Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page The Useless Trivia Thread

Old 12-14-01   #1
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
The Useless Trivia Thread

Here's a thread to post all those wonderful bits of trivia that, while interesting, have no real impact on your life or tend not to be useful in any way.

I'll start...

R. Budd Dwyer - politician (Pennsylvania)
1987 --- Convicted of bribery and conspiracy in federal court and about to be sentenced, he called a press conference; there, in front of spectators and TV cameras, he shot himself in the mouth.

This was the man that inspired the Filter song, "Hey Man (Nice Shot)"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-01   #2
Dark_Insanity
Thy Raven Wings

Dark_Insanity
Credits: 27,173
Your eye triggers a reaction faster than any other sense in your body
Old 12-14-01   #3
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
Re: The Useless Trivia Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowborn
Here's a thread to post all those wonderful bits of trivia that, while interesting, have no real impact on your life or tend not to be useful in any way.
but isn't trivia just random knowledge, and random knowledge enhances your intelligence, and the more intelligence you have, the smarter you are so in essence even if the littlest bit of "senseless" trivia can impact your life greatly, even if it has no real use?

sorry, just awfully bored
Old 12-14-01   #4
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Re: Re: The Useless Trivia Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordyn

but isn't trivia just random knowledge, and random knowledge enhances your intelligence, and the more intelligence you have, the smarter you are so in essence even if the littlest bit of "senseless" trivia can impact your life greatly, even if it has no real use?

sorry, just awfully bored
Just how would random knowledge enhance your intelligence? All the random knowledge in the world won't make me sucessful if I don't find some useful way to apply it...

...besides which, you didn't post any trivia yourself. What's the matter, not intelligent enough?

An ostrich's eye is larger than its brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-14-01   #5
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

ArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these parts
Credits: 28,466
Re: The Useless Trivia Thread

Quote:
R. Budd Dwyer - politician (Pennsylvania)
1987 --- Convicted of bribery and conspiracy in federal court and about to be sentenced, he called a press conference; there, in front of spectators and TV cameras, he shot himself in the mouth.
i've seen that video, it's pretty sick...

internet domain names owned by proctor & gamble:

diarrhea.com
post-menopause.com
dandruff.com
pimples.com
badbreath.com
crotch-rot.com

Old 12-14-01   #6
Dark_Insanity
Thy Raven Wings

Dark_Insanity
Elizabeth I of England and Mary Queen of Scotts were both bald by the time they reached their middle ages.

The record for the fastest solver of the Rubic Cube belongs to Minh Thai who took only 22.95 seconds at the World Championchips in 1982.

The shortest ever boxing match lasted only 10.5 seconds.

The most common name for a pub is 'The Red Lion' with over 5,000 in Britain.

In the olden days, noblemen, about to be executed would tip the executioner between 7 and 10 pounds for 'his services'.

To be exactly 'one in a million' you would need an I.Q of >180.

In the 8th century AD Liu Ch'ing was born with 2 pupils in each eye.

The huge Shire horses of today are descendants of the war horses of medieval knights, specially bred to carry the enormous weight of armour worn in battle, The horse itself weighed almost a ton.

In 1890 a cow called Mollie, from Ohio, USA began giving black milk. This black milk tasted better than the white milk we recieve today. The reasons for this were never explained!

Only 1 1/2 hours after he is born, a mountain goat is able to stand ag run up the nearest hill.

The albatross is a bird who can fly all day long... Without flapping his wings!

Amaizing as it is, Elaphants can swim, they go at a leisurely 2 miles an hour.

When sea urchins walk, they are actually walking ot the tips of their teeth.

The Tuatara Lizzard of New Zealand still has the reminants of a third eye on the top of it's head. A link to the time when it's ancestors had flying enemies.

The brain of the brachiosaurus weighed only 7 ounces.

9% Of Americans report being in the prescence of a ghost.

A baby in Florida was named Truewilllaughinglifebuckyboomermanifestdestiny. His middle name is George James

A Japanese company hired a soothsayer to throw dice to help determine on which floor of the two 110-story World Trade Center they should have their offices on.

A nihilist believes in nothing

A notaphile collects bank notes

According to ancient chinese astrologers, 70% of omens are bad.

Austria was the very first country to ever use postcards

Deaf people have safer driving records on average than hearing people in the U.S.A.

California has issued 6 drivers licenses to people named Jesus Christ.

