Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Vegetarianism

Old 12-22-12   #161
MattNeputin
New Blood

MattNeputin has disabled reputation
Credits: 1,931
I think anyone interested in vegetranism should read the China Study by Campbell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book) It pretty much indicates that animal products are the cause of most of our modern day diseases.

Additionally vegetarianism is pretty much required in many paths of self-development (yoga, some offshoots of Buddhism etc.) as it raises your sensitivity.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13   #162
MainerMikeBrown
Feared by the Devil

MainerMikeBrown is on a distinguished road
Credits: 14,025
I could never work for a farm that slaughters animals.

I do work for an agricultural farm during the spring and summer months. But fortuanately, they have no animals at this farm. If they did, I would have never started working there in the first place.
Old 01-21-13   #163
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,977
Oh aren't you so smug and eco-conservative. I bet you drive a hybrid and like the smell of your own farts. What about all those poor plants? Only thing that is sadder, is plants can't defend themselves, and plants can't make noises so you cant hear them scream. You make me sick mikemainerbrown
Old 01-21-13   #164
MainerMikeBrown
Feared by the Devil

MainerMikeBrown is on a distinguished road
Credits: 14,025
But plants don't suffer from being eaten like animals do because plants don't have a soul.
Old 01-22-13   #165
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 4,803
I do feel vaguely guilty about the mistreatment of animals raised for food actually. I'm not falling apart about it but I do buy the free range shit sometimes just to alleviate that.

Especially pigs. Like, cows and chickens are dumb as a sack of bricks, but pigs are actually really smart. If only they weren't so damned delicious.
Old 01-22-13   #166
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Old 01-22-13   #167
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

as
Old 01-22-13   #168
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 4,803
Why are the Japanese so hilarious.
Old 01-22-13   #169
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah View Post
I do feel vaguely guilty about the mistreatment of animals raised for food actually. I'm not falling apart about it but I do buy the free range shit sometimes just to alleviate that.

Especially pigs. Like, cows and chickens are dumb as a sack of bricks, but pigs are actually really smart. If only they weren't so damned delicious.
Actually, cows are pretty smart. My parents had one in their pasture and it would play fetch and act like a giant dog. Chickens are dumb as shit though. Hold a chickens head with its beak touching the ground, draw a straight line from its beak to about 3 feet out, some of them will just sit there like you mesmerized them.... very stupid animals Free range death methods are almost the same as caged, the animals just get to roam in an open area before they are fat enough to eat... yay!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-07-13   #170
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,489
I'm a veggie. Been doing it for about 5 months now. After reading Slaughterhouse http://www.amazon.com/Slaughterhouse-Shocking-Inhu...http://www.amazon.com/Slaughterhouse-Shocking-Inhu... I decided I didn't want to anymore. Although I do still eat eggs and dairy - though i only get local farm eggs. I don't really miss meat because I never ate a lot of it anyway.
Old 02-07-13   #171
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Old 03-08-13   #172
Gwena
Lurks in the Shadows

Gwena is on a distinguished road
Credits: 4,072
Been a veggie since I was 12 and I am 26 now think the best advice I could give you if you is learn to cook if you don't already. Getting the whole balanced diet thing is hard at first but you will get use to but not if you are living on linda mc carty shit which for serious taste like crap anyway.

Best thing you can do, look up some good recipes and up skill in the kitchen. That way you will have a better idea if the meal actually has protein, iron etc
Old 04-02-13   #173
neonwraith
Voice of Unerring Reason

neonwraith
Credits: 109,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggy View Post
I am a vegetarian by birth. I don’t take honey or dairy products. I am healthy and happy that I don’t harm any animals.
NO you're a vegetarian SINCE birth. I am a Vegevore (someone with a predominantly vegetarian diet but who eats meat and enjoys it). Humanity are naturally omnivorous and therefore should be eating meat if we're talking about a diet 'as nature intended'. Nature being red in tooth and claw and all.

You can eat a healthy vegetarian diet. You can eat a healthy carnivorous diet. it's all about knowing what you need to put into your body to fuel it properly.

Neon
As much as if the deed were done.

If wishing damns us, you and I
Are damned to all our hearts content.
Come then we may at least enjoy
Some pleasure for our punishment..."

Sir Thomas More
Old 04-23-13   #174
Teetowl
Face in the Mist

Teetowl is on a distinguished road
Credits: 2,234
Going to write you a little joyous essay on this subject...

I am a peskitaran <<<Insert correct spelling in your mind here
And a freegan (I will eat meat if it is out of a bin OR being thrown away so the animal has not died in vain, Yus I am guilty of bin diving free food! Meat dose give me the shits now though my tummy REALLY struggles to the point my ass spits at the toilet)

I will take this into many different sections for you to bobble your mind over but all based on views I own and some things you may not of thought about or knew about.

