Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Gothicwear...... all sumed up into one thread...

Old 05-04-03   #1
One
Live. Love. Life. DIE!

One will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,916
Gothicwear...... all sumed up into one thread...

Some of the popular gothic style traits:

anything black (White or any dark colors like navy blue and deep red are also popular but less common.)

silver jewelry

pallor (This could be because some Goths want a sort of undead look; or they want to embody the Victorian aesthetic that says pale skin is a sign of nobility; or because tanning causes skin cancer. In general, Goths view paleness as much more aesthetically pleasing than being tan, whether or not they have a reason why.)

dyed hair (Black, very light bleached blonde, red, or purple are fairly common.)

black and white makeup -- white foundation, black lipstick, black eyeliner

thin, plucked eyebrows or shaved off and drawn in eyebrows

bondage and fetish fashion -- leather, PVC, latex, rubber, vinyl and bondage gear, corsets

crushed velvet or regular velvet

poet's shirts -- a few ruffles around the cuff, the collar, and the front (They are usually white.)

chokers -- a dog leash with spikes, a bondage collar, or a velvet ribbon tied around the neck

ankh (Egyptian symbol for everlasting life)

the Eye of Ra (also, Eye of Horus, an Egyptian symbol. The symbol's popularity with Goths is partly due to the fact that it is on the cover of the "Vision Thing" CD by The Sisters of Mercy.)

pentacle (The pentagram is a five pointed star -- a pagan symbol for fire, earth, air, water, spirit. The pentacle is basically a pentagram with a circle around it. These terms are often used synonymously. Since the pentacle is associated in some people's mind with Satansim, some Goths may wear a pentacle to shock people, or as a part of their Theatrical Satanism.)

wearing lingerie that shows (garters, teddy, bustier, slip, camisole)

opera-style capes or cloaks

opera length gloves, either satin or latex (shorter length gloves as well, usually vinyl)

crosses (Christian symbolism)

fishnet tights or shirts

black and white horizontal striped tights like the Wicked Witch of the West

chains (as a belt, necklace, part of the outfit, whatever)

spikes/studs (usually attached to a leather jacket or to a collar, belt or bracelets)

tattoos (depends on the person)

piercings (Usually not as excessive as punks, goths might have a few piercings, if any. Tongue, nose and nipple piercings seem most common. It depends on the person.)

pointy toed shoes, buckle boots, high heels, combat boots or Doc Martens

a short A-line haircut or ratted out, hairsprayed, chaotic hair, sometimes hair extensions

a leather jacket (often with designs painted on it), black trenchcoat, black vinyl raincoat-looking jacket, or velvet jacket
a box (A cross between a small purse and a lunchbox, usually black with silver hinges and a briefcase-like handle. They are usually decorated with band stickers. Guys and girls alike carry them.)

Some Goths tend to look like: Robert Smith (of The Cure) -- ratted up hair, smudged red lipstick, black makeup for eyeshadow; Siouxsie Sioux (of Siouxsie and the Banshees) -- short black ratted hair (or a sleek A-line haircut) and the makeup done very precisely with pointed angles; Death (the Sandman comic book character) -- designs drawn around the eyes, tousled black hair, always wearing an ankh; Eric Draven (character in the comic book and movie The Crow) -- white face with black vertical lines drawn above and below the eyes, black lipstick drawn extended past the edge of the lips in long smiley face sort of lines, black trenchcoat; Andrew Eldrich (of the Sisters of Mercy) -- always wearing sunglasses, short slick black hair, leather pants, a leather jacket with an open shirt; Bettie Page (1950's bondage pinup queen) -- long wavy black hair with short, curled-under bangs, very thin drawn in eyebrows, and dark red lipstick.
Vampire archetype -- Lestat or Louis from Anne Rice's novels The Vampire Lestat and Interview with the Vampire or a Dracula influenced look. The vampire archetype look also contains some commonalties with the vampire-free Victorian aesthetics: elaborately designed hair, ruffled shirts, long skirts, velvet, opera capes, corsets, vests. Punk archetype -- ripped tights, chains and spikes, a leather jacket, boots, ratted hair, defiant attitude. Tortured artist archetype -- a bohemian influence, wearing all black, maybe kinda beatnik, wearing sunglasses all the time, maybe a beret, thin, tired-looking, a notebook carried around at all times, can be seen reading alone in coffee shops. The tortured artist look may be a little more avant-garde, but it is not quite as clearly defined fashion-wise. It is made more by how someone acts than how they look.

