Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Birth Control

Old 06-21-03   #1
Clashing_Enigma
Wonder Woman

Clashing_Enigma
Credits: 5,229
Birth Control

Thank ya'll for checking out my thread.

I was on Depo-Provara for almost four years. In February I decided that I have had enough of menopause & that I was ready to be a normal premenopausal woman.(I am 25)

For those who don't know, Depo- Provara is a shot for birthcontrol. The doctor gives you a shot every three months. The shot contains synthetic Progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that we ladies naturally produce all the time but in high levels when we are pregnant. The shot has quite a few side effects. This is what I have been goring through for the past four months. When you have been on Depo for a while, you no longer have a period or cramping. OTOH, when you stop getting the shot, you bleed nonstop! Not to mention, your hormones are trying to balance out during that time. When you have high progesterone levels, your estrogen levels are lower & when you decrease the progesterone & your body starts producing higher levels of estrogen again, lets just say it can be difficult to function mentally at times.

In April-May, I started to get slightly regular periods, bleed for 1 week, stop for a week, start bleeding again the following week. I had asked my doctor about going on the pill to help me get regular again & he gave me Ovcon. It has a low level of estrogen. I have been on it for 2 weeks on sunday & I haven't stopped bleeding. The only reason I started taking the damn things were so I could be normal & bleed 3-4 days once a month.

Has anyone ever had the same effect from birthcontrol pills? Please tell me how long it took you before your body normalized. I need to know how many boxes of pads & tampons I need to buy for next month.
Old 06-21-03   #2
Sybs
Unfolding

Sybs is on a distinguished road
Credits: 202,466
Usually it takes 3-4 cycles before you go back to normal..
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-03   #3
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
never trust something that bleeds for a week and doesnt die...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 06-21-03   #4
Lillith

It's utterly individual. All contraceptives fuck with your body's natural functioning, and the "shot" is probably the worst. A friend of mine was on Depo for 5 years, when she went off it she bled non-stop (a few days relief here and there) for more than 3 months. By the time she stopped getting shots her ovaries had shrunken to the size of raisins.
It's impossible to say how long you are going to be bleeding for, but I would say try to suppliment your diet with natural hormone producing foods. Try eating liquorices, which stimulates natural production of progesterone, and soya, which stimulates estrogen. I can look up to see which other food would help with evening out your hormone imbalance. I hope the adjusting doesn't take too long.
Old 06-22-03   #5
Clashing_Enigma
Wonder Woman

Clashing_Enigma
Quote:
Originally posted by errantrogue
never trust something that bleeds for a week and doesnt die...
You know what errantrogue, that is usually my policy but when you are the one that is doing the bleeding for a week you tend to not trust other people.

Thank you Lillith!
I had no idea that liquorices were hormone stimulates! Are you a nutritionalist during normal business hours? If you don't mind looking for some other hormone stimulating foods for me, I sure would appreciate it.

My new goal in life is to warn other women about Depo. It has totally fucked up my world.
Old 06-22-03   #6
Lillith

Quote:
Originally posted by Clashing_Enigma
Thank you Lillith!
I had no idea that liquorices were hormone stimulates! Are you a nutritionalist during normal business hours? If you don't mind looking for some other hormone stimulating foods for me, I sure would appreciate it.

My new goal in life is to warn other women about Depo. It has totally fucked up my world.

You're welcome! And yes "Nutrition" did form part of my studies, along with Pathology and Anatomy.

Liquorices is a wonderful source of natural forming hormones indeed, though try to get only pure liquorices. To balance the intake of it, increase your potassium intake, which you will freely find in bananas for instance.

Very little research has gone into finding harmless and natural means of contraception, apart from condoms. I don't think many people realize that the chemicals used in contraception are made from pregnant mare urine. Artificial estrogen is an indestructible chemical, and this gets passed by women and ends up going back into the recycled water that people drink. No amount of "recycling" though can destroy this artificial hormone.