If you leave Tokyo by plane at 70am, you will arrive in Honolulu at approximately 4:30pm the previous day.

In Brazil, a traffic jam was created when a couple kissing in a car got their dentures stuck together.

It is a misconception to believe that watching TV in a dark room is bad for your eyes. This myth was created to help sell lamps in the early 1950's.

One legend claims stealing someone's shadow (by measuring it against a wall and driving a nail through its head) can turn the victim into a vampire

Someone on Earth reports seeing a UFO every three minutes. In the U.S., reported sightings are most likely to occur in July, at 9 p.m. or 3 a.m.

Santa Claus has a brother named Bells Nichols according to French Tradition

Rice paper does not have rice in it

One year contains 31,557,600 seconds

One year is exactly 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 54.5 seconds

Revolvers cannot be silenced because of all the noisy gasses which escape the cylinder gap at the rear of the barrel

Scientists in Australia's Parkes Observatory thought they had positive proof of alien life, when they began picking up radio-waves from space. However, after investigation, the radio emissions were traced to a microwave in the building

Strange-but-real organizations that you might want to leave off of your resume: the institute of totally useless skills, the international association of sand castle builders, national society for prevention of cruelty to mushrooms, cookie cutter collectors club, international correspondence of corkscrew addicts

Superstition says that the left side is the wrong side of the bed.

The calories burned in one hour of running could bring about seven quarts of water to a boil.

The largest prime number is 13,395 digits long; more than the number of atoms in the universe.

Is that enough for you
Old 12-14-01   #7
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

ArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these partsArSiNiK is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Insanity
A Japanese company hired a soothsayer to throw dice to help determine on which floor of the two 110-story World Trade Center they should have their offices on.
do you think they asked him for their money back?

Old 12-14-01   #8
Aeternus
-= Grey CyberAngel =-

Location: 41:65:74:65:72:6E:75:73 => 58:65:78:71:82:89:58:00 <=
Aeternus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 112,545
If you drink a glass of water as the first thing you do in the morning, you will remember your dreams.
Also cures morning dragonbreath...

... Time has no bearing...
...when the whiteout begins...

Don't come after me...

Old 12-14-01   #9
VelvetPattens
General Board Voyeur

VelvetPattens
Credits: 44,838
I'll have to remember that one. I never remember my dreams.

The little plastic doohickie on the end of your shoelaces is called an aglet.
Old 12-14-01   #10
Dark_Insanity
Thy Raven Wings

Dark_Insanity
Approximately sixty circus performers have been shot from cannons. At last report, thirty-one of these have been killed

Everyday, more money is printed for Monopoly than the U.S. Treasury

Kermit the Frog has 11 points on his collar around his neck

Kermit the Frog is left-handed

Little Miss Muffet was arachnaphobic

Pinocchio was made of pine

Sleeping Beauty slept 100 years

The first motion picture copyrighted in the U.S was in 189 It showed a man sneezing

The most common name in nursery rhymes is Jack

The name of the dog from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is Max

The price of the first TV Guide was 15 cents

There are 22 stars surrounding the mountain on the Paramount Pictures logo

There are Pokemon school books. You can even do math with a Pokemon math book
Old 12-14-01   #11
ArSiNiK
beer 12fl.oz (355ml)

99% of all zippers have the initials ykk on them because they're all made by the same company.

Old 12-14-01   #12
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Re: Re: Re: The Useless Trivia Thread

Quote:

Just how would random knowledge enhance your intelligence? All the random knowledge in the world won't make me sucessful if I don't find some useful way to apply it...

...besides which, you didn't post any trivia yourself. What's the matter, not intelligent enough?

An ostrich's eye is larger than its brain.
you are not born with random knowledge, you had to have read or watched something, and more than likely it was not a commercial that was just a minute of infromation...sea mammals(dolphins, whales etc) have a very complex communication system and the dolphins in the northern colder oceans are more violent and their play is not as nice as the happy dolphins in the warmer waters,dolphins are the only threat besides humans to a great white ...a great whites favorite food is seal, and and they can jump out of the water on an attack, australia has nine of the ten deadliest snakes in the world...they have recently found the skeletal remains of a prehistoric alligator that was over forty feet long...they use worms to do studies on extending life periods...most of what scientists know about how the human brain works come from animal experiments...give me some time, I can go on with more...Intelligent enough for you?:p
Old 12-14-01   #13
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Useless Trivia Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordyn

Intelligent enough for you?:p
Mmm..almost. Had you been as ingenious as Dark Insanity to double space your trivia, it would have made your post longer and much more impressive looking.

