Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Hey fr0g

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Dark Messiah will become famous soon enough
Credits: 2,639
Hey fr0g

Watch this with me so we can complain about the Littlefinger plot again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJyVIqMX6Q8
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,162
He pretty much nailed all my feelings about it. I guess my question is, why did so many people like it so much? I feel like you, and I, and a few people on youtube are the only ones that see how fucking bad it was. Like people don't even realize what made the show interesting in the first place. They're just happy to see sneaky Littlefinger get what's coming to him, and not realize how killing off the last complex character in your show might cause it to become boring as fuck.

I would add that The Hound should be/could be one of those interesting characters like Jaime, but now he's just super heroic guy that says "cunt" all the time. Fuuuuuck these writers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

People who liked this season are little kids who are happy because their parents stopped caring and let them just eat ice cream for dinner.

The fact that a show isn't made interesting by just giving the viewers everything they want really easily is kind of lost on them. People really wanted Littlefinger to die because he's super evil and didn't notice or care that his downfall was dumb and a contrivance arranged by shitting on established rules of the setting and characters involved.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

I honestly thought Littlefinger would be one of the few survivors til the end. He was set up as, above all else, a survivor. If nothing else, it will drive me to finish the books, just so I can see if he gets the fate he deserves, or at least a fitting end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Have you seen Narcos on Netflix yet?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Heathen
Still The Last

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Credits: 52,529
What are you two still doing here?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Talking about Game of Thrones and wishing we'd made better life decisions. Or maybe that's just me.

DF is pretty chill now. It's like a facebook group without all the... facebook.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

It's true we no longer act like dicks to each other for no reason. It's pretty lame.

Well, not very often anyway.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

I haven't seen Narcos. In general I am not a huge fan of gangster/mafia stories tbh.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

I only bring it up because there is a bad-guy character death in it that, when I saw it, made me think of Littlefinger, and wish he'd gotten a similar treatment. The protagonist had to overcome a lot to take this guy out, and when he did it was simultaneously cathartic to see him kill this evil character, yet it made you worry for him resorting to violence like that. When Sansa orders Littlefinger's death there is no real feeling about it. She won't be effected. It isn't cathartic because her reasons for killing him in the moment are spurious at best, and it isn't a decision she seems to struggle with. The next scene they shrug it off, and you get the feeling she will never think of it again. Such a waste.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

Yeah. Like, ignoring all of the fuck ups that lead up to Littlefinger's death, there is no instance in the show where it would have been more meaningful for a character to live out the Stark credo about "Who passes the sentence should swing the blade." Sansa murdering this character that's been, for all his evil and pervy uncle-ness, her savior and mentor for seasons, who's saved her life multiple times, it would have been significant. It would have been dark and made us actually question the morality of what was going on.

But yeah it's obviously not going to affect her any and Arya is just like, apparently free license to be a sociopath with no repercussions so whatever.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

It's similar to one of the worst moments in the season earlier. Like, I hated the Brienne vs. Arya fight scene a lot for a lot of reasons, but the absolute worst part was Arya saying she wants to fight Brienne because the castle's trainer "Didn't beat the hound." And then she smiles, like this is a fun game to her.

The view could be forgiven for forgetting that at this point in the story, Arya thinks the Hound is dead, and he was a father figure to her. Like even last season, which sucked a lot in its own right in the writing department, they explicitly addressed and acknowledged that Arya had deep emotional feels for the Hound as someone who had taught her and protected her and risked his life for her, and that despite his flaws and killing Micah she still had a lot of emotions there.

But in that scene it was just shrug, whatever, You killed the Hound. That makes you a badass and I love fighting badasses because I'm Arya the idiot's version of what female empowerment looks like.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

I hadn't really considered it that way, but you're right. They turned a full season story arc into a throwaway one-liner. And as the original video post states... why is Arya such a badass? She spent a season getting beat up and stabbed, not actually training. Why did she, for a moment, seem so eager to kill Sansa? I thought the whole reason she ditched the faceless men was because she wanted to be Arya Stark. Was that whole threatening scene just to set the stage for the "twist"?

Like wouldn't it have been compelling to find evidence of Sansa's colluding with the Lannisters, and show Arya actually fighting an internal battle, and comparing it to the things she's had to do to survive? Maybe a conversation with Littlefinger where he steers her to that conclusion and we actually see Arya struggle with the fact that her reunion with her sister is short lived. But no, that would cut into the precious screen time we need to show dragons setting boats on fire, and sweeping shots of big armies for the 4000th time. Oh, and also setting up the grossest relationship in all of TV with Jon and Danaerys.

Which, by the way, I'm not even the slightest bit invested in. The show sets it up like it's some slow-burn romance that has been building for seasons. This isn't Luke and Lorelai (Gilmore Girls) or Pacey and Joey (Dawson's Creek). These people met, eyefucked each other, then decided they had to bang, consequences be damned. I did not want them to be together, and everybody who did only did so because of the Fire & Ice "coolness" factor. There's no compelling story reason for them to be together. It isn't a romance, it's incest for the sake of incest.

It's like every complaint I have leads to another complaint, and I could fall down this spiral forever.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Dark Messiah
Half-Wit Intellectual
Admin

You have spoken the thoughts that are in my heart also.

Like fuck it is hard to exaggerate how little I care about Jon x Dany.

Partially because Dany's been a trash awful character since season 2 and while I had eventually come to like Jon Snow, I could not give any shits less about Aegon Targaryen. Like holy shit why couldn't he just be a bastard, why does every orphan and bastard protagonist have to secretly turn out to be a long lost prince, this is like the dumbest oldest cliche in fantasy. As a central plot element in Game of Fucking Thrones.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,595
You're all cunts and I hate you.

I'm channelling 15 year old WL now that I'm back in Myrtle Beach.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Messiah View Post
You have spoken the thoughts that are in my heart also.

Like fuck it is hard to exaggerate how little I care about Jon x Dany.

Partially because Dany's been a trash awful character since season 2 and while I had eventually come to like Jon Snow, I could not give any shits less about Aegon Targaryen. Like holy shit why couldn't he just be a bastard, why does every orphan and bastard protagonist have to secretly turn out to be a long lost prince, this is like the dumbest oldest cliche in fantasy. As a central plot element in Game of Fucking Thrones.
I'm OK with him being a Targaryen, but I would like to see an ending where he finally comes to the realization that he isn't a Targaryen or a Stark, and accept that he is who he is without a family name backing him up, and actually chooses to be a Snow. That's probably way too deep for this crop of writers, however.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lady View Post
You're all cunts and I hate you.

I'm channelling 15 year old WL now that I'm back in Myrtle Beach.
Are you back there permanently or just visiting? Want to go raid vampirefreaks.net?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Sic Simon
Permanently Banned

Sic Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 309,014
Ooh ooh said raiding parties in I would gladly participate

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
Sic Simon
Permanently Banned

Sic Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 309,014
You know I'm good for making several accounts and getting into arguments with myself

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefr0g View Post
Are you back there permanently or just visiting? Want to go raid vampirefreaks.net?
Hell no. Not for good. I'm just visiting my mom. It's fucking weird to be posting on DF from my mom's house in Myrtle Beach. And talking to you. I keep saying that, but for real I've not been back here since I graduated. But I will say this... If I had any desire to move back to America, this trip has quashed it.