Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Reminisce about the 1970's.

Old 05-27-03   #1
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Sixgun_Symphony is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 280,566
Reminisce about the 1970's.

Anyone over 30yo will remember something about the 1970's.

As kids we had Saturday morning cartoons and Schoolhouse Rock. I remember getting up at 7am to pour myself a bowl of cold cereal and milk, watching Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner. Sid & Marty Krofft put out some great shows like "H.R. Pufnstuf".

We had BigWheels and The Green Machine as young children.

My first bicycle had the banana seat and apehanger handlebars, then the BMX bicycles came out in '77 or so and we used to do alot of the trail riding with those. We did not have the urban sprawl that we have now.

Most of us kids wore denim, usually "Tuffskin" jeans from Sears, but we went to the designer jeans when about 11 or 12yo.

I was a huge fan of the rock band KISS when I was 11yo. Everyone in my age group had the motto... "Disco sucks! Long Live Rock!" Bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, ZZ Top, and AC/DC was the kind of music that I remember most as 70's music. The 70s were the decade of the Outlaws (Willie, Waylon, Johnny, Kris) in country. Blondie was hot, even if she was a bit on the Disco side of the fence. Pat Benatar was another great diva.

TV shows were Hawaii Five-0, Starsky & Hutch (remember Huggy Bear?), Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, and The Dukes of Hazzard (who could ever forget Daisy Duke in those short shorts? ).

Soda cans, and beer cans, had pull off tabs. We put them back into the can, and then drank. No 2 liter plastic bottles, but there were half-gallon glass soda bottles.

Cars were big and fast back then. We had long lines at the gas station because of the energy crisis. The gas stations were full service back then too.

Anyway, what do you remember from the 1970's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 05-28-03 at 00:31.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-03   #2
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Location: at home getting hammered while shes out getting nailed
Dirge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,744
WOW hey Six Gun check it out, I had an official issue, CHiPs big wheel!!! as well as a KISS lunch box and all the original Star Wars figures( do you know how much you can get for a vinyl cape Jawa today?) I am actually still a proud member of the KISS army to this day! Do you remember the show SOLID GOLD? or who could ever forget the best show of the 70's "BattleStar Galactica"?
Old 05-30-03   #3
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Oh jeez, I had forgotted about the show CHiPs until you mentioned it. Yea, I remember now. Fun show, I think it lasted into the early 80's.

The movie Star Wars was really a turning point in cinema too. It was a big leap in special effects and science fiction films. It was a point of honor to say that you saw it 4 or more times then. That was back before VCR's and DVD.

I do remember the show Solid Gold, mostly the dancers. Battle Star Galatica was a great show, I also liked some of the Buck Rogers episodes too.

Do you remember WKRP in Cincinnati? Taxi? How about the show Soap?

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 05-30-03 at 03:08.
Old 05-30-03   #4
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Location: at home getting hammered while shes out getting nailed
Dirge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,744
Oh yeah Loni Anderson!!!! and Taxi I still watch reruns ! is your Avatar taken from the Deadlands RPG/CCG?
Old 06-01-03   #5
velvet
scrumptious

velvet is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,361
buncha old farts!
Old 06-02-03   #6
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirge
Oh yeah Loni Anderson!!!! and Taxi I still watch reruns ! is your Avatar taken from the Deadlands RPG/CCG?

Yup! I love RPG's. I started playing Dungeons & Dragons in the Fall of 1982 just before turning 15yo.

Loni Anderson was hot! So was Linda Carter who played Wonder Woman. Farah Fawcett was very beautiful, I liked the other ladies on Charlie's Angels too. Catherine Bach played Daisy Duke, who looked really good in them Daisy Duke shorts.

Speaking of Daisy Duke, I remember that cut-offs were popular in the summer months in the 70's. I don't really see cut-offs being worn anymore.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 06-02-03 at 04:38.
Old 06-03-03   #7
snapper1313
among the wolves

snapper1313
Credits: 57,836
alright... KISS, Black Sabbath, Foghat, Santana, CCR, BTO, Zepplin, Rush....
Classic, and soo sweet...

embarrassment here... Bay City Roller and Elton John Fan.... but give me a break... I wasn't into dressing in the style...
Wrangler jeans, cutoffs, tube tops, halter tops, clogs(made the shoes in wood and leather shop at school) worn with toe socks... Denim Jackets, studded and chained... yeah I was a badass...

TV shows.... Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Laugh-IN, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, I Love Lucy...

My first motorcycle, my first kiss, my first rumble....
Gods.. I had a lot of firsts in the 70's...lol
My Devotion is a garden ever blooming,
Beware the Daggered Thorns of Betrayal.

2001/DMA
Old 06-04-03   #8
Hells_Revenge
Drifting.....

Hells_Revenge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 128,808
I remember the song "Wild Fire" It was a friends favorite song. She was killed in a car crash in the late 70's

I remember "Jimmy Carter" was president.
I also remember the cheesy polyester clothing. YuK!!

The Brady Bunch, Gilligans Island and I Dream Of Jeanie after school.

My folks listening to CCR cranked up loud ...

I also remember being some what nerdy too.....but I grew out of it, at least I think I did??

Oh yea and the really big chunky shoes with the super think soles....and the leather clogs.

Drinking pepsi out of the big 16 ounce bottles!

