Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page A question for Wiccans & Pagans

Old 07-24-01   #1
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
A question for Wiccans & Pagans

I notice there aren't any recent threads discussing either Wicca or forms of Paganism. I'm not very familiar with the belief systems involved with either. If there is anyone on the boards that practices these religions who would be willing to enlighten me, I'd appreciate it. I've had about all the discussion over Christianity I can take for the moment.

Shadowborn
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-01   #2
Sic Simon
Permanently Banned

Sic Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 304,890
I like witchcraft and I have a few wiccan friends, but I don't like religions in themselves, I like theology however and I have studied alot on magick and the history of white magicians.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-01   #3
Shadow_Land13
Face in the Mist

Shadow_Land13
Credits: 1,974
Actually, there is no such thing as white or black magick. That is a movie misconception. Magick is merely a force inside of someone. It is how they use it that is either "Good" or "Evil". Though I hate both of those words because they are mearly someones perception. Anyway, I practice Paganism in a broad sense, so I can answer any questions you have to the best of my abilitys.

"I am the life of death, and the death of life. Hope is a false comfort in my mind. Appearance is nothing to the soul. Be wary, be watchful, be honest." ~Shadow DragonMatrix~
Old 07-25-01   #4
Sic Simon
Permanently Banned

Sic Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 304,890
they still like to be called white magicians...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-01   #5
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

White, Black, Pinstriped, whatever. Lets move on.

So lets hear about your basic belief system for starters. The core of your faith, so to speak. What are your beliefs concerning a divine power? What tenets do you live by in your day-to-day life? Any taboos/strictures? During times of crisis, do you have any spiritual guidance, written works, et al, to refer to in order to resolve them?

Shadowborn
Old 07-25-01   #6
asilentrevolt
Lurks in the Shadows

asilentrevolt
Credits: 6,388
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow_Land13
Actually, there is no such thing as white or black magick. That is a movie misconception. Magick is merely a force inside of someone. It is how they use it that is either "Good" or "Evil".
A good way to explain that is lets take a hammer for example.

A hammer is neither good nor bad,

Using a hammer to build a house for homless people is "good"

Using a hammer to smash the head in of an innocent person is "bad.

Am technically pagan?
Have read a bit on wicca, If you can't find anyone else I can let you know what I got from the religion.
"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recess of their minds awake to find all was just Vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make them happen. " -Skylash

Old 07-26-01   #7
Kosuke
Face in the Mist

Kosuke
Credits: 1,393
hiyas. I am Wiccan, I've been one for about three years...
if you have any questions or want to talk about it, let me know. I'd be happy to 'enlighten' you, my friend, heh.
Old 07-26-01   #8
GoddessOfDeath
Dreamer..

GoddessOfDeath is on a distinguished road
Credits: 84,947
Yesh

If there is anything you'd like to know, I will also be willing to help :p

~*Goddess Of Death*~
Old 07-26-01   #9
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Thanks for the offers, people...

But seeing as I've already asked, there is no real need to offer your services, just start talking already!

Look over my questions in the above thread and answer as best you can please.

Shadowborn
Old 07-26-01   #10
asilentrevolt
Lurks in the Shadows

asilentrevolt
LOL you should really ask a specific question, do you want Wiccans or Pagans? Do you want to know what branches there are of the "faith?".. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not used to sharing my religion with others, in fact since I have recieved mostly negative feedback from ignorant people (including freinds, neighbors, and school mates) I usually don't share too much.
"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recess of their minds awake to find all was just Vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make them happen. " -Skylash

Old 07-26-01   #11
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by asilentrevolt
LOL you should really ask a specific question, do you want Wiccans or Pagans? Do you want to know what branches there are of the "faith?".. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not used to sharing my religion with others, in fact since I have recieved mostly negative feedback from ignorant people (including freinds, neighbors, and school mates) I usually don't share too much.
I've stated some basic questions to get you started. Check the 5th post on this thread. I'd like answers from both Pagans and Wiccans, as long as its clearly stated who is answering for which religion.