I eat fish that has not been farmed and 99% fish which has not been overly farmed,
I don't really like the idea of the way our farm animals are treat so try my best to reduce or not eat at all

Eggs
Dairy
Meat
Fish

One thing I just cant reduce cause It's just too god dam hard

Cheese

I have read on here arguments of free range which many people think is better... this is not nessarly true I used to goto farms back in Nottinghamshire and find ones that have some chickens running around outside I would WANT/DEMAND to go with the farmer the first time round to collect the egg from the chickens and see them in there barns.. sounds OTT? No it really is not the amount of farms I found that had grim environments claiming to be free range was quite a shock.

Would you Nom the shit out of one of these chicky poos? Or how about some Chick Period?

There is also some problems with how long hens lay eggs for? What happens when that hen is having its menopause as a female if I started my menopause I would not want to be chopped up for it!
Chickens are one of the most abused animals on this planet if not THE most abused

Ok, So let's pretend all animals are treat with amazing joyful ways all is well with there treatment or it might be you don't give a shit... The next problem which comes is this..

How are we feeding these animals?

It is believed that around the size of a football field of amazon rainforest is chopped down every second it is also believed that more than 90% of the space since 1970 is used for livestock pastures

You have to consider that 16 pound of grain is equivalent to creating ONE pound of beef.

Have you ever herd of any death of a cow due to starvation in a farm? Why is it that a child dies of hunger every 2.3 seconds? Sounds a little messed up. It is argued that over 700 million tons of grain is fed to live stock per year.. which is supposedly able to solve world hunger 14 times over.

So lets look at how overwhelming and how shocking it is to create beef.

1 hector of land can produce potatoes for 22 people.. Beef for 1 person see how this is just insane!

19,737 Liters are needed to create one pound of beef. I would not like to carry that amount of water somewhere would you?

There is another argument too... Greenhouse gases, I do think its also a bit crappy of us as a apparently "higher than thou species" to not give a crap about a cow till it farts but here we go..
Out of all the trucks, cars, aeroplanes, taxes on petrol so on.. Meat makes the MOST greenhouse gases 40% more than transportation.. so them nutty science wackos say.

Livestock in the USA alone managed to crap out 130 times more than the human population in the world. THATS A LOT OF POOP! I read that if people in the USA had one meat free day a week it be the equivalent of taking 8 million cars off USA road..

Ok.. So still don't give a toss? OR you do but just can't cook for shit.

Seitan and learning how to cook is the way forward! I found since I quit meats my tastebuds changed, my sense of smell and general happiness I no longer feel exhausted when I wake up in the morning! my depression has decreased it is has been quite strange ride the past 2 years.

So MOCK DUCK also known as seitan is created from vital wheat gluten you can create some amazing types of mock meats with this.. Ok so my BBQ ribz came out like bread the other days but it don't always happen in such a way I made some fantastic burgers which were very convincing

IS IT MEAT?

I have not quite mastered vital wheat gluten to the quality of Japanese restaurants around here but I think its a really big eye opener since I discovered it..

There is also Tofu and Quorn which I am sure you have all herd of.
Yeah some veggy stuff tastes like cardboard turd lips that I don't think I would even feed to my dog but there is stuff out there that is not only quite convincing but also very tasty. It also depends on how long you cook it and best of all if you're a festival goer like me then fear not of food poisoning!

Mushroom are a good meaty substitute if I cannot be simply arsed/unable to offered any fancy fake meat I always go with the shrooms!

Ok I am going to do a post separately from this with some recipes including a Vegan Cake/ Cookies
Old 04-24-13   #175
Teetowl
Face in the Mist

Soft Vegan Cookies;

I make amazing vegan cookies I don't really follow a recipe I just pour it in.. If your not vegan thats fine but its easy to make it vegan.

First put your oven on at 175oC (Mine is a fan oven)

Get some margarine OR butter melt it in the microwave then pour some brown suger IT HAS TO BE BROWN the butter should still be visible then pour about 1/4 of what you put in for the brown as you did with the white, Stir it until you cant see any melted butter at the edges, If you have still got some melted butter floating onto after stirring for around 5 mins and been doing it PROPERLY then put a little more brown in.

Then get some self raising flour sieve it in as quite high up sturing it as you put it in it will start to form and stiffen but it still should be quite moist, If its sloppy you need more flour in. DO NOT TAP THE SIDE OF THE BOWL! Also be careful when your sturing it you dont want the air to escape.

When you feel like you have almost put enough flour in pour in some dark chocolate, nuts or what ever you want in these here cookies. DO NOT PAT THEM IN, Think of the AIR THE AIR!!

Grease up a baking tray or if you cant be arsed to clean up after yourself some grease proof paper will do fine I wipe some butter on mine with some kitchen roll then shake some flour around it, then just blob a little bit of cookie mix on the tray, it don't matter if its not a ball dont pat it or anything else because it will kind of melt in a fashion.

Stick them in the oven checking back every 5 mins as SOON as they start to brown take them out the edges will go hard they will also flatten.. and they will have expanded outwards, If you have them on your grease paper just pull it out and leave it on the side to cool they will be VERY floppy and harden in around 10-15 mins but the insides are still moist and delicious.