Ok now for a list of things that could make life easier for you post Depro:

Try to get a Vitamin B supplement, especially B12.
Passion Flower helps assist female organs' natural functioning, if you can find a liquid extract, use as per directions!
Cucumbers!! If you like the taste, indulge as much as you can, it also stimulates female hormone production.
Dong quai (Chinese herb usually in tincture form) is the female equivalent of Ginseng, which women shouldn't take, as it stimulates male hormone production. It has a very soothing and healing effect on the uterus.
Dandelion is also excellent and soothing to all female organs, try and get the tea and make several cups a day.
Fennel is an excellent hormone producing herb too, try and eat fresh in salads or however you can!
Sarsaparilla, which is a herb used in many forms, promotes progesterone, though it also promotes the male hormone testosterone, so I'm not too sure about this one. Though the benefits are incredible. If you have ongoing suffering you may wish to check out this cream: http://www.efasteam2000.com/progesterone.asp
While you're trying to restore your hormonal balance try to cut out products made from white flours, refined sugar and processed foods. Supplement the sugar with honey!

I hope for now this will help you...

Last edited by Lillith; 06-25-03 at 20:01.
Old 06-23-03   #7
SWITCHBLADE666
jack's loving whore

SWITCHBLADE666 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 27,587
shit i had no idea that little shot could wreak such havoc!

well i barely got my first depo shot last month and its already fucked me up. i ve been ont he once a month shot too and it did the same to me. now tell me if this is normal. you know how youre supposed to bleed for like two weeks after you get the first shot? well i didnt, i finished my period normally. but then like 5 days afterwards i started to get what looked like the end of my period and i thought ok maybe it will just go away. Well NO it didnt go away, i still see that. now for you girls, you know what it looks like when youre on your last days, it doesnt look that red anymore. well thats what i have, and its the same thing that happened with the other shot too.

so is that normal, and if i dotn get the depo shot on my next visit, am i gonna have problems too or is that just when youve been using it for years?

menstrually miserable,

Switchblade
Old 06-23-03   #8
Lillith

Well I don't see how anyone can consider bleeding for two weeks as normal. I am personally really very opposed to contraception and I am astounded at the fact that in the year 2003 they have yet to come up with comfortable and completely safe contraception for women. The egregious effects these methods have on a woman's entire body is lasting, hormones affect absolutely everything, its not just localized to keeping your period regular. I honestly cannot say that what you are experiencing is normal or not, as I am not familiar with the effects after just starting the shots. Though, I can say that each woman's body is unique and because of that I would say that each woman may react differently to whichever form of contraception you do choose. I would advise that you contact your doctor immediately and ask him/her. That would be the safest thing to do. Perhaps also ask for recommendations as far as alternative means are concerned, if you are considering going off Depo. Though I would suggest if you were to do that, give your body some relief before you start taking any artificial hormones again. Use condoms!
Old 06-25-03   #9
SWITCHBLADE666
jack's loving whore

wonder if anyone has tried the patch yet...

thanks for the advice lillith, i think i will call my gyno ASAP. although it does look like its stopped. but whats to say it wont start again right? so you stop getting your period when you re on the depo?
Old 06-25-03   #10
Lillith

No problem, and yes you do stop getting your period, hence why when you go off it your body is in such a state of shock and in need to cleanse the uterus that you may end up bleeding for a long period of time afterwards.
Old 06-25-03   #11
Shattered Dream
Rev up your Harley

Shattered Dream will become famous soon enough
Credits: 46,876
Awesome posts, Lilith! Some of the best i've read in ages. Very informative. I never knew ANY of this stuff. I can't believe you studied Pathology and Anatomy!