I will hear what you have to say with an open mind. As I've stated, I know very little about the Wiccan faith, or Paganism and wish to learn what I can. I will forewarn you however that I tend to look at things with a critical eye, and may ask some uncomfortable questions. So if you prefer not having your faith tested by cross-examination I'd advise not answering. I'm not here to start a fight, I'm just looking for accurate knowledge of the basic tenets and beliefs of the two religions.

Shadowborn
Old 07-30-01   #12
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Hello?

Are there so few wiccans and/or pagans who have a solid grasp on their faith and their religion that this thread is going to die without a clear response? Surely someone is willing to have a discussion on this topic? I've seen enough threads on this topic that somebody must have something to say...

Shadowborn
Old 07-30-01   #13
asilentrevolt
Lurks in the Shadows

asilentrevolt
Re: White, Black, Pinstriped, whatever. Lets move on.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowborn
[b]So lets hear about your basic belief system for starters. The core of your faith, so to speak.
Alright.. First off let me say, I am not claiming to be an expert on Wicca, nor do I consider it my religion, I've only read up on it a bit. This is a very broad subject. First of all most Wicca does not run off a specific book, there is no bible. It's a very person religion. There are some "templates" for celebration, quote un quote days of power, kind of like holidays. For example Yule. I don't want to speak for everyone. This is just what I got from Wicca, if there are any cxorrections, please fill me in.. Paganism is also broad because there are litterally hundreds of religions that could be placed into that category. Part of the reason you may not be getting the response you want is that

A: It has already been posted somewhere on this board?
B: Wicca does not seem to be the sort of religion that tries to recruit of sway people from their own belifes.
C: Most people I assume are like me and have no real formal training, but instead figure out most of the doctrine by reading books. I feel a little unconfident trying to map out exactly what Wicca is. As for paganism you may also develop your own version using bits and peices from other religions, I would think that is personal.

One fundimental idea of Wicca is that you can do anything you want as long as you don't hurt other people or yourself. This comes in the form of the Wiccan Reede (spelling?)
Wicca seems to be a nature religion, that identifies with the God and Goddess as equal deities of power, although some fractions choose to spend more time in worship of the goddess. Both deities have many faces which translates into many gods and godesses, but they are all the same. It has some basic shamanistic qualities too (or so I've read). There is an underlining respect for nature, and the world. Many Wiccans feel it is their duty to protect the earth, or the mother. There are also aspects of death and rebirth as in the yearly cycle the God dies and is reborn, his own father from the godess's womb. Each holiday marks a phase in the cycle. Wicca is not just spells and magick, but magick can play a big part of the religion. magick is veiwed as a natural event, not supernatural. There are different ways of chanelling through power. Through the self, the Deities, through animals, it all depends on personal flavor. One taboo is using magick to exploit, manipulate or hurt other people because all magick flows through the god and godess and it is offensive not only to them, but to nature, and yourself. As there are many books to detail the specifics and the general dogma and ideals of Wicca. One I would suggest for a beginner would be Living Wicca (the first book in the series) by Scott Cunningham. I think he gives a simple, strait foward, and good look at Wicca, though he does make a few comments that I found were critical of the christian religion. There is a list of material in the book you may want to check out.. Then after you've read a bit, then I suggest you then ask questions about things you don't understand... I think this post could go on and on otherwise, and I'm afraid I might misrepresent the religion. I hope that helps a little. Thanks.

Old 07-31-01   #14
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Re: Re: White, Black, Pinstriped, whatever. Lets move on.

Well, thank you for responding, whether you ascribe to these religions or not. You've given me the start for the thread I was hoping for. I'm not looking for "stereo instruction" guidlines to Wicca. Yes, I could easily go out and read these books, and probably shall. The point of posting this thread was so I could get actual thoughts and feelings of the people who celebrate Wicca, or a form of Paganism. I'm of the opinion that those who are practicing the religion should be able to give me greater insight to the whys and wherefores on a more personal level.