For guys, some common Goth looks are:

A fishnet shirt and vinyl or leather pants with some sort of boots and other various accessories.

A white shirt (sometimes with the collar folded up to cover the neck), black pants, a black vest, boots or dress shoes.

Some of the guys will wear makeup, skirts, corsets or heels. It's not really meant to be cross-dressing because they are not actually trying to look like women. Gothic tends to be a very androgynous thing, where some of the straight guys like to look or dress feminine, either to challenge social gender barriers, to show that they have an open mind, or as just a fashion thing.

For girls, some common Goth looks are:

A cleavage-enhancing corset top with a long, flowing or tutu-like skirt.

A crushed velvet dress with either boots or heels.

A fishnet shirt with a black bra underneath, a bondage belt (or some other type) and either 1) a short vinyl skirt 2) a long velvet skirt tight leggings or stirrup pants usually made of vinyl or crushed velvet.

Fishnet stockings with a vinyl dress, bondage gear, high heels or heel boots.

see: "Getting Started" in Gothic forum

Last edited by One; 05-05-03 at 15:00.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03   #2
Sybs
Unfolding

Sybs is on a distinguished road
Credits: 202,466
And for lazy goths black pajamas
Old 05-06-03   #3
Catanyn
black market heart

Catanyn
Credits: 14,243
you forget that a very popular item of clothing is black vinyl tape. don't you just love sluts. i know i do.

my words babble on just like my mind
so unsorted and chaotic
poetry is no friend
no soft movement for me
but a release
for a girl who met a boy
she'd be better not to love
Old 05-06-03   #4
Jobe

You forgot daggers....

But hey what do I know, I'm not goth
Old 05-06-03   #5
One
Live. Love. Life. DIE!

Quote:
Originally posted by Catanyn
you forget that a very popular item of clothing is black vinyl tape. don't you just love sluts. i know i do.
ohh yes, as do i ...
Old 05-13-03   #6
shellmonster
Lurks in the Shadows

shellmonster
Credits: 6,724
er...lovely list you have there, but there more than just the circle around the star that makes the difference between pentagrams and pentacles. the most important one being that a pentagram ALWAYS points down. Christians associate this symbol with satanism, with the top two points representing the horns, the lower two points representing the ears, and the downward point representing the chin or beard of a goat, symbolic of satan.
the pentacle ALWAYS points up, and when Christianity was young, it was actually used for a short time to represent the five wounds of Christ - head, hands, and feet.
Purely symbolically, however, the five pointed star is simply representative of power, or protection.
MOST teenygoths end up wearing either of the symbols thinking that they look cool and are defying the norm, but more often than not the pentacle (most commonplace amongst goths) is found and worn by those of the goth community that actually study and/or practice witchraft or wicca, or any other pagan religion that uses the five pointed star as a major symbol of faith. as for the pentagram, it is more often found on headbangers and bikers, who are more likely of the mind to join The Church of Satan, Anton LaVeys' lovely hoax.
-shell-
Old 05-17-03   #7
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Location: at home getting hammered while shes out getting nailed
Dirge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,744
Hey what about those finger armour pokey thingeys! only prob with daggers tends to make the bouncer nervous
Old 06-03-03   #8
apostate
REDUNDANT

