Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Seeking Information: Necronomicon

Old 02-12-02   #21
DarkStorm
Darkness Incarnate

DarkStorm
Credits: 107,759
Jordyn and I post merely seconds apart with the exact same opinion...

Interesting...
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-02   #22
Set
Evil Incarnate

Set is on a distinguished road
Credits: 84,531
Ok Let's make a bet......

Find me one person who will go out and buy a Bible so they can gain great power and I will admit that The Necronomion exist.

The Great and Sexy "Slaves of Set".

-- Duddy
--Guy_Person
-- Dark Messiah
-- Chaos Creator
-- Tisha19
-- Mistressbitch
-- LillyDara
-- ~*Rebeckah*~
-- Clearwitch (part time)
-- Angel of Melody
-- ChupaKabraz
-- MorbidSukkubus
-- SirVLCIV

Old 02-12-02   #23
DarkStorm
Darkness Incarnate

DarkStorm
Southern Baptists?

I'll ask Sphyre, she can tell you who'd go out and do that...

Seriously, haven't you seen the infomercials? People have gone so far as to say the bible will give you psychic powers!

And surely the doomsday prophets who base their information on the bible must believe that the bible holds great supernatural power as it supposedly fostered their precognition of the end of the world...

There's probably more believers in the bible holding a "great power" similar to that spoken of in the necronomicon (although used for good not evil... hah) than there are actual copies of the necronomicon itself... crappy copies included!
Old 02-12-02   #24
Set
Evil Incarnate

*looks over at Jordyn*

It's like talking to a brick wall.

*leaves thread*

-- Duddy
--Guy_Person
-- Dark Messiah
-- Chaos Creator
-- Tisha19
-- Mistressbitch
-- LillyDara
-- ~*Rebeckah*~
-- Angel of Melody
-- ChupaKabraz
-- MorbidSukkubus
-- SirVLCIV

Old 02-12-02   #25
Set
Evil Incarnate

Re: Seeking Information: Necronomicon

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkStorm
the original Necronomicon contained......... original contents of the necronomicon.
............and yes, you did call the book the "Necronomicon".

*leaves thread again*

-- Duddy
--Guy_Person
-- Dark Messiah
-- Chaos Creator
-- Tisha19
-- Mistressbitch
-- LillyDara
-- ~*Rebeckah*~
-- Angel of Melody
-- ChupaKabraz
-- MorbidSukkubus
-- SirVLCIV

Old 02-12-02   #26
DarkStorm
Darkness Incarnate

DarkStorm
I'm just trying to make a point Set. I'm not saying that the Necronomicon holds a great power. I am saying that it existed, and perhaps still exists.

I don't think I'm being ill-receptive to the points you've raised here. I just have a lot of information which verifies my claims... I'd appreciate the same from you if you can find it. I'll certainly listen to any externally re-enforced argument against the Necronomicon's existance. I'm sure you'd understand that if it didn't exist I wouldn't want to be wasting time or money on finding it or an acceptable copy. But thus far you've only said that it was an invention of H. P. Lovecraft. I'm saying you're partially correct. Until H.P. Lovecraft it may have never been referred to as "The Necronomicon." But it's not the semantics of the name I'm interested in. As the often coined term goes "...would a rose by any other name not smell as sweet?"

Why don't you just do this: Whenever you see me say the word "Necronomicon" replace it with the phrase, "the texts currently known as the Necronomicon."
Old 02-12-02   #27
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Credits: 804,473
Ok... just because.... here is a quote....

"inventing a book of his own called the Necronomicon, quoted lavishly from its pages, and incorporated into his fiction a complex apparatus of names and dates of translators and editions, thus making a deliberate and surprisingly succesful attempt to convince the reader that there actually was such a book. The degree with which Lovecraft succeeded in persuading his readers to accept this completely imaginary book as genuine is reflected in the fact That antiquarian book sellers have actually advertised for copies."

Lin Carter
Editors Note
The Doom That Came To Sarnath

"Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds
That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress,
When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds
Whose shining vistas mock mans littleness?"
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
"Phaeton"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S.O.D.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-12-02   #28
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

SilentShade will become famous soon enoughSilentShade will become famous soon enough
Speaking of the Mad Arab.... here is another quote from the Master himself

In a letter to Frank Belknap
Dated
1/26/1921

" At the risk of boring you, I will enclose my latest- just finished and typed- The Nameless City. This had its basis in a dream, which in turn was probably caused by contemplation of the peculiar suggestiveness of a phrase in Dunsanys Book Of Wonder- "the unreverberate blackness of the abyss." The character of the mad Arab Alhazred is FICTITIOUS. The lines are mine- written especially for the story- and Abdul Alhazred is a psuedonym I took when I was about five years old and crazy about the Arabian Nights. I hardly know what to think of this story- you are the first to see it- but I certainly put enough work into it. I tore up two beginnings, only hitting the right atmosphere the third time, and destroyed or rather rearranged one conclusion."

so you see... the mad arab was completely made up....

S.O.D.

Old 02-12-02   #29
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

by the by.... the creation tale within the pages of the modern Necronomicon written by Simon is the Enuma Elish which is the Babylonian Creation Epic.... which by the by was directly taken from the Sumerian Creation Epic..... this is the only part of the book which dates further back than 1975.....

S.O.D.

Old 02-12-02   #30
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Ummm darkstorm... who were you quoting when you stated that Crowley met that Strinsberg or whatever guys name.... please list the publication, author, and dates.... as in 1896 Crowley would have been only 21.... old enough I am sure.... yet I would like to research this... as far as i know Crowley never once mentioned such a book with that name nor nothin even akin to it in his life....

S.O.D.

Old 02-12-02   #31
SilentShade
The King Douche
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkStorm
Hey! I checked back in the last 5 pages of the religion forum and didn't find any titles mentioning the word "necronomicon"

And besides...

even if the modern take on the necronomicon doesn't exist (even though there's references to it older than H.P. Lovecraft) there's always the Egyptian Book of the Dead, which, by the way, did exist and wasn't just a creation of Universal Studios for their Mummy movie...
please list these referances.... with publication dates, authors....
also the Egyptian Book Of The Dead does not relate to Simons Necronomicon in the least.... it is not even close.... oh... all the symbology and a lot of the demons listed in that modern publication are Sumerian and Babylonian demons... kinda mixed up.... such as Pazuzu.... demon lord of plague, disease, rot, locusts, blight....etc... ad nauseam... who was a Babylonian figure.... H.P.Lovecraft by the by was born in 1890.... and as I quoted him as saying he made up the whole mad arab thingie at age five.... talk about a wonderful imagination... and that would have been in 1895....

S.O.D.

Old 03-06-02   #32
Jordyn
paraphiliac

Jordyn is on a distinguished road
Credits: 825,096
maybe someone could merge these?