Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Vegetarianism

Old 06-27-08   #101
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifesto View Post
im starting to feel alot better about this whole veg-thing... the smell of meat is still enticing but if I think about it for a second it becomes really unappealing.
That sounds almost like how I quit smoking.
Old 06-28-08   #102
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~G~ View Post
Most of the food in major supermarkets is crap anyway.
Actually a lot of major grocery stores are beginning to carry alot of organic and nutrition foods due to the high demand. The nutrition sections in our store alone have seen over 60% growth in sales every year for several years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08   #103
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
Tell that to the closest grocery store to my house in the next town over (it's an A&P). Considering where I live you'd think they'd already have a clue...I'm not surprised due to town in which it's actually located. As far as what they carry being at all organic or even natural or health-oriented, the majority of it isn't, and forget about the produce...I'm convinced they either keep the fruit and veggies in store until they start to go bad and then put them out or that the employees play touch football with the fruit when the store is closed. I'll pick up water or something frozen or an occasional apple or onion when I go there but most of the time I don't like to shop for most of my food there. I head for the vegetable markets or to Whole Foods when I can. Otherwise I'd have to go there but I got lucky and they renovated another store that is just a few blocks further so I would rather shop there. It saves me from having to ride/drive very far elsewhere to get my groceries. We also have a weekly open-air farmers' market in town that happens downtown at the train station parking lot between May and October. Unfortunately it's on Wednesdays so I usually can't make it since I'm working but I have off this week so I may go down there.

I wish we had more space in our yard too...we're growing some great stuff this year and I'm enjoying the gardening and looking forward to tasting the fruits (well, actually the vegetables) of our labor.
Old 06-29-08   #104
Zelos
lo ucciderò con fuoco

Zelos is on a distinguished road
Credits: 12,583
I tried the whole vegetarian thing for like a few weeks, but my meat addiction took over.

If you can do it, more power to ya. I have mad respect for vegans.

Old 06-05-09   #105
Mia~ow
Dark Misanthrope

Mia~ow will become famous soon enoughMia~ow will become famous soon enough
Credits: -2,625
Well, I've been vegetarian for over a year now. I haven't died from lack of iron or malnutrition, I haven't become obese due to the excess consumation of cheese. I don't feel like I've substituted religious deprivation for meat abstination as I'm not religious anyway, I don't feel the need to join PETA (I appreciate human life too!), and I don't feel the need to preach to those who do eat meat.

It's personal choice. Live and let live.
Old 06-06-09   #106
Uncletiggs
DF's Dirty 'ol Man
Admin

Uncletiggs will become famous soon enough
Credits: 218,114
glad your back...

But i'm still havin my ribs when i want's to eat them!

Nice guys finish last
It isn't just a saying.. It's a fact of life!

Those things that produced your ex......you know, the bitchmakers! Metagion

If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is it considered rape or shoplifting?

You're not who you are, you're only what other people think you are

Your more Delusional than you think I am! {Duck Dodgers}
Old 11-30-09   #107
SereFemme
Falling Angel

SereFemme
Credits: 3,043
Yay for going veggie! I've been a vegetarian for over a year now and don't have any glaring health problems that I didn't have before I became one. In fact, some of my health problems have resolved since the change, like IBS (meat allergy). I still eat fish sometimes, but I feel guilty afterward. Flesh is for the carnivores... Hope you're having as much fun with it as I have. I think it makes you more creative in the kitchen.
Old 12-04-09   #108
Shalrath
Face in the Mist

Shalrath is on a distinguished road
Credits: 2,899
My sister is a vegetarian, has been for about 12 years if I'm not mistaken. Flawless medical record, except maybe some periodic illness the type of flu or just common cold. The thing I'm most interested about is something else:

People that cease to eat meat because of the animal cruelty. I'm wondering how on one side they can point out that animals are butchered in often terrible conditions, like in a meat factory, and yet remain completely oblivious about plants being butchered? I mean plants are living organisms right? So an average veggie comes over to his lil' garden and decides he/she wants to eat this and that. What does he/she do? Take a knife and slice a portion off while the plant is still alive. Or grab a little branch and tear it away, releasing the juicy contents, exposing the plant to insects and other threats, relieving the plant of some vital parts. Or maybe rip the entire plant out of the ground, clean it, and while it's still alive, throw it into a pot with boiling water? What kind of inhumane treatment is this? I realize that plants do not have a centralized nervous system like a brain, but as much as we can't prove animals have/don't have a soul, we can't argue whether plants feel or don't feel pain.

Now I understand there is a fair dose of cruelty in nature; carnivores hunting and eating herbivores - all the pain, gore, suffering, we've all seen national geographic or animal planet; herbivores eating plants, a LOT of plants, sometimes cleaning entire patches of grass. That's all fine since it's in the nature.
What about humans that grow and cultivate plants for the sole purpose of eating them? Isn't it the same thing as meat factory: multiply, grow, kill, sell? Cut down on the costs, cram everything into small area for best gain/cost ratio?
Again, my point isn't to tell people not to eat anything, obviously we need to eat to survive. My point is to show people that using arguments such as animal cruelty is a wrong way of justifying your culinary choices.
If it comes to animals they are believed to be aware, at least to a certain extent, of their future fate, especially in meat factories. But plants? The fact they have no means of showing us any sign of their will to live does not necessarily mean they don't care.

