Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Welcome > Socialize
Reload this Page Is goth music anything to do with heavy/black metal?

Old 06-11-03   #21
prometheus
Darkness Incarnate

prometheus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 47,208
That's absolutely true... Where do you come from Lillith, if you don't mind me asking?
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03   #22
Lillith

Cape Town... I thought you knew?!
Old 06-11-03   #23
prometheus
Darkness Incarnate

prometheus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 47,208
No, I thought you were from Canada for some reason... I just realised you obviously were not from America or Europe when you made that last post...

In Britain, I think the Goth / Punk / Metal style is definitely more of a melting pot than in the USA...
Old 06-20-03   #24
Dirge
Cute as 3.14

Location: at home getting hammered while shes out getting nailed
Dirge is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,744
In Canada, generally speaking, "goths" will listen to anything dark and moody , Me and most my freinds can name the most elitist of industrial bands and then be into Cradle or Misfits or a myraid of other non goth bands. And at least locally scenes blend into one another seemlessly, admittedly Calgary is small compares to other cities but our alternative scenes are thriving, in one week you can go to a goth night, fetish event and metal show, pretty cool if ya ask me
Old 06-22-03   #25
NMaries

Re: Is goth music anything to do with heavy/black metal?

Quote:
Originally posted by One
There are two main reasons why black metal and its followers are confused with goths and gothic rock.

Firstly, there are elements of dress and style in common; dark clothes, monochrome make-up, weird silver jewelry, etc. As a general rule though, if you see an upside-down cross, pentacle (five pointed start in a circle)with a point directly downwards, or any satanic message, the wearer is a black metaller and not a goth.

Secondly, black metal can quite correctly be referred to as "gothic music" - meaning "barbarous, uncouth" (OED). "Gothic Rock", or simply "goth" is what describes the music of the post-punk subculture that is the subject of this document.

Black metal tends to have associated with it Satanism, and in some cases racism. Goths abhor racism, and, goth is not about religion (of any kind).

Heavy metal, in particular bands such as Black Sabbath and Metallica are sometimes labeled 'gothic' also. Again it is not part of the gothic movement. Some goths do appreciate the music however, but then there are those who appreciate the Spice Girls, Aqua, or the pop-trend of the day.
None of them really have anything to do with eachother. But all those groups are fairly up on the "No Rules" genre, so it never really mattered.