I like these WAY more than cookies with eggs

Last edited by Teetowl; 04-24-13 at 13:30. Reason: Word mistakes.
Old 04-24-13   #176
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Neat recipes, I like a variety of foods, I steer away from meat because it is bad for me, but I do have alot of turkey or fish in my diet. I really dont like alot of vegetables like salad and crap like that, i like more high-energy foods like nuts, rice, beans, grains, etc. I think it's a personal choice and I don't get all bent out of shape when I eat some chicken. It sucks, I have seen some tyson farm stuff up close and personal, (and smelled it and heard it), but I buy my chicken at whole foods mart where I know it's organic and GMO-free. It's definitely not the same as vowing off meats and dairy, but it's a nice compromise, and I don't usually mess with dairy anyways. When I saw this picture I immediately thought off a jail barracks LOL. Sucks that it is exactly what it is. Anyways I had to cross the line and draw a picture about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eggz.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	42384  
Old 04-24-13   #177
Teetowl
Face in the Mist

Although salmons over fished I sometimes buy it if its in the reduced section (I got some for 50p one time Hell to the Yeah!) There is a really nice smoked paprika recipe
http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Reci...d-Spinach.aspx

As for the easiest vegan food recipe it has to be a vegan chilli

Get a big pan, get a ton of vedge, such as grated carrot, kidney beans, black beans, sweetcorn, mushrooms, potatoes, onions, soya protein chunks and some tins of chopped tomato

Chuck them all in a pan and put on a high heat for around 3-4 mins then put your spices in such as garlic powder, chilli powder, chilli seeds, tobasco saurce, dried herbs, couple of tea spoons of soy sauce what ever your feeling

Put on a very low heat giving it a stur every 5-10 mins give it a taste every now and again to see if you need more of any spices or even some salt.

Cook some rice, bread what ever you want to go with it if your like me and like to keep busy while in the kitchen.. A good thing I find is wedges, small potatoes with mint, garlic mushrooms so on.

SERVE AND NOM!

Here is a list of some things I have cooked and enjoyed that are vegan.. Off the top of my head.. I will add to this as I remember

Vegan Cheese cake;
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od...Cheesecake.htm
Vegan pancakes;
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/9076/vegan-pancakes.aspx
Banana Bread!;
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od...ead_recipe.htm
Vegan Dumplings;
http://www.veganchef.com/dumplings.htm
Vegan Pie < Can put anything in this really;
http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...inach-pie.aspx

Things I have not mastered yet but tried...
BBQ Spare Ribz;
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/05...itan-ribz.html
Home made Seitan (Mock Duck);
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...SEITAN-1220052
Old 04-24-13   #178
neonwraith
Voice of Unerring Reason

neonwraith
Credits: 109,035
I tried making a Vegan cake once and had real issues with the lack of fat, eggs and milk.

I do get annoyed by militants. Especially the ones who called me a corpse cruncher for eating animals so I belittled them for eating mushroom sandwiches from out of loaves of bread as yeast is more animal then plant (as are mushrooms).

if you're going to follow a diet for reasons with some sort of ethical stance. Understand your subject matter before you go on the offensive or someone WILL make you look like a tit.

Neon
As much as if the deed were done.

If wishing damns us, you and I
Are damned to all our hearts content.
Come then we may at least enjoy
Some pleasure for our punishment..."

Sir Thomas More
Old 04-25-13   #179
Teetowl
Face in the Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwraith View Post
I tried making a Vegan cake once and had real issues with the lack of fat, eggs and milk.

I do get annoyed by militants. Especially the ones who called me a corpse cruncher for eating animals so I belittled them for eating mushroom sandwiches from out of loaves of bread as yeast is more animal then plant (as are mushrooms).

if you're going to follow a diet for reasons with some sort of ethical stance. Understand your subject matter before you go on the offensive or someone WILL make you look like a tit.

Neon
Yeah, I don't shout at people for eating meat it's peoples choice. They have to want to do it for themselves, animals well any reason as long as its not because they have been bullied into it!

I find Its very much the other way around I get stick for NOT EATING MEAT.. the conversation consists of;

Idiot; You don't eat bacon?
Me; No
Idiot; HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE BACON
Me; Its not about not liking bacon or the taste of meat I do it for political reasons
Idiot; But bacons soo good were suppose to eat meat
Me; Where dose it say anywhere that we are suppose to eat meat?
Idiot; We just are!, You are too skinny get some burgers down you, you'll get ill
Me; *Sigh*

At that point I give up I hate people who argue with me who have no valid argument, See I don't mind if it be some sort of intellectual or even DIFFERENT conversation but if I got a pound for every time someone told me to eat bacon I don't think I would have to work another day of my life.

As for Vegan cake you need to let the soya milk curdle in vingar first for around half an hour I assure you its the best cake you will ever munch!

I have yet to meet a vegetarian or vegan to call me names for eating animals or animal produce.
Old 04-25-13   #180
Clearwitch
Runaway
Overlord

Clearwitch is on a distinguished road
Credits: 237,588
Maybe it'll help if you stop hanging around idiots?