I've never taken any form of contraceptive, but recently was thinking about it. I did go to the doctors once asking about the pill and SHE looked disgusted at me and wouldn't prescribe it. Actually said, "can't you tell your boyfriend to use condoms?" Sex wasn't even the reason why! I just wanted something for my pmt, which i get reallly terribly. I get mood swings, become violent and punch/kick my bf.
Old 06-25-03   #12
SWITCHBLADE666
jack's loving whore

fucking bitch, she had no business making that comment. i wouldve so told her off. i mean what if youre allergic to latex?
and thats not even the point, the point is its really not her fucking business what your preference is or why? ggrrrrrrrr that pisses me off!

and you didnt say anything?

oh and yea lilith really sounds what shes talking about, thats the only reason i posted up my concerns and looked to her for some answers.
i bet not even my gyno could put it to me like that in those words.

so lillith, when you get the depo for the first time, its not normal to bleed for a week or two? cuz my gyno has always told me that.
Old 06-25-03   #13
SWITCHBLADE666
jack's loving whore

i didnt though...
Old 06-25-03   #14
Lillith

Quote:
Originally posted by Shattered Dream
Awesome posts, Lilith! Some of the best i've read in ages. Very informative. I never knew ANY of this stuff. I can't believe you studied Pathology and Anatomy!

I just wanted something for my pmt, which i get reallly terribly. I get mood swings, become violent and punch/kick my bf.
Thanks Shattered dear! I'm happy to know some of it was informative... Why can't you believe I studied that?!

As for PMT/S yes unfortunately that is the main reason women go on the pill. To regulate their periods and minimize the entire natural experience. However, the means in which the pill goes about doing this is hardly what I would call beneficial to one's health. The problem is that the Medical Industry is very quick to simply prescribe drugs before even bothering to look at natural remedies and alternative treatments. I am by no means negating the wonder of Medicine and the use of it scientifically, I am however of mind that you cannot just treat a symptom and ignore the cause. And that is mostly what Modern Medicine is about.

The first thing I would suggest you look at is your diet. Honestly, so many chronic symptoms today can be allieviated by simply adjusting one's diet!

Also some wise words from my Chinese Accupuncturist: Never eat or drink anything cold a week before your period, and always make sure your feet are kept warm. It sounds funny perhaps, but I can assure you it does help if one suffers from cramping.

What usually also contributes to these extreme symptoms before ones period is a lack of progesterone and an estrogen dominance. Which is why, when in extreme cases one would advise that the person considers a natural progesterone cream, in addition to looking at the diet in general.

Refined flour products and sugars should be limited and caffeine usually worsens the symptoms! Magnesium levels are usually very low during one's period so starting on a course of Magnesium is advisable. But remember, when you do take this, take a calcium supplement too, it aids digestion and absorption of the Magnesium. I would also say try and get a Total Vitamin B complex, this usually helps alieve PMS symptoms. I would also suggest cutting down on dairy products, specifically milk!

"Toxins" to avoid: (Collected from the net, for your reading!)

MSG http://www.curezone.com/foods/msg.asp

These ALWAYS contain MSG:

Glutamate Textured protein
Monosodium glutamate Hydrolyzed protein
Monopotassium glutamate (any protein that is hydrolyzed)
Glutamic acid Yeast extract
Calcium caseinate Yeast food
Sodium caseinate Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin Yeast nutrient

These very OFTEN contain MSG:

Malt extract Flavors(s) & Flavoring(s)
Malt flavoring Natural flavor(s) & flavoring(s)
Barley malt Natural pork flavoring
Bouillon Natural beef flavoring
Stock Natural chicken flavoring
Broth Seasonings (the word "seasonings")
Carrageenan Soy sauce
Maltodextrin Soy sauce extract
Whey protein Soy protein
Whey protein isolate Soy protein isolate
Whey protein concentrate Soy protein concentrate
Pectin anything Protein fortified
anything Enzyme modified

http://www.curezone.com/foods/saltpage.asp
Refined salt (Table Salt) is 99.9% NaCl (sodium-chloride), (chemical as clean as Heroin or White Sugar) . It almost always contain additives, like 0.01% of Potassium-Iodide (added to the salt to avoid Iodine deficiency disease of thyroid gland), Sugar (added to stabilize Iodine and as anti-caking chemical), Aluminum silicate.

