Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page The Necromonicon
View Poll Results: The Necronomicon: solely a creation of fiction?
Yes, it did not exist before Lovecraft. 16 72.73%
No, it is an ancient magickal text. 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-01   #1
AAAAB

The Necromonicon

This debate seems to have sprung up in several threads and it seems that opinions are fairly evenly split, so is the Necronomicon a fictional entity with no real origins except in fiction writing, or is it an ancient magickal text written by "the Mad Arab"? All my sources suggest the former, but I know little on the subject, anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 09-03-01   #2
RedMeat
Sweet Zombie Jesus

RedMeat will become famous soon enoughRedMeat will become famous soon enough
Credits: 311,095
I thought Lovecraft too.

Darkness squeezes, Satan`s platypus rises tonight! Bork, bork, bork!
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-01   #3
Set
Evil Incarnate

Set is on a distinguished road
Credits: 84,531
Everybody knows what I think, The Necrnomicon did not exist before H.P.Lovecraft.

.....you have no idea how hard it is to tell people that...

Now, it was Jorydn and I who had this little debat in the "Hi, I'm Satan" thread. If you want my views, please read it.

The Great and Sexy "Slaves of Set".

-- Duddy
--Guy_Person
-- Dark Messiah
-- Chaos Creator
-- Tisha19
-- Mistressbitch
-- LillyDara
-- ~*Rebeckah*~
-- Clearwitch (part time)
-- Angel of Melody
-- ChupaKabraz
-- MorbidSukkubus
-- SirVLCIV

Last edited by Set; 09-03-01 at 10:19.
Old 09-03-01   #4
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Feroluce is on a distinguished road
Credits: 99,822
It was around before Lovecraft, I can't say how long (some of you will understand why) but Lord Byron had a copy that he picked up in Greece.

And Technically the author wasn't an Arab.

The Egyptians had legends about it so it was round before them.

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
Old 09-03-01   #5
AAAAB

I know, I read your debate with Jordyn Set, that's why I started this thread. That and "Draco13" states that he "follows the teachings of the Necronomicon"

Feroluce: Evidences? Can you be more precise on these Egyptian Legends? Please note that I'm not just talking about "a book upon which Lovecrafts Necronomicon was based", rather an actual book called "The Necronomicon". Thank you for your insight.
Old 09-03-01   #6
Feroluce
Brain Candy

oops, prolly should have read the "hi I'm satan thread" but it was just too tedious.

Do you mean did Lovecraft come up with the title?

not sure on that one

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
Old 09-03-01   #7
AAAAB

What I mean is - does the book that Lovecraft "quoted" in his books (apparantly, I'm incredibly poorly read and haven't read any of them... sue me), and called The Necromonicon, actualy exist - or ever exist - as a real ancient text created before Lovecrafts reference to it? Perhaps he used a particular book but changed the name? This would count too, as long as it is the same book.
Old 09-03-01   #8
Feroluce
Brain Candy

I tried to read the call ot the Cthulu but I just couldn't get into it so I honestly don't know.

I do know that there's a book of the dead, book of shadows, key of solomon, grand Grimoire, whatever you want to call it, and that it is as old as history itself (if you get my meaning),
Maybe he was refering to this?!

Who knows what goes on in a loony like Lovecrafts mind

Old 09-03-01   #9
AAAAB

Of course, there are many Books of the Dead from ancient cultures, as well as many Grimoires. The Key of Solomon, translated by Mathers, is still available through Amazon. If it was a Book of the Dead that Lovecraft was reffering to, that would be very believable, but then how to explain people who claim to "follow the teachings of The Necromonicon" and "the Mad Arab"? Seems very suspect to me...
Old 09-03-01   #10
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Well the one I'm talking about there's no way you could "follow the teachings" of it, it's just an answer to the question Why? rather than How?

As for the mad Arab, lovecraft was mental, the mad arab could have been the guy in the bookshop for all we know

Old 09-03-01   #11
AAAAB

Is there one in particular you are thinking of? Which? Still there are people who are quite fervant that they believe in The Necromonicon and its "teachings", I would be interested to know where they themselves found the book (Draco13? Jordyn?) Maybe errantrogue will know something about this, he seems to be a Lovecraft fan...
Old 09-03-01   #12
Feroluce
Brain Candy

I can't answer that.

I'm sure that since Lovecraft caused such a hubbub if there wasn't a necromonicon around that someone would have written one.

Old 09-03-01   #13
AAAAB

Oh, more of your Bodoukha or whatever? (sorry I forget the exact word, but I got the gist right?) I'd be very interested to find out about that, and why it is so secretive. I just can't resist secrets

Yes, there are infact two versions of "The Necromonicon" floating around the net, both of which are certified fake, and both of which are completely different. No one would realy base their entire belief system on a document such as this, surely?!
Old 09-03-01   #14
Feroluce
Brain Candy

It's so secret because knowledge can be dangerous but it's too important to lose.

As for people basing their beliefs on a book that may be fake, there are Star Trek inspired religions

Old 09-03-01   #15
AAAAB

You're part of a top-secret Star Trek inspired cult you say? Kill 'im!

If it's so secret, where did you find out about it huh?
Old 09-03-01   #16
AAAAB

Ok, here's one version of the Necronomicon, I haven't read it yet, but what the hell: http://www.chesco.com/~aconry/dex.htm
Old 09-03-01   #17
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Ah, that would be telling

I was on the outskirts of it for a long while then I got sick and I needed to know the full story to get through it. It takes a very strong willed person to learn because it destroys all your belief structures. Why do you need faith when you have knowledge?
I was just at a point in my life where I could handle it.

A small few of us know the full story and a few more know parts and we are to make sure that it doesn't become common knowledge.

Frank L.Baum touched on it in his most famous work

Old 09-03-01   #18
AAAAB

Do you actualy believe that you know The Answer? Let me guess let me guess, it it...

...42?

Seriously, do you believe that you know what the Universe realy is, what humans realy are, etc.? I find that somewhat farfetched, but then of course I would wouldn't I. I searched for Bodoukha-whatsit at the time, when you posted "getting scared now", and all I got was a Martial Art form, hmmm
Old 09-03-01   #19
Feroluce
Brain Candy

It's a martial art form too, well the martial art is a part of it, well the martial art is a branch of the trinity which also includes mind war and spirit combat (not as dungeons and dragons as it sounds)

The scary thing is that I can give you clear solid scientific proof for stuff (I love that word, it gets me out of details )

Old 09-03-01   #20
AAAAB

Quote:
Originally posted by Feroluce
I can give you clear solid scientific proof for stuff (I love that word, it gets me out of details )
You can, or you could if I was an initiate? So can you give me a basic outline of what the world is realy like according to you guys or would that be telling? "Scientific Proof" doesn't do much for me I've got to say, lots of things can be "scientificaly proven"...