Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page Phantasy Star, Better than FF.

Old 12-18-01   #1
thefinalw0rd
SaxophoniusExtraordinaire

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
thefinalw0rd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 138,676
Phantasy Star, Better than FF.

Ok, I said something about this a little while ago, but the amount of people in the "best game ever" forum who said something relating to the FF series pissed me off...

I won't argue that Final Fantasy has produced some very good games, especially VII. But dust off your Sega Genesis, or get an emulator, and find Phantasy Star, either II or IV, but III was pretty good too (1 was for master system and I can't find it). This is a series that is actually a SERIES, not just a group of vaguely connected games that happen to share the same title and developer.

Phantasy Star IV is what I'm going to focus on. The plot development is amazing, and while it's somewhat shorter than a 3 disc RPG on the PlayStation would be, it's still an awesome game. It has everything FFVII offers except for graphics.

Aeris death scene = Alys death scene (sorry if I ruined anything)

Little difference between the two.

In every PS, there is a huge cast of characters, worlds, towns, bad guys, plot development, character development, and the list goes on. They are amazing games.

Phantasy Star III had this cool generation system, where depending on what you did with one group of characters, you would get a certain group for another part of the game. That's replay-ability right there.

My point is that if you play PSIV, hell, any of them, you will see that there are more to awesome RPG's than the fucking FF series. I'm hoping I offend some people and get some people to post here to tell me why I'm wrong so I can relate more parts of FF to PS.
Old 12-18-01   #2
RedMeat
Sweet Zombie Jesus

RedMeat will become famous soon enoughRedMeat will become famous soon enough
Credits: 311,095
Reason why you`re wrong=I`ve never played one of them and gone off the idea of playing old games.

People are always going to have differences of opinion in games. I get pissed off whenever a games mag calls any game in a genre I dont like a "must buy".

Darkness squeezes, Satan`s platypus rises tonight! Bork, bork, bork!
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-01   #3
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
Out of all of the FF games I've played, the best thus far has been Tactics... and I'm just going to agree with you out of the plain irritation I have toward how many people find 7 and 8 to be such goooooood games... when in fact they're just shitty boring attempts at making you pay 50 bucks (not now.. but at one point it was that price :p) for something which gives you almost zero replay value. (Trust me.. I know that because I've attempted to replay them multiple times, and each time I've gotten completely pissed off at the boredom brought on by all of the god damn talking which makes it more annoying to play then to read a book.)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 12-19-01   #4
thefinalw0rd

Location: To the back of the front of the middle, slightly to the right of the left.
FFVII has more replayability than VIII as far as I'm concerned, considering that VIII was the biggest waste of money I've ever been suckered into buying and I never got very far in it.
Old 12-19-01   #5
Matter_Of_Shame
Awesome Andy's AWSUMfries

Location: Awesome Andy's Awesome Take-out Window...Of Awesomeness
Matter_Of_Shame is on a distinguished road
Credits: 48,842
Re: Phantasy Star, Better than FF.

Quote:
Originally posted by thefinalw0rd
Aeris death scene = Alys death scene (sorry if I ruined anything)

Little difference between the two.

you're absolutely right man, i agree 99%. Alys is killed by the bad guy (Zio), and so is Aeris (Sephiroth). Although the way they're killed is different, and the fact that there wasn't really advanced FMVs around PSIV's time, it's almost identical.
Old 12-19-01   #6
RedMeat
Sweet Zombie Jesus

I`ve replayed most of my RPG`s. Most people think that no RPG at all has replay value.

Old 12-20-01   #7
John Preston
Listen

I find some rpg's do have replayability.. such as Ultima V for the pc, or Dragon Warrior for NES... mainly though because they're just so darn easy to start playing... you don't have to go through a bunch of worthless shit and whatnot, and each time is different.

Others.. like FF7-whatnot have just about zero replayability, since everything's pretty much the freaking same.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 12-20-01   #8
RedMeat
Sweet Zombie Jesus

A book is the same read twice too but fans of the book dont have a problem with that. Too many options to the path of the game can also put off players mostly if there is too many multiple endings though.

