Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Life after death

Old 02-23-03   #21
Forgotten Sin
Face in the Mist

Forgotten Sin
Credits: 1,954
Quote:
Originally posted by Vallisk
We already know that the body is a series of organs, working together to maintain the overall function of the whole. We can point to the Brain and safely say that it contains our memories and our being. Brain injury can change your whole personality, and wipe clean your memories. We don't fully understand it, no, but i do not think anyone would argue that the Brain is not the driving force for our physical bodies and our mental domain.

Now, death to me, means the death of the Brain. Your body can die and be revived, but if the Brain dies it is over for that person. Personality and memories are lost, and the person is reduced to a mass of organic matter...
Basically what your saying is that your brain/mind, what ever it might be, is just a collection of memories and thoughts. And when your mind dies, those memories are gone forever and go into oblivion. Roughly, thats what your saying.

But if that were so, then you would not really remember any thing at all about your life. You bassically would not be aware of your own existence.
I know I exist because i AM aware of my existence, so it would pretty hard to use that statement that you have said in your argument, if not impossible...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-03   #22
Vallisk
ManBat

Vallisk is on a distinguished road
Credits: 47,241
Quote:
Originally posted by Forgotten Sin
Basically what your saying is that your brain/mind, what ever it might be, is just a collection of memories and thoughts. And when your mind dies, those memories are gone forever and go into oblivion. Roughly, thats what your saying.

But if that were so, then you would not really remember any thing at all about your life. You bassically would not be aware of your own existence.
I know I exist because i AM aware of my existence, so it would pretty hard to use that statement that you have said in your argument, if not impossible...
The question of consciousness is a big one. I happen to believe it comes from the interactions within the Brain. Our own unique neural connections and memories, create our own unique personalities. Our advanced ability for comprehending and desire to question things around us, leads to our consciousness. We think and examine. That doesn't mean that when the Brain dies, we somehow continue. Being aware we exist, does not promise us that we will remain aware forever, when the tool that allows us such awareness breaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-03   #23
Necropolis
Higher Principality

Necropolis is on a distinguished road
Credits: 107,372
Vallisk, I have been thinking about what you said, and what about ectoplasm, wasn't that proved to exist? And be a partly physical/energy system that was a part of our body?

May Chaos Be Visited Upon You.
Old 02-23-03   #24
Tap
Lurks in the Shadows

Tap is on a distinguished road
Credits: 110
Re: Life after death

Quote:
Originally posted by Ssnake
Is there life after death?
No.
Old 02-24-03   #25
Forgotten Sin
Face in the Mist

Forgotten Sin
Credits: 1,954
Quote:
Originally posted by Necropolis
Vallisk, I have been thinking about what you said, and what about ectoplasm, wasn't that proved to exist? And be a partly physical/energy system that was a part of our body?
Ectoplasm? I had never known that to be proven. The first time i heard of it was in an episode of Ghost Busters.
But never have i heard any body using it as being actually proven.
So that is entirely new to me.

But to say that these are what make ghosts would be like drawing a wild card.

It has been pondered that these "ghosts" could just be excess brain waves of the long dead, or possibly excess brain waves of the living.
It has also been pondered that ghosts could be stronger brain waves from living beings, Or sometimes called manifestations of the mind.
This is where human thought, in rare cases, comes close to taking on complete physical froms, but never really accomplishes this.
There is also another theory that these "ectoplasmic" happenings are produced by the use of cell phones, or radio waves. I heard this back when Ectoplasm was still not proven to be true.

But if any of these were completely true, there would be alot more of these phenomena(SP?).
Although, I would not toss these theory's to the side right away as they all may have some sort of truth to them...

P.S.: I find the later possibility to be less possible then any of the others because of the obvious reason that these paranormal happenings have been around alot more longer then cell phones...

Old 02-24-03   #26
Vallisk
ManBat

Quote:
Ectoplasm is something that mediums claim to produce during communication with Spirits. It allows the Spirits to interact with the physical world, giving them a physical presence, supposedly. In reality, the whole thing is far from proven. You can make Ectoplasm with a mixture of soaps and gelatin. The most common instances of "Ectoplasm" being used by Psychics was back in the days when Seances were all the rage, and cheesecloth was employed for the purposes of the charlatans.

Now, i can't say there isn't real Ectoplasm out there, but so far only common materials have been discovered. That is evidence enough for me to disregard the subject until such a time as real evidence comes forward, if ever.

Old 02-24-03   #27
Necropolis
Higher Principality

OK then, well I'll agree that it isn't provable that there is an afterlife, all I really have to go is that when my brother died, I didn't feel like he had left only that he was somewhere else, and I would see him again.
This does not mean I was not upset BTW.

Old 02-24-03   #28
DOWNDOOM
Lurks in the Shadows

DOWNDOOM
Credits: 6,344
Quote:
OK then, well I'll agree that it isn't provable that there is an afterlife, all I really have to go is that when my brother died, I didn't feel like he had left only that he was somewhere else, and I would see him again.
people can believe and have in faith in anything they want to believe

but that doesnt mean that its true...

if i believe that i will meet my bro on the island of beautiful women after we die, then i believe that, but it dont mean its true... it could be true, but noone can be too sure

point im trying to make is people shouldnt live their lives as though they will be reincarnated into a better life or as though they will go to heaven after they die cuz the truth is, we really dont know jack about whats gonna happen

live your life like its your first and last, and dont take things for granted, like your loved ones etc...
Old 02-24-03   #29
Vallisk
ManBat

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you will see him again. Nobody knows for sure. Whatever the reality is, our opinions will not change it one way or the other.

Old 02-24-03   #30
Necropolis
Higher Principality

I am not going to live forever no one does.
Reincarnation states that you die, literally your soul lives on, your personality and everything that is you dies with the body, the expierences the spirit gets and leaves.
Besides I live life in the now because well there is no going back.

Old 02-27-03   #31
Tab
New Blood

Tab
Credits: 1,498
maybe I'm weak minded, but, proof enough for me

Also, I find most of the teachings of Theosophy and similar series of beliefs to be more logical than anything else and the only "religious" systems that actually offer a reasonable and logical explanation for pretty much everything, both complementing and outdoing scientific fact.
A friend of mine likes to call it the religion of common sense.
:\

But, thats just me.

All of that psychokenesis stuff kind of pushes the idea too...

erm.. I dunno, but anyone who can do stuff like that must be doing something right if you ask me...

/backs off >.>