Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Vegetarianism

Old 06-24-08   #81
Manifesto
Biggest Dick Contest Winner
Admin

Manifesto is on a distinguished road
Credits: 95,982
Ive been thinking about going lacto-ovo-veg for health reasons, but I am concerned about a couple of things:

1. my supposed calorie intake is 2500-2850 daily (for my weight) - how the fuck am I supposed to consume that many calories from veg foods?

2. im concerned that I will need to pump myself full of supplements to stay healthy.

3. I see the vegetarian foods at the store and they are generally quite expensive - how can I do this for the same price as my current omnivorous diet (or less).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You're my bitch, Bitch. You'll do exactly what I tell you.

<3,

WL
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08   #82
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

~G~ is on a distinguished road
Credits: 93,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifesto View Post
Ive been thinking about going lacto-ovo-veg for health reasons, but I am concerned about a couple of things:

1. my supposed calorie intake is 2500-2850 daily (for my weight) - how the fuck am I supposed to consume that many calories from veg foods?

2. im concerned that I will need to pump myself full of supplements to stay healthy.

3. I see the vegetarian foods at the store and they are generally quite expensive - how can I do this for the same price as my current omnivorous diet (or less).

1. It's possible. If you are eating dairy, they tend to have a lot of calories and do nut products and seeds (these are high in protein and other good stuff too). If you can't do it right away, try eating only extra lean beef when you choose beef and/or getting yourself down to just poultry and seafood. It's better for you and easier on your body to adjust if you do it in steps over a longer period rather than just stopping eating things. Anyway, it's possible. Look at that guy Jim Morris who is a bodybuilder who looks about in his 40's but is in his 70's and eats nothing but fruit, beans, nuts and veggies.

2. One reason that keeps a lot of people away from vegetarianism or even just eating healthier is that it is a major lifestyle change and takes a little more thinking and work to eat better, at least till you get used to it. The fact is that if you keep your body clean, consume a decent amount of fiber and water and especially if you learn about food combining, you won't really need to take supplements because your body will be digesting and absorbing the nutrients from your food more efficiently. There is a good site that puts food combining in a nutshell that I know of; PM me or post if you'd like to me to give you the link.

3. Yeah, eating organic can be more expensive like six had mentioned but it's worth it in many instances. Some things you can get away with not having organic but when you do try shopping in places like the vegetable markets rather than the supermarkets for better buys. Stay away from a lot of processed crap, and remember it's about quality not quantity.

Last edited by ~G~; 06-24-08 at 14:58.
Old 06-25-08   #83
Manifesto
Admin

So yesterday, after lunch, I decided to give it a try - I am now on my first full day of lacto-ovo-vegetarianism. Honestly, I don't give a shit about animal rights... but I want to lose some weight and become healthier in general.

I went to the cafeteria at my work this morning and was tempted by all kinds of bacon and sausage.... but I stayed strong and got a veggie omelet and fresh fruit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<3,

WL
Old 06-25-08   #84
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Quote:
So yesterday, after lunch, I decided to give it a try - I am now on my first full day of lacto-ovo-vegetarianism. Honestly, I don't give a shit about animal rights... but I want to lose some weight and become healthier in general.

I went to the cafeteria at my work this morning and was tempted by all kinds of bacon and sausage.... but I stayed strong and got a veggie omelet and fresh fruit.
Good for you! I hope it works out well.

Personally, I am into vegetarianism partly due to my reverence of life, I'm just not off the wall enough to join PETA and assault other human beings to prove it.
Old 06-25-08   #85
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~G~ View Post
Good for you! I hope it works out well.

Personally, I am into vegetarianism partly due to my reverence of life, I'm just not off the wall enough to join PETA and assault other human beings to prove it.

PETA just got mad because they shot some bothersome pigeons at a tennis match, come on now, they are flying rats PETA is so fucking full of itself they stink.

S.O.D.

Old 06-25-08   #86
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Well, I wouldn't be happy about people shooting pigeons but I also wouldn't track those people down the next day and shoot holes in their houses. Hence my PETA-lessness.
Old 06-26-08   #87
Manifesto
Admin

like I said, im not a eco-terrorist.... and animals are exactly that, animals.

back to the original topic - I ate really healthy yesterday, but about 3:30pm I started getting really lightheaded and tired. I went home and ate some broccolli and I was good to go - wtf?