Old 12-21-01   #9
John Preston
Listen

Um... people who read books tend to not read the book over and over and over again... except if it's a very good book (which are in short supply nowadays).

It's the same way with these "cinematic RPG's." (FF7-X are good examples).

ho ho ho merry christmas!... erm... where'd that come from?
Old 12-23-01   #10
Matter_Of_Shame
Awesome Andy's AWSUMfries

Location: Awesome Andy's Awesome Take-out Window...Of Awesomeness
Matter_Of_Shame is on a distinguished road
Credits: 48,842
well there you go.

add more sidequests and alternate endings, don't make the learning curve so steep, and you'd have more replayability, just as you two said right?
Old 12-23-01   #11
John Preston
Listen

Dragon Warrior was a harsh mistress... go someplace tough and you'll get your ass handed to you. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 were just shit when it came to difficulty.. and that made the fights not necessary to watch. The same thing holds true to X, or at least in the demo it did.. press button constantly and guess what? It worked... I killed them all without dying once... ohhhh the boredom.
Old 12-24-01   #12
Jarekk
21st Century Digital Boy

Jarekk is on a distinguished road
Credits: 84,437
I've never been as sucked into a FF game as I have in PS games... There's more story to PS. While continuity may not be perfect, they do follow one after the other. It's a continuation...

I remember the first time Zio killed my Alys... I had reson to continue, because I was going to ice that bastard!

::shrug:: I tend te get into games more than I should, though... Still, between PS and Shining Force, Sega should be the center of the RPG genre... But, that's just my opinion...

you know what? i still want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket. (%)
Old 01-11-02   #13
Heathen
Still The Last

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,529
My new friends...are you of an older generation than these kids or are you just wise for your age? Why just five minutes ago I posted the Lassic from Phantasy Star was the coolest bad guy in video games. He killed Alys' brother, for damned sake! While I am happy you played the three on Genesis, it is a shame you missed the best one, the first. Go get the Massage emulator. I still have the game cartrige but the battery died so I can't save my games.

Then you speak of Shining Force, the best tactics game out there. Forgive me for being overly preachy, but I so seldomly find Sega fans. Do you prefer the first or second SF? Most people like the 2nd, but I still think the first is one of the best rpg's ever made.

So many truths have been said in this one thread...I even agree that Tactics was the best FF game. And of course, FF8 does suck.

I hope Sire unbands my computer at school because I'd really like to keep an eye on this forum.
Old 01-11-02   #14
Jarekk
21st Century Digital Boy

Maybe I'm a tad older, but it's probably because I'm a lot poorer than most, so I'm usually a few steps behind everyone else.

I've played PS2 and SF2 since I was quite young... Been hooked ever since. And, SF1 came later... I think it's JUST as good! Make me pick a favorite? You MONSTER!

Oh, and, if you're looking for Sega fans, try "www.phantasy-star.net"; the message board there contains many.

Or cyborgcentral.dynip.com:8080/~browren/

Tell 'em ShadowWalker sent ya'.

Old 01-11-02   #15
John Preston
Listen

In my opinion.. .all of these new systems coming out are just going to run the gaming industry toward the people, not the players. This of course means that us, the players... will be forced to play the older games which actually had good gameplay in them.

I just got done beating the snot out of Sonic 3 *whoo go super sonic go* and I'm kind of happy that I did that. I had fun while I played it, and going back I have fun while playing the previous ones. This is not because it's original, nor because the graphics are the best *actually in sonic 3 it kind of went super choppy on me*.

I also just rented FFX, and after playing it for only an hour I can quite easily say that it is shit. COMPLETE SHIT. Not only do the FMV thingies *or whatever they're called* make the rest of the game's graphics look completely horrible, but the storyline bores me... the fights are overly simplistic, and that sphere thing is completely ridiculous.

I also went back and played MGS again.. and once more I remembered how hilariously shitty it is...