Personally I'm eating both meat and plant-based foods, but I just fail to understand the motivations of so many people, saying cruelty to animals is the reason they choose to cease eating meat. It's just a moral dualism. I completely understand people that simply don't like meat or for health reasons don't eat it, but if you want some moral justification then at least be consequent.
"Three Swiss witch-bitches, which wished to be switched Swiss witch-bitches, watch three Swiss Swatch watch switches. Which Swiss witch-bitch, which wishes to be a switched Swiss witch-bitch, wishes to watch which Swiss Swatch watch switch?"

Author Unknown (let me know if you know who wrote this)

Last edited by Shalrath; 12-04-09 at 04:01.
Old 12-04-09   #109
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,471,204
We can, in fact, prove that plants don't feel pain. Their lack of a nervous system is a pretty damn good indicator that they aren't feeling shit.

Old 12-04-09   #110
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 4,723
I've been vegetarian for lo almost a week. I'm planning to keep this up until I get to 200 lb., but I dunno. Meat is pretty delicious.

I am, however, trying to give up pork for moral reasons. Pigs are just too goddamn smart, it creeps me out to eat a problem-solving animal.
Old 12-04-09   #111
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,471,204
But they are the most delicious animal.

Why would you want to limit yourself and remove the option of all the many delicious foods that the world has to offer? Thats my biggest problem with vegetarianism. Food is the best way to experience another culture, the best way to socialize with strangers is over a meal... I would hate to be the guy to turn it away because of some crazy moral obligation to a creature that would gladly eat me were the tables turned.

Old 12-04-09   #112
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 4,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g View Post
But they are the most delicious animal.
The longer the pig, the tastier the bacon.

Quote:
Why would you want to limit yourself and remove the option of all the many delicious foods that the world has to offer? Thats my biggest problem with vegetarianism. Food is the best way to experience another culture, the best way to socialize with strangers is over a meal... I would hate to be the guy to turn it away because of some crazy moral obligation to a creature that would gladly eat me were the tables turned.
Health reasons. Monetary reasons. Environmentalist reasons (consuming a pound of meat is, what, the equivalent of consuming something like 30 pounds of grain?)
Old 12-23-09   #113
Cliftoncol
Banned from DF

Cliftoncol is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,447
Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, and poultry. Vegans are vegetarians who abstain from eating or using all animal products, including milk, cheese and leather. Among the many reasons for being a vegetarian are health, ecological, and religious concerns, belief in non-violence, and economics.
Old 12-23-09   #114
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 654,952
Yeah that's a spammer.

Old 12-23-09   #115
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Huzzah. Hey didn't sanjay post a thread recently? I can't find it. Something about blu-ray. Am I going crazy?

Old 12-23-09   #116
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

What happened to the thread? I don't think it can count as spamming when you own the place.

Old 12-26-09   #117
renovate
Dark Thrall

renovate is on a distinguished road
Credits: 80,475
methinks vegetarianism is good for making people weak willed and suggestible to propoganda I make sure to eat the tasty tasty flesh of my distant distant cousins the barnyard animals at least once a week.

|
|
|

|reno|
Old 12-28-09   #118
Manic Muffin
Face in the Mist

Manic Muffin is on a distinguished road
Credits: 1,881
I love almost every animal...notice I said almost. The exception being cockroaches and other creepy crawlies that weird me out...including the whale in Pinocchio..but that movie was just scary IMO.

Anyways, the various and vast advancements in technology, and ultimately in health has been exceptional in the last twenty years or so. We now have little pills we can take that virtually keep us alive when we're lacking the proper nutrition in our diet. I'm a firm believer of 'Waste not, want not'-- meaning whatever you kill, you consume as much of, whatever you buy, you've not just thrown money away..etc.

I personally have a taste for FRESH fruits and veggies as meat upsets my digestive system terribly. However that does NOT stop me from chowing down on a piece of cow every so often.

Becoming a vegetarian is a significant lifestyle change that you can only find the answer from within yourself.

Will you continue to consume milk and other dairy products? How about eggs or beans? Will you eat fish?

I say try it out for awhile and see what best fits you. Trial by error.

And if you should ever meet an ordinary black cat, you'll soon discover just how extraordinarily unordinary they are.
Old 03-17-10   #119
evilkitty
Naugty LiL Kitty

evilkitty will become famous soon enoughevilkitty will become famous soon enough
Credits: 100,603
I am not vegetarian but i try to stay away from eating meat as much as possible. Vegetarian diet make you feel good and is the key looking youthful

Old 03-29-10   #120
Bartolino
The Exorcist IV

Bartolino
Credits: 9,402
Vegetarian ? Me ?.-..........no , we are here to eat childs !

PRAY ! PRAY !...till you can ! Because i will be mercyless !