Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page When is a goth not a goth?

Old 06-26-03   #1
druidess
Martyred For A Mortal Sin

druidess
Credits: 14,282
When is a goth not a goth?

Is a goth really gothic when not in public? I mean, do goths embody their gothiness when they are chilling at home in their wrinkled tees and boxers, or do they go the distance by wearing the facecake and vinyls even in solitude? I suppose my outlook on life, taste in music and art ,etc. lends itself to the gothic persona, but I tend to see goth as more of an appearance thing. I mean I may be goth at heart, but if I'm not all "gothed" out in velvet and chains then I don't really feel the goth vibe. Appearances can be deceiving, waitress by day; goth by night.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03   #2
yorrick
Brat-prince

yorrick is on a distinguished road
Credits: 9,632
interesting point,

its hard to keep up the 'look' at my school. we have a nuoiform code of navey pants and blue shirts. i can't realy show up in my tight black jeans new rock boots and priest coat. so i have to be subtle about it, a few acessories a here and there. but your rightit is hard to 'feel' goth when i'm wearing my grey track pants and ratty old blue jumper because I'm just to sick to leave my house.

i dunno
Old 06-27-03   #3
NMaries

Re: When is a goth not a goth?

Quote:
Originally posted by druidess
Is a goth really gothic when not in public? I mean, do goths embody their gothiness when they are chilling at home in their wrinkled tees and boxers, or do they go the distance by wearing the facecake and vinyls even in solitude? I suppose my outlook on life, taste in music and art ,etc. lends itself to the gothic persona, but I tend to see goth as more of an appearance thing. I mean I may be goth at heart, but if I'm not all "gothed" out in velvet and chains then I don't really feel the goth vibe. Appearances can be deceiving, waitress by day; goth by night.
You need to get a firmer grip on reality. Goths are still people. They once and awhile feel happy. It is a normal reaction to just not having to deal with a whole bunch of bullshit for awhile.
Old 06-28-03   #4
druidess
Martyred For A Mortal Sin

druidess
Credits: 14,282
Re: Re: When is a goth not a goth?

Quote:
Originally posted by NMaries
You need to get a firmer grip on reality. Goths are still people. They once and awhile feel happy. It is a normal reaction to just not having to deal with a whole bunch of bullshit for awhile.
Did I say anything about goths being un happy? I was asking about how one feels when not in the"skin" they choose to express themselves.

As for getting a firmer grip on reality, my doc said the same thing but thanks for your acute perception of my disillusion.
Old 06-28-03   #5
NMaries

Okay then a Gothic is still a Gotic no matter where, what or who they are doing.
Old 07-08-03   #6
pseudogoth dash
question everything

pseudogoth dash is on a distinguished road
Credits: 41,972
yeah, it's like saying is a christian still a christian when they take off the crucifix or is a skater still a skater when he puts his board away.

and if you stop being goth when you take your clubbing clothes off then you're probably not realllly goth are you?
Old 07-08-03   #7
dk123
Lost Soul

dk123 will become famous soon enoughdk123 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 262,974
at this precice moment, im wearing a new zealand rugby shirt, and some criminal damage baggy jeans. i wear the top because its the first clean thing i found, and the jeans, as they're airy and comfortable. i still feel goth. even though i may not look it. to many people, i would not look it most of the time, as i rarely bother to put on foundation and shadow and lips. whereas i do wear black shirts, silver jewelery, knee length boots with platformed soles, black jeans, and a floor length customised pleated frock coat with purple velvet additions, almost all the time, i do not as i feel i do not need to wear make up. at this moment i do not even own any foundation and fuck knows where i threw my pencil. but in spirit, outlook, attitude and self, i am what i am. what i am, seems to be categorised as goth. if clothing be the man, then i do not know what i am at this moment. baggy trousers, all blacks top, purple spiked hair, black nails and an angry look, i dont even stop being goth when i play drums in a punk band, or work in the shop. (computer shop/internet/network/gaming cafe)

if the question is am i ever not goth, then the answer is no. if the question is do i ever not feel goth, the answer is no. if the question is do i ever not look goth, the answer is sometimes. if the question is do these make me not goth, the answer is, no.
Old 07-08-03   #8
NMaries

Quote:
Originally posted by Tozzy
if the question is do these make me not goth, the answer is, no.
Look, a double negetive.

Old 07-08-03   #9
thefinalw0rd
SaxophoniusExtraordinaire

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
thefinalw0rd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 138,566
Nope, it wasn't. It isn't a double negative if it is a sentence in two parts...that sentence had two clauses, with a negative in each...so therefore it wasn't a double negative.

