Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Monsters From Thoughts?

Old 01-23-04   #1
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
Monsters From Thoughts?

Remember how there was always stuff about "monsters in the closet" and "monsters under the bed" when you were younger? I don't even remember when I started believing in those, but I think it was roughly around when I started sleeping in a big empty dark room. Needless to say the fear I felt whenever I'd hear creaking coming from under my bed or the closet were enough to make me shiver and have difficulty sleeping.

However don't you wonder why it is we even think these? Usually monster stories are grounded in some simplistic belief in something, such as people who were extremely hairy were considered "wolf men" and people who conducted the drinking of blood were what helped push "vampirism" along. Ghosts themselves are understandable, and the loch ness monster has a little bit of "factual evidence" to back it.

Yet these two monsters, who should belong to one single monster family(Thought Monsters) just..materialized out of nowhere.
What helped back their appearance? What caused this widespread feeling of a monster in the closet or under the bed?
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04   #2
gArGOyLe^^
The ModFather

gArGOyLe^^ will become famous soon enough
Credits: 280,161
dude. I swear that bastard was real
Old 01-23-04   #3
John Preston
Listen

John Preston is on a distinguished road
Credits: 256,181
Well it might be that it was, indeed, real.
If you go by normal beliefs you'll quickly notice that children are considered to have an ability to see/sense/etc beyond the normal adult Human due to a still fresh mind and fresh eyes.

On top of that usually poltergeist activities occur with far more..uh..effect?..sure..effect...if a child is nearby and/or present.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Old 01-24-04   #4
Dwyn
Resident Ghost

Dwyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 7,315
I think they came about are the same time as the Boogey Man. "Go to sleep or the Boogey Man is going to get you!".

Also, it makes sense in the mind of a child to be afraid of under the bed and the closet, those are normaly the two darkest places in a room, especially at night.

I know as a kid, and still to a lesser extent I had a vivid imagination and would make things up in my head all the time.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie
around on lakes. Killing is the first thing we
learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead,
and the tigers would rule the earth."

"...the meaning of this life, is to live and is to die."
Old 01-24-04   #5
dark_duqualle
a little clos'r to home

Location: a couch or a van, depends on level of alchohol in body
dark_duqualle is on a distinguished road
Credits: 72,546
i also beleive it was a tool parents used to get children to sleep, although cruel and unusual. it had a downside to me, i became imune ot the fear when i realized thier was nothing like that exept in movies and books. now i spend my time looking for monsters for the fact that i wish i had beleived in them. i think i lost apart of my childhood by blowing it off. like santa claus, when you see your parents putting presents under the tree. when you actualy realize there is no santa it hurts.......
Old 01-25-04   #6
Glucose
Face in the Mist

Glucose is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,449
Well here is an interesting read (scientific based) on what fear is linked to -

Fear Linked To Specific Region Within The Genome

An international team of researchers led by the Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona have found experimental evidence that the various manifestations of fear in animals are influenced by a specific place or region within the genome.
The results, published in the latest edition of Genome Research, were obtained with rats, but the scientists suspect that this research will facilitate an understanding of genetic characteristics and conditioning factors related to fear in humans.

Demonstrating that a gene influences susceptibility to fear involves the need to determine the connection between the gene’s activity and a range of various behavioral and manifestation forms pertaining to this activity.

To date studies carried out in this area have only been able to establish a link between genetic change and a few isolated tendencies related to fear.

Now and for the first time, an international team of scientists led by researchers at the Medical Psychology Unit (Department of Psychiatry and Legal Medicine) at the Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona have detected the influence of a specific place (locus) within the rat genome, a unique region (QTL) located in chromosome 5, in various manifestations of fear assessed under different experimental conditions.

In the study, the rats were submitted to new and unknown experiences and were obliged to cope with open spaces and heights, along with other situations of conditioned fear. That is, they were faced with the signals that warn of something disagreeable or frightening about to happen.

The study is an initial multi-variant analysis that explores the genetic basis of manifestations of fear in an animal, bearing in mind a range of fear-conduct models. Furthermore, it was carried out on a large sample of endogamous offspring of both timorous and daring rats.

For Alberto FernŠndez-Teruel, the principal author of the study, “the fact that the neuron and nerve mechanisms of fear are common in all vertebrates heightens the relevance of having discovered the localization for a genetic locus in rat chromosome 5 that is related to fear, and lends greater pertinence to the study of the genetic characteristics and conditioning factors of fear and anxiety in humans; very probably, there is one specific gene (or several) in chromosome 5 that influences the behavior of fear in rats, and the identification of the counterparts in humans would lead to a greater understanding both of the bases of fear in people and of anomalies related with fear in human conduct.”

In addition to the importance of the discovery with respect to the genetic bases of fear, the research provides evidence, for the first time, for the way in which the activity of a specific genome locus manifests itself in animal conduct through a whole pattern of inter-connected effects.

http://unisci.com/stories/20022/0429024.htm

(Yep - I admit it - I read too much science mags....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An insult is like wine - it only affects if accepted