Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page The Necromonicon
View Poll Results: The Necronomicon: solely a creation of fiction?
Yes, it did not exist before Lovecraft. 16 72.73%
No, it is an ancient magickal text. 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-01   #21
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,236
I do not know if the necronomicon is factual or not(perhaphs Xuldimious could tell us)...it appealed to me as all "taboo" subjects appeal to one when they are young. I find the text interesting, the patheon wonderful, and the culture a fascinating one. So dangerous and aggressive, danger is appealing and I have never desired to harm someone to that degree to have tried any of the methods listed. However I do believe the beliefs existed before Lovecraft created his version....the world may never know
Old 09-03-01   #22
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,573
There is no one alive today that can answer the questions of the Universe.... so I doubt very highly that you can show us any scientific proof dear Feroluce.... as for the Necro.... Lovecraft invented it as he did his entire Mythos.... it is amazing what we as humans can be led to believe.... The Necronomicon Does not exist except as a flight of fancy.... That Xuldemios guy was fairly correct in his assumptions as to where the most recent one came from though I think him nothing more than a loonie....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-01   #23
AAAAB

Ok, that's that one cleared up then, we can pack up shop now, chaps... Sorry Draco13 old buddy...
Old 09-03-01   #24
FallenGod
The Darkness Without

FallenGod
Credits: 11,016
OK I'm here.
Where's Cthulhu? He owes me 20 quid?
Old 09-03-01   #25
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

Guy_Person is on a distinguished road
Credits: 120,591
I feel dumb

Because I have a copy of a modern Alchemical handbook and it mentions it as written by the Arabian heretic "Alhazred" and the picture it uses is older than Lovecraft. Fignant of fantasy I suppose. Oh well. It also describes it as highly coveted by European Alchemists and despised by Middle Eastern ones. I never thought, even when I believed it existed, that it held the secrets mof the Universe, only merely the secrets of the dead. A sort of "dead book" that held the names of the most important dead beings, how to call upon them, how to bind them to your will and other such utter garbage.

Old 09-03-01   #26
AAAAB

Well Dyshade is the resident alchemist/fountain-of-all-knowledge and he says no, so...
Old 09-03-01   #27
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

So I'm obviously an idiot, right?

Dyshade always manages to make me feel dumb, but it just goes to show you what higher education is good for -- arguing with fifteen-year-olds. I also thought htat there was only one true copy, it didn't promise much, and it could perform even less. But that old publishers made copies that promised far more, and could perform far less in the interest of selling. Which would, I guess not make very much sense, considering that most people wsere suprememly superstitious and probably couldn;t read anyway. But I'm a teenager, and I still have an imagination.

Old 09-03-01   #28
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Re: So I'm obviously an idiot, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy_Person
Dyshade always manages to make me feel dumb, but it just goes to show you what higher education is good for -- arguing with fifteen-year-olds. I also thought htat there was only one true copy, it didn't promise much, and it could perform even less. But that old publishers made copies that promised far more, and could perform far less in the interest of selling. Which would, I guess not make very much sense, considering that most people wsere suprememly superstitious and probably couldn;t read anyway. But I'm a teenager, and I still have an imagination.
Boo!! I am sorry I do not mean it to go that way... I like to impart knowledge... elsewise I would just say hey there you are wrong... and that would be that... I do not hold a college degree of any sort.... I did go to college to become a Psychiatrist though I only went to about three or so semesters..... I decided that I would learn more on my own... which I have... of course society holds more value on a piece of paper then a persons actual knowledge... oh well.....

S.O.D.

Old 09-03-01   #29
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,236
Re: So I'm obviously an idiot, right?

Quote:
You take him all wrong. I have learned much from him, and respect that he knows more than I. Rather than be intimidated, ask him questions.
Old 09-03-01   #30
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

Well....

I agree totally, but it si an interesting story, don;t you think? Of an heretical muslim prophet who created a text so vile that he had to flee the Ottoman Empire entirely. And then went insane when he realized what he had created.

Old 09-03-01   #31
Xuldemios
Xu-Xsurra-Ni

Xuldemios
Credits: 41,349
Re: Well....

