Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions
Home Register FAQ
Go Back   Darkforum.com - Dark Stories, Dark Art, Poetry, Photography, Debates and Discussions > Discussions > Topic Discussions
Reload this Page Evolution of the Internet

Old 09-05-13   #1
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wicked Lady is on a distinguished road
Credits: 653,740
Evolution of the Internet

Warning: The WL posts a real topic here. It will likely stay dormant, but at least I have the satisfaction of having tried to start an actual discussion... with myself...

So this whole thing going round the media these days about people being mean on the internet and other people killing themselves and people being prosecuted and so forth... am I the only person going WTF?!

I mean, seriously?

I like to think that we here at Darkforum.com LLC hold one of the original patents on internet mean-osity, what with the boards and the IRC channel. And I have no doubt that many a goth kid cut him/herself in the wake of our verbal assaults. (Looking at you, fr0g. Vicious bastard made me cry when I was 15. )

But I can't help but wonder if kids are really -that- weak now that they actually off themselves.

How many times have we told someone to "do it on webcam" when they threatened to kill themselves? How many times have we manipulated and lied and scammed and conned and done all kinds of horrible things to people here?

Are things so different on this here modern internet that we actually need an international government consortium to produce laws and bylaws? Or is this only a big deal because celebrities now bitch about it and we have 24/7 news rammed down our throats?

I miss the internet, and I reserve my right to call someone a fat whore with a giant forehead and saggy tits iffin I want to. LONG LIVE DARKFORUM, even if it's only in our memories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13   #2
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

thefr0g will become famous soon enough
Credits: 50,470,352
Dealing with cyber bullies is not dealing with the root of the problem. Someone who is going to kill themselves because a stranger made fun of them obviously have some mental health issues. Sure, the bullying may have pushed them to eat a bullet, but if it hadn't been the cyber bully it would likely have been the real world bully, or relationship problems, or problems at their job. The root of the problem is mental health, because people with good mental health don't consider suicide to be an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-13   #3
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

You mean like self-esteem classes? Pretty much the root of all goth problems is self-esteem.

Old 09-07-13   #4
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

Nah, plenty of people have low self esteem but dont want to kill themselves because someone is mean to them. Suicidal thoughts are a symptom of a disease, and we should be fighting the disease.

Old 09-08-13   #5
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Dunno that people actually consider mental health a "thing". To put it into perspective, my company pays for me to have private medical insurance. Obviously it only covers a certain amount of shit because we have the NHS, such as my MS. I wouldn't expect it to cover that as I have a viable (and good) alternative in the NHS. But it's interesting that it doesn't cover mental health in any way, shape, or form. Wanna know what the NHS alternative is? Going to see your GP, who then refers you, then you go on a waiting list.

Saying that, though, I'm an adult and can pretty much handle myself. it hasn't been overly long since I was a teenager; you knew me then. Isn't it hard to tell the difference between normal teenage fucked up-edness and serious mental demons?

Old 09-09-13   #6
thefr0g
Ooglemagthorpe
Admin

It is. I don't know what the answer is, I just know that prosecuting people for being assholes isn't going to help.

Old 09-09-13   #7
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

The unfortunate reality is that this "issue" is the current media flavor. I hate to give props to Marilyn Manson but he was right when he said the media is the largest contributing factor in mental health. Fucked up kids see other fucked up kids getting immortalised for their fucked upness after they off themselves.

Moral of the story: people suck.

Old 09-10-13   #8
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Sik Simon is on a distinguished road
Credits: 26,877
The problem is the parents. These kids are over medicated and raised by the internet.
Old 09-20-13   #9
Wicked Lady
A Motherfuckin' Chainsaw
AdminGuide

Wait, how is it the parents? We all had parents, some shitty and some great. We all grew up (those of us under 30 and/or a giant IRC-using nerd) with the internet in some form. I remember when AIM came into power, and I talked to the kids in my 7th grade English class and shared homework tips.

I'm questioning whether the entire mentality of kids has changed. Or if it's the same as it ever was, we just know about it now due to the constant and instant news culture.

Old 09-20-13   #10
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

Every generation has its different collective viewpoints, and different mindsets because it's a different world in general. I can't say I understand this generation any better than I understand what the yuppies were on about. What ever happened to reading comic books and talking on the phone instead of communicating on the internet, which isn't that big of a stretch from a phone. It's a different medium but the issues are the same as s ours were. I just don't understand what kind of mindset the parents are in.
If I went to my parents when I was in school and told them someone was bullying me I'm sure they would tell me to stop being a little bitch and stand up for myself. They'd be driving me to the bus stop and trying to motivate me , oh that's the one who's bullying you that little shrimp? Go headbutt him in the face and we will take you to krispy Kreme
Old 09-22-13   #11
crimsonnyte
A Bit of Luck

crimsonnyte is on a distinguished road
Credits: 109,389
It's gotta be generational and the way social changes affect people. A lady I work with (who's my parents' age) had told me before that she was bullied as a kid but she certainly didn't consider killing herself over it. I think maybe kids now are coddled more than they should be. Life's certainly not all buttercups and roses...though their parents try to make it appear that way.

I hope I'm not offtrack with that comment...I didn't go back and re-read the first message in the thread...
Old 09-24-13   #12
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

The synopsis was that this generation is uber sensitive to bullying. May be because they don't get bullied enough I geuss, well I'm gonna put myself out on a limb here, literally Xd. I've tried to commit suicide on a few occasions and it was never because of what they d say or do, because I was very cold, I geuss, really, I could give ten thousand flying fucks what anybody had to say, cept my baby. Sometimes it will do you well to become one with the void. Btw you end up ignorant and kind of an assailed.
Old 09-24-13   #13
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

I meant to say asshole lol
Old 05-21-14   #14
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

http://www.nationswell.com/13-year-o...ampaign=social
Old 05-21-14   #15
Sik Simon
Ate God
Overlord

It's a map that supposedly searches out social media sites for bullying, what it does after that I have no idea. Maybe there's a ringleader behind these packets of bullying, and it finds them so you can just shut down all these bullying operations.