Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page A new administrator of DF?

Old 03-04-02   #1
Peter
Non-sequitur

Peter is on a distinguished road
Credits: 65,928
A new administrator of DF?

Several people in other threads e.g. ('Dark Forum Awards' thread) have voiced the opinion that DF is not moderated and / or administrated enough.

I'm not going to point fingers at anyone or blame the (probably overworked) staff of Dark Forum, instead I'm going to suggest that we do something about it.

I think we need another administrator, so this thread is here you you can nominate people who you think would do good for the Forum as administrators. Anyone can be suggested although moderators have the experience and are already working in the forum.

I'm afraid I've left this forum, please read
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-02   #2
Billy the banned

Re: A new administrator of DF?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter
Several people in other threads e.g. ('Dark Forum Awards' thread) have voiced the opinion that DF is not moderated and / or administrated enough.

I'm not going to point fingers at anyone or blame the (probably overworked) staff of Dark Forum, instead I'm going to suggest that we do something about it.

I think we need another administrator, so this thread is here you you can nominate people who you think would do good for the Forum as administrators. Anyone can be suggested although moderators have the experience and are already working in the forum.
I think that Darkforum is moderated too much, we need less control, as it is many people can get trigger happy so to speak with thier move,delete,ban,edit buttons... its a burden to freethinking speech. Just leave it alone or reduce it i'd say.
Old 03-04-02   #3
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

ArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these parts
Credits: 28,466
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter
what type of administration do you think is lacking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-02   #4
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
sire has some good admins around...they have just met with some other situations in their life that require more immediate attention...besides it's suppose to be switching hands...i'm sure it will get organized again...just need to wait...
Old 03-04-02   #5
Peter
Non-sequitur

I just think it would be good for the Forum, remember this isn't just my opinion.

I think RedMeat would be great as an administrator by the way, that is from his previous closing of threads and some of the other things he's done.

I don't have a problem with freethinking speech, but I do have a problem with non-thinking speech, this is what I think needs more administration, personally I'd say a few banning of short periods wouldn't go amiss, but thats me, thats why I started this thread, I want to know what the rest of you think. Yes, it is possible people can go trigger-happy, that is why I think a moderator who has already proven himself would be good.

Don't get me wrong here, the current administration is good, I just don't think it's enough at the moment.

Besides I think it's a good idea to have another suggested admin or two so we can suggest them to the new owner of the board.

Last edited by Peter; 03-04-02 at 11:45.
Old 03-04-02   #6
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
interesting... you pepper admonition with praise... how political

"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 03-04-02   #7
Peter
Non-sequitur

Quote:
Originally posted by errantrogue
interesting... you pepper admonition with praise... how political
Well I don't think there is anything wrong with the current admin, I just think there should be more of it. *shrugs*

Old 03-04-02   #8
Jordyn
paraphiliac

it could just be in a stasis unitl it is decided if new owner has been found or not...no body will probably do that until someone is appointed, and then the new owner(if there is one)can appoint who he/she sees fit, or if sire still has to keep it, he can make the changes...everything is just in a hold pattern for now...patience children, and all will come full circle
Old 03-04-02   #9
Billy the banned

Non-thinking speech is a bi-product of free speech, you cannot get rid of one without the other. Why do you fee it is needed that more peoples free thoughts be monitored and kept in check? thats not what makes this forum good...the free speech and bullshit people say is what makes it good.

And your idea on a few bannings for good measure sounds kinda like something Hitler or Stalin might have said.

And just who should be able to decide whats needed and not? what one person thinks is viable someone else would delete as crap..so why should we have anyone have the ability to delete things like that..granted we do, but why the hell would you want more?

I think low low moderation is the key and if someone see's something they disagree with or offends them they can
A. Ignore it
or
B. Post another opinion and generate conversation...

more moderation is not what this forum needs. definatly not.
Old 03-04-02   #10
Jordyn
paraphiliac

ultimately it's up to who owns the site...and no one that I know is even aware of who that is yet...
Old 03-04-02   #11
Peter
Non-sequitur

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy the Kidd
Non-thinking speech is a bi-product of free speech, you cannot get rid of one without the other. Why do you fee it is needed that more peoples free thoughts be monitored and kept in check? thats not what makes this forum good...the free speech and bullshit people say is what makes it good.

And your idea on a few bannings for good measure sounds kinda like something Hitler or Stalin might have said.

And just who should be able to decide whats needed and not? what one person thinks is viable someone else would delete as crap..so why should we have anyone have the ability to delete things like that..granted we do, but why the hell would you want more?

I think low low moderation is the key and if someone see's something they disagree with or offends them they can
A. Ignore it
or
B. Post another opinion and generate conversation...

more moderation is not what this forum needs. definatly not.
I'll have to disagree with you on that one Billy, I don't think a Forum specifically entitled 'Darness' is the right place for free-speech, free-speech is a right not nessacery welcomed on someones property (currently Sires) and while it is not my place to tell him what to do I can make suggestions and I can invite other people to make suggestions, such as yours which is perfectly valid of course.

I do have the feeling that Stalin or Hitler would take the board by force and then ban everyone they don't like or who disagrees with their bid for power, or just invade that country and ban boards altogether, I didn't even say who I would ban, so I don't really see the likening to Hitler or Stalin.