Thanks to Potassium-Iodide, we now have an epidemy of Hyperthyroidism.

http://www.curezone.com/foods/milk.asp

Artificial sweetners: http://www.curezone.com/foods/aspartame.asp
Aspartame sugar substitutes cause worrying symptoms from memory loss to brain tumours. But despite US FDA approval as a 'safe' food additive, aspartame is one of the most dangerous substances ever to be foisted upon an unsuspecting public.

Margarine and other hydrogenated fats
Chlorinated Water
Antibiotics
ASPARTAME
MSG - Mono Sodium Glutamate
Pesticides
CARCINOGENS
Hormones - MILK
Food additives
Sugar , honey , chocolate and other concentrated sweeteners
Refined oils
Baking powder
Hard and dry bovine milk cheese
Junk foods (hamburgers, pizza, hotdog, nachos, …)
Fried, smoked, grilled foods

Soft drinks - Coca Cola, Pepsi, Soda pop
Alcohol drinks
Fruits and nuts that are not growing in the same climatic area as the one you are living in now
Coffee

Needless to say that is an extensive list and would perhaps prove difficult if not completely impossible at most times, yet if you can limit the intake of these things at the very least, I would say that it would go a long way to helping with your symptoms!

And we all know that during those pre-period days we can crave sugar, intensely! A nice alternative is usually Carob, with fructose. Or "Stevia".... http://www.curezone.com/foods/stevia.htm

Also Chamomile tea is great as a soother on the nerves, as is Valerian, here you can find Valerian in tablet form or in the form of tea.
Old 06-25-03   #15
Lillith

Quote:
Originally posted by SWITCHBLADE666

so lillith, when you get the depo for the first time, its not normal to bleed for a week or two? cuz my gyno has always told me that.

I did some research on Depo-Provera so I can attempt to answer your question. I have to say that I didn't find anything specific enough to denote that either bleeding or not is normal. It just suggests that one's period may be irregular. I suppose certain questions like the following may help to shed some light: How was your cycle before you went onto Depo? How long did your period last for usually? How long after your last period did you go for your first shot?

Information:
Depo Provera is a hormone injection that lasts for 3 months to prevent pregnancy. The injection has synthetic progesterone and no estrogen. It is usually given in the arm or rear, delivering a high level of progesterone into the body. Depo Provera stops the ovaries from releasing eggs. It thickens the cervical mucus and changes the uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to enter or survive in the uterus. These changes prevent fertilization. It requires a clinic appointment every 3 months. Depo Provera is 99.7% effective as birth control. It does not protect against reproductive tract infections, including HIV/AIDS.
http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm

Allergy
While it is rare, some women are allergic to Depo-Provera.

Cancer Risk
There is no increased overall risk for ovarian, breast, uterine, cervical, or liver cancer with this method of birth control. However, there is a slight increased risk of breast cancer in women under 35 who had their first exposure to the hormone in the last four to five years.

Other Risks
This method is considered very safe, but there are some risks. The hormone used in the shot may affect your body’s ability to metabolize cholesterol. This can increase your risk of heart disease. Also, hormone-based methods of birth control may increase your risk of blood clots or stroke. There are other risks listed in the package insert that you should read carefully.

After the last shot of Depo Provera, it can take over 6 months for the drug to leave the body. Side effects may linger until the drug is completely gone.

Here is a site that tells the story of side effects, written by a woman who suffered immensely after going on Depo. She lists the symptoms and after-effects of being on the shot. It also contains other "horror stories".
http://www.abcinternetmarketing.com/depo-provera/

http://www.managingcontraception.com...s/ch-depo.html
http://www.helioshealth.com/birth_co...overa/use.html

"Many clinics recommend that you use a backup method of birth control for a week after your first shot. Among typical couples who initiate use of Depo-Provera, about 3 in 1000 will experience an accidental pregnancy in the first year. Complete information about this contraceptive is available from your clinician or from the package insert that is provided when you are given Depo-Provera injections." http://www.emory.edu/WHSC/MED/FAMPLAN/depo.html

