Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page How long must I wait??????
View Poll Results: How long until the world as we know it ends?
Pretty soon... like a few minutes at most... 0 0%
Give it 10-20 years... it might happen 5 38.46%
Dont hold your breath... it will be a few million.. 5 38.46%
The world will never end... not on my watch... 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-02   #1
Maxx
Embracer Of The Dark

Maxx
Credits: 8,726
How long must I wait??????

How long do you think I have to wait for the end of the world?
Old 03-06-02   #2
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

ArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these parts
Credits: 28,466
the world isn't going to end in your lifetime, so i'm guessing you'll be waiting for quite a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02   #3
Maxx
Embracer Of The Dark

Maxx
So I take it you're the one that voted for a few million...
Could be i suppose... though the way things are looking I wouldn't be too surprised....
Old 03-06-02   #4
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

ArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these parts
what's with your whole apocalyptic attitude, maxx? this little rock we're sitting on has been around for 4.5 billion years, what makes you think it's going to suddenly die out within the next 20 years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-02   #5
Maxx
Embracer Of The Dark

Maxx
I cant say much about my attitude on the matter... I guess thats just the way I am.... a pessemist? perhaps.... in any case you have my appologies if my posts bring you down... but I'm not planning on changing myself just to apease a few people on this forum....

Furthermore,
It's not the rock we're on thats likely to get... whats the word... well 'gone'... it's our way of being... weather it's death or just radical change... things can't stay the same forever...
Old 03-06-02   #6
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

it's not that you bring me down in any way, it's just an observation based on your last few thread creations. the end of the world, the end of society... why would it end? you seem to fall into the same category as most millennialist that assume for whatever reason the world is suddenly going to end because of wars or human error. this isn't a new concept and everyone's been saying it since the 1st century... only now it's the 21st century and we're all still alive and kicking.

Old 03-06-02   #7
Maxx
Embracer Of The Dark

Maxx
I never claimed it would happen due to human error... more likely our time will just be up and we will be done away with one way or another... it's in the stars.... but I wont take that route w/ you people....

..And talking about how happy everyone might be in the future would bore the fuck out of me... maybe I am a pessemist with a flare for destruction... or maybe I'm just still bored...
Old 03-06-02   #8
doebathory
the poet

Location: well the estate agent said it was a semi/det. des. res. in need of some work but to me it looks like a complete sht. hle.
doebathory is on a distinguished road
Credits: 185,622
so far it has been calculated that the sun will implode then expand and destroy the earth in roughly 600 billion years. this being the literal destruction of the planet. i very much doubt that we'll be around to witness it and am personally hoping that we manage to wipe ourselves out within the next couple hundred years and give the planet a chance to exist as it should. ie without us.

yes indeed, i'm a happy camper!!!

No...wait...I take that back...I have no problem with the horse you rode in on.
Old 03-06-02   #9
*psycotic lover*
Feared by the Devil

*psycotic lover*
Credits: 12,828
the sooner it ends the sooner i leave this miserable place.

I am infinity

Old 03-06-02   #10
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx
I never claimed it would happen due to human error... more likely our time will just be up and we will be done away with one way or another... it's in the stars.... but I wont take that route w/ you people....
it's... in.. the... stars? yeah, ok. that seems like a scientifically sound basis for an argument. perhaps we can throw around some bones and see what they have to say on the issue.

Old 03-06-02   #11
Billy the banned

Quote:
Originally posted by doebathory
so far it has been calculated that the sun will implode then expand and destroy the earth in roughly 600 billion years. this being the literal destruction of the planet. i very much doubt that we'll be around to witness it and am personally hoping that we manage to wipe ourselves out within the next couple hundred years and give the planet a chance to exist as it should. ie without us.

yes indeed, i'm a happy camper!!!
if we were never meant to exist..then why do we? Nature doesnt make mistakes. And i think you forget that mankind is a part of nature. It would basically be like saying nature is going to kill nature...we all come from the earth. I say that humans not existing would be a waste of such beauty here...if we never existed who would be here to appreciate it and to marvel at its infinate glory? again im getting at what i was in that other thread mankind has..or in my mind has certain purposes..one is to learn and to appreciate the world we live in. The only trouble is that since were spawned directly from it we have physical needs and desires that make us do bad things to it...but hey by the time the earth is all shitty or if it ever coems to that im sure we will be ready to move on to a new planet and start over
Old 03-06-02   #12
doebathory
the poet

Location: well the estate agent said it was a semi/det. des. res. in need of some work but to me it looks like a complete sht. hle.
i don't mean whether or not we are meant to exist, i simply think the planet and all its other inhabitants would be better off without us.