I do agree that nothing should be deleted though, except possibly completely unused accounts to free up names. I don't decide, in fact, once (or if) some more people are nominated I will be running a little vote as a follow-up to this thread, then I will suggest the person who gets the most votes to the new owner, I am pretty sure you won't be voting though?, I will have an abstain option if you want.

In essence the person who decides is Sire or the new owner, just making suggestions here.

Old 03-04-02   #12
Billy the banned

Im quite sure Sire does allow free speech... he just has a few tiny rules to go by..of course as time grew on they did as well...the 1st and only rule when he 1st took over was something like "no threatening people with real life violence" then it grew a bit from there...

The fact that you didnt name anyone to ban is exactly what was Stalinesque of the statement, he never named enemies either, just banned whoever screwed with his ideas of whats what in secret. As with anything youre probably aiming for a good goal, but i feel that in the end it is something that would be the ruin of something good we got going here. Bringing more and more moderation to this forum isnt unlike the way the US is slowly chipping away its rights for "security" Today we have 1 new admin and a few mods tommorrow its the Post Nazi Gestapo ELite, banning left and right anyone that disagrees with what theyt say, turning a good forum into a ranting ground for anyone with the title "moderator" but mainly because they cannot be moderated by the general population...in a sense i think were better off with a lord of the flies kinda mob rule than we are with a select group of mods going on about power hunger and turning this good shit into thier own playground of thought control.

Like i said..whos to say whats good and bad? If i was a mod i would play the minimalist role of dropping off crap thats really goes against a few gorund rules that SIre or the new owner could establish. and adhere strictly to those rules and only those rule and not deviate from them, otherwise you just got someone with power whos banning and or deleteing threads that they disagree with. Ive seen this happen before at the Clockwork Orange Board i used to go to..the same exact deal, and over moderation killed it finnaly...and sadly that was a fantastic board.
Old 03-04-02   #13
Peter
Non-sequitur

Right I see now, hey, maybe you should suggest yourself as an admin in that case because your warning does make a lot of sense, for some reason message boards of this type seem to last about two years before going a bit pants, I don't think it will happen to this one though, new admin or not.

So I seem a little less Stalinesque I'll say I'd pretty much ban for a day or two anyone who posts nothing but unfounded flames in a none flame thread and fills up the thread so you have to scroll through loads of bollocks to get to some meaningfull posts. Of course I'm not nominating myself, so it's not really that important.

Any suggestions anyone? If Arsinik or someone would give me a list of mods I could put it up?

Old 03-04-02   #14
Aeternus
-= Grey CyberAngel =-

Location: 41:65:74:65:72:6E:75:73 => 58:65:78:71:82:89:58:00 <=
Aeternus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 112,545
Blah blah... I think DF doesn't really need more moderators. Really, what for? I mean, sex, violence, swearing... when done in the proper treads we encourage it!

Besides, things are rather quiet in Bloodlust & VRP moderation wise...

... Time has no bearing...
...when the whiteout begins...

Don't come after me...

Old 03-04-02   #15
Billy the banned

I dont think that i would wanna be a mod...then i would just be a part of the machine..and lose my right to bitch all the time.
And i dont think you should be able to ban anyone for flames... i mean lets face it, many of us enjoy reading a good chunk of heated argument...and not have to go through the other shit...and if you mean meaningful as in:

*fucks everyone in thread then walks out*
or
*Curls up on Peters lap and mreows*

then i think we definatly need less mods and more flame wars.
Old 03-04-02   #16
Peter
Non-sequitur

Depends on the forums and the rules for that forum.

Last edited by Peter; 03-04-02 at 13:04.
Old 03-04-02   #17
Billy the banned

You mean the forum, and the rules for the forum...its would be folly to hold new rules for every thread.
Old 03-04-02   #18
Peter
Non-sequitur

Quote:
You mean the forum, and the rules for the forum...its would be folly to hold new rules for every thread.
Whoops, yeah.

Old 03-04-02   #19
Aeternus
-= Grey CyberAngel =-

Location: 41:65:74:65:72:6E:75:73 => 58:65:78:71:82:89:58:00 <=
Aeternus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 112,545
Quote:
I dont think that i would wanna be a mod...then i would just be a part of the machine..and lose my right to bitch all the time.
And i dont think you should be able to ban anyone for flames... i mean lets face it, many of us enjoy reading a good chunk of heated argument...and not have to go through the other shit...and if you mean meaningful as in:

*fucks everyone in thread then walks out*
or
*Curls up on Peters lap and mreows*

then i think we definatly need less mods and more flame wars.
Umm... Noone gets banned for flames unless it tends to be personal and strongly directed at a single target... in all time as a mod I haven't really heared of anyone getting banned... Only one who was nominated. As for the right to bitch... Well, Arsinik is a mod. Errantrogue is a mod. And I tend to bitch myself a bit :p

So I got two words for ya: Fuck you!

... Time has no bearing...
...when the whiteout begins...

Don't come after me...

Old 03-04-02   #20
Billy the banned

then perhaps you should check out, thefr0g, thelastheathen, sins of khardis, and a host of others who were all banned for expressing negative thoughts towards moderation and such. DM was banned at one point too for a matter of months i think so was Wickedlady and SocietySucks i think. Manifesto of Osiris might have been too if i recall..and they werent flaming people..just bringing up ideas that the mods didnt seem to like much.