Last edited by Lillith; 06-25-03 at 21:32.
Old 06-26-03   #16
SWITCHBLADE666
jack's loving whore

i get it every 26-28 days, lasts about 5 days and my gyno said the depo is to be given on the third day of your period so thats when i got mine. btu still she said its normal to bleed for like two weeks after the first time you get depo.

thanks for the links chick, they were very informative. the horror stories suck but should i really be that paranoid about it? i m sure some women have no horror stories about it. everything comes with side effects, but like you said all our bodies are different, so not all of us are gonna have serious probs right?
i wish there was a way i could know if i m gonna be one of those ahead of time so i could know whether to keep using it or not.
thanks again chick, you ve helped me understand this depo thing alot better than my gyno did.
Old 06-27-03   #17
Shattered Dream
Rev up your Harley

Quote:
Originally posted by SWITCHBLADE666
fucking bitch, she had no business making that comment. i wouldve so told her off. i mean what if youre allergic to latex?
and thats not even the point, the point is its really not her fucking business what your preference is or why? ggrrrrrrrr that pisses me off!

and you didnt say anything?
I was really shocked, I never expected a female doctor to say that! I just left. Heh.
Old 06-27-03   #18
Shattered Dream
Rev up your Harley

Quote:
Originally posted by Lillith
Thanks Shattered dear! I'm happy to know some of it was informative... Why can't you believe I studied that?!
hehe. You just didn't strike me as the type that would be interested in it, but that's really cool that you do.

Thank you very much for the information.
Old 06-27-03   #19
SWITCHBLADE666
jack's loving whore

Quote:
Originally posted by Shattered Dream
I was really shocked, I never expected a female doctor to say that! I just left. Heh.
oh well, a missed opportunity to tell off a doctor with a good reason...i always look for those. they think they know everything sometimes and they piss me off.

yea no shit i wouldnt've expected that comment from a chick doctor, but then again i think i d expect it less from a male. thats just not something you say. cuz like i said its nobodys fucking business.

he, he, you should go back to her and ask her for the pills again and if she comments something like that again you should just punch her in the face.
Old 06-30-03   #20
Clashing_Enigma
Wonder Woman

Clashing_Enigma
Sorry I haven't posted this week. First of all Lillith THANK YOU! You Rock! I have printed out your replies for my next grocery/nutrional store visit. I have some progesterone cream from Arbonne. I tried using it right when I got off the shot. I've taken a 2 month break from it but I will give it a second chance next month. Oh yeah 3 weeks into my birthcontrol pills Ovacon now, I stopped bleeding two days ago. Wild huh? I think when I finish up this week's, I will stop using them. They are only samples that the doctor gave me. So I can call him & tell him that I didn't like them. Trust me I didn't. I hate taking pills every single day at the exact same time.Hum maybe that is why I bled for three weeks. No matter I will finish out the final week & not start next months pills.

Switchblade. When I started depo it was 6 weeks after I had my georgous daughter. I had just finished up the 4 week normal bleeding that all women's bodies go through after having a child. Day 14 after having the shot I started bleeding again(this time from the shot) & didn't stop for 2 weeks. Other women that have never had kids have also told me that they bled for 2 weeks. So it is normal if you want to call it that. I was on the 90 day depo shot. Every three months I would visit my doctor & get the shot. Nine months after the first injection I stopped having what I call the Annoying spots. (barely messup a pad, too dry for a tampon.) I would get them for a week just before my next shot was due. If you are getting the monthly thing, I am not sure of the "normality" of bleeding 2 weeks. I am just speaking from personal experience.
I am just now realizing that not bleeding/bleeding abnormally is a bad thing no matter how good it may sound. I am hoping that other women don't make the same mistake. Do not take your body for granted, it holds who you are.
Thanks everyone for posting!

Last edited by Clashing_Enigma; 06-30-03 at 01:06.