By the way, was that the only useful thing you had to say?

Anyway, Tozzy, I know what you mean. I'm sitting here in a baseball team shirt, gray shorts, and a pair of Vans...but that doesn't mean anything about myself as a person (except that I like that baseball team...). Too much importance is put on clothing...in fact, most of the people who view clothing as important to maintaining themselves within a subculture are just trying to imitate anyway.
Old 08-10-03   #10
veinglory
Embracer Of The Dark

veinglory
Credits: 8,108
The gothic tradition is about romanticism, not mascara...
Old 08-10-03   #11
Blind Pugh
Red Herring.

Blind Pugh is on a distinguished road
Credits: 81,071
Really??

I thought the Goths were about barbarism & sacking cities!!

Dammit!

*Goes back to the history books*
Old 08-10-03   #12
Lillith

If your interpretation of "Goth" only extends to the local club and your weekend black gear then I would have to say that you (generic, not geared at anyone specific) are what is commonly known as the "Weekend wannabe-goff". "Goth" as a notion of lifestyle is exactly that= A Lifestyle. This encompasses your entire life. There isn't a proverbial hat you put on that says: I am now goth. And when you take it off it no longer applies. But given the T-shirt and boxers reference I have to say, everything I own is shaped and coloured in the colours I would wear out. In other words, I don't have "outdoors" clothing consisting of black etc. and indoors away from prying eyes, pink and white and lime green. I would get physically ill I am sure, having to sleep or do anything in lime green. Anyone who sits at home dressed in Latex and corsetry just to eventually do the dishes is really rather bizarre. But what we wear at home, even though comfortable, is not so vastly different from what we wear out. Make-up? Well now that is optional isn't it. Even straight housewife types wear make-up from the moment they wake up.

Last edited by Lillith; 08-10-03 at 19:40.
Old 08-10-03   #13
Black_Thrym
Too...Much...Mercury...

Black_Thrym is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 7,395
The descriptions for being gothic are so vague nowadays I think they apply to anyone...According to some websites it's like "Anyone one and/or thing that likes the darker side of things...Or not, it really depends...Or not, see, that depending part about depending? Well that really depends too...." It's starting to get a little silly...Just say 'Anyone who calls themselves a goth is a goth'. Done.
Old 08-10-03   #14
KuTiE4EvAh
New Blood

KuTiE4EvAh
Credits: 280
ok ppl so i've been reading some of ur messages n being goth is Just being goth it doesnt matter what clothes u wear or what make-up is on ur face its all about the attitude u have and how ppl percieve u as being. It might not seem like it but ppl will notice that u are different even if u aren't dressed up and made up, they will notice u "goth" because of ur essence and the way u carry urself n how u interact (or not interact lolz) with the ppl surrounding u (that is if there r any) *wink wink*
Old 08-10-03   #15
Lunatic
06/07/04 -- Hails Eternal

Lunatic
Credits: 22,700
Yeah; like me, for instance. If I punch you in the mouth, it's probably because you're "goth at heart".
In the sky stilled my flame.

For the ones who stood me near,
And you few who were me dear,
I ask of thee to have no doubts and no fears.

For when the great clouds fill the air,
And the thunder roars from O, so far away up in the sky,
Then for sure you will know that I have reached the joyous halls up high.
Old 08-10-03   #16
KuTiE4EvAh
New Blood

KuTiE4EvAh
Credits: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic
Yeah; like me, for instance. If I punch you in the mouth, it's probably because you're "goth at heart".
Ok so what? i dont get it what did u Just say umm....yea neway i have come across a lot of messages posted n uhh i can tell that most ppl do not have the slightest idea what they are talkin about now u? uhh wld u like to probably elaborate on ur comment i am goth n i know this r u?
Old 08-11-03   #17
Lunatic

Lunatic
Quote:
yea neway i have come across a lot of messages posted n uhh i can tell that most ppl do not have the slightest idea what they are talkin about now u?
HAHAHAHA.

Quote:
uhh wld u like to probably elaborate on ur comment i am goth n i know this r u?
No. I hate goths. Hence the mouth-punching.

Old 08-11-03   #18
PSYKO
I'll Fuckin' Kill You

PSYKO
Credits: 18,124
tell me lunatic, why do you hate goths?
Old 08-11-03   #19
Lillith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYKO
tell me lunatic, why do you hate goths?

Who cares?!
Old 08-11-03   #20
Lunatic

Lunatic
It could have something to do with the rampant, wretchedly unfunny parody of Intel logos.