Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Giving Advice

Old 06-27-03   #1
NMaries

Giving Advice

What is giving advice really? Is it just telling people what they should do even, because it is hoped that will do something for them?

Someone told me the story of hypocrit. Apparently he was a great greek philosopher who told everyone else to pick up trash and throw it away, reguardless of whether he did it or not. He had a greater understanding that the streets would be clean or cleaner if others did it.

So while I've been guilty of giving advice what does it really mean? Tonight I was thinking of telling someone on the bored that sex can actually be better. Sure I've haven't ever really orgasimed, yet I did enjoy the relationships more, as friends. Then again I'm all done searching for that one perfect lover. There is no interest. This has happened before though. I stopped having sex or realationships after turning eight-teen. My doctor told me I should be having sex though and diagnosed me with depression.

After having five relationships it started again (no sex or relationships). Since January 13th 2000 I haven't done more than have a close friend. Well pretty much the only person I talk to outside work or school, except, my parents. Not to mention, I'm not going to the doctor's anytime soon either.
Old 06-27-03   #2
Jasen
Repent my children

Jasen is on a distinguished road
Credits: 6,757
It sounds like you're just not a very sexual person. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone has a need to do it. But since you're bringing it up... makes me wonder whether you really do miss it. Or maybe are worried that it's not "normal"?

To me, giving advice is not about telling someone what they should do, it's simply giving them additional information they may not have already had, so that they can better make a decision themself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03   #3
NMaries

Okay, what if it backfires though. Here they put all this trust in you only to be let down. Do you do anything about it?
Old 06-28-03   #4
Lillith

Re: Giving Advice

Quote:
Originally posted by NMaries

Someone told me the story of hypocrit. Apparently he was a great greek philosopher who told everyone else to pick up trash and throw it away, reguardless of whether he did it or not. He had a greater understanding that the streets would be clean or cleaner if others did it.

Are you per chance referring to Hippocrates, the founding father of medicine and the greatest physician of his time? He developed the Oath of Medical conduct which medical students to this day adhere to; the Hippocratic Oath. He was a phenominal man.
Old 06-28-03   #5
Jasen
Repent my children

Jasen is on a distinguished road
Credits: 6,757
Quote:
Originally posted by NMaries
Okay, what if it backfires though. Here they put all this trust in you only to be let down. Do you do anything about it?
I don't usually worry about it that much. But then I only really give advice if someone asks me, or if I know that my information is correct and helpful.
Besides, you don't tell people what they should do. You merely give your opinion... they still have to make the choice themselves. And if it's something extremely important and you don't feel comfortable "helping" them decide, then don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-03   #6
NMaries

Ah. Well I guess this thread is done.
Old 06-30-03   #7
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
done what?

"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 07-03-03   #8
NMaries

Well, there is no real reason for giving advise. It just makes people feel better about themselves, so I guess there is no arguement.