Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page GM Soldiers

Old 06-16-03   #1
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Feroluce is on a distinguished road
Credits: 99,822
GM Soldiers

Is genetically enhancing individuals to the end of making them better soldiers a good idea?

Forces could be sent into battle and the government were sure that there would be no casualties on their side but the enemy would be wiped out.

Would this make it too easy for politicians to make the decision to send in troops?

Would you sign up to be "enhanced"?

Would a social stigma be attached to these "enhanced" individuals?

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-03   #2
RedMeat
Sweet Zombie Jesus

RedMeat will become famous soon enoughRedMeat will become famous soon enough
Credits: 311,095
Havent you ever read Rouge Trooper? All the answers are there. As soon as they out live their usefulness the chances are that they`ll have to be destroyed.
Not that I wouldnt want geneticaly enhaced ablities.

Darkness squeezes, Satan`s platypus rises tonight! Bork, bork, bork!
Old 06-16-03   #3
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
where's solid snake when we need him... damn you liquid... damn you to hell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 06-16-03   #4
godesita
Mistress of Meep

Location: in a padded room at Mistress Bunny's house of slightly fevered repute, Red Light District, The Vatican, Rome.
godesita
Credits: 3,424
lovely as the thought may be, thankfully we dont need to worry about this yet as we just dont have the abilities required to make this possible.

still, assuming it was possible, there's the question of whether you're breeding an entire race of soldiers and therefore abolishing their free will, or whether you're asking for adult volunteers, which ethically is a lot nicer, but scientifically a lot more difficult, since the genetic code is a lot easier to fiddle with before birth.

personally i'd love to be genetically enhanced. as it is i'm getting my structure messed with in a rather more direct route, with a bone grafting operation coming up. boy do i wish they could fix that with just an injection of genes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-19-03   #5
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,393
At this stage in the game, genetic enhancement of an adult is a practical impossibility. In order to insert a gene into an individual, you have to perform the same genetic manipulation to every cell in the organism's body. Hence the reason that most experimentation is initially done on single-celled organisms.

If anything, they'd have to start genetically engineered soldiers from scratch, and do the enhancements on fertilized eggs.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 06-20-03   #6
MuShRooMHeAd
Worthless Sac of Organs

MuShRooMHeAd
Credits: 3,195
Just tonight I was watching the discovery channel ( shhhh ). And it was a program about superheroes' powers and the possibility of them. The first segment I saw was about the Hulk and if being that big is possible, and guess what....... it IS. They've already done it successfully to mice, They become 40% larger ( in bone struc. and muscle mass ) than the average mouse, AND STAY THAT WAY for the REST of their LIVES. Unlike human bodybuilders whose muscle mass turns to fat after age 50 usually. The GM works by disguising itself as a"virus" and "infecting" every cell in the body. They predict that in less that 30 years they'll be able to do this to humans, turning them into 10 foot tall, half-ton behemoths of lean muscle mass and pure brute strength. Were talking tanker powerlifters. Not quite The Incredible Hulk, but it's close enough for me to be the first in line, but I'll be damned if they try to use me for something as expendable as a soldier.
DarkThrone
Old 06-20-03   #7
Kain424
Death to Hollywood

Kain424 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 90,483
That rocks. I'd like to be altered and become superstrong and all that good stuff...although if everybody did it...what would be the point?

Old 06-20-03   #8
Blind Pugh
Red Herring.

Blind Pugh is on a distinguished road
Credits: 81,071
Quote:
Originally posted by RedMeat
Havent you ever read Rouge Trooper? All the answers are there. As soon as they out live their usefulness the chances are that they`ll have to be destroyed.
Not that I wouldnt want geneticaly enhaced ablities.
Fr1day??

That you?
Old 06-20-03   #9
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Location: at home getting hammered while shes out getting nailed
Dirge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,744
Well having been in the military and having trained recruits if it makes them any better at drill I say go for it!!

I SAID LEFT GOD DAMN IT! NO FUCK STICKS YOUR OTHER LEFT!!!!
Old 06-23-03   #10
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirge
Well having been in the military and having trained recruits if it makes them any better at drill I say go for it!!

I SAID LEFT GOD DAMN IT! NO FUCK STICKS YOUR OTHER LEFT!!!!
Can't make them too intelligent. They might start thinking for themselves...

Old 06-23-03   #11
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowborn
Can't make them too intelligent. They might start thinking for themselves...

I would disagree, a soldier has to have a degree of personal initiative. To blindly follow orders is folly, at the sharp end the plan can change in a blink of an eye and the section commander has to be able to adapt, to the imediate situation while accomplishing the overall mission. This any way is Brit/Canadian doctrine we plan from the ground up and focused on small unit tactics. I would suppose that a GM soldier would have the doctrinal knowledge of his army hard wired into his brain, be he a machine like motorised trooper or special operations soldier.

Also here is something to think about, the drug Ephedra was developed by NATO in the 80's to keep soldiers awake on excercises!
Old 06-23-03   #12
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirge
I would disagree, a soldier has to have a degree of personal initiative. To blindly follow orders is folly, at the sharp end the plan can change in a blink of an eye and the section commander has to be able to adapt, to the imediate situation while accomplishing the overall mission. This any way is Brit/Canadian doctrine we plan from the ground up and focused on small unit tactics. I would suppose that a GM soldier would have the doctrinal knowledge of his army hard wired into his brain, be he a machine like motorised trooper or special operations soldier.

Also here is something to think about, the drug Ephedra was developed by NATO in the 80's to keep soldiers awake on excercises!
Damn, remind me never to try and use a facetious quip on you again...

Old 06-24-03   #13
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Hey no worries bro!
Old 06-29-03   #14
icy
Classy Lassy

icy is on a distinguished road
Credits: 73,189
If this did come through wouldn't it be slightly terrifying if they did decide to change sides? If they kept free will and we'll say America went off and did this but say Russia offers them something better...they could change sides and wipe out America instead of their enemies. It sounds like something a little too dangerous and risky to actually meddle with. If we were too take their will and they were to blindly follow orders...who or what would be the thing that they followed? Would that persons voice have to be almost programmed into them so they'd know it always? What if that person dies? Then the whole troop could become useless....and if not programmed in their head..then what? No doesn't sound like a good idea unless we want total world destruction..mmhmm...