Quote:
I agree totally, but it si an interesting story, don;t you think? Of an heretical muslim prophet who created a text so vile that he had to flee the Ottoman Empire entirely. And then went insane when he realized what he had created.
Nothing of the sort ever occured. As I have stated the Necronomicon is a work of Fiction as is most of the stuff you Monkeys write. Though I must say that it all makes for some interesting reading. I just got through with this Lavey characters Book the Satanic Bible. I must say that I was laughing from the first page to the last. I am now going to read the English Translation of the Illyiad By Homer. I am curious to see how much was lost in the translation.

" Eseis agapi idios!"
"Agkelos O Apo Afesis I"
"Arthro ypokosmos yparcho!"
Elikas Eseis!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-01   #32
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

Pardon me, you shmuck, but

I never said it was true, I just said that it makes for a good story.

Old 09-03-01   #33
Xuldemios
Xu-Xsurra-Ni

Xuldemios
Credits: 41,349
Re: Pardon me, you shmuck, but

Quote:
I never said it was true, I just said that it makes for a good story.
Shmuck. What is that. Did I offend you. I do not apologize if I did.

" Eseis agapi idios!"
"Agkelos O Apo Afesis I"
"Arthro ypokosmos yparcho!"
Elikas Eseis!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-01   #34
Guy_Person
Unvested Dandy

Nope

You didn't offend me. It just sounded like you didn;t really get what I meant. And I think "shmuck" is yiddish for penis.

Old 09-04-01   #35
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Feroluce is on a distinguished road
Credits: 99,922
Quote:
Originally posted by Dyshade
There is no one alive today that can answer the questions of the Universe.... so I doubt very highly that you can show us any scientific proof dear Feroluce....
Well I'm glad you cleared that one up then

And I never mentioned the word "world" or "universe"

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
Old 09-04-01   #36
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Well.... what were you alluding to??? you said you could come up with scientific evidence??? Elaborate..... set me straight as it were.... Show me some scientific evidence of what ever it may be... Either be specific when posting or expect assumptions.... your choice...

S.O.D.

Old 09-04-01   #37
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Feroluce is on a distinguished road
Credits: 99,922
Assume away.

Quote:
Originally posted by Feroluce
Ah, that would be telling

I was on the outskirts of it for a long while then I got sick and I needed to know the full story to get through it. It takes a very strong willed person to learn because it destroys all your belief structures. Why do you need faith when you have knowledge?
I was just at a point in my life where I could handle it.

A small few of us know the full story and a few more know parts and we are to make sure that it doesn't become common knowledge.

Frank L.Baum touched on it in his most famous work

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
Old 09-04-01   #38
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Nope I do not like "Secret" groups... I think they are secret because if everyone knew what they really knew we would know that they were full of shit.... Knowledge should be shared wholesale rather then parceled.... it is asinine thoughts like that which lead to bigotry, and segregation.... it is also thoughts along those lines which led to the dark ages.... knowledge should expand rather then destroy your beliefs....

S.O.D.

Old 09-04-01   #39
Shadowborn
Grand Master Geek

Shadowborn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 239,493
Quote:
Originally posted by Dyshade
Nope I do not like "Secret" groups... I think they are secret because if everyone knew what they really knew we would know that they were full of shit.... Knowledge should be shared wholesale rather then parceled.... it is asinine thoughts like that which lead to bigotry, and segregation.... it is also thoughts along those lines which led to the dark ages.... knowledge should expand rather then destroy your beliefs....
Excellent post, Dyshade. Lets not forget paranoia, hatred, and at the worst of times, mass murder. For a group of people to feel that they have the wisdom to determine who is worthy or unworthy of knowledge that can expand one's horizons is sheer hubris.

On a side note, one thing to remember when arguing the existence of something or the validity of a certain point of view:

Prove it.

Otherwise it simply boils down to an argument of 'Nah-huh!....Yes huh!...Nah-huh...". Site yours sources, people...or if you can't remember them, say so. It helps an argument if you have proof to back it up.

Shadowborn
Old 09-04-01   #40
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

You are quite correct Shadowborn.... I missed your commentary...
Nice to have you back.....

S.O.D.