Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Entertainment
Reload this Page Deathrock

Old 04-25-03   #41
vampira666
Lurks in the Shadows

vampira666
Credits: 3,230
You are into labeling music a bit too much kid..........
Old 04-25-03   #42
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,573
Quote:
Originally posted by random#
Electronic Body Music (sometimes Electronic Beat Music) is something that came from the band Front 242. Today it describes the less harsh, more danceable Industrial bands that don't fall into the Synthpop subgenre. Bands with a sound similar to Covenant, Front Line Assembly and VNV Nation.
.[/size]
Ahhhhhh...... how can you profane the memory of Caberet Voltaire like that...... Front 242 kicks ass mind you.... but Caberet Voltaire were doing EBM long before that term came into popular usage.... they were doing it in '78 for chrissakes.... of course they did not become popular until they released Sensoria later on in '83...... give 'em a listen....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03   #43
random#
omg!!!1

random#
Credits: 29,260
Front 242 was the first band to use the term EBM to describe their music.
I've heard only one Caberet Voltaire song, and it was alright.
Old 04-25-03   #44
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,493
Front 242 were pretty cool, although I tired of them after awhile. They rather reminded me of the Scorpions of their genre. Same old shit...over and over again.

I feel this way on DF...a lot.
Old 04-25-03   #45
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Front 242 was the first band to use the term EBM to describe their music.
I've heard only one Caberet Voltaire song, and it was alright.
Ahhh.. see there you are wrong.... Caberet Voltaire called themselves Electronic Beat Music in 1982..... before that they considered themselves "groovy"... lol.... but whatever floats your boat.... Front 242 is a very good band.... yet so is Caberet Voltaire... go listen.... I recomend thier stuff.... especially the song sensoria or nag nag nag.... excellent stuff....

S.O.D.

Old 04-25-03   #46
vampira666
Lurks in the Shadows

vampira666
How did this turn into an EBM thread? UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-03   #47
Consternatio
Anatomically Correct

Consternatio is on a distinguished road
Credits: 37,674
Quote:
Yeah. But I get laid every other day. And I'm way cool. I even have too many friends... Like you for example.

Yeah, EBM and Electro-Indusrial are essentially the same thing. There are some subtle differences.. but it's more like "this band is, this band isn't"

Rob Zombie, White Zombie, Static-X, Powerman 5000 and that type of "heavy rock with drippy electro type stuff" fall into the the heavier side of what's called "Coldwave"
But, damn.. I just call 'em techno metal because I don't care.

I have NEVER heard that before, lol. I'll take your word for it, I just never would've thought "coldwave".

Old 04-25-03   #48
random#
omg!!!1

random#
Credits: 29,260
I don't know anything about the technical classifications of coldwave or Rob Zombie, and I don't feel very right putting the two together. I guess I could also say "Indutrial Metal", which might fit better. I dunno.
Old 04-26-03   #49
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by vampira666
How did this turn into an EBM thread? UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
well... EBM is fun music is why..... as long as it ain't repetitive.....

Now as for Deathrock... if you wish to call it that.... though I favor the term over "gothic".... mainly because Gothic sounds so pansy.... there were probably three main bands that began all at around the same time..... one in S.F. Ca. USA..... Christian Death... (thier new stuff licks ass.... Valor is a fucking asshole... I have met both Rozz Williams and Valor... Rozz was a freak but he was real cool.... except for his pension for transvestites....)
than in England you had the Batcave crowd...... Alien Sex Fiend.... maybe not Deathrock but they were playing for the crowd.... Specimen.... defenitely Deathrock,,,,... saw them play live at One Step Beyond in Santa Clara Ca. in '87.... they put on one hell of a show.... hehe....

There is that more appropriate

S.O.D.