Last words spoken by Mr. Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.: "Never felt better."

Old 12-14-01   #14
Jordyn
paraphiliac

I had only ten minutes of a break...I didn't have time to space everything....had printers to fix ya know!
Old 12-14-01   #15
Duchess Nocturn
Cunning Linguist

Duchess Nocturn
Credits: 127,114
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Insanity
It is a misconception to believe that watching TV in a dark room is bad for your eyes. This myth was created to help sell lamps in the early 1950's.
I KNEW it!!!! My dad is ALWAYS getting after me for sitting in the dark with a movie or computer.

My trivia:

In Medieval England, at one point, 40% of the male population was named John.
*glares at Arsinik*

I fucked Vincent Price
Old 12-14-01   #16
Minion_of_Hell
Horny Demon

Minion_of_Hell is on a distinguished road
Credits: 19,659
Heres a few rather fucked up and twisted fetishes for ya:

Acrotomophilia and apotemnophilia- Fancy-schamncy words for, respectively, getting off on real (or imagined) sex with an amputee, and fantasizing about one day having a body part removed or cut off.

Spectrophilia- Getting turned on by spirits, ghosts, angels or gods.

Dysmorphophile- Someone aroused by a face that only a mother baboon could love, plus other deformities, like chicken-pox scars, club feet, and hunchbacks.

Dendrophilia- Intense sexual arousal caused by having sex with trees rather than with humans. Brings a whole knew meaning to the word "woodpecker".

Emetophilia- Fetish for throwing up and being thrown up on; also known as a Roman Shower. Those Romans sure knew how to have a good time.

Iatronudia- The opposite of hypochondria: Perfectly healthy people act sick so they can undress infront of a doctor.

Gerontophilia- Otherwise known as Cacoon syndrome, or sexual attraction to someone decades older than you.

Menophilia- A fixation on menstruating women, and their personal hygene products, whether used or not.

Pony Play- If bestality is too gross for you, just get someone to pretend to be a horse.

Ophidicism- Using lizards, snakes and other reptiles for sex.

Avisodomy- Sex with birds.

Agalmatophilia- A doll, statue, or mannequin fetish.

MINION OF HELL

Old 12-15-01   #17
Starface
Darkness Incarnate

Starface
Credits: 95,246
Spectrophelia....O.K...I had a friend named Chin...(NO SHIT) and we used to have contests to see "who was the freakiest bitch" anyway...she swore to god that her SATAN...was cumming into her room every night and raping her and she would tell me stories with muchos detailos....I used to have to make shit up to hang!~
"The most difficult thing in the world is to reveal yourself, to express what you have to.... to be willing to risk everything to really express it all." -- JOHN CASSAVETES
"solve et coagula" ... destroy to create ...

Old 12-15-01   #18
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

Guy_Person is on a distinguished road
Credits: 120,591
There are twelve corruptions of the name Elizabeth.

John The Baptist is a corruption of Jochanan the Baptist.

Confucious is a corruption of Kung fu Tzu

...Betsy, Beth, Bit, Eliza, Liz, Bethy, Elise...

Muhammed is the most common name in the world.

The sentence, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." uses every letter in the English alphabet.

Samba is literally to rub navels together.

Uranus used to be king of the sky.

Sanskrit has no symbol for the English noise F is meant to make.

"Welsh" means "foreigner" in welsh.

...Elisa, Lizzy, Bet, Lisa, Lizbeth...

You will never see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed

Old 12-15-01   #19
Silver MoonDragon
Face in the Mist

Silver MoonDragon
Credits: 324
a person swallows an average of 26 spiders while they sleep
Old 12-15-01   #20
doebathory
the poet

Location: well the estate agent said it was a semi/det. des. res. in need of some work but to me it looks like a complete sht. hle.
doebathory is on a distinguished road
Credits: 185,622
Quote:
Originally posted by VelvetPattens
I'll have to remember that one. I never remember my dreams.

The little plastic doohickie on the end of your shoelaces is called an aglet.
yeah but ever since that tom cruise film 'cocktail' i bet more people think they're called flugelbinders. that's what i call them anyway.

No...wait...I take that back...I have no problem with the horse you rode in on.