<3,

WL
Old 06-26-08   #88
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Uhm...maybe you were hungry?

Good choice. Broccoli's a good source of calcium, btw.
Old 06-26-08   #89
Manifesto
Admin

it was worse than any hunger I had ever felt - my whole body was weak, and I had eaten lunch @ 11:30 that day.

<3,

WL
Old 06-26-08   #90
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't be happy about people shooting pigeons but I also wouldn't track those people down the next day and shoot holes in their houses. Hence my PETA-lessness.
Birds are birds, pigeons are not exactly going extinct and they shit on everything, I see no reason not to shoot a few now and again.

They were interfering in a sporting match and so they shot them.

We get a bird or two in our store every once in abit and we always kill them to get them the hell out(you ever try to catch a pissed off bird--can be done but easier to kill them) due to the unhealthy conditions of having a bird flyng around a grocery store

S.O.D.

Old 06-26-08   #91
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
it was worse than any hunger I had ever felt - my whole body was weak, and I had eaten lunch @ 11:30 that day.
Your body will take a while to adapt to a meat free diet. Some days you will feel like hell.

S.O.D.

Old 06-26-08   #92
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Quote:
That's why in earlier posts we/I said, "Don't do it like that!" Not to mention that if you clean everything up abruptly and aren't used it you'll start detoxing and that can make you feel VERY icky as Dyshade mentioned. Maybe try cutting the meat down to a few time a month or eating chicken and fish instead of beef for a while and see if that helps. Hope you feel better.
Old 06-26-08   #93
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshade View Post
Birds are birds, pigeons are not exactly going extinct and they shit on everything, I see no reason not to shoot a few now and again.

They were interfering in a sporting match and so they shot them.

We get a bird or two in our store every once in abit and we always kill them to get them the hell out(you ever try to catch a pissed off bird--can be done but easier to kill them) due to the unhealthy conditions of having a bird flyng around a grocery store
Do what you will. I would trap it and let it outside, but that's me.
Old 06-27-08   #94
Manifesto
Admin

Ive been feeling better since then, I have upped my calorie intake and I am keeping grape juice and trailmix at my desk if I need a pick-me-up.

<3,

WL
Old 06-27-08   #95
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Sounds like you're not doing too badly...grape juice and trail mix have more nutrients than a lot of other stuff you could be consuming for pick-me-up's.
Old 06-27-08   #96
Manifesto
Admin

im starting to feel alot better about this whole veg-thing... the smell of meat is still enticing but if I think about it for a second it becomes really unappealing.

<3,

WL
Old 06-27-08   #97
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
Do what you will. I would trap it and let it outside, but that's me.
And the whole time you were trying to trap it, it would be shitting on groceries and the open olive bar and the cheese and the sandwiches. So in trapping it you would despoil a few hundred dollars of food

Easier and more cost effective to use a penny or so pellet and shoot it in the head and dispose of the body.

S.O.D.

Old 06-27-08   #98
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
im starting to feel alot better about this whole veg-thing... the smell of meat is still enticing but if I think about it for a second it becomes really unappealing.
That is what got me, the smell of cooking meat. I was a vegetarian for almost 7 years and than went to an outdoor BBQ

I did NOT feel good after that but my mouth was watering for one of those wieners and a nice burnt burger

S.O.D.

Old 06-27-08   #99
The Fool
Court Jester

The Fool is on a distinguished road
Credits: 5,944
tried the veggi thing once. then was out with the family while they grilled. the salad and baked potato were good but you just can't say no to a 3 inch steak that covers a dinner plate, brown on the outside and still bloody on the inside. i can't do it. i got to have my meat.
Old 06-27-08   #100
~G~
Cosmic Fire Dancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshade View Post
And the whole time you were trying to trap it, it would be shitting on groceries and the open olive bar and the cheese and the sandwiches. So in trapping it you would despoil a few hundred dollars of food

Easier and more cost effective to use a penny or so pellet and shoot it in the head and dispose of the body.
Most of the food in major supermarkets is crap anyway.