Old 04-26-03   #50
vampira666
Lurks in the Shadows

vampira666
I used to go to One Step Beyond back in the late 80's. I saw PiL and a bunch of bands there. Trippy...anyway!!! To me Deathrock is guitar oriented gothic music. What the kids call goth these days is all electronic stuff. I have never been a big fan of electronic music. I don't know why...I just haven't been.I never got to see Specimen but I did see Alien Sex Fiend in 92. That has to be one of the best shows that I have ever been to!! I have seen both Rozz Williams and Valor. Both of them have done good and shitty albums. I like both of them and I get a lot of shit for it.
Old 04-26-03   #51
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
I used to go to One Step Beyond back in the late 80's. I saw PiL and a bunch of bands there. Trippy...anyway!!! To me Deathrock is guitar oriented gothic music. What the kids call goth these days is all electronic stuff. I have never been a big fan of electronic music. I don't know why...I just haven't been.I never got to see Specimen but I did see Alien Sex Fiend in 92. That has to be one of the best shows that I have ever been to!! I have seen both Rozz Williams and Valor. Both of them have done good and shitty albums. I like both of them and I get a lot of shit for it.
So you lived in or around Santa Clara back than... hehe.. so did I

I used to goto One Step Beyond all the time..... do you remember the old mobile Club X????? before San Jose just about shut down every club along First St.......

S.O.D.

Old 04-26-03   #52
vampira666
Lurks in the Shadows

vampira666
I lived in Fremont. I first went to One Step Beyond on my 17th birthday. I was too young to go to clubs before 88 so I kinda missed out on a lot even though I listened to the music. I sooooo miss that club!! I used to go to The Twillight Zone in Alameda a lot cause it was all ages. I caught the tail end of the original deathrock/goth scene in the bay area. San Jose is such a yuppie cesspool. The Cactus Club closed last year.
Old 04-26-03   #53
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
I lived in Fremont. I first went to One Step Beyond on my 17th birthday. I was too young to go to clubs before 88 so I kinda missed out on a lot even though I listened to the music. I sooooo miss that club!! I used to go to The Twillight Zone in Alameda a lot cause it was all ages. I caught the tail end of the original deathrock/goth scene in the bay area. San Jose is such a yuppie cesspool. The Cactus Club closed last year.
They did... lol... I remember when they first started.... a friend of mine used to do flyers for them.... the cactus club that is.... Fremont eh??? hehe...

San Jose sucks now.... it used to be pretty cool in the early to late eighties.... I have not been there for about 10 or so years now.....
Did you ever goto any clubs in S.F.???

I used to work the door at the Lipps Underground in '89...... it was on Ninth and Howard.... crazy place that.... lol....

I saw The Thrill Kill Kult play there.... and I saw the Damned in '88 at The Stone on Broadway in S.F. .......

S.O.D.

Old 04-26-03   #54
vampira666
Lurks in the Shadows

vampira666
I moved to D.C. a little over two months ago,and before that I was in Portland so I haven't been to an SF club in almost a year. I did go to one place last year that played deathrock but I don't remember the name of it. The Cactus Club was in San Jose. I saw 7 Seconds and GBH both at the Stone!! GBH was my first punk show in 1989. That place was cool to see bands at cause it was so small. The parking sucked though!LOL! You used to work the door at the Underground? The one that was goth/deathrock?I was never old enough to get into that place when it was around. Actually,from what I remember, they kept changing the age limit and since I didn't drive I didn't want to be stuck there after it closed without a way home.
Old 04-26-03   #55
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
I moved to D.C. a little over two months ago,and before that I was in Portland so I haven't been to an SF club in almost a year. I did go to one place last year that played deathrock but I don't remember the name of it. The Cactus Club was in San Jose. I saw 7 Seconds and GBH both at the Stone!! GBH was my first punk show in 1989. That place was cool to see bands at cause it was so small. The parking sucked though!LOL! You used to work the door at the Underground? The one that was goth/deathrock?I was never old enough to get into that place when it was around. Actually,from what I remember, they kept changing the age limit and since I didn't drive I didn't want to be stuck there after it closed without a way home.
Yes... well... at one point Rocky the part owner and manager was busted for minors drinking in the club... so they lost the ability to have 18 and older in there for a bit.... but it came back... and on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays it was open from 9PMto9AM...... yeah the parking was a free for all at The Stone... I used to just park in the nieghborhood above it on the 45degree angle streets... or just walk there from where I lived on Oak and Fillmore..... they finally closed Underground because of too many junkie deaths.... the place was a haven for junkies.... mainly because when the undercovers showed up they had to let club management know and we would walk around and let everyone know that there was an undercover in the place..... hehe,,,.... damn pigs....

S.O.D.