apostate
Credits: 17,310
Speaking as a headbanger who grew up mostly around bikers, I find the overgeneralization of the definitions of pentacle and pentagram, combined with the misrepresentation of who follows what a little odd.
First, most bikers are Protestant Christians. They may not worship in the way that most other people do, and may enjoy surrounding themselves in dark imagery, but do shy away from actual Satanism.
I'm not claiming my experience is the Be All End All here, but I have rarely come across any Goths or sub-genre of Goth that purported to be Wiccan. Most claim Satanism, and that of the LaVeyan persuasion. Perhaps most often is Paganism, the nice, generic homogenization of cultism that is amorphous enough to hide the fact the practitioner practices nothing.
Most headbangers that profess to Satanism shun LaVey. There are many who haven't scratched further than LaVey, and use it as their example, but these are largely of the previously mentioned Paganism type. They practice nothing and only use it to appear evil. Those who do profess to be Satanists generally either quote Crowley (admittedly not really any better) or take the lateral translation of self will and the governing of the self.
The pentacle/pentagram explanation is partly correct, but maintains the same overgeneralization and literal translation of which the Christian philosophy is so fond. The five pointed star is one of the oldest symbols in human history. The "Iceman" found several years ago has one tattooed. The theory of the earliest meanings is that it represented a human, much like the earliest representations of the cross (which also predates Christianity). In some theologies, Tetragrammaton represents the human figure in relation to the sprituality of the wearer, upright signifying that the mind and spirit rule over the flesh while inverted indicates that the flesh and earth rule over the mind. The goat head translation is actually fairly recent, and indicative of the literal-minded symbology of Christianity and its offshoots (which includes Satanism).
Further, Satanism is actually quite a young belief system, as the figure of Satan does not even appear as an entity until the Book of Job, and is still at that point a servant of God. Not until the rise of Christianity does Satan appear as a malevolent entity, which is a symbol itself for the enemy within the ranks, signifying the time of Christ's betrayal when none could be trusted. The original Hebrew word for Satan means "obstruction", a thing which blocks the path. This obstruction would generally be written as a tool of God to test, divert or prevent the will of someone. Take that info as you will concerning the true nature of Satanism.
Long winded quasi-rants aside, anyone who enjoys well-built women in black duct tape should check out http://www.charliedrown.com Mmmm, yummy.
Old 06-17-03   #9
HungryCrackPot!
I AM CONDOMSAURAUS REX

HungryCrackPot!
Credits: 9,563
Quote:
Originally posted by shellmonster
er...lovely list you have there, but there more than just the circle around the star that makes the difference between pentagrams and pentacles. the most important one being that a pentagram ALWAYS points down. Christians associate this symbol with satanism, with the top two points representing the horns, the lower two points representing the ears, and the downward point representing the chin or beard of a goat, symbolic of satan.
the pentacle ALWAYS points up, and when Christianity was young, it was actually used for a short time to represent the five wounds of Christ - head, hands, and feet.
Purely symbolically, however, the five pointed star is simply representative of power, or protection.
MOST teenygoths end up wearing either of the symbols thinking that they look cool and are defying the norm, but more often than not the pentacle (most commonplace amongst goths) is found and worn by those of the goth community that actually study and/or practice witchraft or wicca, or any other pagan religion that uses the five pointed star as a major symbol of faith. as for the pentagram, it is more often found on headbangers and bikers, who are more likely of the mind to join The Church of Satan, Anton LaVeys' lovely hoax.
-shell-
Actually, pentagrams are printed, pentacles are tangeable objects. Simple as that. And they are used in much more than witchcraft and satanism. Also, upside down pentagrams are bad. Regular ones are right side up, and not bad.
Old 06-25-03   #10
Lillith

Quote:
Originally posted by HungryCrackPot!
Actually, pentagrams are printed, pentacles are tangeable objects. Simple as that. And they are used in much more than witchcraft and satanism. Also, upside down pentagrams are bad. Regular ones are right side up, and not bad.

Actually a Pentacle is a Pentagram within a circle. Whether printed, drawn, or an object it remains just that, a Pentacle.
"Upside down" or inverted Pentagrams are merely an indication of intent focused on the Self and materialism. It points down to the five sensory awareness, whereas the the Pentagram that points up indicates Intent towards Spirit, and the Higher Self, towards Ether. I don't like the words or notions of "good" and "bad", it depends on the journey of the Soul and the purpose and intention the Soul wishes to explore.
Old 07-09-03   #11
apostate
REDUNDANT

apostate
I agree. Intent is the key. Rather than the archaic and childish notions of good and evil, I prefer to think in terms of maleficence and beneficence. Good and evil are limited by the perceptions of those who experience it, and while the person who commits an act may feel they are being good, the recipient or witness may feel otherwise.
Old 07-09-03   #12
Sybs
Unfolding

Holy lord, this isnt fashion!
Old 07-09-03   #13
One
Live. Love. Life. DIE!

nope, not anymore it aint, haha
Old 07-10-03   #14
Sybs
Unfolding

And to think I was under the impression that this was about the only forum that stuck to the thread subjects
Old 07-17-03   #15
apostate
REDUNDANT

apostate
Well, if it helps, I did recently buy a great new coat. Pics forthcoming.