I could go dig up old threads refering to my original questions, but I only intended to use those as a springboard to learn more once I had those basic ones answered. I'm not asking for conversion, simply information. I understand hesitancy in pressing ones beliefs on someone who doesn't ask to hear them, but hey, I'm asking. Chances are the older threads were spoken in by people no longer reading these forums, not much chance of getting clarification there.

So, if anyone out there would like to clarify, confirm, or contradict anything Asilentrevolt posted, or to add to it, please do.

Thanks again for posting, you've touched base on some things that I've already heard to one extent or another and hopefully will spark some new responses.

Shadowborn
Old 07-31-01   #15
rhpscolumbia
Dark Domestic

Location: The moon-drenched shores of the beloved planet Transexual, in the galaxy of Transylvania.
rhpscolumbia
Credits: 4,176
I think asilentrevolt did a good job in explaining a broad circle of what Wicca is. I have been studying Wicca for about two and a half years, and I would be happy to answer any question you might have as best I can.

Old 08-01-01   #16
Xx4strngrebelxX
New Blood

Xx4strngrebelxX
Credits: 1,260
Wicca

I am Wiccan so i will tell you a bit of what i know about it... Wicca is like the nature, goddess kind of religion, it is witchcraft but of "good" which there really is no good or evil but i guess if chosen would be on the more white magick side...as our rede states

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.
What ye send forth comes back to thee
So ever mind the law of three.
Follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

Blessed Be.

We have elements such as Earth, Air, Fire, Water (naturistic)
so on and so on if you have any questions i could be more specific...
So mote it be.
Old 08-01-01   #17
Xx4strngrebelxX
New Blood

Xx4strngrebelxX
Credits: 1,260
Nice

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow_Land13
Actually, there is no such thing as white or black magick. That is a movie misconception. Magick is merely a force inside of someone. It is how they use it that is either "Good" or "Evil". Though I hate both of those words because they are mearly someones perception. Anyway, I practice Paganism in a broad sense, so I can answer any questions you have to the best of my abilitys.
I seem to recall someone by the name of Ly De Angeles saying the exact same thing in her popular book "Witchcraft theory and practice"
Old 08-01-01   #18
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Re: Wicca

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx4strngrebelxX
I am Wiccan so i will tell you a bit of what i know about it... Wicca is like the nature, goddess kind of religion, it is witchcraft but of "good" which there really is no good or evil but i guess if chosen would be on the more white magick side...as our rede states

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.
What ye send forth comes back to thee
So ever mind the law of three.
Follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

Blessed Be.

We have elements such as Earth, Air, Fire, Water (naturistic)
so on and so on if you have any questions i could be more specific...
So mote it be.
Ok, this gives me enough to inspire a whole crop of new questions, these are open to answer by anyone:

Where does the Wiccan Rede originate from?

Explain the significance of the Goddess and the God?

Why is it that this person only mentioned the Goddess and not the God? I thought both were equal?

What is the relationship between the Goddess, God, and nature?

What are the significance of the four elements?

Does Wiccan magic work with significant results?
(I've seen crap like the Craft, very amusing. I want to know what sort of result actual practicing Wiccans observe.)

Thats a good start for now. I await your replies.

Shadowborn
Old 08-02-01   #19
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Back to the top...

...because my questions haven't been answered and I refuse to let this get lost.

Shadowborn
Old 08-03-01   #20
johnny_crucifix
Heerreee's Johnny!

Location: Hail to the God of What's Unknown! *Yes, I live there too.*
johnny_crucifix
Credits: 31,771
like most. i find alot of stuff on the internet. but remember. witchcraft and magic is what YOU make of it. no one tells you what you CAN and CANT do. the first site w/a good basis on the subject is www.realmagick.tripod.com and than www.spellsandmagic.com check these out. it will help you