Old 03-06-02   #13
Maxx
Embracer Of The Dark

Maxx
Quote:
HAHA... I like you...

Quote:
it's... in.. the... stars? yeah, ok. that seems like a scientifically sound basis for an argument. perhaps we can throw around some bones and see what they have to say on the issue.
Like I said... I'm not gonna go down that route... and astronomy is form of science beLIEve it or not...
Old 03-06-02   #14
Billy the banned

Quote:
i don't mean whether or not we are meant to exist, i simply think the planet and all its other inhabitants would be better off without us.

I can see your point..but what makes them better than us? its not like they will do anything productive other than eat, shit and die...If i had to choose between human kind and the animal kingdom at large...well then i choose us. At least we have thought and conciousness enough to appreciate everything we see.
Old 03-06-02   #15
SirVLCIV
Lusus Naturæ

SirVLCIV
Credits: 202,919
And you have no basis of saying humans have thought and consciousness and animals do not. Animals, from as primitive as planarians, are known to have memories of sorts; our brains are merely evolved forms of those before ours; and just because humans are incapable of verbally communicating with other species does not mean those species' inferiority (a deaf/dumb man is not necessarily less intelligent than one who can speak; someone who speaks a different language likewise).

Humans are animals. Just that, animals. Trying to argue against that is worthless.

"Move that one of your pieces, which is in the worst plight, unless you can satisfy yourself that you can derive immediate advantage by an attack." -Adolph Anderssen
Old 03-06-02   #16
Maxx
Embracer Of The Dark

Maxx
Quote:
Humans are animals. Just that, animals. Trying to argue against that is worthless.
Yea... true that... but without our techology we would be somewhere in the middle of the food chain, no?
Old 03-06-02   #17
Billy the banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SirVLCIV
And you have no basis of saying humans have thought and consciousness and animals do not. Animals, from as primitive as planarians, are known to have memories of sorts; our brains are merely evolved forms of those before ours; and just because humans are incapable of verbally communicating with other species does not mean those species' inferiority (a deaf/dumb man is not necessarily less intelligent than one who can speak; someone who speaks a different language likewise).

Animals dont have conciousness..animals are not able to commit suicide or to make rational choices, they follow instincts. Not thoughts. They do have emotions which i think is what youre confusing as intellect, they do have emotions and feelings and they do feel happy when they are playing like dogs when they see thier master return home do feel happy..but the dog isnt saying to itself Hey masters home oh boy now we can sit around and talk...the dog merely feels the happiness and reacts through its natural instincs and recognition. Whereas Human kind does think and does rationalize...thats why we get bored and get used to each other...ever have your dog get bored that youre home and not give a shit while still being healthy? Ill bet you didnt,... ill bet every day when you walk through the door the dog acts like it was the 1st time it had seen you in forever. And i dont need basis to say animals dont have thought...i just said they do..a limited version thats actually not really thought..just emotion. But im sure the scientists who study life do have plenty of basis..anbd proof...but im not gonna go digging for something so obvious to prove anything to you..you can do that on your own.
Im sorry but i have to disagree with you on the inferiority bit..if othe animals were not inferior they would be ruling the planet not us. And the reaon why Animals are inferior intellectually to us is thefact that if i was telling all this shit to any animal it would probably just lick its own balls and look around for food, not counter argue my points....wanna know why> because animals are intellectually inferior thats why they have such powerful instincts. and ours are all but gone.

And yeah i dont dispute that our brians are evolved from lesser versions of animals..but here we are now...all evolved..evolving still im sure... and while we are at the top of the game we are the most advanced lifeform on this plantet and our inteligence and reasoning capabilities and powers of conciousness DO make us superior to the rest of the animals weve sprung from. Now this doesnt mean we should treat them like shit..but you brought up the inferiority bit.
Oh and comparing a deaf and blind man to a...i dunno chimp or dog doesnt make sense he would still be human, who worked through his diabilities..as we have a tendency to do...ow what would happen to an animal who was deaf and blind? it would MOST definatly Die.
Old 03-06-02   #18
Billy the banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx

