it, that and the fact I kept getting the feeling he was trying to sell me pixie dust, hich is not good in a book.
All in all its what I have come to expect from the Majority of Llewellyn books. But if you want to scry, its probably a good book to read anyway.

Old 09-25-03   #18
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Auras
See Them in Only 60 Seconds!
By Mark Smith
Forward by Raymond Moody
Llewellyn Publications

(blurb)
Your arua is a physical manifestation of your soul, and now you can learn how to see auras for yourself by following ten easy steps. There's nothing metaphysical involved, just simple physics and normal eye-sight. Seeing the aura is easy, and Mark Smith shows you how to do it in only 60 seconds!
Learn how the colours of your aura realte to the organs of your body, the chakras, and personality traits. Discover the auric secrets of luminaries such as Jackie Onassis, Jerry Garcia, Jemes Taylor, Al Gore Sr., and others. Jumpstart your health and well being through stimulating the energy of your aura with breathing, meditation, and prayer.
Alleviate insomnia, stomachaches, and minor pains by simply working with the effects of color on your aura. Auras: See Them in Only 60 Seconds! is the ultimate introduction to the emerging spiritual insights to be found within yourself.

Old 09-30-03   #19
MidnightsGarden
New Blood

Location: In the dark Depths of the Bible Belt, Nashville Tennessee
MidnightsGarden is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,367
Wow...I am seriously impressed with this topic... let alone forum... I can not belive I have actually found a book review for new occult persuers that did not include a serious referance to Silver Ravenwolf....I applaud you!!
Old 10-02-03   #20
Fulgore
Face in the Mist

Fulgore
Credits: 2,371
The Grand Grimoire
Trident Books and Ars Obscura

This work claims to be a medieval italian grimoire, and is deeply rooted in black magic. It contains how to make pacts with various demons (Although not nearly as many as listed in the Key of Solomon,and most are just different names for Satan).There is the usual spell for finding treasure, and also communicating with the dead.This book is kinda hard to come by,and unless you would like to know more about Satan I wouldnt recommend it. Wiccans and those who dont like killing things should probably steer clear because it involves sacrifices.

Also,I would have to agree on the quality of this thread.I am gonna have to check out that book on shamanism sometime.