Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Simple Guideline

Old 12-10-01   #1
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Feroluce is on a distinguished road
Credits: 99,822
Simple Guideline

Just read something by Errant in the Vegetarians thread and I get what he's on about.

Philosophy is the Science of thoughts and ideas.
An idea ceases to be an idea when it becomes a reality.

If you post that you were hit in the head by a ladder rather than saying "do you think ladders pose a risk to peoples heads?" you're making the discussion real and affecting the replies of other people, we're a close knit community here and no doubt if one of us got assaulted by a ladder it would change the groups view of ladders.
Then the discussion is no longer about Philosophy but about one of us getting hurt and if peoples opinions become biased this restricts the exploration of the subject ona philosophical level.
Try and remove personal facts from your posts, unless essential for examples of course.
Threads are bound to meander from the thread subject, especially in the context of philosophy but they should still be in the spirit of the forum.

Just a thought

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-01   #2
Clearwitch
Runaway
Overlord

Clearwitch is on a distinguished road
Credits: 237,448
This should be on top...

*nudges errant*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-01   #3
Aeternus
-= Grey CyberAngel =-

Location: 41:65:74:65:72:6E:75:73 => 58:65:78:71:82:89:58:00 <=
Aeternus is on a distinguished road
Credits: 112,545
Does an idea cease to be an idea in reality? Can an idea become reality, wholly?

Think of it, has anything EVER worked out -just- how you thought it would? If no, ideas stay just that...

... Time has no bearing...
...when the whiteout begins...

Don't come after me...

Old 12-10-01   #4
malkit
It is always too late

malkit
Credits: 5,390
Just read something by Errant in the Vegetarians thread and I get what he's on about.Philosophy is the Science of thoughts and ideas.

I follow as long as he doesn't mean that it is none philosophical to debate moral problems.

I the above sentence you have a metaphysical problem because Humans live in reality. But if an idea can't be apart of reality. It seems to me that it is imposible for humans to have ideas.

I think your definition of philosophy is really vague because, how do we get these ideas? and what do they have to do with thoughts and how do they differ?
What do you understand when you say its a science of thoughts?
Old 12-10-01   #5
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by malkit

I think your definition of philosophy is really vague because, how do we get these ideas? and what do they have to do with thoughts and how do they differ?
What do you understand when you say its a science of thoughts?
It's supposed to be vague

You can't make rules about how people should think!

As to how do we get these ideas and how they differ?
Philosophy is figuring that out.

Science of thoughts, just quoting Aristotle.

Pschiatry is the science of thinking
Psychology is the science of feeling
Philosophy is the science of that which is thought, the science of morals, whether personal or social.

What do you understand when I say it's a science of thoughts?
It doesn't really matter, there's no black and white in philosophy, everybody thinks differently, we can learn to understand how others think and therefore broaden our own horizons.
In philosophy, if a question os answered conclusively it ceases to be philosophy and becomes another science.
Philosophy is the science of thought

© Feroluce™ 2001-11, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance. The above opinion may contain information unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
Old 12-10-01   #6
errantrogue
which one, though?

errantrogue is on a distinguished road
Credits: 288,983
as i was alluding in the veg thread, this is not a place for finding like minded people, this is a place for questioning any and everything... if u happen to find like minded people along the way then all well and good, but that is not the goal of the philosophy board...

besides... i like meat... but if i want to find meateaters like me, id head down to the local deli... or maybe texas... but im not going to ask for fleshconsumers here on THIS board...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"But this is America, where we unapologetically bastardize other countries' cultures in a gross quest for moral and military supremacy." L.G.
Old 12-12-01   #7
malkit
It is always too late

malkit
Credits: 5,390
I think that people should think a bit more about their posts. Because it would improve the debate in here a lot.
Do you need examples? look in the vegetarien tread and the "Is there an infinity inbetween all numbers? Are all distances an infinity?" tread.
Old 12-13-01   #8
DarkStorm
Darkness Incarnate

DarkStorm
Credits: 107,639
I think we suffer from a lack of opposition. It's not so much that people are looking for like-minded people. It's just that people are coming on to the board and saying "sounds good enough to me." Philosophy really IS about coming to consensus. The trick is finding philosophical subjects of debate that are difficult or impossible to reach consensus with. I believe I mentioned a few good subjects in Pyrric's "you're all stupid" thread. It would be to our advantage if from time to time one of us went to our local library, hit the philosophy section, and outlined a book on a particular philosophy. "Why is there something rather than nothing?" is a perfect philosophy thread. There's no immediate consensus, it can be approached from a thousand different perspectives. It's a topic which encourages a difference in opinion.

I think people also need to learn to be a lot less personal. Just because your theory or argument is under attack, does not mean you are under attack. Philosophy is almost synonomous with debate. One should expect one's ideas to be debated.

In hindsight, I should probably go back to my old ways of philosophical discussion and debate for the sake of debating. I once often debated for the opposite side of what I believed, just because noone else would. Perhaps those of you well versed in philosophical debate should take to doing that. Just for the sake of having some real philisophical debate.
Old 12-13-01   #9
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Sometimes Playing Devils Advocate can be fun too.

I tried it here for a while but it got a little out of hand, I think we may need a devils advocate smiley or something if not people just get offended because you are spending all your time refuting everything they say..

Old 12-13-01   #10
DarkStorm
Darkness Incarnate

DarkStorm
Credits: 107,639
That's my point though. Too many people are spending too much time trying not to step on peoples toes. It's counter-productive.
Old 12-13-01   #11
DeeeeShevil
Real Deshy

DeeeeShevil is on a distinguished road
Credits: 67,924
Re: Simple Guideline

Quote:
Originally posted by Feroluce
Just read something by Errant in the Vegetarians thread and I get what he's on about.

Philosophy is the Science of thoughts and ideas.

If you post that you were hit in the head by a ladder rather than saying "do you think ladders pose a risk to peoples heads?" you're making the discussion real and affecting the replies of other people, we're a close knit community here and no doubt if one of us got assaulted by a ladder it would change the groups view of ladders.
Then the discussion is no longer about Philosophy but about one of us getting hurt and if peoples opinions become biased this restricts the exploration of the subject ona philosophical level.
Try and remove personal facts from your posts, unless essential for examples of course.
Threads are bound to meander from the thread subject, especially in the context of philosophy but they should still be in the spirit of the forum.

Just a thought
that's a very good thought.
Old 02-20-02   #12
Feroluce
Brain Candy

Back to the top

This should assuage the problems some people are having by not getting "proof" for philosophical thoughts and ideas

Old 02-20-02   #13
DeeeeShevil
Real Deshy

DeeeeShevil is on a distinguished road
Credits: 67,924
haha ok.