Yea... true that... but without our techology we would be somewhere in the middle of the food chain, no?
Probably..but then again there has never been a time that human kind as we are today wasnt able to use tools or technology. Its synonomous with humanity..our ingenity is anyways i mean. But im sure if we evolved differntly and we never had technology as it is we would be very differnt in the sense that we would have primitive and natural instincs like animals do, we would probably also have claws for slashing and better legs for running. And as Humans are social creautres i think we would still be at the top of the food chain...look at wolves they hunt together and im sure human kind would too even without out technology we could survive better than anything else..i mean shit the icemen used to bring down mammoths.
Old 03-06-02   #19
doebathory
the poet

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy the Kidd
I can see your point..but what makes them better than us? its not like they will do anything productive other than eat, shit and die...If i had to choose between human kind and the animal kingdom at large...well then i choose us. At least we have thought and conciousness enough to appreciate everything we see.
perhaps as individuals we can appreciate, but as a species we can only destroy, through malice or ignorance or sheer indifference. animals don't commit genocide on a grand scale over tracts of land or religion, they don't create tools of mass destruction, they have no perversities or desire to torture - though some do kill without the need to eat, to me this is natural, because they are doing it without conscious thought, are acting on instinct and ergo not responsible for their actions because they have no awareness or 'right' and 'wrong' nor have need of it. i think that conscious thought, the ability to know what we want, believe we deserve it, and create the means by which to get in to the detriment of all else is - for want of something a little more eloquent - a bad thing.

yes, we are just animals, but we are also more than that. we have the instincts and base desires of animals, but we also have higher thinking which can conjure so many more 'pleasures' than we have need of. we are self-indulgent creatures, and though there are those of us who mourn the state of the world and the plight of the other creatures, we still continue to live an unbalanced lifestyle. we create no equilibrium with our environment as other animals do as a matter of course. everything from the use of pesticides and fossil fuels to war and the obscene needs and practices of the serial killer are, to my mind, evidence that though we may have been meant to exist, we were never meant to do what we have, and that we really should not be here any more.

Old 03-06-02   #20
Billy the banned

Quote:

perhaps as individuals we can appreciate, but as a species we can only destroy, through malice or ignorance or sheer indifference. animals don't commit genocide on a grand scale over tracts of land or religion, they don't create tools of mass destruction, they have no perversities or desire to torture - though some do kill without the need to eat, to me this is natural, because they are doing it without conscious thought, are acting on instinct and ergo not responsible for their actions because they have no awareness or 'right' and 'wrong' nor have need of it. i think that conscious thought, the ability to know what we want, believe we deserve it, and create the means by which to get in to the detriment of all else is - for want of something a little more eloquent - a bad thing.

yes, we are just animals, but we are also more than that. we have the instincts and base desires of animals, but we also have higher thinking which can conjure so many more 'pleasures' than we have need of. we are self-indulgent creatures, and though there are those of us who mourn the state of the world and the plight of the other creatures, we still continue to live an unbalanced lifestyle. we create no equilibrium with our environment as other animals do as a matter of course. everything from the use of pesticides and fossil fuels to war and the obscene needs and practices of the serial killer are, to my mind, evidence that though we may have been meant to exist, we were never meant to do what we have, and that we really should not be here any more.
I think i am going ot have to disagree with that..Most people only see the bad things that happen and neglect the good. Mankind is a special creation we are like half animal and half divine...we have the physical needs of animals and yet we can reason and feel and think and rationalize..we have concepts of good and bad and right and wrong. So its only natural that we be made of 2 thoughts good and bad, the yin and yang, we are all evil while being good. thats the way we are built. Sure there are people doing mass genocide and making nuclear weapons..but theres also people who dedicate thier lives to helping others, and who give to charity and even the idea of someone picking a bum up in a cold city to take him to a diner to eat and giving him a few bucks is somthing that humans do. We are soooo complex. we are ultimate example of yin and yang, light and darkness within each of us. Its a part of our divinity. I think we were meant to do what we do, if we werent then we wouldnt be doing it. but then there are slight mistakes as well....serial killers are correct me if im wrong always insane in one form or anoother. now thats not really natures fault...thats more a matter of incedent..maybe something went wrong somewhere along the lines to damage that infant to make it what it was. And i think that if you look at history most leaders who did the genocides were a little bit baked in the head. But that doesnt mean that we arent doing exactly what we were intedned to. Think about it like this, quote from Legend by Ridly Scott."What is light without dark? It is a part ofyou all, you will never completely defeat it(dark) we are(dark and light) Brothers eternal" I think that that quote says alot about the duality of mankind... think about it.