Then I found the jewel of my psx collection *not fft..*... BallBlazer Champions.

Most probably none of you have even heard of it.. well buy it. Get it, buy it, rent it.. do something to play it... it's great.. it's as "old school" as the gameplay is possible...
Old 01-11-02   #16
Heathen
Still The Last

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,529
I agree what I played of FFX was lacking. The voice acting was bad and ruined the seriousness of it, the bad guy is named Sin, you play a sports star who looks like he's in the Backstreet Boys, the bad guy is named Sin, the game is completely linear and theres not even a world map, the bad guy is named Sin, the "plot" is too long between fighting, which I wouldn't mind if by plot I meant dialogue, but the plot in this game mostly consists of movies, and last but not least, the bad guy is named Sin.

I did enjoy some PS rpg's, though. I'm a big fan of Suikoden and Wild Arms and FF7 was good, while Tactics is great.

I'm only 19, but my older brother got a SMS for his birthday when he was like 16 and I still have most of the games. Y's was a nice game, as well as Miracle Warriors. Also, most of the people on this site are 14, not that there's anything wrong with that, they just don't remember the same Americana as me. Try asking anyone born post 84 to tell you about Voltron.

I don't know if I want to go to one of the Sega sites, it'd ruin the spontaneity of meeting Sega fans.
Old 01-11-02   #17
thefinalw0rd

I've been looking for an emulator copy of the first Phantasy Star. No luck, though. This is great, people post here even when I was gone for a while. I expected this to be off of the first page.

Anyway, Phantasy Star II was the very first RPG that I ever played...I got it used when I was maybe 7 or 8. Now I'm 16, so I guess it's been a while. I lost the fucking cart though recently and I'm going mad trying to find it again. It's somewhere in my house. I just wish I knew where.

I really liked Sonic 3D Blast...although its a bit long and there's no save or password function on it.

And Voltron was good. Except it created much of the inspiration for things like the Power Rangers...and I was born in late 85.

MGS was good, but once you beat it 2 or 3 times it wasn't.

Shining Force was great. I played II before I so I would say that I liked II better just because it was the first I played.

RPG's like Diablo II have amazing replayability, mainly because of the online play. Getting set items...making your character look cool and able to beat the hell out of other people's characters...It's great.

Lastly, where can I find the emulator and rom for the origional PS?

Whew, that was long winded.
Old 01-12-02   #18
Jarekk
21st Century Digital Boy

So far, I've met 1 person that liked FFX... Everyone else said it sucked.

I always like to play older games... wish I had my genny back (loaned it to my dad, along with SF1, PS2&4, Shining in the Darkness, Shadowrun, and a bunch of other games...)

I'm making do with PSO for now, but since I can't play that online I don't know how long it'll tide me over...

Oh, and, both sites I listed were fansites, not corpsites.

And, since everyone else is saying, I'm also 19.

Voltron ruled, but Transformers and He-Man were better...

(And look what they've done to them!)

Old 01-12-02   #19
John Preston
Listen

I'm baaack!!!!

Being the bored dumbass I am I decided to hunt down a good game on the psx besides ballblazers and tactics.. which is HARD.

Although my collection of games is a nice sum, 30+, it still falls short of the overall amount of games in existence. Looking forward to hunting down a game that was like the older games I thought for a moment and realized almost all 3d games will fall short of that.. mainly because of the 3dness. Surprise surprise though... MegaMan Legends, while repetitive after a while.. is one of the more clear cut hidden gems for the psx... not only does the storyline prove to be entertaining, the bad guys comical in a good way, and the action fun, but there's also the fact that sometimes you'll sit there and think whether or not if you should give that damn ring over to Roll as a present, or go off somewhere to figure out how to make a new weapon.
Old 01-12-02   #20
thefinalw0rd

If any of you have a PS IV cart you'd sell or trade, then let me know. I have a lot of old Sega games and if you're interested then send me a private message and I'll tell you what I have to trade. I hate haveing to make do with an emulator...its just not the same.