Oh yea, I'm older than dirt and I still remember ...yay for me!
Old 06-04-03   #9
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by snapper1313
Wrangler jeans, cutoffs, tube tops, halter tops, clogs(made the shoes in wood and leather shop at school) worn with toe socks... Denim Jackets, studded and chained... yeah I was a badass...
Oh yea! I do recall tube tops...

I also recall the denim jackets with studs too. I am sure you remember black lights and black light posters. Incense was popular and I recall every house had ashtrays on the coffee table and end tables as everybody smoked.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 06-04-03 at 03:21.
Old 06-04-03   #10
snapper1313
among the wolves

snapper1313
Credits: 57,836
Quote:
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
Oh yea! I do recall tube tops...

I also recall the denim jackets with studs too. I am sure you remember black lights and black light posters. Incense was popular and I recall every house had ashtrays on the coffee table and end tables as everybody smoked.
LOL.. I really felt old when my son asked for a black light for his birthday. He found some of my old posters in the attic....
had to..um... weed through what he could have.
Still have incenses all around my place. Even have my optic fiber lamps and lava lamps.
(altho the kids asked for those too)

How a bout VW's painted as Ladybugs, frogs, or with huge flowers? Custom Pinstriping, fuzzy dice, Gremlins, Pintos, Bumper stickers,like: don't come a knockin if the van is a rockin....
Biker Gangs that weren't lawyers and business men during the week...?
The original Smiley, County and State Fairs that were actually safe to walk around withOUT your folks,

STREAKERS!
(started in the 70's)

Sue..you ain't older than dirt....
and I luv ya, Girl! We run our kids ragged , hey?
Old 06-05-03   #11
Hells_Revenge
Drifting.....

Hells_Revenge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 128,808
Man I miss DF, with all the runnin around I've been doing I barely get time to go online.

I loved the seventies.....cool cars, everyone wore pot leaves in their hair or had them drawn on themselves and their belongings.
I remember the mushroom shaped foot stools, shag carpeting...and shag haircuts. Sonny & Cher! The clothing from the 70's has come back into style ...I dont know how many times?? and... Gee your hair smells teriffic....Shampoo

So is there going to be a 40 something board anytime soon??
Cuz some of us 30-ish people dont have many years left to hang in the 30 something board. * cries *
Old 06-05-03   #12
velvet
scrumptious

most of the music i listen to was made in the 70's...

mhmm
Old 06-06-03   #13
Mia~ow
Dark Misanthrope

Mia~ow will become famous soon enoughMia~ow will become famous soon enough
Credits: -2,625
I guess I'm an 'in-betweener' I don't remember the 70's much, but the music was cool!

I hope to god they make a 70's board! By then we will be internet wizards!!!
Old 06-06-03   #14
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

I recall the custom vans that were popular in the 70's.

Tinted windows, airbrushed murals, killer stereo systems, wet bars, and even waterbeds.

VW Bugs? Oh yea. The custom jobs I remember were the dune buggies. Don't see those anymore.

I remember that the Pintos had a reputation for exploding on impact. Those ugly things I don't miss.

I remember the muscle cars that were made before the '73 enviromental laws, they were still common into the mid 1980's. The '71 Hemi Cuda was awesome. I wish that congress would just allow Detroit to build the cars that Americans really want to drive.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 06-06-03 at 21:09.
Old 06-08-03   #15
wysiwyg
Moans in the Night

wysiwyg
Credits: 2,207
I remember listening to Led Zeppelin and Queen on WPLJ and Earth, Wind, and Fire on WBLS in NYC. Saturday morning cartoons, Welcome Back Carter, and Good Times. One of my neighbors had a Plymouth Superbird, all white with a 440. I was a car nut even then. Even white folks had afro's. Chopper bikes with the shifter in front of the seat and the ape hangar handle bars and sissy bars. I also remember hearing Rap in it's infancy and thinking it was crap.
Old 06-24-03   #16
Webgenie

Music and TV seem to be what sticks in the mind the most. Dark Shadows run was about over with, but that was my best reason to come home from school. Mod Squad was a pretty good show, and who could forget Gilligan?

Elton John and Carole King were the greatest, but there was so much more that I can't remember at my age There was this show on Saturdays that was like 2 hours of music, hosted by Kenny Rogers before he was really famous. Anyone remember the name of that?
Old 06-30-03   #17
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
There was this show on Saturdays that was like 2 hours of music, hosted by Kenny Rogers before he was really famous. Anyone remember the name of that?
I remember that Dolly Parton had a tv show in the 70's, but I can only remember that Kenny Rogers did a few made for tv movies as "The Gambler" in the 1980's.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 06-30-03 at 00:26.
Old 07-02-03   #18
Mia~ow
Dark Misanthrope

Mia~ow will become famous soon enoughMia~ow will become famous soon enough
Credits: -2,625
Subject: how life changes!!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us
who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because......

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the front passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle -
tasted
the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all.

No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went>outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and
there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live
stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was
unheard of.

They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!
Old 07-08-03   #19
Sixgun_Symphony
Darkness Incarnate

Quote:
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

The summer months were like that. We used to play in the woods all day. But the woods around here have been lost to urban sprawl since the late 1980's.

Old 07-08-03   #20
velvet
scrumptious

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
I remember the muscle cars that were made before the '73 enviromental laws, they were still common into the mid 1980's. The '71 Hemi Cuda was awesome. I wish that congress would just allow Detroit to build the cars that Americans really want to drive.

yea weLL how about the 1970 plymouth superbird? now thats kick ass